is the first story step of Shadow in the Ice
, the second episode of The Icebrood Saga
- Meet with Jhavi at the Vigil Keep.
- Search for Braham west of the Vigil Keep.
- Follow the vision to the west.
- Follow Braham's path west.
- Follow the vision to the west.
- Save Garm.
- Follow Garm.
- Braham Eirsson
- Svanir Brute killed: x/9
- Check in with Braham.
- Enter the Kodan Settlement.
- Check on Rytlock and Crecia.
- Confer with Cloudseeker.
- Free Rytlock and Crecia from their cage.
- Spirits of the Wild
- Jhavi Jorasdottir: Commander. We've got a problem. It's Braham—he's gone.
- <Character name>: Gone?
- Jhavi Jorasdottir: To find Rytlock and Crecia. They haven't checked in for days. I ordered him to stay put, but he wouldn't listen.
- <Character name>: All right. How many Vigil did you send with him?
- Jhavi Jorasdottir: None. We're stretched too thin, and he refused to wait for reinforcements.
- Jhavi Jorasdottir: Ever since that gate opened, he kept saying we had to go west. Wouldn't shut up about it. Things got heated and he stormed off.
- <Character name>: Yeah. What do you think?
- Jhavi Jorasdottir: I think we've lost a lot of norn to the whispers. Norn we trusted.
- <Character name>: I know. But, Jhavi, that's not Braham. I'll meet you at the Vigil Keep.
At Bjora Marches
- Meeting Jhavi at Jora's Keep
- <Character name>: Any news?
- Jhavi Jorasdottir: No. And with everything since Almorra... I don't have any scouts I can send to look for the three of them.
- <Character name>: If Braham was heading west, then I'm heading west. Keep in touch on the comms.
- Jhavi Jorasdottir: I will.
- Searching for Braham
- (A spectral wolf appears on the path to the Raven Pass.)
- If norn:
- <Character name>: It can't be....
- <Character name>: What in the world?
- Jhavi Jorasdottir: See something?
- <Character name>: Maybe. Not sure yet.
- If norn:
- <Character name>: There he is again.
- <Character name>: There it is again.
- Jhavi Jorasdottir: What is it, Commander?
- If norn:
- <Character name>: It's Wolf, he seems to be leading me West.
- <Character name>: Some kind of...presence. A wolf, but...not. It keeps appearing to me the farther west I go.
- Jhavi Jorasdottir: Wolf Spirit. Well, follow him! You said he's leading you west?
- <Character name>: Right to the mountain pass. Where Braham was going. What's on the other side?
- Jhavi Jorasdottir: A frozen lake. Our people know it well. It's where Svanir gave himself to Jormag.
- If norn:
- <Character name>: I know the legend. I'm going through the mountains. Catch up when you can.
- <Character name>: Don't like that. I'm going through the mountains. Catch up when you can.
In the instance
- <Character name>: Garm! Hang on!
- Garm: (bark)
- Clearing the foes
- <Character name>: Garm... Are you hurt?
- Jhavi Jorasdottir: Eir's wolf? What's he doing out there?
- <Character name>: I've got a good guess. Garm, where's Braham?
- Garm: (whines)
- <Character name>: Take me to him. Hurry.
- Garm: (bark)
- Clearing the next set of foes
- <Character name>: Is that... No. More Svanir. Don't slow down—keep going.
- Garm: (bark)
- Finding Braham
- Braham Eirsson: This time maybe you'll stay down!
- <Character name>: Braham!
- Braham Eirsson: Commander!
- Garm: (bark)
- Braham Eirsson: Little help?
- After defeating the Icebrood Menace
- Braham Eirsson: Thanks. Svanir just started pouring out of the forest. Had Garm go call for help.
- <Character name>: How'd you find him all the way out here?
- Braham Eirsson: He found me. Didn't think he was real at first. No idea how he even tracked me down.
- <Character name>: Speaking of tracking down, where are we on Rytlock and Crecia?
