I'll do you a favor. You can't trust Caithe. She's not the perfect bloom she pretends to be.
Caithe is a sylvari Firstborn of the Cycle of Night, and a member of Destiny's Edge. While most sylvari are creatures of light, Caithe has never feared gazing into darkness to seek truths others fear. A Valiant of the Pale Tree, Caithe was given the Wyld Hunt to slay the Elder Dragon Zhaitan.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Locations
- 3 Story involvement
- 4 Combat abilities
- 5 Dialogue
- 6 Quotes
- 7 Gallery
- 8 Notes
- 9 Trivia
- 10 See also
- 11 References
When the sylvari race was young, most of the Firstborn stayed in the Grove to tend the Pale Tree, but Caithe and Faolain dared to see the world. Over time, they established a deep bond and became lovers. While exploring Orr, they encountered the Nightmare; Caithe shied away from it, but Faolain embraced it, planting the beginning of a rift that would form between them over time.
|The pair returned to the Grove when the Pale Tree had begun producing a new generation of sylvari in greater numbers. The Firstborn had a meeting to discuss these Newly Awakened although each Firstborn had different ideas about how to handle them. When news reached them that the asura had kidnapped some of these Secondborn and taken them deep into Metrica Province to experiment on them, Caithe and Faolain were asked to go investigate the matter as they had traveled the farthest. At this time, Cadeyrn first spoke to Faolain about forming the Nightmare Court, although it was not called that at the time.
Caithe and Faolain rescued the Secondborn that they could, including Canach, from Vorpp although the asura researcher successfully fled their wrath. The pair then headed to the Silverwastes to learn their fellow Firstborn Wynne's secret, which Faolain was obsessing over, and met a centaur tribe Wynne was staying with. An incident occurred between the centaurs and Faolain, and she and Caithe slaughtered the tribe with help from Cadeyrn and other to-be Nightmare Courtiers.
Faolain and Caithe pursued Wynne to a nearby cave, cornering her there and demanding answers. When Wynne remained reluctant to reveal the information she was hiding, Faolain left to gather some needles to torture the answer out of Wynne, making Caithe watch over the fugitive Firstborn. While Faolain was gone, Wynne revealed her secret to Caithe, explaining why no one could ever know the terrifying truth, and asked to be killed so Faolain could not torture the information out of her.
Caithe obliged and stabbed Wynne, holding her sister's lifeless body in her arms and lamenting what she had done. Faolain returned shortly afterwards and believed that Caithe had murdered Wynne without remorse, and Caithe did nothing to dissuade her from the thought. The incident, as well as Faolain's growing interest in the Nightmare, caused a rift between the lovers and made them part ways. However, Faolain was convinced that Caithe's heart was as dark as hers and tried to convince Caithe to join her ever since.
Now carrying Wynne's heavy burden, Caithe adopted her hairstyle and changed her clothing to act as a reminder of the tragedy of the Silverwastes.
Caithe first met with Logan Thackeray and Rytlock Brimstone in Ascalon after the two were fighting each other and were subsequently ambushed by ogres. Having assisted the two escape the ogres, and then Destroyers, the three went to Lion's Arch and were inadvertently imprisoned. Their billets were bought by Magnus the Bloody-Handed, and the three fought as a team in Lion's Arch's arena under the name Edge of Steel. They were eventually recruited by Eir Stegalkin, Snaff, and Zojja to help take down the Dragonspawn.
Upon their success, they formed Destiny's Edge and continued to adventure together, hunting down dragon champions until they attempted to take on the Elder Dragon Kralkatorrik as it awoke in 1320 AE. The battle in the Crystal Desert ended in failure, however, with the deaths of Snaff and Glint. Even after Destiny's Edge's separation, Caithe continued to keep in contact with all four other members and kept searching for ways to fight the Elder Dragons.
During these events, Caithe was hit with a volatile poison. Faolain, now Grand Duchess of the Nightmare Court, tried again to convince Caithe to join with her, but realized that Caithe would rather die than turn. Faolain ultimately drew the poison out of Caithe's body, permanently scarring her hand to save her former lover's life. Still, Caithe refused to go back with her. This would not dissuade Faolain from trying to win her over in the future, however.
In 1325 AE, Caithe saw the three Orders becoming more proactive against the Elder Dragons and decided to reform her old guild in Lion's Arch. However, the issues that had driven them apart were still unresolved, and all parted ways angrily. Caithe continued her efforts, asking both Rytlock and Logan to join her in Twilight Arbor and joining Eir through Sorrow's Embrace until Zojja drove her out. Aiding Eir through Honor of the Waves eventually convinced the former leader to rejoin with Destiny's Edge in Orr, and the other members meet them there.
