General Almorra Soulkeeper
General Almorra Soulkeeper
Some must fight, so that all may be free.
General Almorra Soulkeeper is the founder and one of the leaders of the Vigil, alongside Laranthir of the Wild, Warmaster Efut, Lord Rodrigo of Cormoch, and Jhavi Jorasdottir. She is the dam of Ajax Anvilburn and an unnamed daughter, and the granddam of Ember Doomforge. After losing her warband to Kralkatorrik's Dragonbrand, Almorra resolved to gather like-minded people from all races into a military organization to fight against the Elder Dragons.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Locations
- 3 Story involvement
- 4 Event involvement
- 5 Combat abilities
- 6 Dialogue
- 7 Quotes
- 8 Gallery
- 9 Notes
- 10 Related achievements
- 11 Trivia
- 12 See also
- 13 References
Almorra Soulkeeper was once a legionnaire in the Blood Legion. While serving in the legion, she gave birth to two cubs: a son named Ajax Anvilburn, and an unnamed daughter who would eventually give birth to Almorra's granddaughter Ember Doomforge. As per legion custom, Almorra left her cubs to be raised in the fahrar and never got to know them well.
Under the orders of her centurion who was in command of charr forces interdicting enemy supplies, Almorra was on patrol with her Soul Warband in the Lowland Burns in 1320 AE when the recently awakened Elder Dragon Kralkatorrik passed overhead. Beginning with her second-in-command Harthog Soulslasher, Almorra's warband succumbed to the Crystal Dragon's breath and became Branded; Almorra, however, miraculously survived despite being a foot away from Harthog. After shattering the Branded Harthog who had attacked her, she witnessed the rest of the Branded warband turn on one another and waited until there were only a few of them left before destroying the rest. In time, Soulkeeper's slaying of her warband came to be known as Almorra's Massacre.
As a result of her having witnessed firsthand this new horrific threat and losing her entire warband, Almorra became a gladium and fell into depression at the realization how impossible it was for a single person to take on an Elder Dragon. For a time she refused help from anyone and focused on revenge until a few unlikely allies, including Laranthir of the Wild, helped her return to her senses and turn her mission of vengeance into a mission of justice. She made a vow to her fallen warband to destroy Kralkatorrik and the Crystal Dragon's minions. Realizing that only through unity could the Tyrian races hope to defeat the Elder Dragons, and wanting to save her from herself, Almorra founded a military organization which she named the Vigil, coining the order's motto "Some must fight, so that all may be free." As the General of the Vigil, Almorra had a cunning strategic mind and a dry sense of humor.
Ajax reunited with Almorra after the founding of the Vigil. The general tried to explain to her son why she had left the Blood Legion for the Vigil, but Ajax did not understand the threat of the Elder Dragons and viewed Almorra's campaign as a waste of time before parting ways with her.
After learning that Almorra had left the Blood Legion and founded the Vigil as a direct response to the threat posed by Kralkatorrik and other Elder Dragons in 1320 AE, Ash Legion Imperator Malice Swordshadow ordered her trusted agent Ember Doomforge, Almorra's grandcub, to infiltrate the order under the pretense of remitting Ember from the legion to boost the Vigil's numbers. However, the three female charr all knew the real reason Ember was in the Vigil: to report to Malice on the Vigil's activities. Almorra accepted Ember into the order without issue despite knowing Ember's true allegiance; it is suggested that the general eventually learned that Malice was secretly supportive of the faction among the charr who were working for a truce with humanity so they could free more of their forces to fight the Elder Dragons, a goal which Almorra herself was after.
In early 1325, General Soulkeeper continued her efforts to guarantee and safeguard the Ebonhawke Treaty negotiations. This brought her into direct conflict with her son, Ajax Anvilburn, a Renegade charr whom aggressively opposed peace between the humans and the charr. After an attempted bombing assault and a large scale infiltration of the Stronghold of Ebonhawke, Ajax attempted to assault the Summit Peak where the treaty negotiations took place. The attack was repelled, and Ajax was slain shortly afterwards, largely thanks to substantial Vigil involvements, who were able to operate without sparking further racial tensions between the two negotiating parties. General Soulkeeper kept her relation to Ajax hidden during the conflict, believing that misplaced sentimentality would threaten the Vigil's operation.
