I'll do you a favor. You can't trust Caithe. She's not the perfect bloom she pretends to be.
Caithe is a sylvari Firstborn of the Cycle of Night, and a member of Destiny's Edge. While most sylvari are creatures of light, Caithe has never feared gazing into darkness to seek truths others fear. A Valiant of the Pale Tree, Caithe was given the Wyld Hunt to slay the Elder Dragon Zhaitan.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Locations
- 3 Story involvement
- 4 Combat abilities
- 5 Dialogue
- 6 Quotes
- 7 Gallery
- 8 See also
- 9 Trivia
- 10 References
When the sylvari race was young, most of the Firstborn stayed in the Grove to tend the Pale Tree, but Caithe and Faolain dared to see the world. Over time, they established a deep bond and became lovers. While exploring Orr, they encountered the Nightmare; Caithe shied away from it, but Faolain embraced it, planting the beginning of a rift that would form between them over time.
The pair returned to the Grove when the Pale Tree had begun producing a new generation of sylvari in greater numbers. The Firstborn had a meeting to discuss these Newly Awakened although each Firstborn had different ideas about how to handle them. When news reached them that the asura had kidnapped some of these Secondborn and taken them deep into Metrica Province to experiment on them, Caithe and Faolain were asked to go investigate the matter as they had traveled the farthest. At this time, Cadeyrn first spoke to Faolain about forming the Nightmare Court, although it was not called that at the time.
Caithe and Faolain rescued the Secondborn that they could, including Canach, from Vorpp although the asura researcher successfully fled their wrath. The pair then headed to the Silverwastes to learn their fellow Firstborn Wynne's secret, which Faolain was obsessing over, and met a centaur tribe Wynne was staying with. An incident began between the centaurs and Faolain, and she and Caithe slaughtered the tribe with help from Cadeyrn and other to-be Nightmare Courtiers. Faolain and Caithe pursued Wynne to a nearby cave, cornering her there and demanding answers. When Wynne remained reluctant to reveal the information she was hiding, Faolain left to gather some needles to torture the answer out of Wynne, making Caithe watch over the fugitive Firstborn. While Faolain was gone, Wynne revealed her secret to Caithe, explaining why no one could ever know the terrifying truth, and asked to be killed so Faolain could not torture the information out of her.
Caithe obliged and stabbed Wynne, holding her sister's lifeless body in her arms and lamenting what she had done. Faolain returned shortly afterwards and believed that Caithe had murdered Wynne without remorse, and Caithe did nothing to dissuade her from the thought. The incident, as well as Faolain's growing interest in the Nightmare, caused a rift between the lovers and made them part ways. However, Faolain was convinced that Caithe's heart was as dark as hers and tried to convince Caithe to join her ever since.
Now carrying Wynne's heavy burden, Caithe adopted her hairstyle and changed her clothing to act as a reminder of the tragedy of the Silverwastes.
Caithe first met with Logan Thackeray and Rytlock Brimstone in Ascalon after the two were fighting each other and were subsequently ambushed by ogres. Having assisted the two escape the ogres, and then Destroyers, the three went to Lion's Arch and were inadvertently imprisoned. Their billets were bought by Magnus the Bloody-Handed, and the three fought as a team in Lion's Arch's arena under the name Edge of Steel. They were eventually recruited by Eir Stegalkin, Snaff, and Zojja to help take down the Dragonspawn.
Upon their success, they formed Destiny's Edge and continued to adventure together, hunting down dragon champions until they attempted to take on the Elder Dragon Kralkatorrik as it awoke in 1320 AE. The battle in the Crystal Desert ended in failure, however, with the deaths of Snaff and Glint. Even after Destiny's Edge's separation, Caithe continued to keep in contact with all four other members and kept searching for ways to fight the Elder Dragons.
During these events, Caithe was hit with a volatile poison. Faolain, now Grand Duchess of the Nightmare Court, tried again to convince Caithe to join with her, but realized that Caithe would rather die than turn. Faolain ultimately drew the poison out of Caithe's body, permanently scarring her hand to save her former lover's life. Still, Caithe refused to go back with her. This would not dissuade Faolain from trying to win her over in the future, however.
In 1325 AE, Caithe saw the three Orders becoming more proactive against the Elder Dragons and decided to reform her old guild in Lion's Arch. However, the issues that had driven them apart were still unresolved, and all parted ways angrily. Caithe continued her efforts, asking both Rytlock and Logan to join her in Twilight Arbor and joining Eir through Sorrow's Embrace until Zojja drove her out. Aiding Eir through Honor of the Waves eventually convinced the former leader to rejoin with Destiny's Edge in Orr, and the other members meet them there.
