- 1325 AE
- Living World Season 3
- Out of the Shadows
- Fragmented Wastes
In Pursuit of Caudecus
Caudecus must be here somewhere! I suspect he's the culprit behind the Bloodstone explosion. I need to warn Canach and bring the minister to justice.
- Travel to the White Mantle colosseum.
- Check in with Canach.
- Overcome the ambush.
- Look for Caudecus.
- Defeat Justiciar Adrienne.
- Regroup with your allies.
- Continue the hunt for Caudecus.
- Confront Caudecus.
- Defeat the Jade Construct.
- Talk to Canach.
Defeat the White Mantle.
- White Mantle remaining: [5...0]
Destroy unstable bloodstone with counter magic.
- Unstable bloodstone drain energy from nearby creatures.
- Unstable Bloodstone Chunk destroyed: x/3
Defeat the bloodstone elementals.
- Use bloodstones to remove shields.
- Bloodstone Elemental Mauler remaining: [0..2]
After some initial dialogue, the party will be attacked by a band of White Mantle members. After these, go through the gate, making sure to dodge across the spiked floor traps. You will encounter Bloodstone Shards that attempt to drain your energy; use Counter Magic to negate the attack. Next, you will fight Veteran Bloodstone Elementals with a red shield. To remove this shield, attack the nearby Bloodstone Shards until they start their energy drain, then use Counter Magic once again. By luring the Elementals into the path of the beam, you can remove their shield.
Once you overhear some White Mantle voices, you will be fighting Justiciar Adrienne. The other enemies will keep spawning as long as the Justiciar is alive, so it's best to leave them to Marjory, Rytlock and Canach.
She will be invulnerable to all damage until her shield is removed. To remove it, approach and attack the bloodstone shard in the center of the room until it fires a beam at you. Use the Counter Magic skill to enable you to move normally, then move toward the outside of the room so that Adrienne will be caught in the beam between you and the bloodstone. This will remove her shield and knock her down. Deal as much damage as you can before she renews it. If she gets the shield back, repeat the process until she's dead.
Proceed up the stairs towards the stronghold. After confronting Caudecus, the final fight begins against a Subjugated Jade Construct. Similarly to the previous enemies, use the Bloodstone Shards and Counter Magic to remove shields as needed.
|Confessor's Stronghold||Out of the Shadows (achievements)||10|
|Pursue and capture Lord Caudecus Beetlestone.Journal: Confessor's Stronghold||Confronted the Minister in the Colloseum of the Faithful||0|
- Complete the instance.
|Bloodstone Magic, Not Even Once||Out of the Shadows (achievements)||2|
|Stop Justiciar Adrienne from drawing a full circle.Story Instance: Confessor's Stronghold||Stopped Justiciar Adrienne from Drawing a Full Circle||2|
- While fighting Justiciar Adrienne, watch for her shield. Immediately approach the bloodstone shard in the center, and use Counter Magic when available. There should be plenty of time to reposition and deplete her shield.
|Take It Down a Notch||Out of the Shadows (achievements)||1|
|Defeat a White Mantle knight in celebration.Story Instance: Confessor's Stronghold||Defeated a White Mantle Knight Who Was Celebrating Too Soon||1|
- During your fight with the construct, a White Mantle Knight will randomly cheer. Kill them as soon as they do. This is easiest done with a ranged weapon.
- Marjory Delaqua
- Confessor Caudecus
- Lady Valette Wi
- White Mantle Cleric
- White Mantle Elementalist
- White Mantle Knight
- White Mantle Mesmer
- White Mantle Necromancer
- White Mantle Seeker
- Humans (White Mantle)
- Justiciar Adrienne
- White Mantle Cleric
- White Mantle Elementalist
- White Mantle Knight
- White Mantle Mesmer
- White Mantle Necromancer
- White Mantle Scout
- Veteran White Mantle Cleric
- Veteran White Mantle Elementalist
- Veteran White Mantle Mesmer
- Veteran White Mantle Necromancer
When check in with Canach:
- <Character name>: Canach, glad to see you're alive. I was afraid you'd been caught in the blast.
- Canach: We almost were, but then... not.
- <Character name>: Me too. Your troops?
- Canach: Some of them are still looking for you, and the rest are forming a perimeter around this place.
- Canach: I wanted to deal with the minister privately; I really only need you there to corroborate events, should they go south.
- Canach: Plus, I ran into these two delinquents and figured Dragon's Watch would certainly handle it.
- <Character name>: Marjory, Rytlock. Showed up just in time to help us track down Caudecus.
- Marjory Delaqua: It was all anyone could talk about in Divinity's Reach. Canach, you're here under the orders of—?
- Canach: Countess Anise is very concerned about Caudecus's well-being.
- Canach: I'm to return him home unless the innocent-until-proven-guilty minister does something to change those plans.
- Marjory Delaqua: She must be very hopeful your plans change.
- Canach: I was instructed to be tight lipped about it. But I will say this: Yes.