During the 1325 invasion of Lion's Arch following the first Battle of Claw Island, General Soulkeeper personally led the defense against the Elder Dragon Zhaitan's armies as they invaded the Bloodcoast Ward, east of Fort Marriner. The Vigil troops were able to repel the attack successfully, prompting the General to return to the Vigil Keep in Gendarran Fields to raise an army for the coming war. Zhaitan armies preempted her, swiftly besieging the Vigil fortress by swarming out of the water, and carefully timing their assault during a change of guard. The assault was ultimately not successful however, serving mostly to inform the General further about the extent of Zhaitan's tactical capabilities. Bringing her soldiers back down to Lion's Arch for the counterattack, she pledged the Vigil's strength to the Pact, though not before insisting on a proper hierarchy. This prompted the sylvari firstborn Trahearne being nominated as the Pact Marshal. The newly-founded Pact then continued on to liberate Fort Stalwart in the second Battle of Claw Island, driving Zhaitan back into the sea, and paving the way for the reclamation of Fort Trinity and the Pact invasion of Orr.
Almorra sent some Vigil soldiers to the concealed camp of Burnt Hollow to observe the Flame Legion's magic and weapons. The Vigil troops were also ordered to destroy Flame Legion resources, tear down their camps, and kill any who attacked them.
In 1326 AE, the Molten Alliance assaulted both charr and norn lands and took prisoners. The Vigil responded by mobilizing its forces with Almorra herself turning her focus from the Elder Dragons to this newest threat and being welcoming of any aid adventurers and locals provided to her forces. Thanks to the efforts of the Pact Commander, Braham Eirsson, Rox and adventurers, the Vigil eventually beat the Molten Alliance back and rescued surviving prisoners.
Later that year, Vigil tacticians reported that Tequatl the Sunless, a champion of Zhaitan, seemed to have evolved; its attacks had become more elaborate as it learned from each encounter with the order. Almorra dispatched Warmaster Narru to investigate the reports, theorizing that the change Tequatl was undergoing may have been a response to the Pact offensive in Orr. Vigil forces and adventurers such as Rox eventually brought down the evolved Tequatl to end the threat it posed to the region.
Almorra eventually learned about the sylvari terrorist Scarlet Briar's involvement in the forming of the Molten Alliance and other sinister alliances. When these alliances first attacked Lion's Arch, Almorra had Vigil Keep opened for refugees and services, turning an inner portion of the keep into a new hub for asura gates leading to the capital cities for the duration of the Battle for Lion's Arch. In addition she stationed troops at Applenook Hamlet to secure the northern entrance into Lion's Arch. The refugee camp remained for a while after services, and asura gates, returned to the destroyed Lion's Arch while it was being rebuilt.
The Pact's campaign in the Heart of Maguuma cost many lives. Following the untimely death of Pact Marshal Trahearne during the final battle against Mordremoth, Almorra took the lead in regrouping the allied forces of the Pact in the interim while searching for a candidate to take Trahearne's position as the new Pact Marshal. She initially approached the Pact Commander with the offer in Rata Novus in 1329 AE only to witness the Commander not only politely declining the position but also resigning from active duty in the Pact.
Disappointed but understanding of the decision, Almorra promised that the Commander would retain their former Pact rank for life and offered her personal airship, the Pride of the Pact, to drop the Commander, Rytlock and Canach off at Bloodstone Fen so the group could pursue Minister Caudecus who had disappeared from the Royal Palace of Divinity's Reach earlier. She also delivered a written summons from the Legions for Rytlock Brimstone to return to the Black Citadel for questioning about his time in the Mists, only to witness him deliberately ignoring the summons.
As the airship approached Bloodstone Fen, however, the passengers witnessed the Maguuma Bloodstone exploding and nearly consuming everything in its radius before the blast suddenly reversed. After regaining their composure, the crew focused on repairing the damaged airship while the Commander, Canach and Rytlock explored the area both for leads on Caudecus's whereabouts and to learn what exactly had transpired as well as if there were any survivors. While she was kept up to date by the Commander, Almorra oversaw repairs of the airship and helped transport the Commander's party out of Bloodstone Fen after they had concluded their mission there.
