General Almorra Soulkeeper
General Almorra Soulkeeper
Some must fight, so that all may be free.
General Almorra Soulkeeper is the founder and one of the leaders of the Vigil, alongside Laranthir of the Wild, Warmaster Efut, Lord Rodrigo of Cormoch, and Jhavi Jorasdottir. She is the dam of Ajax Anvilburn and an unnamed daughter, and the granddam of Ember Doomforge. After losing her warband to Kralkatorrik's Dragonbrand, Almorra resolved to gather like-minded people from all races into a military organization to fight against the Elder Dragons.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Locations
- 3 Story involvement
- 4 Event involvement
- 5 Combat abilities
- 6 Dialogue
- 7 Gallery
- 8 Notes
- 9 Trivia
- 10 References
Almorra Soulkeeper was once a legionnaire in the Blood Legion. While serving in the legion, she gave birth to two cubs: a son named Ajax Anvilburn, and an unnamed daughter who would eventually give birth to Almorra's granddaughter Ember Doomforge. As per legion custom, Almorra left her cubs to be raised in the fahrar and never got to know them well.
Under the orders of her centurion who was in command of charr forces interdicting enemy supplies, Almorra was on patrol with her Soul Warband in the Lowland Burns in 1320 AE when the Elder Dragon Kralkatorrik passed overhead. Beginning with her second-in-command Harthog Soulslasher, Almorra's warband succumbed to the Elder Dragon's breath and became Branded; Almorra, however, miraculously survived despite being a foot away from Harthog. After shattering the Branded Harthog who had attacked her, she witnessed the rest of the Branded warband turn on one another and waited until there were only a few of them left before destroying the rest. In time, Soulkeeper's slaying of her warband came to be known as Almorra's Massacre.
As a result of her having witnessed firsthand this new horrific threat and losing her entire warband, Almorra became a gladium and fell into depression at the realization how impossible it was for a single person to take on an Elder Dragon. For a time she refused help from anyone and focused on revenge until a few unlikely allies, including Laranthir of the Wild, helped her return to her senses and turn her mission of vengeance into a mission of justice. She made a vow to her fallen warband to destroy the Elder Dragon and its minions. Realizing that only through unity could the Tyrian races hope to defeat the Elder Dragons, and wanting to save her from herself, Almorra founded a military organization which she named the Vigil. As the General of the Vigil, Almorra had a cunning strategic mind and a dry sense of humor.
Ajax reunited with Almorra after the founding of the Vigil. The general tried to explain to her son why she had left the Blood Legion for the Vigil, but Ajax did not understand the threat of the Elder Dragons and viewed Almorra's campaign as a waste of time before parting ways with her.
In 1326 AE, the Molten Alliance assaulted both charr and norn lands and took prisoners. The Vigil responded by mobilizing its forces with Almorra herself turning her focus from the Elder Dragons to this newest threat and being welcoming of any aid adventurers and locals provided to her forces. Thanks to the efforts of the Pact Commander, Braham Eirsson, Rox and adventurers, the Vigil eventually beat the Molten Alliance back and rescued surviving prisoners.
Almorra later learned about the sylvari terrorist Scarlet Briar's involvement in the forming of the Molten Alliance and other sinister alliances as well as the Battle for Lion's Arch which ended in the destruction of the port city, Scarlet's demise and the redirection of underground ley lines east to the Heart of Maguuma. While Lion's Arch was being rebuilt, Almorra had the Vigil shelter refugees and businesses in the Vigil Keep and refugee camps in safe areas surrounding the ruined port city.
The Pact's campaign in the Heart of Maguuma cost many lives. Following the untimely death of Pact Marshal Trahearne during the final battle against Mordremoth, Almorra took the lead in regrouping the allied forces of the Pact in the interim while searching for a candidate to take Trahearne's position as the new Pact Marshal. She initially approached the Pact Commander with the offer in Rata Novus in 1329 AE only to witness the Commander not only politely declining the position but also resigning from active duty in the Pact.
Disappointed but understanding of the decision, Almorra promised that the Commander would retain their former Pact rank for life and offered her personal airship, the Pride of the Pact, to drop the Commander, Rytlock and Canach off at Bloodstone Fen so the group could pursue Minister Caudecus who had disappeared from the Royal Palace of Divinity's Reach earlier. She also delivered a written summons from the Legions for Rytlock Brimstone to return to the Black Citadel for questioning about his time in the Mists, only to witness him deliberately ignoring the summons.
As the airship approached Bloodstone Fen, however, the passengers witnessed the Maguuma Bloodstone exploding and nearly consuming everything in its radius before the blast suddenly reversed. After regaining their composure, the crew focused on repairing the damaged airship while the Commander, Canach and Rytlock explored the area both for leads on Caudecus's whereabouts and to learn what exactly had transpired as well as if there were any survivors. While she was kept up to date by the Commander, Almorra oversaw repairs of the airship and helped transport the Commander's party out of Bloodstone Fen after they had concluded their mission there.
Almorra contacted Logan Thackeray in 1330 AE and offered him the position of Pact Marshal. Although Logan was initially reluctant to become marshal, he reconsidered his stance and accepted the general's offer when he realized he was not needed at Queen Jennah's side following the successful defense of Divinity's Reach against the White Mantle insurrection.
