- Blood Tribune Quarters
Dragon's Stand (Heart of Thorns)
(Heart of Maguuma)
(Domain of Kourna)
- Blood Legion
- Renown Heart
Rytlock as a warrior.
Our strength will shake the foundations of the world.
Rytlock Brimstone is a Blood Legion Tribune stationed in Black Citadel as part of its vanguard, and a member of the Stone Warband, Destiny's Edge and Dragon's Watch. He wields the legendary sword Sohothin.
As a cub, Rytlock was the youngest of the striplings whom the smallest cubs of his fahrar were called. He was often pejoratively called "Runtlock", and his parents left him to struggle with bullies on his own. Eventually Rytlock and the other striplings banded together with him as their leader and made the bullies stop by teaching them "a few lessons." Since that time, Rytlock could never tolerate bullies of any kind. This band of striplings eventually formed the Stone Warband in the Blood Legion and was composed of about a dozen males and dozen females, with Rytlock selecting the surname Brimstone for himself. While in the fahrar, Rytlock and his warband mate Crecia Stoneglow often spotted ice elementals coming down from Shiverpeaks Pass in Grothmar Valley. Despite being of the Blood Legion, Rytlock also spent some time in the Iron Legion's territory in Ascalon as a cub. He used to explore around Grendich Courthouse, believing there to be treasure.
Rytlock got to know Rox of the Pick Warband from the time she was a cub, and learned of her superstitious beliefs and use of good luck charms and rituals. Rytlock had several cubs over the years, with the eldest being the son Ryland Steelcatcher whom he had sired with Crecia. He was not supposed to be a part of their lives but, unlike his own parents, he did visit the cubs occasionally to see how they were doing as he did not want them to suffer from bullying or bully other cubs.
At some point Blood Imperator Bangar Ruinbringer selected Rytlock and Crecia to infiltrate the Flame Legion and sabotage its operations from the inside. The pair carried out their mission with diligence even though Rytlock had to restrain himself from killing any Flame Legion member he encountered in the garrison where they were stationed in.
While on the mission, Crecia and Rytlock discovered that the garrison had received Prince Rurik's lost sword Sohothin which Flame Legion agents had discovered on the Ring of Fire islands and were intending to deliver to Flame Imperator Gaheron Baelfire. Crecia objected to Rytlock's plan to steal the sword as it would compromise their mission and put them both in danger; despite Crecia's warnings, however, Rytlock killed the guards protecting the sword and begged her to leave with him. Intent on keeping up her cover, Crecia stabbed Rytlock in the leg and sounded an alarm to make herself look less suspicious to the Flame Legion who chased after Rytlock. Despite the pursuit and suffering from the wound, Rytlock successfully returned to the Blood Legion Homelands.
Bangar was initially furious at Rytlock for blowing his cover and disobeying orders until he learned that Rytlock had stolen Sohothin. Deciding to use the magic sword as a propaganda tool against the Flame Legion, the Blood Imperator sent Rytlock and the Stone Warband on the front lines. Although Rytlock used the sword with diligence at first, his fame as a legendary Flame Legion killer and wielder of Sohothin gradually emboldened him and made him ignore his superiors' orders while he also grew distant from his warband. Bangar summoned Rytlock to the Blood Citadel where he voiced his displeasure and that he had considered executing the reckless warrior for the acts of defiance. Although Bangar justified his arguments with Rytlock's disobedience having needlessly endangered his fellow soldiers in battle, he also made it clear that he did not like Rytlock believing he was better than the Blood Imperator himself.
Instead of executing the warrior or making him a gladium as punishment, however, Bangar promoted Rytlock and sent him on "a tour of the legions" so the warrior's presence would "motivate" the other High Legions. As he delivered the punishment masked as a reward, Bangar enjoyed the thought of Rytlock, who did not hold a high opinion of the other legions at the time, being miserable abroad more than he enjoyed winning their verbal clash. For the longest time Rytlock considered this encounter with the Blood Imperator as his greatest failure. He would later learn that Crecia had only stabbed him to take suspicion off herself, and he continued reminiscing about her in the following years. Rytlock became interested in human history and studied it for ways to end the Foefire curse as well as Sohothin's significance as a weapon.
During his tour of the High Legions, in 1319 AE, Rytlock Brimstone was assigned to assist Iron Legion's Centurion Korrak Blacksnout raiding party of three hundred soldiers in tracking down human caravans passing through the Blazeridge Gap. When questioned, Rytlock claimed he had left his warband and was working with the Iron Legion of his own accord, though Korrak criticized that Rytlock was around because his warband and legion couldn't stand Brimstone's arrogance. Shortly after an argument, a human scouting party led by Logan Thackeray, ambushed the charr forces and forced a landslide to bury most of their forces alive.
With the death of Centurion Korrak Blacksnout at his own hands, Rytlock took charge of the remains of the group and pursued Logan's, trapping them in a dead-end. However, the two groups were quickly forced to team up when they were attacked by Chiefling Ygor and his ogres, with only Rytlock and Logan surviving at the end of the initial skirmish. Joined by the Firstborn sylvari Caithe, the three fled from more ogres led by Ygor's vengeful father Chief Kronon, and then destroyers to Lion's Arch.
Rytlock refused to tell Logan how he had acquired Sohothin which was a human relic. After destroying a building during the clash over the ownership of the sword, the pair and Caithe were thrown into jail by the Lionguard and were offered to fight for their freedom in a gladiatorial arena by Captain Magnus Irondawn. They fought as Edge of Steel, and were undefeated until a group called Dragonspawn's Destiny—which included the norn Eir Stegalkin, the dire wolf Garm, and the asura Snaff and Zojja—bested them. The victors commissioned the trio to join forces with them to help defeat the Dragonspawn, a champion of the Elder Dragon Jormag.
While on the mission, Logan, who had begun bonding with Rytlock during their many fights together, apologized to Rytlock for his earlier actions and gave him his approval to wield Sohothin. Rytlock, who had been talking with Snaff about the strengths of brotherly bonds the night before, was taken aback by Logan's earnesty and admitted in his own way that he had begun viewing Logan as a blood brother. To signify the growing friendship and brotherhood between them, Rytlock gave Logan a Blood Legion pendant, symbolically making him an honorary member of the Stone Warband. In return, Logan gave Rytlock a scarf recently gifted to him by Queen Jennah.
After the united group had defeated the Dragonspawn, the guild Destiny's Edge was formed. They went onto many great accomplishments, until their battle with the Elder Dragon Kralkatorrik, which resulted in the deaths of both Snaff and Glint after Logan had left to defend Ebonhawke and Queen Jennah from the Ogre Revolt. The group parted ways on bad terms thereafter.
After the split of Destiny's Edge, Rytlock was stripped of his rank and assigned menial work for his perceived desertion of his post and treachery of siding with humans, but rose quickly through the ranks of the Blood Legion by challenging and killing his superiors that insulted him for loving humans and taking their position until he reached the rank of Legionnaire, promising to himself he'd rise to Centurion in the same way soon. He felt guilt over failing to both protect Snaff and kill Kralkatorrik, and blamed Logan for abandoning the guild in its time of need, as well as his own weakness for trusting a human, for the defeat. Since then, Rytlock began to hate Logan as the human he had once considered a brother in arms now represented Rytlock's greatest failure.