Almorra contacted Logan Thackeray in 1330 AE and offered him the position of Pact Marshal. Although Logan was initially reluctant to become marshal, he reconsidered his stance and accepted the general's offer when he realized he was not needed at Queen Jennah's side following the successful defense of Divinity's Reach against the White Mantle insurrection.
After Kralkatorrik had used his new powers to raise one of the felled Shatterers in 1331 AE, Almorra and her Pact troops tracked the revived Shatterer on its way to the Jahai Bluffs, intending to destroy it. The Shatterer downed their airships—including Almorra's new personal airship Soul's Vendetta—during the chase, however, and vanished through a hole in the sky, later revealed to be a rift into the Mists. Realizing that the Shatterer would probably go after the Pact Commander who had been traveling around Elona, Almorra and her forces headed to the Fortress of Jahai to intercept the Shatterer only to arrive there too late to stop it from leaving again.
After a brief reunion with the Commander during which she explained how she had ended up at Jahai, Almorra learned that the Shatterer had in fact been after the Commander's dragon ally Aurene whose existence posed a threat to Kralkatorrik. The general decided to focus on the threat the Shatterer posed to the region to assist the Commander and hamper Kralkatorrik's forces. Not wanting to be ambushed again, she devised a plan to use Bloodstone shards as bait to bring the Shatterer down out of the sky at tactically advantageous terrain while gathering local allies such as Awakened, corsairs, Sunspears, griffons and reprogrammed Rata Primus DERV golems to assist her. While preparing for the fight with the Shatterer, Almorra had conversations with Bait-o-Tron, who complained about being used as a bait carrying Bloodstone shards, much to the general's annoyance. Almorra's army eventually cornered and destroyed the dragon champion although the Pact members knew that the general would not be satisfied until she had defeated Kralkatorrik.
Almorra and her troops met with Marshal Logan Thackeray and joined the Pact Commander's allied forces from Elona and Central Tyria in the assault on Kralkatorrik at Thunderhead Peaks. Upon meeting the Commander, the general expressed great interest in avenging her fallen warband and killing the Crystal Dragon. She listened to the Commander's speech in the strategy meeting before participating in the battle in the Auditorium where Aurene assisted them. Although the Pact forces succeeded in injuring Kralkatorrik with newly forged Dragonsblood Spears, the battle ultimately ended with the wounded Crystal Dragon wreaking havoc in the area and killing Aurene and several members of the alliance before fleeing from the trap into the Mists. Almorra was buried under rubble but was dug up by local dredge who had aligned themselves with the Commander and assisted in the battle against Kralkatorrik.
After recovering, the general went to Aurene's pierced corpse to pay her respects, and also consoled the corsair captain Sayida the Sly who had lost much of her crew in the Crystal Dragon's rampage. Despite Aurene's apparent demise, however, the dragon was able to revive herself by using lich magic, which she had consumed upon defeating Palawa Joko in the earlier Battle of Gandara, once the sylvari Caithe and the Commander had removed a Branded spike that had pierced her heart and prevented her from healing. The reinvigorated Aurene and the Commander entered the Mists to give chase to the injured Kralkatorrik and drive him back to Tyria before the Elder Dragon could consume more magic to heal himself. Meanwhile Logan informed Almorra and the rest of the Pact to follow the Commander's signal and have an airship fleet waiting for Kralkatorrik's exit point so they could begin the assault on the wounded Crystal Dragon right away. The fleet witnessed Kralkatorrik emerging from the Mists and being pinned underneath chunks from the realms of Fissure of Woe, Melandru's Lost Domain, and the Underworld which formed a new landmass called Dragonfall in the Clashing Seas south of Orr.
Excited at being granted a second chance to take down Kralkatorrik, Almorra mustered all the forces she was able to direct a three-pronged assault on the trapped Crystal Dragon. While setting up a base of operations at Pact Command, she conversed with the Commander's asuran ally Gorrik; although she was irritated by the asura's attitude, she acknowledged his knowledge being useful for the campaign ahead and had her troops help him move his equipment to disrupt the Brandstorms Kralkatorrik was generating around his body.