After Kralkatorrik had used its new powers to raise one of the felled Shatterers in 1331 AE, Almorra and her Pact troops tracked the revived Shatterer on its way to the Jahai Bluffs, intending to destroy it. The Shatterer downed their airships—including Almorra's new personal airship Soul's Vendetta—during the chase, however, and vanished through a hole in the sky, later revealed to be a rift into the Mists. Realizing that the Shatterer would probably go after the Pact Commander who had been traveling around Elona, Almorra and her forces headed to the Fortress of Jahai to intercept the Shatterer only to arrive there too late to stop it from leaving again.
After a brief reunion with the Commander during which she explained how she had ended up at Jahai, Almorra focused on the threat the Shatterer posed to the region. Not wanting to be ambushed again, the general devised a plan to use Bloodstone shards as bait to bring the Shatterer down out of the sky at tactically advantageous terrain while gathering local allies such as Awakened, Corsairs, Sunspears, griffons and reprogrammed Rata Primus DERV golems to assist her. While preparing for the fight with the Shatterer, Almorra had conversations with Bait-o-Tron, who complained about being used as a bait carrying Bloodstone shards, much to the general's annoyance. Almorra's army eventually cornered and destroyed the dragon champion although the Pact members knew that the general would not be satisfied until she had defeated Kralkatorrik itself.
- Chapter 4: Order Neophyte
- Chapter 6: The Battle of Claw Island
- Chapter 8: Victory or Death
- Destroy the Death-Branded Shatterer (80) [Group Event]
- For previous dialogue, see here.
- If not a member of the Vigil
- Whatever your business here, make it quick and efficient. We're at war, and my soldiers don't have time to entertain tourists.
- Aye, aye, captain.
- If a member of the Vigil
- (in an early state)
- As you were, soldier. Keep up the good work.
- I will, General.
- (after The Battle of Claw Island)
- At ease, warmaster. Tell me your operations are going well. I need some good news. I've been making plans to take back Claw Island.
- I'm ready when you are, General.
- (after Retribution)
- At ease, Warmaster. We're close to finishing this dragon, and I expect you on your toes. We're counting on you.
- For the Vigil.
At Almorra's Stand
- Ears up, claws out!
Ready to fight the Shatterer?
- I was born for this.
- We'll take him down together.
- Always, General.
- Of the three order leaders, who can be seen in the first part of the Retribution storyline, Almorra is the only one of Legendary rank.
- Almorra has two cubs, one of whom is the Renegade leader Ajax Anvilburn. Ember Doomforge is her grandcub.
- Almorra's Stand and Soul's Vendetta are named after her.
- Almorra is voiced by Jayne Taini in content released before Living World Season 4, where she is voiced by Courtenay Taylor.
- "Almora's Revelation" from the Guild Wars 2 soundtrack is named after her.
- Almorra's famous quote "Some must fight, so that all may be free." is often said by members of the Vigil upon interacting with them. She is also known for other sayings such as "You can't kill two birds with one stone until you have a stone in the hand."
- ^ Crusader Arevir Soulhammer
- ^ Chapter 8, Ghosts of Ascalon by Matt Forbeck and Jeff Grubb:
- Soulkeeper grunted. "I served as a legionnaire in the Blood Legion at the time. Our centurion was in charge of interdicting enemy supplies and was overseeing the scores of our finest warbands stationed there. I was on patrol with my own warband in eastern Ascalon when the Crystal Dragon stirred.
- "I fell into my own personal darkness, my friends slain by a force greater than I could hope to confront." General Almorra Soulkeeper seemed to forget that Dougal was there, her lips drawn back to over bared teeth. "I became a gladium, a charr without a warband, and refused any aid in my darkness. At last, with the help of a few unlikely allies, I came to myself and knew what had to be done.
- "I knew then that this was no foe that a single people could confront," Soulkeeper said. "To have any hope of defeating an Elder Dragon, the peoples of Tyria would have to band together to fight it."
- "That's why you formed the Vigil," Dougal said.
- "Yes," said Almorra. "And although I work to save Tyria, I also know I act to save myself."
- ^ Assault the Hill
- Laranthir of the Wild: Glad to have you with us, recruit. I am Laranthir of the Wild, second-in-command of the Vigil. You could also say that I'm its co-founder.
- <Character name>: What do you mean?
- Laranthir of the Wild: When General Soulkeeper lost her warband to the crystal dragon, I was the one who convinced her to turn her quest for vengeance into a worldwide campaign against all the Elder Dragons.
- ^ Hunters and Prey Trahearne: Laranthir of the Wild is the Vigil's second in command. He helped convinced General Soulkeeper to turn her mission of vengeance into a mission of justice. He's a tremendous asset.
- ^ Commander Gresham
- ^ Splintered Coast ambient dialogue
- ^ An Interview with Queen Jennah
- ^ Regrouping with the Queen
- Logan Thackeray: General Soulkeeper came to see me the other day and offered me the position of Pact Marshal.
- Logan Thackeray: I didn't...at first I didn't think it was for me, but my injuries and today...
- Logan Thackeray: Well, my eyes were opened to...my role here.
- Logan Thackeray: Her Majesty has always been the kind of person to do things her own way. It's time I started doing the same.
- ^ Almorra's Stand ambient dialogue
- ^ Pact Vanguard ambient dialogue
- ^ Comment by Eve Eschenbacher, Reddit.com
- ^ Pry the Eye Open Crusader Slep: Now let's find Gorr. As General Soulkeeper says, "you can't kill two birds with one stone until you have a stone in the hand."