- <Character name>: Before we find him; Caudecus may have been the someone who consumed the Bloodstone magic.
- <Character name>: If that's true, he may be a little stronger than we all remember.
- Marjory Delaqua: If he did, we can't just let him loose on Kryta...or maybe all of Tyria is his prize this time.
- Canach: I only want to be off Anise's leash. Saving the world would just be a corollary benefit.
- White Mantle Elementalist: For Kryta!
- Rytlock Brimstone: We have company.
- White Mantle Cleric: No one crosses the White Mantle!
- White Mantle Elementalist: I'll surely succeed where others failed!
After defeating the ambush:
- <Character name>: These White Mantle guards aren't affected by the Bloodstone like the others I've fought.
- <Character name>: They must have arrived after the explosion.
- Canach: Then they came with Caudecus. We're close.
Encountering the spike traps:
- Canach: Watch your step. Whatever this place was, it was meant to keep the unwary at bay.
- Rytlock Brimstone: Ow! That one snuck up on me.
Encountering the Bloodstone chunks:
- Canach: (grunt)... Too close to this bloodstone... strength has left my limbs...
- Marjory Delaqua: Any countermagic measures up your sleeve, Commander?
- Canach: Nice work, Commander. Now if I could persuade you to take care of the others...
- Marjory Delaqua: Interesting. Countering the magic of these bloodstones returns whatever magical properties it absorbed.
- Marjory Delaqua: I know a certain big-eared asura who'd love to be here to study this...
- Taimi: I heard that!
Encountering the Bloodstone elementals:
- Canach: Perfect. Shields.
- Rytlock Brimstone: How do we bring them down?
- Marjory Delaqua: These bloodstones can draw off the magic if we can catch the shield in the flux.
- Marjory Delaqua: The unstable bloodstone chunks drain whatever energy gets nearby.
- Canach: If the commander is right about Caudecus absorbing bloodstone magic, that may prove handy.
Encountering Justiciar Adrienne:
- Muffled Voice: Work faster! These bloodstones won't collect themselves!
- Rytlock Brimstone: Sounds like we might have something ahead.
- Canach: Let me take the lead, Rytlock.
- Canach: I was given specific orders on how this was supposed to be executed, and I don't need you to defile it with your inclination to blindly smite.
- Rytlock Brimstone: If that;s a blindfold crack...
- Canach: Care to take the door, Commander?
- Canach: Minister Caudecus, you've obviously... Oh. He's not here. Rytlock, smite away!
- Rytlock Brimstone: My pleasure!
- Justiciar Adrienne: You'll never take him!
- Justiciar Adrienne: Do you actually think we'd let you take him from us?
- Canach: He's not yours to keep, fanatic.
- Justiciar Adrienne: These fools must be taught their place!
While fighting Adrienne:
- Justiciar Adrienne: Magic from bloodstones empowers me! What do you have? Nothing! (When using her shield for the first time)
- Justiciar Adrienne: The power... I should have done this sooner! (When using her shield)
- Justiciar Adrienne: Kill the fool before my shield is drained again! (When using her shield)
- Justiciar Adrienne: I feel magic being drained from my shield. The bloodstones are... hungry. (When breaking her shield)
- Justiciar Adrienne: That's a clever trick. (When breaking her shield)
- Justiciar Adrienne: This is impossible! Magic is being drained from my shield! (When breaking her shield)
- Justiciar Adrienne: I won't be stopped here. (Every time after breaking her shield)
- Justiciar Adrienne: Just a little more... more... MORE POWER!
After killing Adrienne:
- Marjory Delaqua: Why do you think Caudecus wanted them to collect bloodstones?
- Rytlock Brimstone: Hopefully to weigh his pockets down while he jumped in a lake.
- Canach: He can't be far now. Move along, everyone!
Proceeding up towards the Colosseum :
- Rytlock Brimstone: The loose magic here has certainly turned this area into a war zone.
- Marjory Delaqua: So, Commander, you really think Caudecus caused the blast to reverse itself?
- <Character name>: Possibly.
- <Character name>: Caithe and I found ground zero and determined something or someone soaked up the lion's share of magic.
- Canach: His escape does seem conveniently timed to be in the right place at the right time.
- Marjory Delaqua: Caithe? What was she doing here?
- <Character name>: Investigating the blast. She asked I forgive her for stealing the egg and... everything.
- Marjory Delaqua: Hmmm... I don't know if I'd be able to. I don't think people can change that much.
- Rytlock Brimstone: Ever the cynic.
- Marjory Delaqua: See? Point proven. I'll never change, either. Ask Kasmeer.
- Canach: It would be hard for me to blame Caithe for her actions while Mordremoth was alive...
- Canach: But let's save the philosophical arguments until after the minister is dealt with.
- Rytlock Brimstone: Then let's lay the man to rest!
- Canach: I think you mean return him to safety.
- Rytlock Brimstone: (chuff) I'll never understand human politics.
- Minister Caudecus: Why do I feel like I'm repeating myself? YOU follow MY orders!