Rytlock led the Blood Legion in an assault on a Flame Legion holdout south of the Loreclaw Expanse in 1324 AE and witnessed Ember Doomforge and Gullik Oddsson killing a shaman and destroying a Flame Legion Effigy. After the Flame Legion had been routed, the pair and their associates were brought in for questioning. Although Ember admitted to working for Imperator Malice Swordshadow of the Ash Legion, she refused to tell the Blood Legion officers about the nature of her mission. Rytlock intervened to stop the interrogation as he would be dining with the Ash Imperator at the end of the week and could ask her about the mission in person.
The tribune listened to Ember's story about having found two human prisoners—Dougal Keane and Riona Grady—near the Dragonbrand and her intentions to transport them for questioning with her associates Gullik and Kranxx. One of the prisoners was missing much to Ember's dismay, however, making Kranxx explain how he and the prisoners had been attacked by a stray member of the Flame Legion and Riona had given pursuit. Upon learning that a human was on the loose, Rytlock ordered his troops to sweep the area for Riona who was eventually brought back bruised.
Rytlock insisted on the group accompanying his troops in their march until they reached Ascalon Basin where his forces set up a camp. The tribune called for Ember and told her that he would let her group depart on a supply skiff and advised her not to travel east where his forces were headed to. Before leaving, Rytlock mentioned Ember sharing her grandmother's eyes with a smile, implying that he may have been aware of the group actually working for Ember's grandmother, General Almorra Soulkeeper of the Vigil, on a discreet mission.
By 1325 AE, Rytlock had become the most renowned Blood Legion soldier in Ascalon. After Caithe made several disastrous attempts to reform Destiny's Edge in order to battle the Elder Dragon Zhaitan whose influence was spreading into Central Tyria, Rytlock and Logan had a chance encounter at the Citadel of Flame, where both commanded groups seeking to defeat Gaheron Baelfire and investigate rumors of a powerful weapon the Flame Legion had that the Pact could use in the campaign against the Elder Dragon. After Logan saved Rytlock's life and they defeated Gaheron with the help of the Pact Commander, relations grudgingly improved between the two of them. After helping Zojja stop Kudu's plans in the Crucible of Eternity, they left for the Ruined City of Arah to confront Zhaitan. With the legendary guild reunited, they joined forces with the Pact Commander to defeat the Elder Dragon aboard the airship named The Glory of Tyria.
In 1326 AE, Rytlock took part in a defense quorum to address the threat of the Molten Alliance. After this, he gave Rox several missions to see if she was worthy of joining the Stone Warband. The missions included hunting the dragon champion Tequatl the Sunless which had become more powerful since the defeat of Zhaitan and bringing back its tail, acting as a charr representative during the Queen's Jubilee, and slaying Scarlet Briar. Rox failed in her final task, saving her friends Braham Eirsson and Marjory Delaqua instead, causing Rytlock to dismiss her as a free agent. Despite this, the two continued having an amiable relationship.
During Rox's warband trials, Rytlock's activities included the investigation of the Energy Probes scattered throughout Central Tyria, and monitoring the threat posed by Scarlet.
In 1327 AE, after years of research with the Durmand Priory, Rytlock came to believe he had found the correct combination of elements to reverse the Foefire curse. Prior to the Exodus, the Six Gods had given the Ascalonians two magical swords—Sohothin and Magdaer—and a magical crown. After gathering up the crown fragments which the Pact Commander had sought for him, Rytlock headed into Barradin's Vaults to perform the ritual, but failed, and the sword was lost to the Mists. Since it was impossible to dispel the Ascalonian ghosts without Sohothin, Rytlock had to quickly follow the sword into the portal, which closed up behind him.
Rytlock reappeared on Tyria from a mist portal as a revenant during the Pact's campaign against the Elder Dragon Mordremoth in the Heart of Maguuma. Using the new skills he had acquired in the Mists, he helped the Pact Commander's party to defeat an attack from Mordremoth's minions. Rox was interested in Rytlock's new powers, but the tribune did not divulge information on his experiences and instead urged the group to focus on finding the missing Destiny's Edge and ending the threat Mordremoth posed to the world.
The Commander decided to let Braham and Rytlock scout ahead for the missing members of Destiny's Edge. Rytlock used his new powers to locate Eir Stegalkin and witnessed Faolain stabbing her and leaving her to be killed by Mordremoth's Vinetooth minion. Rytlock helped the Commander and the group defeat the vinetooth and was forced to continue on before the other members of Destiny's Edge could meet the same fate. After the death of Eir, Rytlock and the group encountered Caithe and the newly corrupted Vinetooth Faolain. With the egg being dropped, Rytlock distracted Faolain while the Commander snatched the egg and fled. The group later split up again, and Rytlock left with one half of the group to track down the other members of Destiny's Edge.
After tracking down and rescuing both Zojja and Logan, Rytlock helped the Commander take down the vinetooth Faolain. They found Trahearne who was trapped by the Jungle Dragon, and in order to defeat Mordremoth, the Commander needed to enter the mind of the dragon through Trahearne. Rytlock expressed his wish to not enter the mind of Mordremoth due to his prolonged experiences in the Mists and instead stayed behind to protect the bodies of those who entered. In the mind of Mordremoth, the dragon tried to demoralize and kill the Commander with a Blighted version of Rytlock whom the Commander successfully turned against the dragon. Rytlock later witnessed the death of both Trahearne and Mordremoth by the Commander's hands.
At Eir's memorial in 1329 AE, Rytlock put forth the idea that Destiny's Edge was done and it was time to form a new guild. This led to the formation of Dragon's Watch. When Rytlock and the Commander stopped by Rata Novus at Taimi's request, he received a summons from the Black Citadel via General Almorra Soulkeeper, revealed to be the latest in a string of such summons, all of which he had crumpled up and ignored. The Commander sent him to get word to their other comrades, and he arrived in Bloodstone Fen with Marjory Delaqua in time to help with the attempt to "rescue" Caudecus from the White Mantle at their colosseum stronghold.
After learning that Primordus was active, Rytlock met with the Commander and Taimi in Rata Novus and participated in a simulation fight against Destroyers. Upon leaving the dragon lab, he was cornered by two members of the Adamant Guard who informed him that he had been stripped of his rank and charged with dereliction of duty, and that they were under orders to bring him back to the Citadel for questioning about his new revenant magic, by force if necessary. Rytlock complied peacefully, assuring the Commander that he would straighten out the situation. For the rest of the season, he was absent and only mentioned in passing.
At some point, Rytlock managed to give the Black Citadel a report on his recent adventures and he was allowed to keep his title of Tribune. He also stopped wearing his revenant blindfold, as he "got used to the voices in his head." Rytlock and Lady Kasmeer Meade arrived in Elona before the Commander. Upon the Commander's arrival in the Free City of Amnoon, Rytlock still withheld his reasons for pursuing Balthazar.