- Braham Eirsson: Still missing. But I found something else. The source of the whispers. Jormag's champion.
- Jhavi Jorasdottir: Drakkar. Mouthpiece of the Elder Dragon.
- Braham Eirsson: You've, um...probably got some unfinished business there, huh?
- Jhavi Jorasdottir: Drakkar turned my great-uncle Svanir into a monster that spawned a Jormag-worshipping death cult.
- Braham Eirsson: I didn't forget. There's a kodan village up ahead. Locals are pretty twitchy; they wouldn't let me in.
- Braham Eirsson: Offered to deal with those Svanir—maybe gain a little goodwill.
- <Character name>: Smart. Maybe they can help us find our wayward charr.
- Jhavi Jorasdottir: And if Drakkar is there, then so am I. I'll meet you at that kodan village. Braham, stay put until I get there.
- Braham Eirsson: She won't say it. Not out loud, but I know what she's really thinking.
- Approaching Still Waters Speaking
- Braham Eirsson: Okay, round two.
- Braham Eirsson: We took care of those Svanir for you. Can we get a little gratitude?
- Kodan Guard (1): And who is this?
- <Character name>: I am the Pact commander.
- Kodan Guard (1): The dragon slayer? Here? No...no, this is a trick. You just want me to open the gate.
- Braham Eirsson: Like I said, pretty twitchy.
- <Character name>: We're looking for our compatriots. Two charr. They were scouting this valley.
- Kodan Guard (1): How do you know about—? You're with them, aren't you? Your voice is broken, but I still speak for myself!
- Braham Eirsson:Woah, hey—!
- Kodan Guard (2): Mind your thoughts. Cloudseeker will see these two.
- Entering the village
- Crecia Stoneglow: He wouldn't use Jormag against the Pact. It's a deterrent.
- Rytlock Brimstone: Like when he stole those Iron Legion cannons? Aimed 'em right back at Black Citadel. As a deterrent.
- Crecia Stoneglow: Yes, but I talked him down—that's why we need to find him. He listens to me.
- <Character name>: Crecia. Rytlock. What happened?
- Crecia Stoneglow: They thought we were with Bangar. Weren't about to start killing kodan, so we came peacefully.
- Rytlock Brimstone: Heh. Mostly.
- Cloudseeker: Welcome, dragon slayer. I am Cloudseeker. Claw of Still Waters Speaking. Come, let us talk privately.
- Rytlock Brimstone: Be real nice to wrap up the day outside this cage, Commander.
- Entering Cloudseeker's room
- Cloudseeker: Your charr friends. They can be trusted? Their voices are their own?
- <Character name>: Yes. They've been tracking an army through these mountains.
- (Cloudseeker conjures images of a charr army above the fire.)
- Braham Eirsson: Whoa.
- Cloudseeker: We know of this army. I fear their leader hears a voice that is not his own.
- Cloudseeker: Jormag tempts those who seek power. Whispers guide them to Drakkar. Then they are turned, as Svanir was long ago.
- <Character name>: Drakkar. Jormag's champion.
- Cloudseeker: More than a champion. A mouthpiece. The Elder Dragon cannot whisper beyond its lair without it.
- Braham Eirsson: So: Take out Drakkar, stop the whispers. Maybe Bangar and Ryland come to their senses, too.
- Cloudseeker: Drakkar is protected, and by not any ordinary magic.
- (Cloudseeker conjures images of three Spirits of the Wild above the fire.)
- (These lines do not play for norn characters.)
- Braham Eirsson: Impossible... Ox, Eagle, Wolverine?
- Braham Eirsson: The lost Spirits of the Wild! I thought Jormag killed them. We all did.
- Cloudseeker: Not killed. Taken. Now Drakkar feeds on them—an infinite well of power.
- Kodan Guard(2): My Claw. There is another norn to see you. A leader of the Vigil.
- Braham Eirsson: A friend of ours. Her voice is, uh...also her own.
- Cloudseeker: A norn leading the Vigil?