Accompanied by the Pact Commander and the reunited Destiny's Edge, Caithe joined the Pact aboard the Glory of Tyria in battle against the Elder Dragon Zhaitan. In the skies above Arah she finally completed her Wyld Hunt, witnessing the Elder Dragon fall to its demise.
In 1326 AE, Caithe was invited to the Twilight Arbor by Scarlet Briar, who had struck up an alliance with the Nightmare Court. Scarlet claimed to have learned of some "nasty" indiscretion of Caithe's that not even Faolain knew about, and threatened to reveal it to the world. Caithe was captured by Scarlet, who seemed to have some sort of plan for her, but Scarlet's Clockheart was defeated before this plan could come to fruition. Caithe vowed to hunt down Scarlet, and began tracking her down. Despite this, Caithe never made an appearance when Scarlet Briar launched an open invasion on Lion's Arch.
After the destruction of Lion's Arch and the awakening of the Elder Dragon Mordremoth, Caithe reunited with Destiny's Edge to help the Pact defeat this new threat. When news of Glint's Egg emerged upon finding the Master of Peace, Caithe was immediately interested in the Commander's mission to find the leader of the Zephyrites. Once the Master of Peace was found, he was revealed to be carrying one of Glint's eggs, which Caithe immediately seized and fled with.
The Commander followed Caithe's trail to a remote cave in the Silverwastes with clues provided by the Pale Tree's memory seeds which granted access to Caithe's memories. After witnessing the memory of Caithe learning the secret of the sylvari's origins as minions of Mordremoth, the Commander came face to face with the sylvari thief herself. When questioned, Caithe confirmed the truth about sylvari but refused to hand over the egg while insisting she was on the Commander's side. The conversation was interrupted when the Shadow of the Dragon attacked them in order to seize the egg. While the Commander's party battled the dragon minion, Caithe fled with the egg once again.
|Caithe's journey with the egg continued until she went deep into the Heart of Maguuma. She was spotted a few times by the local populace and Pact survivors before the both the Commander's party and Faolain, whom Mordremoth had transformed into a monstrous creature, caught up with her. During the ensuing battle, Caithe dropped the egg and then later escaped on her own once more while the Commander took the egg to safety in Tarir, the Forgotten City. Caithe witnessed from afar how the city powered up shortly after the egg had been delivered there, and vanished into the jungle.
Caithe met up with the Commander in Dragon's Stand shortly before the rescue of Logan and Zojja. She explained her actions with the egg as a new Wyld Hunt that had driven her too strongly. She joined the battle against corrupted Faolain, having come to terms with killing her after seeing her new abhorrent form. She stayed with the Commander's party afterwards, vowing to defeat the Elder Dragon regardless of the cost to the sylvari race.
Caithe followed the Commander to the heart of Mordremoth's domain where Trahearne was kept in, and offered to join in the final battle in the Dream against Mordremoth, or to remain behind to safeguard the Commander's body. Mordremoth tried to break her spirit by showing her a vision of a Blighted Pale Tree loyal to the dragon's cause, but Caithe ultimately rejected the vision and resolved to fight on, not wanting such a fate come to pass. After Mordremoth's demise, Caithe expressed relief but also concern as their creator's death now left the future of the Pale Tree and the sylvari race open and uncertain.
|In 1329 AE, Caithe visited the Grove to check in on the recovering Pale Tree. She witnessed the Bloodstone explosion in the horizon and hurried to the Bloodstone Fen to investigate what had caused it. She met with the Commander who was also exploring the site and asked the Commander to restore the trust between the two of them. She further elaborated on her erratic actions being the result of Mordremoth's call leaving her uncertain about who to trust with the egg.
She and the Commander pieced together clues about the explosion, the involvement of the White Mantle, and that someone appeared to have been in the center of it to deliberately absorb the released magic for reasons that remained unclear. Troubled by this development, Caithe decided to let the Commander rejoin the rest of the investigating party while she stayed behind at the site to search for more clues.
Some time later, Caithe came to Tarir because she had heard that the egg was about to hatch. She and Marjory Delaqua had to fight off a sudden invasion of Destroyers, however, and only got inside the inner sanctum once the Commander had already defeated the invading dragon minions with the aid of the Luminate and a new would-be ally, the being calling itself Lazarus.