Later, Dragon's Watch split up to learn more about the Forged. Rytlock, Canach, and the Commander invaded the main forged camp in the Crystal Oasis, though Balthazar was nowhere to be found. The group followed Agent Kito to the Desert Highlands, where they confronted Balthazar, who expressed that he would spare Rytlock. After the death of Vlast, Rytlock had no choice but to tell his story. When Rytlock found Sohothin in the Mists, its flame had been extinguished. Nearby, he saw a disheveled stranger in chains who reignited Sohothin's flame. As a favor, Rytlock used Sohothin to free the stranger from his chains, who then opened a portal that allowed Rytlock and the stranger to escape the Mists. It was only when Balthazar called Rytlock "friend" that he realized the stranger was Balthazar. Notwithstanding, Rytlock vowed to make things right.
After listening to Vlast's recordings, Rytlock determined that the guild's next destination was Glint's Lair. There, Rytlock sensed the power of Glint, whose memory crystals reacted to Rytlock's presence. Rytlock was hesitant to allow the party to destroy the dragonsblood spear, Kralkatorrik's weakness, but ultimately allowed it to prevent Balthazar from getting it. Upon seeing the remains of Snaff's golem nearby, Rytlock blamed himself for his repeated failures in the loss of Glint, Snaff, and Eir Stegalkin. Nonetheless, Rytlock remained steadfast and followed the Commander back to the Mists.
Within the Tomb of the Primeval Kings, he was dismissive of the notion that the Six could help against Balthazar but still followed the Commander through the tomb where he expressed admiration for the size of the treasury. When within the mists, he appeared a distance away from the rest of the group and later threatened to tear apart the Handmaidens of Kormir when they appeared. When they arrived in The Sanctum, Rytlock was disrespectful of the library and Kormir herself. He, along with the rest of the group, witnessed Kormir's reenactments of Balthazar's imprisonment and Abaddon's demise along with the goddess of truth's departure.
He was present for the revival of the Commander after they had been killed by Balthazar, and he expressed disbelief that they were alive. After this, he went to Joko's Domain with the Commander and battled Archon Iberu.
After Balthazar's defeat at Kodash Bazaar, Rytlock, Canach, and Taimi commandeered Head Rancher Bedar's dolyak ranch south of Amnoon to use as a base camp from which to search for Aurene and track Kralkatorrik. While Canach headed to Amnoon to collect the winnings he had made from betting that the Commander would defeat Balthazar, Taimi and Rytlock requested that the Commander meet them at the ranch to begin looking for Aurene. As the group spoke, however, a Brandstorm formed over the city of Amnoon during the conversation, with Rytlock noting that the Elder Crystal Dragon did not seem to be nearby.
Taimi replied that they would've been Branded if Kralkatorrik had flown over, and Rytlock sarcastically asked what could go wrong with giving an Elder Dragon Balthazar's magic. Heading into the city, the group saw citizens and refugees encased in Branding crystals to be transformed into minions of the dragon along with Aurene, now grown, battling with a Branded wyvern. Breaking open the crystals and freeing the civilians inside, Rytlock proceeded into the city, where Canach began to aid them in battling the Branded. Slaying the lieutenants of the dragon infused with Zhaitan's magical spectrum of death, the Commander and Rytlock battled a Branded Deputy Qais and following that, attempted to drive off the wyvern Aurene had been battling. With the wyvern eventually slain, the group approached Aurene, as she began to glow with magic and showed a vision to all present. The vision, depicting an army of Awakened within an ancient city attacking Tyrian forces, resulted in the Commander moving to Istan to try to find the First City, Fahranur, while the rest of Dragon's Watch present would clean up remaining Branded in Amnoon.
At some point, Rytlock learnt that the Commander had been captured by the Mordant Crescent, describing it as "[pulling] a Thackeray", and went with the Sunspears of Istan to help the Commander escape the Mordant Crescent Great Hall. Arriving after the Commander's escape, they told the gathered allies that the lich Palawa Joko had captured Taimi. Horrified by this news, Rytlock insisted that they go to the First City immediately to rescue the asura prodigy.
Once within the city, Rytlock noted that it had seen better days, with Spearmarshal Zaeim explaining the city's history. Moving forward, they encountered hostile Awakened which were quickly dispatched of quickly. As the Commander dived into the Eternal Reservoir with a pair of goggles, Canach asked Rytlock why he was never so spontaneous, earning a growl from the charr. After reaching a trap involving falling bells, they were soon deactivated and the group crossed the pits safely, into an area with Branded and Awakened battling each other. Canach noticed Taimi's hair bow on the ground, with Zaeim describing Taimi as ingenious for figuring out how to lay a trail there. Rytlock warned the Sunspear not to tell Taimi that.
Proceeding further into the city, they found a room full of Inquest asura corpses, which soon were Awakened while Canach attempted to explode the gate to further in the city. As a colossal Awakened abomination battled the group, the ceiling caved in but was stopped by Braham Eirsson and his companion Rox, with Braham trying to argue with the Commander about Taimi being in danger now because of them. The Commander, however, cut the norn off, explaining that if Braham wanted to save Taimi, he would be coming with them. He begrudgingly agreed to this, and they proceeded further into the city, where they encountered a swarm of Awakened troops summoned by Joko trying to keep them away. The Commander and Braham headed into the chamber where Taimi was while the rest of the group, including Rytlock, stayed behind to battle the Awakened. Eventually, the Commander rescued Taimi and they regrouped, attempting to determine what to do next. Rytlock chose to contact Marshal Thackeray of the Pact and warn him of the impending threat of Joko.
While the Commander was preparing the landing site for the invasion of Gandara, Rytlock met up with Rox and the Olmakhan and readied them for battle. The Charr group arrived after the Primeval Dynasty army, where Rytlock took point to the surprise of the Olmakhan.
Rytlock led the front while the Commander was helping and making new allies. The advance on the fortress was stalling as he needed high-grade explosives to bring down the bridge towers. Faren raided an enemy camp for the supplies, nearly dying in the process and needed to be rescued by Rox. He kept the Awakened of the back of the invasion force during the final fight in Gandara.
Rytlock helped reignite the extinguished sword Sohotin. Afterwards he enters the Mists to gather information on behalf of the commander. He was going to look for ways to reverse the damage done by Kralkatorrik.
With the death of Kralkatorrik, both Rytlock and the Commander received invitations to the All-Legion Rally of 1332 AE, though the mail Rytlock received was a summons as opposed to an invitation. When the Commander read the mail, they discussed it with him via communicator and agreed to meet them in the Black Citadel. At the Black Citadel, the Commander met with Rytlock, Braham, Gorrik, Kasmeer, and Marjory and the group left to Grothmar Valley on a chopper.
Upon arriving at the Blood Keep, the group was greeted by Crecia Stoneglow, one of the members of Rytlock's warband. Crecia mentioned that she had told Bangar Ruinbringer to invite him, and she escorted them to the opening ceremony. While being escorted, Rytlock asked her about the political situation in the Valley, and she mentioned that it was unstable.
At the opening ceremony, Rytlock witnessed his son, Ryland Steelcatcher, defeat a powerful branded devourer which then continued attacking Ryland, becoming stronger after being killed. After he, along with the rest of Dragon's Watch, tied down the devourer with a harpoon, Aurene flew overhead, corrupting it in a spire of crystal, angering the charr watching. Bangar then ordered Rytlock to meet him in private later and not embarrass him during the festivities.