Accompanied by the Pact Commander and the reunited Destiny's Edge, Caithe joined the Pact aboard the Glory of Tyria in battle against the Elder Dragon Zhaitan. In the skies above Arah she finally completed her Wyld Hunt, witnessing the Elder Dragon fall to its demise.
In 1326 AE, Caithe was invited to the Twilight Arbor by Scarlet Briar who had struck up an alliance with the Nightmare Court and set up a base for the Aetherblades. Scarlet claimed to have learned of some "nasty" indiscretion of Caithe's that not even Faolain knew about, and threatened to reveal it to the world. Scarlet was not present in the base in person, however; she had instead set up a trap and spread the news to lure Caithe in and capture the Firstborn. Scarlet seemed to have some sort of plan for Caithe, but a party led by the Pact Commander defeated the Clockheart and the Aetherblades and freed Caithe before this plan could come to fruition.
Angered by being deceived, Caithe vowed to hunt down Scarlet and began tracking her. Despite this, she never made an appearance when Scarlet launched an open invasion on Lion's Arch and did not witness Scarlet's fall at the hands of the Commander.
After the destruction of Lion's Arch and the awakening of the Elder Dragon Mordremoth caused by Scarlet's last act, the Elder Dragon's Mordrem minions began appearing in Central Tyria and attacking various locations. The Pale Tree arranged a world summit in the Grove in 1327 AE to discuss the threat with other notable leaders and representatives. Caithe attended the summit as well and ended up defending the Grove from a sudden invasion of the Mordrem alongside other participants while the Pact Commander faced the Shadow of the Dragon. The dragon champion and its minions were ultimately driven off, but the Pale Tree was gravely injured in the attack and fell unconscious. The attack convinced the leaders to shift their focus and resources on helping the Pact take down Mordremoth.
Following the assault on the Grove, Caithe reunited with Destiny's Edge and traveled to Camp Resolve which the Pact was using as a staging ground in the upcoming assault on Mordremoth. She and Canach accompanied a reconnaissance squad deeper into the Silverwastes to investigate Mordrem movements but ended up in trouble when the Mordrem spotted the squad and fought them. Thanks to the assistance provided by the Commander, they discovered a hive swarming with increasing numbers of Mordrem led by the Mordrem Vinewrath before they had to retreat back to Camp Resolve to report their findings.
When news of Glint's Egg emerged upon finding the Master of Peace, Caithe was immediately interested in the Commander's mission to find the leader of the Zephyrites. Once the Master of Peace was found deep within a labyrinthine cave in the Silverwastes, he was revealed to be carrying the egg. After a battle with the Mordrem which left the Master of Peace fatally wounded, Caithe immediately seized and fled with the egg much to the confusion of the Commander's party.
In 1328 AE, the Commander followed Caithe's trail to a remote cave in the Silverwastes with clues provided by the Pale Tree's memory seeds which granted access to Caithe's memories. After witnessing the memory of Caithe learning the secret of the sylvari's origins as minions of Mordremoth, the Commander came face to face with the Firstborn herself. When questioned, Caithe confirmed the truth about sylvari but refused to hand over the egg while insisting she was on the Commander's side. The conversation was interrupted when the Shadow of the Dragon attacked them in order to seize the egg. While the Commander's party battled and defeated the dragon champion, Caithe fled with the egg once again.
Caithe's journey with the egg took her deep into the Heart of Maguuma where the Pact fleet eventually crashed into in Mordremoth's surprise assault. She was spotted a few times by the local populace and Pact survivors before both the Commander's party and Faolain, whom Mordremoth had captured and transformed into a monstrous creature, caught up with her. During the ensuing battle Caithe dropped the egg and then later escaped on her own once more while the Commander took the egg to safety in Tarir, the Forgotten City. Caithe witnessed from afar how the city powered up shortly after the egg had been delivered there, and vanished into the jungle.
Caithe met up with the Commander in Dragon's Stand shortly before the rescue of Logan and Zojja. She explained her actions with the egg as a new Wyld Hunt that had driven her too strongly. Although the Commander's party was initially distrustful of her and confiscated her weapons, Caithe was eventually allowed to join the battle against corrupted Faolain who tried to stop their advance. Seeing her former lover's new, abhorrent form and fall to Mordremoth's influence, Caithe came to terms with killing her. She stayed with the Commander's party afterwards, vowing to defeat the Elder Dragon regardless of the cost to the sylvari race.