- Minister Caudecus: I don't know where these delusions are coming from... There is one White Mantle, do you hear me? ONE!
- Muffled Voice: Minister, I understand but—
- Minister Caudecus: But! But! Quiet! Now tell me again what this pile of rocks can do.
- Minister Caudecus: Are there magic words? How powerful is it? Well...?
- Canach: That's him, all right
- Marjory Delaqua: Reminds me of a boss I had at the cotton-candy stands when I was younger. (shudder)
- Canach: Everyone ready to crash this party? Time for your foot key, Commander.
- Canach: Minister Caudecus! You've obviously been taken prisoner by the White Mantle zealots.
- Canach: I'm here to rescue you and return you to the Royal Palace.
- Confessor Caudecus: Let's drop the charade, shall we, you ignorant leaf! I will not be returning to Divinity's Reach until I wear the crown!
- Canach: So I'm clear, you're admitting you're associated with the White Mantle?
- Confessor Caudecus: Are you quite touched? I'm their supreme leader! And they will carry me all the way to the throne of Kryta!!
- Canach: Commander, did you witness that?
- <Character name>: I did.
- Canach: Then by the providence granted to me by Countess Anise, I hereby pass sentence on you, Caudecus Beetlestone.
- Canach: Today is your last day on Tyria. Allow my blade to bid you farewell.
- Confessor Caudecus: Get them! Turn this thing on!
- Confessor Caudecus: What do you think of my latest find, Commander? It was a bit of a fixer-upper, but nothing a few bloodstones couldn't mend.
While fighting the Jade Construct
- Canach: I believe it's safe to assume Caudecus didn't absorb the bloodstone's magic; otherwise he'd be down here himself.
- Confessor Caudecus: I wanted to see this thing trample Kryta! Get in there and save it!
- Confessor Caudecus: You will not stop me! The Krytan throne was built upon White Mantle blood, and we are its rightful heirs.
Cinematic upon defeating the Jade Construct
- Lazarus: You are a heretic, Caudecus! And you shall lead no White Mantle, for I am their GOD!
- Confessor Caudecus: What? It—it can't be...!
After the cinematic:
- Lazarus: I am the last mursaat. Many years ago, you knew me as Lazarus the Dire. I have returned from the brink of existence!
- Confessor Caudecus: No! You are a false god! The White Mantle is mine! Don't listen to him!
- Lazarus: Empty words formed by the forked tongue of a snake.
- Lazarus: The human seat of power and its current monarch are inconsequential. We are destined to face more virtuous pursuits.
- Lazarus: My true believers, you're welcome to seek shelter in my light. To those who doubt... you're welcome to burn.
- Marjory Delaqua: Canach! Go now!
Cinematic as Canach chases Caudecus:
- Confessor Caudecus: Don't stand there with your mouth agape! Get me out of here!
- Canach: No!
After the cinematic:
- Canach: Bah! Mesmers! Sorry, Marjory, no offense to Kas.
- Marjory Delaqua: Helpful if they're on your side, annoying if they're not. I understand.
Talking to Canach:
- Canach: He's gone.
- <Character name>: I'm sorry, Canach. I can help to catch him...
- Marjory Delaqua: Doesn't look like there's any sign of Lazarus either.
- Marjory Delaqua: A mursaat alive... We should immediately warn the queen, but he appeared to be disinterested in Kryta.
- Rytlock Brimstone: Surprisingly different from the last time the mursaat were sticking their creepy bird feet where they didn't belong.
- <Character name>: Marjory, weren't you just saying something about people not being able to change?
- Marjory Delaqua: A "virtuous pursuit" could mean a lot of things to a mursaat. But I'll admit, I'm curious.
- Rytlock Brimstone: Yeah, they might think it's noble to make a necklace out of your teeth.
- <Character name>: With Caudecus not displaying any signs of excess power, I think we have to assume Lazarus was the one behind the blast.
- <Character name>: We need to find him; get an idea of what he's planning to do with all that magic.
- Canach: Caudecus will want to hunt him down too.
- Canach: He won't readily surrender control of the White Mantle. One will inevitably lead us to the other.
- <Character name>: Then this'll be a good way to start the new guild; a crisis, but hopefully not a world-ending crisis.
- Canach: It's how I prefer my crises.
- Taimi: Commander, can you read me? I have some news!
- <Character name>: I'm here, Taimi. What do you have?
- Taimi: Something possibly... slightly... marginally... cataclysmic.
- Taimi: I managed to finally get detailed ley readings from the map and determined... well..
- Marjory Delaqua: What is it?
- Taimi: Primordus is active.
Talking to your allies:
- Canach: I understand your priority will be the dragon. Mine, however, is unfortunately spoken for.
- Marjory Delaqua: A dragon and a mursaat. Can't help but feel like we're surrounded.
- Rytlock Brimstone: Looks like it's time to test the new guild's mettle. Into the fire we go.
- This episode was released with the July 26th, 2016 update.