Rytlock and the Commander later met back up to confront Bangar of the various disturbances they discovered. Bangar was intentionally confrontational from the start and eventually insulted Rytlock, saying his cub Ryland was better off with him (Bangar) as his father. Rytlock attacked Bangar and tackled him to the ground. Bangar told him that he could be the new Blood Imperator, and all he had to do was rip out Bangar’s throat. Rytlock refused and said he didn’t want to be imperator and stomped off. After leaving the meeting and speaking with the commander they were accosted by a group of rowdy charr which Rytlock took care of.
Later, Rytlock and rest of the group discovered that Bangar, the Renegades, and other charr have gone into the Shiverpeaks and chased after them. There they learned that Bangar had stolen Braham’s bow and intended to go after Jormag. Ryland was also present in Bangar’s group and Rytlock yelled out his name in anguish as they left. Even though the bridge was destroyed Rytlock wanted to go after Ryland, and Bangar immediately, but Crecia insisted they must deal with the icebrood construct first to protect the other charr in Grothmar Valley. Afterwards, the cold from the storm was too much to continue and the group retreated back to the valley.
After the blizzard had passed, Rytlock noted that Almorra's call to the Commander seemed strange, and retrieved a squad of Vigil to accompany them to Bjora Marches. After exiting the Vigil Chopper, he and Crecia had a disagreement about Bangar due to Rytlock expressing willingness to 'stomp Bangar into the snow', and she reminded him that they had allegedly agreed to postpone judgement until talking to him.
Within the abandoned Jora's Keep, after the Commander and Braham had escaped the barracks, when they were telling the group about the dead soldiers, he asked if they had seen Almorra. He then asked if both Warmaster Jhavi Jorasdottir and General Soulkeeper being missing felt strange to the other members of the group. With the Commander ordering the group to begin searching for survivors, he expressed anger at the notion and questioned if they remembered what the group was supposed to be there for, growling angrily when Crecia attempted to make him help. Afterwards, he decided to stay at the Keep, and blamed Braham for losing his bow.
After the Commander and Braham found Jhavi trapped in a cave, he volunteered to search the Svanir prisoner camps in the region along with Crecia. Within the prisoner camps, the two charr began to fight over Jormag's whispers. When the warden appeared, the two argued with each other due to a complaint by Crecia about how all of the camps in the region were likely alerted. Rytlock realized that the warden was using the prisoners as fuel, and yelled this to the Commander. After the warden was killed, the two charr continued to search the tents, and aided in killing the warden after he was turned into an icebrood.
After the group had returned to the keep after Almorra Soulkeeper's death, he expressed confusion over how she had died, and the Commander explained that the Sons of Svanir had caught up with her before they arrived (though this was later proved false), and they also stated that whoever called them to the Marches was not Almorra. Afterwards, Rytlock and Crecia volunteered to help within the Raven Sanctum, along with Rytlock apologizing to Crecia for what he said while searching the Svanir prisoner camp.
Within the sanctum, the Commander heard the voices of the others being openly antagonistic, including Rytlock. When they finally escaped the maze, Rytlock expressed concern for the Commander, and participated in the fight against the Fraenir of Jormag, growling about Jormag's voice when the Elder Dragon possessed the dead Fraenir. After Jormag attempted to convince them that they only wanted peace, Rytlock advised Crecia against making excuses for Bangar, and they began scouting out the western side of Bjora Marches (formerly known as Jaga Moraine).
Afterwards, the two charr were captured by the kodan of Still Waters Speaking, and came to the sanctuary mostly peacefully, though Rytlock was angry at the kodan for capturing them. Before encountering the Commander, who had been led to the western part of Bjora Marches by the Wolf Spirit, he argued with Crecia over whether Bangar would attack the Pact with Jormag, and she stated that the Blood Legion Imperator listened to her after reminding Rytlock about Bangar allegedly stealing Iron Legion cannons and pointing them at the Black Citadel as a deterrent. The Commander interrupted their argument, and they explained how they had been captured. After the Commander left to negotiate with Cloudseeker, the two continued arguing, this time about Ryland.
After they were freed, Rytlock retrieved his gear which had been confiscated by the kodan, and he snapped at the Commander for saying that this could get worse if Bangar diverted back to Drakkar Lake, angrily stating that Bangar getting away, and Ryland being corrupted by Jormag was worse. He and Crecia then left to scout out the region. While the Commander was earning goodwill with the kodan, they overheard an argument between the two charr over the communicator about Rytlock not caring about the High Legions, and only wanting Ryland back, which the Commander interrupted, with Rytlock responding that they were behind Bangar by a short distance.
After Braham had been granted the power of one of the lost Spirits of the Wild, Rytlock communicated with the Commander saying that Bangar had gained some distance on them, and he agreed with the Commander when they asked what was going on as he had said that they were close previously. After Braham had been granted the power of two of the lost Spirits, the Commander overheard another conversation between Crecia and Rytlock about what they would do to Ryland if he got in their way.
Before the Commander began facing off against Drakkar or destroying Idols of Jormag, they called Rytlock and Crecia, and the two explained that they were close, though Rytlock suggested focusing on Drakkar for Ryland's sake, though Crecia interrupted him, snapping that the future of the charr should be their focus, not Ryland. The signal was lost within the mountains they were trekking through, though they later tried calling the Commander.
After they had destroyed the Idols of Jormag or injured Drakkar, they managed to get through to the Commander, explaining that Bangar and Ryland were both heading directly for Drakkar's lair, and he finally stopped pretending that Bangar had a plan for what to do when reaching Jormag's champion, snapping at Crecia that he was finished with losing things, and she asked the Commander if they had a plan. The Commander responded that they were cornering Drakkar in a cave south of the lake, and they agreed to meet inside.
Within the cave, Rytlock expressed impatience at the Commander, and when Jormag spoke to the group, he proved susceptible to the Elder Ice Dragon's whispers, suggesting that they should listen to Jormag, and after being yelled at by Braham, he changed the subject quickly, asking why the rest of the group was moving so slowly. After reaching a barrier of solid ice where Jormag suggested a parley, Crecia requested that he draw Sohothin and she channelled her magic into the sword, melting the ice. When encountering a powerful icebrood goliath, he began attacking it along with the rest of the nearby icebrood.
When arriving in the main cave where Drakkar was, Rytlock realised that the dragon champion was within the walls of the cave, and Jormag whispered to the two charr, making them wonder who the Commander would attack next, and making them attack the Commander themselves. After the Commander knocked out the two, Braham killed Drakkar using the magic of the three lost Spirits and a fragment of the Elder Ice Dragon, the Whisper of Jormag, appeared. After the Commander had been attacking the avatar for some time, Bangar and Ryland appeared and the Blood Imperator hauled them to their feet, ordering them to attack the avatar of Jormag. They began fighting the Whisper and the avatar was destroyed quickly.