While the Commander and Marjory tried to figure out whether to trust Lazarus who wished to join forces with them in the campaign against the Elder Dragons, Caithe was drawn to Glint's newly hatched scion, the source of her new Wyld Hunt. After the Commander had named the hatchling as Aurene, Caithe pledged herself to watch over the young dragon, and the Commander agreed to her proposition.
|While the Commander traveled to the Crystal Desert in 1330 AE to stop the rogue god Balthazar from killing Kralkatorrik and destroying Tyria in the process, Caithe remained in Tarir to watch over Aurene. However, Aurene began acting more and more aggressively over time, and Caithe and the Luminate discussed the issue with Taimi who had been in contact with the Commander via a remote communication device. They learned that Aurene was reacting to sensing her brother Vlast's death at the hands of Balthazar, and the trio did their best to try to calm the hatchling down. When Aurene sensed that Balthazar was about to kill the Commander, however, she escaped from Tarir and flew to the Crystal Desert while her caretakers could do nothing but watch helplessly as she departed.|
- Chapter 1: Following the Dream
- Fighting the Nightmare
- White Stag path
- Green Huntsman path
- Shield of the Moon path
- Chapter 2: The Teachings of Ventari
- Chapter 3: Justice for Riannoc
- Chapter 4: Order Neophyte
- Chapter 6: The Battle for Claw Island
- Chapter 8: Victory or Death
- Episode 4: The Dragon's Reach: Part 2
- Episode 5: Echoes of the Past
- Episode 6: Tangled Paths
- Episode 7: Seeds of Truth
- Episode 8: Point of No Return
- Episode 1: Out of the Shadows
- Episode 2: Rising Flames
- Episode 3: A Crack in the Ice
- Act III
- The Departing (as a memory)
Mission Exclusive Skills
- Invisible Stalker - You are invisible.
Melee - Dual Daggers:
- Strike - Standard melee attack.
- Backstab - High damage melee attack.
- Leaping Death Blossom - Do an evasive attack over your opponent, striking nearby enemies three times. Each hit causes bleeding.
- Crippling Swipe - Strikes foe, crippling upon hit.
Ranged - Dual Pistols:
- Shoot - Standard ranged projectile.
- Chain Shot - Rapid fire projectiles on one target.
- Whirling Barrage - Melee reflection plus shooting out ranged projectiles in multiple directions.
- If sylvari
- Hello, Valiant. I hope you don't need me. I'm right in the middle of something. Talk to you later?
What are you doing?
- Blending poisons for my blades. I'm no hylek alchemist, but I do fine.
- Interesting. Talk to you later.
- All right. Later.
- If not sylvari
- Hello. Have we met? I don't remember you. I'm distracted at the moment. I'm sure that's why. Perhaps I'll see you some other time.
What are you doing?
- Blending poisons for my blades. I'm no hylek alchemist, but I do fine.
- Interesting. Talk to you later.
- If enabled the Feline Dispersing Emitter in your home instance:
- These cats showed up suddenly, and I don't have the heart to shoo them away. They're easy to take care of, but I do wonder where they came from.
- I definitely have no idea where they could have come from.
- Before completing Hearts and Minds
- Old friend, I hope you see now that we have a common goal. Can we set aside any mistrust that threatened our friendship?
I have a question for you. Why didn't you confide in me?
- My Wyld Hunt nearly suffocated me with the weight of its importance. I was so afraid I'd fail. I felt I could only trust myself. But in the end, the egg didn't choose me, it chose you.
I understand. I don't know why it chose me, but I will do my best.
- You're the bravest of us all. The egg chose well. I don't know when I'll recieve my next Wyld Hunt, but...I am glad that we always end up on the same side.
- As am I.
- After completing Hearts and Minds
- It's impossible to describe the relief I feel, but also the absence. It's suddenly so...quiet. Unexpected, to say the least.
Don't tell me you miss Mordremoth's cacophony in your mind.
- No, I think I just got used to fighting it. It's as if my mind has been cleared of a haze of toxic clouds. The urge is gone.
You're strong. All who resisted are.
- Yes. We're truly free now, even though we didn't know we weren't free before. I just know that I feel unbalanced somehow. I must return to the Grove and speak with the Pale Tree.
- Give her my regards. Travel safely, and I'll see you soon.
- The world is for exploring.
- May you never dwell in darkness.
- Trust your instincts.
- It's good to speak with you.
- Do you have wisdom to share?
- Don't mind me. (Only during Return to Camp Resolve)
- Concept art
- Caithe is voiced by Kari Wahlgren.
- She wears Firstborn armor, sans helm.
- Her Nightmare Court diguise consists of Heritage Bandana, Evergreen Shoulderguards, Nightmare Court Guise, Nightshade Gloves, Evergreen Leggings, and Firstborn Boots.
- In the Seeds of Truth flashbacks, she wears Evergreen pants, chest and gloves, and Nightshade shoulders and boots.
- Concept art of Caithe used to be used for the login screen prior to Heart of Thorns release.
- Characters have a chance to play as Caithe during the Living World Season 2 missions The Newly Awakened, Meeting the Asura, No Refuge, and The Mystery Cave. The skills accessible to the player when transformed as Caithe (available only during Meeting the Asura and No Refuge) are different than the skills that Caithe can be observed as using elsewhere in the game.