After learning about the Commander and Aurene's plan to block the ley lines which Kralkatorrik was feeding on to heal himself, Almorra led an assault of the combined Elonian and Tyrian forces as well as the ghostly Mist Wardens to keep the Crystal Dragon focused on them so the Commander's party could slip in unnoticed. With the ley lines blocked and the Branded trying to stop both the allied army and the Commander's party, the general was able to deal a killing blow to Kralkatorrik's physical shell. However, even though the body died, Kralkatorrik's heart continued beating, so the Commander and Aurene resolved to enter the Elder Dragon's body while their allies Caithe, Rytlock, and Zafirah stayed behind to protect the blocked ley lines from Branded. After facing many obstacles, the Commander and Aurene successfully pierced Kralkatorrik's heart, and Aurene transformed upon taking in the Crystal Dragon's magic. Everyone present on Dragonfall witnessed the ascended Aurene shooting across the sky like a star as an Elder Dragon of Light, signalling a new age for Tyria.
While most of the Commander's close allies headed home shortly after the Battle of Dragonfall, Almorra stayed behind to organize Pact forces before heading back to Central Tyria herself with the relief that she had avenged her warband at long last. Despite her hard-fought victory, however, the general was aware that the Vigil's mission was not yet over: three more nefarious Elder Dragons remained in the world, and the forces of Tyria had to be prepared for their rise.
Blood Legion Imperator Bangar Ruinbringer invited Almorra to Grothmar Valley for the All-Legion Rally which was ostensibly held to celebrate the death of Kralkatorrik. The general was praised as the hero of the Blood Legion who had taken down the Crystal Dragon. Metal Legion, a charr band sponsored by Bangar, dedicated Ballad of Soulkeeper to her and debuted the song during a concert to a crowd of cheering charr. Varinia Stormsounder, Bangar's Minister of Morale, attempted to sweet-talk Almorra into attending the concert as the hero of the hour to boost legion morale.
The general, however, was more focused on traveling to the Vigil's northern outpost to deliver the news of Kralkatorrik's death and get a status report on the troops' monitoring of the area since Jormag had gone dormant following the destruction of Taimi's Machine. Irritated at being the center of attention, Almorra refused the minister's offer, pointing out that it was odd that the Blood Legion would suddenly recognize and honor a gladium like her after all these years. Spotting the Pact Commander approaching her, she used the opportunity to talk to the Commander in private to inform them of her plans and asked the Commander to distract the minister so she could slip away unnoticed.
Before departing to the Far Shiverpeaks, Almorra learned that some rowdy charr had roughed up one of her human Vigil soldiers whom Rytlock had saved. The general stormed into Bangar's office and accused him of not keeping "his thugs" in line. Bangar refuted Almorra's accusations, however, claiming that she had overestimated his influence on the legions and that charr simply forgot how fragile humans could be when handled. Furious at the Blood Imperator's evasions, Almorra left the office without saying another word, passing by the Commander, Rytlock and Crecia Stoneglow who were on their way to talk with Bangar about increasing acts of violence committed by charr towards other races in the festival.
Shortly after the meeting, the Commander, Crecia and Rytlock discovered that Bangar had been using the celebration as a front for his true intentions to rally supporters from all the four legions and Renegades behind him and lead them north to find and subdue Jormag as the charr's Elder Dragon deterrent weapon against Aurene. Having been unable to stop Bangar's advance, Rytlock contacted Almorra to let her know about the escalating danger and see if the general could slow down the renegade charr who would be passing by the same Vigil encampment Almorra had traveled to.
While the Pact Commander was searching for a way to follow Bangar through the Shvierpeak Pass, Almorra Soulkeeper contacted the Commander through her communication device requesting assistance at Jora's Keep. Noting her voice sounded strange, the Commander gathered Braham, Marjory Delaqua, Crecia, and Rytlock to join them and arrived via Chopper to an empty keep. After investigating the area, Dragon's Watch learned that Almorra and Jhavi Jorasdottir were taken captive by Sons of Svanir and followed their trail. Eventually, the Commander found a note from Almorra addressed to the freed Jhavi, mentioning code to meet at Darkrime Delves. When the Commander arrived, however, all they found was Almorra's Sword and a pile of rubble. Beneath the rubble, they discovered Almorra's body, given an impromptu burial by an unknown party after her death.