With the Whisper of Jormag out of the way, the Commander and Bangar began a heated argument, culminating in Bangar shooting the Commander with Braham's bow, and Braham becoming the wolf, attacking the two rogue charr. Rytlock ran over to the Commander's side, attempting to make them get up, and then yelled out Ryland's name when Braham attacked his cub. After the Commander had woke up within the Eye of the North, he, along with the rest of the group, expressed happiness to see the Commander back on their feet, and he explained that Bangar had wasted no time claiming the credit for killing Drakkar, potentially meaning a civil war amongst the charr.
When the Commander had fully recovered, he noted that they seemed ready to continue the hunt for Bangar, and mentioned that he needed to talk to them after Aurene had shown them her vision of the past. After the Commander had witnessed Almorra's death at the hands of Bangar in Darkrime Delves, they notified Rytlock of the fact that Ryland had buried Almorra, and he expressed appreciation that they had told him.
Afterwards, Rytlock notified the Commander that Crecia had received news about Bangar, and relayed the information that Bangar had almost reached Jormag, and Crecia had encouraged the Imperators to work together against him. He also discussed some of his history with the Commander.
After chatting with the Commander, Rytlock had been doing reconnaissance in the Blood Legion Homelands for Crecia for unknown reasons. A few weeks later, due to colossal United Legions defections to Bangar's Dominion forces, Crecia formed a parley with Ryland, his warbandmate Cinder Steeltemper, and Bangar's Minister of Morale, Varinia Stormsounder, which Ryland accepted. When the Commander received mail from Crecia about the parley, they asked Rytlock about it, resulting in them going to the United Legions Base Campbh in the Woodland Cascades.
Upon arriving, they were greeted by acting Imperator Efram Greetsglory of the Flame Legion, who hurried them through the camp towards the area the parley was taking place in, causing them to witness some Iron Legion defectors being shot on Imperator Smodur the Unflinching's orders. This led Efram to state that Smodur had agreed to stop the executions until the parley had either failed or succeeded.
When they reached the parley, the Commander and Rytlock heard Ryland state that his terms were simple; surrender, and publicly state their support of Bangar's campaign. Upon their arrival, he extended the offer to the Pact Commander, who attempted to interject, and was cut off by Cinder Steeltemper, who told them that Ryland had been promoted to tribune, to which the Commander replied that they could see the scars Braham's attack had caused. They then asked how many charr had died in the war already, and stated that they were there to save lives, to which Ryland requested that they make the imperators accept his offer. Smodur the Unflinching then told Ryland that he was attacking the High Legion's greatest military commanders. Ryland then said that most of the Iron Legion marched on Ryland's command, being quickly corrected by Varinia Stormsounder who said that they followed Bangar, and that Ryland's power was only a shard of Bangar's strength.
These arguments continued briefly, and then Lady Kasmeer Meade, and Pact Marshal Logan Thackeray appeared, causing Ryland to rescind his offer and end the parley, angering Crecia to the point of lashing out at the two humans, and forgetting about Pact Marshal Thackeray being an honorary member of the Stone Warband. Afterwards, the Commander seated themselves to strategize with the imperators. During this strategy meeting, Ash Imperator Malice Swordshadow, and Smodur frequently argued with each other. It was eventually decided that the Ash and Blood Legions, along with some Seraph mesmers Logan had brought with him would take the eastern forest, and the Flame and Iron Legions, along with the Seraph without mesmer abilities would take the western beach.
Crecia then stated that she would meet Rytlock and the Commander at the Blood Legion bivouac within the camp. When talked to, Rytlock then stated that Smodur most likely did not like getting overruled during the meeting as he believed he had no opposition for the position of Khan-Ur with Bangar, his main rival, gone rogue. Then, they went over to see Crecia with Rytlock asking how they had lost so much ground. Crecia replied that they had been too focused on Bangar to pay much attention to the Steel Warband, and this resulted in the Steel Warband's members taking the United Legions by surprise. Rytlock then asked where Crecia wanted them, and she replied that she wanted them to talk to centurions Galina Edgecrusher and Snarl Backdraft.
Upon talking to the two centurions, they encouraged Rytlock and the Commander to collect supplies from a Deceased Dominion Soldier, get food for a Hungry Sentry, and smash a Dominion Propaganda Speaker, tasks which both of them completed. While attempting to completing this task, Rytlock found a few of Ryland's soldiers, and overheard them saying something about "diving deep for the Dominion." Upon notifying Crecia of this, she told them to go investigate Breakroot Basin for a Dominion base.
When they arrived at the edge of the basin, Rytlock noted that nothing seemed to be there, and Crecia told them to investigate the surrounding regions. After finding evidence, they deduced the base was located in a crevice in the rock, and the Imperators arrived to raid the base. Malice Swordshadow stealthed the Commander, Crecia, and Smodur and they crept through the base until Smodur got frustrated with sneaking around and then after the Dominion had been killed, Rytlock and the other charr left outside entered. Then, Cinder Steeltemper appeared and they attacked her, capturing her as leverage against Ryland, and Malice agreed to try to send a message to him.
Then, Smodur ordered the Commander, and Rytlock to retrieve parts from Sunken Submarines in Port Cascadia, a former human settlement, create an experimental weapon, find Dominion tank parts, and then obtain a flame core from an Effigy Scrap. Afterwards, they went to a Flame Legion Fire Shaman who enchanted the finished product, creating a crystal grenade that would cause a localized version of The Searing. After throwing it into a bunker, Rytlock and the Commander charged in, noticing multiple corpses, including one belonging to a member of Malice's personal guard.
Afterwards, Ryland came to the base in the basin to attempt to save Cinder, and began negotiating with Crecia. Rytlock watched as the negotiations were carried out, and as Smodur stabbed Cinder in the neck, killing her, causing Ryland to attack him and Crecia to create a flame shield around Smodur. This angered Ryland, who declared that he had trusted her, and caused him to flee to Wolf's Crossing, where Crecia, Rytlock, Smodur, and the Commander pursued him and were delayed by a corrupted version of Varinia Stormsounder and the newfound Frost Legion. After a fierce battle, Varinia was felled and numerous Frost Legion tanks began firing at the group, causing them to flee to the base, where they began arguing. Malice stated that she would attempt to gather intel with her agents in the Dominion, and Crecia stated that they would hold the territory and heal.
Sometime after, the Commander received a letter from Malice, with Crecia interrupting Rytlock complaining about how the letter read and telling him that it was necessary for him and the Commander to go to Drizzlewood Coast. Rytlock then commented on how every charr in the Ash Legion sounded like they were reading bad kodan poetry. Malice interrupted his comments, telling him that it was standard operating procedure and that she would meet him at the beachhead next to the river dividing north and south Drizzlewood Coast. Rytlock then asked Crecia if she couldn't have mentioned that Malice was right next to her.
Upon arriving at the beachhead, Rytlock asked if Ryland had been seen since the peace negotiation to which Malice replied that Ryland had been untrackable ever since the parley ended. Malice then addressed the Commander, stating that the glacier blocking access to northern Drizzlewood Coast had retreated backwards, revealing a cave at the western portion of the beach, which could serve as an opening. Crecia, however, noted that the cave wasn't wide enough to allow Smodur's artillery through.
Malice explained the plan to the group, telling them that they would need to go incognito using disguise tonics, clear away the siege cannons and make a passage through the cave. She then told them that she would meet them at the cave, then disappearing.