Caithe followed the Commander to the heart of Mordremoth's domain where Trahearne was kept in. She offered to join in the final battle in the Dream against Mordremoth or to remain behind to safeguard the Commander's body. Mordremoth tried to break her spirit by showing her a vision of a Blighted Pale Tree loyal to the dragon's cause, but Caithe ultimately rejected the vision and resolved to fight on, not wanting such a fate come to pass. After Mordremoth's demise, Caithe expressed relief but also concern as their creator's death now left the future of the Pale Tree and the sylvari race open and uncertain.
In 1329 AE, Caithe visited the Grove to check in on the recovering Pale Tree. She witnessed the Bloodstone explosion in the horizon and hurried to the Bloodstone Fen to investigate what had caused it. She met with the Commander who was also exploring the site and asked the Commander to restore the trust between the two of them. She further elaborated on her erratic actions being the result of Mordremoth's call leaving her uncertain about who to trust with the egg.
She and the Commander pieced together clues about the explosion, the involvement of the White Mantle, and that someone appeared to have been in the center of it to deliberately absorb the released magic for reasons that remained unclear. Troubled by this development, Caithe decided to let the Commander rejoin the rest of the investigating party while she stayed behind at the site to search for more clues.
Some time later, Caithe came to Tarir because she had heard that the egg was about to hatch. She and Marjory Delaqua had to fight off a sudden invasion of Destroyers, however, and only got inside the inner sanctum once the Commander had already defeated the invading dragon minions there with the aid of the Luminate and a new would-be ally, the being calling itself the mursaat Lazarus.
While the Commander and Marjory tried to figure out whether to trust Lazarus who wished to join forces with them in the campaign against the Elder Dragons, Caithe was drawn to Glint's newly hatched scion, the source of her new Wyld Hunt. After the Commander had named the hatchling Aurene, Caithe pledged herself to watch over the young dragon. The Commander agreed to her proposition: Caithe may have been a lot of things, but she had never been an enemy of the hatchling.
Being prompted by another vision from Aurene sometime later, the Commander visited Tarir again and conversed with the dragon's defenders, including Caithe. The Firstborn explained that life in Tarir had been calm since the Commander's previous visit, and she let the Commander know how much she appreciated being allowed to watch over the rambunctious scion. She also continued pondering about the future of the sylvari. After listening to the Commander's reassuring words, Caithe suggested the Commander go meet with Aurene to begin the trials the Exalted had set up to strengthen the bond between the pair.
While the Pact Commander traveled to the Crystal Desert in 1330 AE to stop the rogue god Balthazar from killing Kralkatorrik and destroying Tyria in the process, Caithe remained in Tarir to watch over Aurene. However, Aurene began acting more and more aggressively over time, and Caithe and the Luminate discussed the issue with Taimi who had been in contact with the Commander via a remote communication device.
They learned that Aurene was reacting to sensing her brother Vlast's death at the hands of Balthazar, and the trio did their best to try to calm the hatchling down. When Aurene sensed that Balthazar was about to kill the Commander, however, she escaped from Tarir and flew to the Crystal Desert while her caretakers could do nothing but watch helplessly as she departed.
After dying in the rogue god Balthazar's ambush, the Commander's soul appeared in the Domain of the Lost where all spirits which experience sudden, violent deaths end up in. While recovering their name and remembering their purpose to be properly judged, the Commander was subjected to fragmented visions of past deeds, including various confrontations with Caithe as the sylvari's memory was briefly visible.
- Chapter 1: Following the Dream
- Fighting the Nightmare
- White Stag path
- Green Huntsman path
- Shield of the Moon path
- Chapter 2: The Teachings of Ventari
- Chapter 3: Justice for Riannoc
- Chapter 4: Order Neophyte
- Chapter 6: The Battle for Claw Island
- Chapter 8: Victory or Death
- Episode 4: The Dragon's Reach: Part 2
- Episode 5: Echoes of the Past
- Episode 6: Tangled Paths
- Episode 7: Seeds of Truth
- Episode 8: Point of No Return
- Episode 1: Out of the Shadows
- Episode 2: Rising Flames
- Episode 3: A Crack in the Ice
- Act III
- The Departing (as a memory)
Mission Exclusive Skills
- Invisible Stalker - You are invisible.
Melee - Dual Daggers:
- Strike - Standard melee attack.
- Backstab - High damage melee attack.