A small ceremony was held by the Vigil relief crew stationed at Jora's Keep, and mentions of Jhavi taking her place, and a small memorial was built there using her sword. After defeating the Fraenir of Jormag, Dragon's Watch concluded that the reason Almorra's call to the Commander sounded strange was because Jormag had possessed Almorra's corpse to make the call.
- Chapter 4: Order Neophyte
- Chapter 6: The Battle of Claw Island
- Chapter 8: Victory or Death
- Episode 4: A Star to Guide Us
- Episode 5: All or Nothing
- Episode 6: War Eternal
- Prologue: Bound by Blood
- Episode 1: Whisper in the Dark
- Destroy the Death-Branded Shatterer (80) [Group Event]
- For previous dialogue, see here.
- If not a member of the Vigil
- Whatever your business here, make it quick and efficient. We're at war, and my soldiers don't have time to entertain tourists.
- Aye, aye, captain.
- If a member of the Vigil
- (in an early state)
- As you were, soldier. Keep up the good work.
- I will, General.
- (after The Battle of Claw Island)
- At ease, warmaster. Tell me your operations are going well. I need some good news. I've been making plans to take back Claw Island.
- I'm ready when you are, General.
- (after Retribution)
- At ease, Warmaster. We're close to finishing this dragon, and I expect you on your toes. We're counting on you.
- For the Vigil.
At Almorra's Stand
- Ears up, claws out!
Ready to fight the Shatterer?
- I was born for this.
- We'll take him down together.
- Always, General.
- At Dragonfall
- Damn the odds. I want revenge. I want that dragon crushed to sand.
- We're so close I can taste it.
Almorra standing before Kralkatorrik.
- Of the three order leaders, who can be seen in the first part of the Retribution storyline, Almorra is the only one of Legendary rank.
- Almorra has two cubs, one of whom is the Renegade leader Ajax Anvilburn. Ember Doomforge is her grandcub.
- Almorra's Stand and Soul's Vendetta are named after her.
- War Eternal: Skyscale of Blood — Infuse your skyscale egg with blood. (1)
- Almorra is voiced by Jayne Taini in content released before Living World Season 4. Since then she is voiced by Courtenay Taylor.
- "Almora'ssoundtrack is named after her. The Metal Legion has dedicated the Ballad of Soulkeeper to her.
- Almorra's famous quote "Some must fight, so that all may be free." is often said by members of the Vigil upon interacting with them. She is also known for other sayings such as "You can't kill two birds with one stone until you have a stone in the hand."
- Associated items
- ^ a b c Chapter 8, Ghosts of Ascalon by Matt Forbeck and Jeff Grubb:
- Soulkeeper grunted. "I served as a legionnaire in the Blood Legion at the time. Our centurion was in charge of interdicting enemy supplies and was overseeing the scores of our finest warbands stationed there. I was on patrol with my own warband in eastern Ascalon when the Crystal Dragon stirred. [...]
- "I fell into my own personal darkness, my friends slain by a force greater than I could hope to confront." General Almorra Soulkeeper seemed to forget that Dougal was there, her lips drawn back to over bared teeth. "I became a gladium, a charr without a warband, and refused any aid in my darkness. At last, with the help of a few unlikely allies, I came to myself and knew what had to be done.
- "I knew then that this was no foe that a single people could confront," Soulkeeper said. "To have any hope of defeating an Elder Dragon, the peoples of Tyria would have to band together to fight it."
- "That's why you formed the Vigil," Dougal said.
- "Yes," said Almorra. "And although I work to save Tyria, I also know I act to save myself."
- ^ a b Minister's Defense / Quaestor's Siege
- General Almorra Soulkeeper: Ajax was my son. As is our custom, I didn't raise him. I left him at the fahrar, and he found me again after my warband was slaughtered by a dragon.