After succeding in disabling the Dominion cannons, a Frost Legion centurion appeared, questioning them about their identities. After defeating him, they encountered one of Malice's field agents who gave them flamethrowers to eliminate barriers of corrupted ice preventing United Legions troops and artillery from traversing the cave. After destroying the ice barricades, they arrived at the United Legions Forward Camp where they met Tribune Ember Doomforge, Almorra's grandcub.
Soon after Braham went to explore an ancient norn ruin, Rytlock offered to follow the Commander there as they located Braham, but Crecia refused for him. After Braham explained what the ruins were, Crecia called over a communicator to ask if they had learned anything, to which the Commander replied that the location was where the norn first encountered the Spirits of the Wild and that there was powerful magic there. Rytlock stated that now they knew why Jormag had decided to sleep there after being forced into unconsciousness by Taimi's Machine. Braham attempted to request that the four Great Spirits, Bear, Raven, Snow Leopard and Wolf, open the locked door to allow them access to Jormag, but the Spirits remained silent.
After the Commander had destroyed several Dominion communications towers, Rytlock notified them that Braham and Smodur had conflicting opinions on how to defeat Bangar, with Braham believing that it would be best to use the gate in the Sanctum of the Wild.
Upon the Commander's arrival, Rytlock greeted them, with the Commander asking what he was up to. He replied that he was attempting not to kill Smodur as him and Braham were fighting over the strategy they should use for getting to Jormag. When the Commander went to Rytlock for advice, he stated that he thought Smodur most likely had the right idea, though he wouldn't say it to his face.
As the Commander was about to tell Crecia their thoughts, Ryland appeared on a rocky outcrop above the camp and shot Smodur fatally, inciting shocked gasps from most of those present. Rytlock called Ryland's name, to which Ryland replied that he and his allies had all exits covered. Fighting off the Dominion, Frost Legion and Sons of Svanir, the group managed to survive the attack and drive Ryland's allies off.
After the attack, Rytlock noted that Smodur's death was inconvenient, with the Commander replying that it was a lot more than simply inconvenient. All present argued for a moment, with Malice declaring that the most likely successor to Smodur was Tribune Mia Kindleshot. As her location was unknown, Crecia declared that Efram would command Iron temporarily.
Later, while the Commander was attempting to attain the idol of the Corrupted Eagle Spirit, Rytlock called them to ask for their perspective, ending the call when the Commander, transformed into an eagle, screeched at him. When the Commander arrived at the Sanctum of the Wild, they told Rytlock that they got turned into an eagle, to which he replied that they got turned into a lot of stuff.
Braham was then spoken through by the Spirits to test the Commander one last time, with lines from the teachings of several Spirits being recited. After the puzzle was completed, the totem of Owl lit up with the full power of the Spirit, despite her seeming death. Braham realized that Owl had not been killed, instead, she had been corrupted by Jormag. The group hurried into the keep to prevent Jormag from waking with the power of the newly-awakened Owl to consume.
Rytlock told the other members of the group to hurry up, causing Braham to tell the other members of the group that the four Great Spirits of the Wild had been imprisoned within the Frost Citadel and worry about Jormag corrupting them. After reaching a barrier that resisted Crecia chanelling Sohothin's magic at it, the Commander broke a hole through the roof with a nearby Charrzooka, allowing Malice and Efram access to the keep. Crecia and Efram combined their efforts to destroy the barrier, allowing the party access to the room containing Jormag.
The group witnessed Bangar's attempts to corrupt the Spirits of the Wild, freeing the trapped Great Spirits. After injuring Bangar, Jormag awakened, corrupting Ryland and Bangar, then leaving with Ryland and giving Bangar to the group as a gift.
Following the events of the Icebrood War, Rytlock was mired in Legion politics with Crecia while still recovering from the death of Ryland. In his chats with the Pact Commander, Rytlock pointed out that there had been talks about the potential of a new Khan-Ur election among the charr, and his vote would go to Crecia if such an election ever came to pass. During the Commander's climactic [[The Only One|battle] with the Dragonvoid in Cantha, the effects of the Void deteriorating the world was seen as far as Hoelbrak and Grothmar Valley and Elona. Rytlock joined in Blood Keep's defenses, fighting off the Void creatures. Like elsewhere, Rytlock was nearly overrun by the Dragonvoid's overwhelming forces, though managed to survive against the odds.
Weeks later, Rytlock along with the rest of Dragon's Watch had received an invitation to The Dead End for Marjory's and Kasmeer's get-together and surprise wedding announcement. He showed up after the Pact Commander, wearing casual clothes. He spoke briefly about his distaste of being in politics, and asked the Commander to find a reason to bring him along on some new adventure. During the engagement party, Logan pointed out that he had sent an invitation to Rytlock to join him on a relaxing time on Southsun Cove but that the charr had not given his answer yet. Rytlock, upon listening to his friend's teasing, could only grumble in response.
In 1336 AE, the Pact Commander tried to use Taimi's latest communication device to contact various friends, including Rytlock and Crecia, across the world. However, the charr pair found it difficult to operate the device, leading to an exchange that amused the Commander who decided to let the two handle matters without further interference.
Weeks later, the Canthan reporter Mi-Rae reached out to Rytlock in person for an interview while on her tour across Tyria. She asked the tribune what he felt about the escalating calls for global unity following the death of Soo-Won. Not amused by being interviewed on the spot, Rytlock told the reporter in no unclear terms to let him be lest she suffer the consequences of her actions. Mi-Rae wisely saw how irritated the charr was about to become and ended the interview quickly.
- Black Citadel
- Ascalonian Catacombs (story)
- Citadel of Flame (story)
- Thunderhead Peaks
- Bloodtide Coast (moved around, during The Origins of Madness)
- Tower of Nightmares (zone)
- Chapter 1: Getting the Band Back Together
- Chapter 2: Sins of the Father
- Chapter 3: Crystal Corruption
- Chapter 4: Order Neophyte
- Chapter 6: The Battle of Claw Island
- A Light in the Darkness (as a vision)
- Chapter 8: Victory or Death
- Episode 1: Flame and Frost
- Episode 5: Battle for Lion's Arch
- Living World Season 1 (historical)
- Act I
- Act II
- Act III
- Act IV
- Episode 1: Out of the Shadows
- Episode 2: Rising Flames
- Act I
- Act II
- Act III
- Episode 1: Daybreak
- Episode 3: Long Live the Lich
- Episode 4: A Star to Guide Us
- Episode 5: All or Nothing
- Episode 6: War Eternal
- Prologue: Bound by Blood
- Episode 1: Whisper in the Dark
- Episode 2: Shadow in the Ice
- Visions of the Past: Steel and Fire
- Episode 3: No Quarter
- Episode 4: Jormag Rising
- Episode 5: Champions
- Help Logan, Canach, and Rytlock train Corsairs (80)
- Clear the Branded from the keep (80) [Group Event]
- Repair defenses and place mines! (80) [Group Event]
- Repel invading Branded, and kill them near the charging crystals to fill the resonance crystal (80) [Group Event]
- Defeat the Wrathbringer (80) [Group Event]
- Rytlock often wields a pistol in his off-hand; when he does, he uses a combination of thief main-hand pistol and warrior main-hand sword skills.