- Leaping Death Blossom - Do an evasive attack over your opponent, striking nearby enemies three times. Each hit causes bleeding.
- Crippling Swipe - Strikes foe, crippling upon hit.
Ranged - Dual Pistols:
- Shoot - Standard ranged projectile.
- Chain Shot - Rapid fire projectiles on one target.
- Whirling Barrage - Melee reflection plus shooting out ranged projectiles in multiple directions.
- If sylvari
- Hello, Valiant. I hope you don't need me. I'm right in the middle of something. Talk to you later?
What are you doing?
- Blending poisons for my blades. I'm no hylek alchemist, but I do fine.
- Interesting. Talk to you later.
- All right. Later.
- If not sylvari
- Hello. Have we met? I don't remember you. I'm distracted at the moment. I'm sure that's why. Perhaps I'll see you some other time.
What are you doing?
- Blending poisons for my blades. I'm no hylek alchemist, but I do fine.
- Interesting. Talk to you later.
- If enabled the Feline Dispersing Emitter in your home instance:
- These cats showed up suddenly, and I don't have the heart to shoo them away. They're easy to take care of, but I do wonder where they came from.
- I definitely have no idea where they could have come from.
- Before completing Hearts and Minds
- Old friend, I hope you see now that we have a common goal. Can we set aside any mistrust that threatened our friendship?
I have a question for you. Why didn't you confide in me?
- My Wyld Hunt nearly suffocated me with the weight of its importance. I was so afraid I'd fail. I felt I could only trust myself. But in the end, the egg didn't choose me, it chose you.
I understand. I don't know why it chose me, but I will do my best.
- You're the bravest of us all. The egg chose well. I don't know when I'll recieve my next Wyld Hunt, but...I am glad that we always end up on the same side.
- As am I.
- After completing Hearts and Minds
- It's impossible to describe the relief I feel, but also the absence. It's suddenly so...quiet. Unexpected, to say the least.
Don't tell me you miss Mordremoth's cacophony in your mind.
- No, I think I just got used to fighting it. It's as if my mind has been cleared of a haze of toxic clouds. The urge is gone.
You're strong. All who resisted are.
- Yes. We're truly free now, even though we didn't know we weren't free before. I just know that I feel unbalanced somehow. I must return to the Grove and speak with the Pale Tree.
- Give her my regards. Travel safely, and I'll see you soon.
- After receiving mail from Caithe after entering Jahai Bluffs or Lion's Arch
- Commander—I'm sure you're curious why I'm here. Truth is, I've felt compelled to keep watch over Aurene for some time now. You're her champion, but I still share a deep connection with her.
Of course—you watched over her for a long time. I'm worried about her.
- When she was younger, she's sometimes go off alone if she was feeling troubled. She'll be ready when we need her. We should make sure we're also ready for her.
How do you mean?
- Glint placed so much hope and faith in Aurene. Her legacy is what we're all counting on. But we know so little about Glint's plans. I'd like to help change that.
The more we know, the better. Where do you plan to start?
- I believe a certain brotherhood knew more about Glint's Legacy than they let on. I intend to find out just how much.
- Sounds like just the place. I'll be in touch.
- Talking to Caithe after the above conversation.
- Forgive me, Commander—I have preparations to make before I head north. We'll speak again soon.
- Good luck.
- The world is for exploring.
- May you never dwell in darkness.
- Trust your instincts.
- It's good to speak with you.
- Do you have wisdom to share?
- Don't mind me. (Only during Return to Camp Resolve)
- Concept art
- Caithe wears Firstborn armor, sans helm.
- Her Nightmare Court disguise consists of Heritage Bandana, Evergreen Shoulderguards, Nightmare Court Guise, Nightshade Gloves, Evergreen Leggings, and Firstborn Boots.
- In the Seeds of Truth flashbacks, she wears Evergreen pants, chest and gloves, and Nightshade shoulders and boots. In addition, she uses a different hairstyle.
- Concept art of Caithe used to be used for the login screen prior to Heart of Thorns release.
- Characters have a chance to play as Caithe during the Living World Season 2 missions The Newly Awakened, Meeting the Asura, No Refuge, and The Mystery Cave. The skills accessible to the player when transformed as Caithe (available only during Meeting the Asura and No Refuge) are different than the skills that Caithe can be observed as using elsewhere in the game.
- Caithe is voiced by Kari Wahlgren.
- Her name may be inspired by caithne which means 'arbutus unedo (strawberry tree)' in Irish.
- Associated items