- General Almorra Soulkeeper: I tried to explain to him why I founded the Vigil, but he said I was wasting my time. He never really understood the threat the dragons pose.
- General Almorra Soulkeeper: Like many in the legions, Ajax never looked beyond the charr. I will grieve for my son, but I will not look back. [...]
- <Character name>: Do you have any other 'wayward children' we should know about, ma'am?
- General Almorra Soulkeeper: Don't get cute with me, Crusader. Yes, I have a daughter...but that's another story.
- ^ Crusader Arevir Soulhammer
- ^ Assault the Hill
- Laranthir of the Wild: Glad to have you with us, recruit. I am Laranthir of the Wild, second-in-command of the Vigil. You could also say that I'm its co-founder.
- <Character name>: What do you mean?
- Laranthir of the Wild: When General Soulkeeper lost her warband to the crystal dragon, I was the one who convinced her to turn her quest for vengeance into a worldwide campaign against all the Elder Dragons.
- ^ Hunters and Prey Trahearne: Laranthir of the Wild is the Vigil's second in command. He helped convinced General Soulkeeper to turn her mission of vengeance into a mission of justice. He's a tremendous asset.
- ^ Commander Gresham
- ^ Splintered Coast ambient dialogue
- ^ Chapter 17, Ghosts of Ascalon by Jeff Grubb and Matt Forbeck:
- "I have no 'master,'" Ember growled. "Yes, the asura is correct: I am part of the Ash Legion. Doom Warband. My imperator is Malice Swordshadow. She personally sent me to serve with the Vigil. She knew that I would prove valuable there."
- "To who?" asked Riona.
- Ember shifted uncomfortably. "To Soulkeeper, of course, and—and to the Ash Legion as well."
- "So you've been spying on the Vigil for the Ash Legion?" Dougal asked.
- Ember paused for a moment, then nodded. "General Soulkeeper knew this from the moment I reported to her. She is no fool."
- "And she let you go on with your charade despite this?" Riona's tone betrayed her disbelief.
- Ember nodded. "She got what she wanted: an effective soldier ready to do her bidding. And she gave Imperator Swordshadow what she wanted: a direct report on the Vigil's activities from someone she could trust. Their interests do not conflict. No harm is done." [...]
- There was a long moment of silence then. Dougal broke it. "Swordshadow is part of the truce faction. That's it, isn't it? That's why there is no conflict."
- "I could not say," said Ember. "We did not discuss the matter."
- "Because if it were known that Swordshadow supported it, there would be direct opposition from the other legions," continued Dougal.
- ^ Commander Trinmaw Skullbash
- ^ An Interview with Queen Jennah
- ^ Regrouping with the Queen
- Logan Thackeray: General Soulkeeper came to see me the other day and offered me the position of Pact Marshal.
- Logan Thackeray: I didn't...at first I didn't think it was for me, but my injuries and today...
- Logan Thackeray: Well, my eyes were opened to...my role here.
- Logan Thackeray: Her Majesty has always been the kind of person to do things her own way. It's time I started doing the same.
- ^ Almorra's Stand ambient dialogue
- ^ Pact Vanguard ambient dialogue
- ^ a b Pact Command ambient dialogue
- ^ Bleed
- <Character name>: Aurene! We're going under Kralkatorrik to block a ley line.
- Aurene: I'll be there. Almorra's army is about to attack. They'll keep him occupied while we go below and finish this.
- ^ Guild Wars 2 Living World - Issue 01, GuildWars2.com
- ^ a b A Concert for the Ages
- ^ A Race to Arms
- <Character name>: It can be hard to see bad intentions in the people closest to us.
- Rytlock Brimstone: Ain't that the truth. Look, we can't let this storm steal ground from us. The path will take Bangar past the Vigil encampment. I'll try to reach Almorra—see if she can slow them down.
- ^ Ambient dialogue at Jora's Keep
- ^ The Invitation
- ^ Comment by Eve Eschenbacher, Reddit.com
- ^ Pry the Eye Open Crusader Slep: Now let's find Gorr. As General Soulkeeper says, "you can't kill two birds with one stone until you have a stone in the hand."