- If wielding a pistol, he will fight at range until enemies approach him.
- Determined - Determined to survive and immune to damage. (Within certain story instances)
- Ethereal Energy - Defeat 6 ghosts to charge Sohothin with energy and slice through the statue's protection. (During Foefire Cleansing)
- Sever Artery - Chain. Bleed your foe with a slash.
- Final Thrust - Strike your foe with a final powerful thrust that does extra damage and inflicts bleeding against foes below the health threshold.
- Vital Shot - Bleed your foe with a shot to the vitals.
- Body Shot - Fire a set of immobilizing bolas at your foe.
- Shoot - Shoots at the target. Has a 20% chance to cause a projectile finisher. (During the story mode of Ascalonian Catacombs)
- Charging Lunge - Lunge at your foe. (During the story mode of Ascalonian Catacombs)
- Daze your foe with a head shot. (During the story mode of Ascalonian Catacombs) Head Shot -
- Legendary Dragon Stance - Currently invoking the power of Glint. (During Prisoners of the Dragon)
- Facet of Strength - Pulse might to nearby allies every few seconds. (During Prisoners of the Dragon)
- vulnerability. Preparation Thrust - Stab your foe with your sword, inflicting
- damage if it hits only one enemy. Precision Strike - Strike all nearby foes, then release a burst of mist energy that deals a second strike. The second strike deals bonus
- Shadowstep and unleash fierce attacks on nearby foes. Gain might each time you damage a foe. Unrelenting Assault -
- Legendary Dragon. Facet. Place the Facet of Strength on yourself to grant nearby allies might every few seconds. (only during Prisoners of the Dragon) Facet of Strength -
- Legendary Dragon. Consume. Consume Facet of Chaos, releasing chaotic winds damaging and knocking back foes while granting superspeed to allies. Facet of Chaos will be disabled while this skill is recharging. (only during Torn from the Sky) Chaotic Release -
- Focused Elemental Flame - Combines with Crecia Stoneglow to channel Sohothin's flames in a directed attack. (only during Voice in the Deep)
- Skills (Path of Fire)
- vulnerability. Preparation Thrust - Stab your foe with your sword, inflicting
- shadowstep to it and deliver a large blow. Reduces cooldown on Flame Spit and Cataclysm. Sohothin Blitz - Hurl Sohothin at your target, damaging foes the sword passes through. When Sohothin reaches your target,
- Shadowstep and unleash fierce attacks on nearby foes. Gain might each time you damage a foe. Unrelenting Assault -
- raptor. (When the player begins riding their mount)
Raptor - Summon and mount your
- Engage. Leap toward the target location, damaging nearby foes. (When there are nearby foes) Tail Spin -
- Legendary Dragon. Consume. Consume Facet of Elements to cover the target area in magical dragon breath. (During The Crystal Dragon) Elemental Blast -
|Bundle of Inscribed Shards||Service||Exotic||2,688|
|Mini Officer Faren||Miniature||Exotic||105,000 + 25|
|Golem Swarm Potion||Tonic||Masterwork||4,900 + 1|
|Volatile Mining Pick||Mining pick||Fine||4,900|
|Volatile Logging Axe||Logging axe||Fine||4,900|
|Volatile Harvesting Sickle||Harvesting sickle||Fine||4,900|
|Trader's Key (5 per day)||Service||Rare||245 + 10|
For previous dialogue, see here.
- If charr
- Sorry, Legionnaire <Character name>. I don't have time right now. We'll speak again soon.
- Tribune. Yes sir,
- If not charr
- Welcome to the Black Citadel. I don't have time to talk right now, but you may speak with my aide-de-camp, Laria.
- Thank you.
- Before completing Hearts and Minds
- I don't got a trace of plant in me, but up here, even I can feel the buzz under my fur. We're near Mordremoth's heart.
- magic—its influence—is strong.
- I got close enough to blow kisses at both Zhaitan and Kralkatorrik, but I feel Mordremoth's presence more strongly. It's eerily potent. I'll be glad to be rid of it.
- It does seem more powerful than Zhaitan.
- We've got this.
- After completing Hearts and Minds
- Hah! That's two down, pal. You, Caithe, and I are part of an elite club now. The Elder Dragons might be forces of nature, but we've proven that we can tame them.
- Easy there. Don't strain yourself.
At Front Line
- Awakened... Our forces are spread thin, and too many of them are still new to this. You're the best there is at dealing with the
- I'll see what I can do.
- Gandara. Heard you gave our recruits a clinic on putting down the Awakened. They're eager to follow you through the gates of
- Glad I could help. What's this?
- Happy to help. Good-bye.
At The Grotto
At Legions' Alcove
- We're holding down the fort, Commander.
Getting along with everyone?
- No. I was never imperator material, so hanging around with a bunch of them has been...
- Understandable. I'll leave you be.
- Thanks, Rytlock.
- Defeating a foe
- Not a bad fight.
- At Mosswood, Dragonfall
- Finish this, Commander!
- Rytlock Brimstone (nightmare).jpg
Hallucination of Rytlock during Nightmare Chamber.
Rytlock as a hologram in Taimi's Game.
Rytlock transformed by an Ash Legion disguise tonic.
Rytlock wearing casual clothes at The Dead End.
- Concept art
Render by Darren Chiu.
"Box art" for Rytlock's Critter Rampage.
Promotional image for Point of No Return.
Rytlock's introduction in the Living World magazine.
- While in the Grotto, Rytlock occasionally walks to the Grand Lyceum to train units there before retiring to a nearby tent.
- Rytlock is voiced by Steve Blum who identifies with Rytlock as he has also experienced being bullied as a child.
- Rytlock was originally a warrior but became a revenant over the course of Living World Season 2 and Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns.
- As a warrior, Rytlock wears Dreadnought armor. As a revenant, he wears Mistward armor.
- Rytlock was a playable character in NCsoft's MOBA Master X Master.
- A character strangely resembling Rytlock appeared as a summon in the Guild Wars Wayfarer's Reverie update in 2013.
- Rytlock’s Critter Rampage Game is an official mini game available to play on Guildwars2.com
- Rytlock temporarily wields an Adamant Guard Greatsword when he lends Sohothin to the Commander during Beast of War.
- Blighted Rytlock Brimstone
- Family trees
- Requiem: Rytlock
- Rytlock (nightmare)
- Rytlock Brimstone (hallucination)
- Short Story: Delegation
- Associated items
- ^ "Chapter 15: Edge of Steel", Edge of Destiny by J. Robert King:
- "Things like... well, like..." Rytlock huffed, making a decision. "All right, here goes: being with the two of you is like being with the striplings."
- "That's what they called us," Rytlock reflected. "In my fahrar—that's the pack they put you in when you're born—in my fahrar they called the smallest of us the striplings."
- "You were small?" Logan asked incredulously.
- "I was the youngest. The smallest. They called me Runtlock."
- "Runtlock!" Logan snorted.
- "I made them stop," Rytlock growled ominously. "I did, and the other striplings did. We banded together, and I was the leader. We taught the bullies a few lessons. Still can't stand bullies."
