General Almorra Soulkeeper
General Almorra Soulkeeper
Some must fight, so that all may be free.
General Almorra Soulkeeper is the founder and one of the leaders of the Vigil, alongside Laranthir of the Wild, Warmaster Efut, Lord Rodrigo of Cormoch, and Jhavi Jorasdottir. After losing her warband to Kralkatorrik's Dragonbrand, Almorra resolved to gather like-minded people from all races into a military organization to fight against the Elder Dragons.
Almorra Soulkeeper was once a legionnaire in the Blood Legion. Under the orders of her centurion who was in command of charr forces interdicting enemy supplies, she was on patrol with her Soul Warband in the Lowland Burns in 1320 AE when the Elder Dragon Kralkatorrik passed overhead. Beginning with her second-in-command Harthog Soulslasher, Almorra's warband succumbed to the Elder Dragon's breath and became Branded; Almorra, however, miraculously survived despite being a foot away from Harthog. After shattering the Branded Harthog who had attacked her, she witnessed the rest of the Branded warband turn on one another and waited until there were only a few of them left before destroying the rest. In time, Soulkeeper's slaying of her warband came to be known as Almorra's Massacre.
As a result of her having witnessed firsthand this new horrific threat and losing her entire warband, Almorra became a gladium and fell into depression at the realization how impossible it was for a single person to take on an Elder Dragon. For a time she refused help from anyone and focused on revenge until a few unlikely allies, including Laranthir of the Wild, helped her return to her senses and turn her mission of vengeance into a mission of justice. She made a vow to her fallen warband to destroy the Elder Dragon and its minions. Realizing that only through unity could the Tyrian races hope to defeat the Elder Dragons, and wanting to save her from herself, Almorra founded a military organization which she named the Vigil. As the General of the Vigil, Almorra had a cunning strategic mind and a dry sense of humor.
In 1326 AE, the Molten Alliance assaulted both charr and norn lands and took prisoners. The Vigil responded by mobilizing its forces with Almorra herself turning her focus from the Elder Dragons to this newest threat and being welcoming of any aid adventurers and locals provided to her forces. Thanks to the efforts of the Pact Commander, Braham Eirsson, Rox and adventurers, the Vigil eventually beat the Molten Alliance back and rescued surviving prisoners.
Almorra later learned about the sylvari terrorist Scarlet Briar's involvement in the forming of the Molten Alliance and other sinister alliances as well as the Battle for Lion's Arch which ended in the destruction of the port city, Scarlet's demise and the redirection of underground ley lines east to the Heart of Maguuma.
The Pact's campaign in the Heart of Maguuma cost many lives. Following the untimely death of Pact Marshal Trahearne during the final battle against Mordremoth, Almorra took the lead in regrouping the allied forces of the Pact in the interim while searching for a candidate to take Trahearne's position as the new Pact Marshal. She initially approached the Pact Commander with the offer in Rata Novus in 1329 AE only to witness the Commander not only politely declining the position but also resigning from active duty in the Pact.
Disappointed but understanding of the decision, Almorra promised that the Commander would retain their former Pact rank for life and offered her personal airship, the Pride of the Pact, to drop the Commander, Rytlock and Canach off at Bloodstone Fen so the group could pursue Minister Caudecus who had disappeared from the Royal Palace of Divinity's Reach earlier. She also delivered a written summons from the Legions for Rytlock Brimstone to return to the Black Citadel for questioning about his time in the Mists, only to witness him deliberately ignoring the summons.
As the airship approached Bloodstone Fen, however, the passengers witnessed the Maguuma Bloodstone exploding and nearly consuming everything in its radius before the blast suddenly reversed. After regaining their composure, the crew focused on repairing the damaged airship while the Commander, Canach and Rytlock explored the area both for leads on Caudecus's whereabouts and to learn what exactly had transpired and if there were any survivors. While she was kept up to date by the Commander, Almorra oversaw repairs of the airship and helped transport the Commander's party out of Bloodstone Fen after they had concluded their mission there.
- Chapter 4: Order Neophyte
- Chapter 6: The Battle of Claw Island
- Chapter 8: Victory or Death
- For previous dialogue, see here.
- If not a member of the Vigil
- Whatever your business here, make it quick and efficient. We're at war, and my soldiers don't have time to entertain tourists.
- Aye, aye, captain.
- If a member of the Vigil
- (in an early state)
- As you were, soldier. Keep up the good work.
- I will, General.
- (after The Battle of Claw Island)
- At ease, warmaster. Tell me your operations are going well. I need some good news. I've been making plans to take back Claw Island.
- I'm ready when you are, General.
- (after Retribution)
- At ease, Warmaster. We're close to finishing this dragon, and I expect you on your toes. We're counting on you.
- For the Vigil.
- Almorra has two cubs, one of whom is the Renegade leader Ajax Anvilburn. Ember Doomforge is her grandcub.
- Of the three order leaders, who can be seen in the first part of the Retribution storyline, Almorra is the only one of Legendary rank.
- Almorra is voiced by Jayne Taini in content released before Living World Season 4, where she is voiced by Courtenay Taylor. 
- "Almora's Revelation" from the Guild Wars 2 soundtrack is named after her.
- ^ Chapter 8, Ghosts of Ascalon by Matt Forbeck and Jeff Grubb:
- Soulkeeper grunted. "I served as a legionnaire in the Blood Legion at the time. Our centurion was in charge of interdicting enemy supplies and was overseeing the scores of our finest warbands stationed there. I was on patrol with my own warband in eastern Ascalon when the Crystal Dragon stirred.
- "I fell into my own personal darkness, my friends slain by a force greater than I could hope to confront." General Almorra Soulkeeper seemed to forget that Dougal was there, her lips drawn back to over bared teeth. "I became a gladium, a charr without a warband, and refused any aid in my darkness. At last, with the help of a few unlikely allies, I came to myself and knew what had to be done.
- "I knew then that this was no foe that a single people could confront," Soulkeeper said. "To have any hope of defeating an Elder Dragon, the peoples of Tyria would have to band together to fight it."
- "That's why you formed the Vigil," Dougal said.
- "Yes," said Almorra. "And although I work to save Tyria, I also know I act to save myself."
- ^ Hunters and Prey Trahearne: Laranthir of the Wild is the Vigil's second in command. He helped convinced General Soulkeeper to turn her mission of vengeance into a mission of justice. He's a tremendous asset.
- ^ Commander Gresham
- ^ Ambient dialogue on the Splintered Coast
- ^ An Interview with Queen Jennah
- ^ https://old.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/9gyc69/spoilers_a_star_to_guide_us_story_discussion/e69xc5l/