- Jhavi Jorasdottir: General Soulkeeper has fallen. I'm here to stop that from happening to anyone else.
- <Character name>: What are you thinking?
- Jhavi Jorasdottir: If you can kill an Elder Dragon, then we can kill Drakkar. Every great quarry has a weakness. We just need to find it.
- Jhavi Jorasdottir: I've brought some Vigil scouts, but they won't be enough against the dragon's champion.
- Cloudseeker: My people are in no condition to fight. They falter. Our clan's Voice is gone. Koda no longer speaks to us.
- <Character name>: We don't have a choice here. If Jormag's luring Bangar into a trap, we need to act now.
- Jhavi Jorasdottir: Drakkar corrupted my ancestor. If it turns Bangar and a whole army of charr, that's—
- <Character name>: Not going to happen. Cloudseeker?
- Cloudseeker: If you help my people—shake them free of Jormag's influence...I promise we will help you.
- Cloudseeker: Go, then. Release your friends. Hunt well, and may your voice remain yours.
- Approaching the cage
- Crecia Stoneglow: This is bigger than our cub. He's grown. You need to focus.
- Rytlock Brimstone: What I need is to get our of this damn cage.
- After opening the cage
- Rytlock Brimstone: Ah. Freedom. Hey, snow-face! Gimme back my stuff.
- (Rytlock walks to a pile next to the cage and takes back his confiscated equipment.)
- Crecia Stoneglow: We'll try to pick up Bangar's trail.
- <Character name>: If it looks like he's diverting back to this lake, let me know. This could get a lot worse.
- Rytlock Brimstone: Worse? Lemme tell you about worse. Worse is Bangar getting away. Worse is my son being corrupted by an Elder Dragon.
- Rytlock Brimstone: We're going out there. And we're going to find him.
- Cloudseeker: He wants something. Jormag knows it. Mind his voice, or it won't be his much longer.
- Crecia Stoneglow: The whispers... They're more forceful here. I hope you have a plan.
- <Character name>: Working on it. Stay on the comms and keep in touch. Good luck.
- Speaking with Cloudseeker
- The whispers tell me I should not trust you. Which is exactly why I dare to.
- Where is everybody?
- Cloudseeker: My people have grown...distant to one another. Distant to Koda. Unbalanced.
- Cloudseeker: Some left seeking food. Some to rebuild our defenses. Few have returned. Go—find them. Guide them back to Koda.
- What happened to this village's Voice?
- Cloudseeker: Her name was Ushers-in-Spring. She was our connection to Koda, as all Voices are.
- Cloudseeker: When Drakkar awoke, and the whispers grew louder, she tried to respond. Tried to reason. She listened. And was turned.
- Cloudseeker: It is customary for a Claw to step down without a Voice. But I fear if I do, my people will succumb.
- Cloudseeker: So I linger—a counterweight to keep what little balance remains. I miss her.
- What exactly are the whispers?
- Cloudseeker: They are the ever-present temptation of Jormag. The Elder Dragon speaks to any who might listen.
- Cloudseeker: It is one thing to hear the whispers. It's another to heed them. Remember, Jormag does not take. Jormag turns.
- Cloudseeker: Jormag's truth becomes your truth. If you desire power, Jormag will give it to you. And you give yourself to Jormag.
- Is Drakkar the source of the whispers?
- Cloudseeker: Jormag speaks. But Drakkar is its mouthpiece. The whispers radiate from it, like heat from the sun.
- Cloudseeker: Kill Drakkar, and you stop the whispers. It is as simple as that.
- I must go.
I received an urgent communication from Jhavi: Rytlock and Crecia haven't checked in for days, and Braham stormed off to find them without any Vigil support. I need to head to Jora's Keep in Bjora Marches for a full update.
I found Braham in a forest to the west, accompanied by none other than Garm. No luck yet finding Rytlock and Crecia, but we now know the source of the whispers is here, in this valley: Drakkar. Our next stop is a nearby kodan settlement, hopefully to learn more.
— My story