- ^ a b "Chapter 10: Magma Monsters", Edge of Destiny by J. Robert King:
- "Mercenary scout for a supply caravan in the Blazeridges?" Rytlock said. "That's about as far from your brother as you can get."
- Logan looked at his hands. "Guess so." They sat awhile in silence before he asked, "You got any brothers?"
- "About a dozen," Rytlock said with a rueful laugh, "and a dozen sisters."
- "Big family."
- Rytlock shook his head. "Charr don't have families. We have warbands. The bonds are even stronger."
- Logan's eyes grew wide. "Was that them, back there? That funeral pyre?"
- "Course not," Rytlock snapped. "Those were Iron Legion. I'm Blood Legion."
- "You guys all look alike," Logan said with a shrug. "So, where's your warband?"
- "Back east somewhere. I left them."
- That comment hung in the air between them. "Why?"
- "My reasons are my own."
- ^ A Race to Arms
- Rytlock Brimstone: Are those...elementals trapped in the ice?
- Crecia Stoneglow: They used to come down from the mountains sometimes. When we were still in the fahrar...
- Rytlock Brimstone: I remember.
- Crecia Stoneglow: Just like old times.
- ^ An Unusual Inheritance Rytlock Brimstone: Very interesting. I've always suspected that courthouse held valuable relics. I used to explore around there when I was a cub.
- ^ Short Story: Delegation
- ^ Plan of Attack
- Rox: (spit) For luck.
- Rytlock Brimstone: (chuckle) You used to do that when you were a cub. C'mon, let's get this over with. [...]
- Rox: Someone once told me nothing worth fighting for is ever easy.
- Rytlock Brimstone: Ha! You do listen.
- Rox: Only when I feel like it.
- ^ a b c Requiem: Rytlock
- ^ "Chapter 2: Cat and Mouse", Edge of Destiny by J. Robert King:
- "No! I mean what are you doing here, a thousand miles from your own legion?"
- "I go my own way!"
- "Only because they wouldn't have you! They drove you off—your own legion—not because you can't fight. I've seen you fight. No, it's because they couldn't stand you!"
- Brimstone's eyes blazed, and his nostrils flared as if he had heard this speech countless times. But a slow smile spread across his lips. "you've got it wrong. I couldn't stand them."
- ^ "Chapter 18: The Calm Before," Edge of Destiny by J. Robert King:
- Rytlock nodded. "Well, I've gone into a lot of battles with a lot of good warriors. You're as good as any of them."
- "The one thing they had that you don't—"
- "Oh, here it comes."
- "—is a Blood Legion pendant." Rytlock drew a chain from around his neck. On it hung the maroon and silver crest of the Blood Legion. "Here. Put it on."
- Logan took the pendant and looked Rytlock in the eye. "I don't know what to say."
- Rytlock gritted his teeth. "Damned human. You don't have to say anything. Just put it on."
- "Thanks," Logan replied feebly, slipping the pendant around his neck.
- "It's an honor wearing that thing, you know," Rytlock said, "an honor I don't think any other human has ever been given. It means we're brothers."
- ^ "Chapter 33: Sundering", Edge of Destiny by J. Robert King:
- Especially because they had been so close. Just a few moments more and the lance would have pierced the dragon's heart, and Kralkatorrik would have died, and Snaff would have lived.
- A few moments that Logan could have given them.
- "Logan!" Rytlock roared, ripping Sohothin from its sheath and ramming it into the ground. "It's your fault!"
- The shout rang false. It wasn't Logan's fault. It was Rytlock's, for trusting a human. For letting a human's softness make him... weak.
- "I'm a fool," Rytlock said. [...]
- When first he returned to the Blood Legion, he was stripped of rank and assigned menial work. An overseer called him a traitor, and Rytlock killed him. That's how he became an overseer. Later, a legionnaire called him a deserter, and Rytlock killed him as well. That's how he became a legionnaire.
- Let a centurion call him a friend to humans, and Rytlock would rise again.
- He was no longer a friend to humans, especially not to Logan Thackeray.
- Rytlock spit from the top of the wall and watched the gobbet fall a hundred feet down before smearing.
- Logan, who was now Queen Jennah's lapdog...
- Logan, who had corrupted a dungeon full of charr...
- Logan, who had made a fool out of Rytlock...
- "He'd better hope the Seraph never fight the Blood Legion."
- ^ Chapter 22, Ghosts of Ascalon by Jeff Grubb and Matt Forbeck:
- "I am on the business of Malice Swordshadow, the Ash Legion imperator," said Ember, snarling. "I cannot and will not tell you the nature of my mission."
- "Nor should you," came a deep, resonate voice from the perimeter of the discussion. "I will be dining with Swordshadow at the end of the week, and I shall take the opportunity to ask the imperator about it." [...]
- "No," replied Ember. "That is, he knows I am up to something, and that Imperator Swordshadow is somehow involved. And that we are a mystery, and he hates mysteries. The sooner we sneak out, the sooner he will be relieved of thinking about what we're up to."
- ^ Darkrime Delves (story)
- ^ Turnabout Efram Greetsglory: You used a searing crystal. Made my people complicit in your war crime.
- ^ Convergence (story)
- <Character name>: Rytlock. How're you holding up? After Ryland…
- Rytlock Brimstone: I've had some time to sit with everything. Spent some time with Cre.
- <Character name>: You never really got to know your son. Not the way you wanted.
- Rytlock Brimstone: No. But I think that's the point. Bangar was right: charr don't have "sons." Cre knew that. Kept her objective.
- Rytlock Brimstone: What I wanted, I was never gonna get from Ryland. It wasn't about him. It was about me. What I need.
- Rytlock Brimstone: I couldn't see past the hole I was trying to fill. More I pushed, the more he pulled away. I made it all worse.
- <Character name>: Ryland was a grown charr; he made his choices.
- Rytlock Brimstone: I know. And I did what had to be done. Now his fight is over. Me…I dunno.
- <Character name>: There's time. You'll figure it out.
- Rytlock Brimstone: Working on it.
- ^ The Only One
- ^ The Cycle, Reborn
- Rytlock Brimstone: Commander, you don't happen to have a mission that requires my particular skill set, do you?
- <Character name>: Political life not what it's cracked up to be?
- Rytlock Brimstone: More like exactly what it's cracked up to be: slow, two-faced and boring as all hell...
- Rytlock Brimstone: Cre's in her element. She was born to do it. But me? Not so much.
- <Character name>: Couldn't you just resign?
- Rytlock Brimstone: With no reason? Cre'd have my hide. No, 'fraid I'll need a real good excuse to get out of this one.
- Rytlock Brimstone: So, if you ever have one, think of your old friend Rytlock...
- ^ Treachery
- Mi-Rae: Next up on the Cantha Report: I go head-to-head with Rytlock Brimstone, ally of the commander and tribune of the "Blood Legion."
- Rytlock Brimstone: (growls)
- Mi-Rae: Rytlock, how do you feel about the escalating calls for global unity following the death of Soo-Won?
- Rytlock Brimstone: Get that damned thing out of my face before I shove it—
- Mi-Rae: Until next time. Stay sharp, Tyria.
- ^ Guild Wars 2 Living World Behind the Voice: Steve Blum, YouTube.com