Darkrime Delves (story)
- 1333 AE
- The Icebrood Saga
- Visions of the Past: Steel and Fire
- Eye of the North
Darkrime Delves Map
Darkrime Delves is the second story step of Visions of the Past: Steel and Fire in The Icebrood Saga. The party leader takes the role of Ryland Steelcatcher and is given a special action key access to his greatsword.
- Go deeper into the vision of the past.
- Go deeper into the vision of the past.
- Accompany Bangar through Darkrime Delves.
- Use your flamesaw to melt the ice wall.
- Find a way to open the gate.
- Find a way to open the second gate.
- Accompany Bangar and Almorra through Darkrime Delves.
- Activate the elevator.
- Use the second elevator to join Bangar.
- Reunite with Bangar and Almorra.
- Get back to Bangar!
- General Almorra Soulkeeper
- Bury Almorra Soulkeeper.
- Reconvene with Aurene
- Reconvene with Aurene
This mission you will see from the perspective of Ryland Steelcatcher. You will have the Unsheathe Flamesaw special action skill, which grants you access to powerful flamesaw bundle with the following skills:
|1||Greatsword Swing||½||Slash your foe.|
|1||Greatsword Slice||½||Slice your foe.|
|1||Brutal Strike||½||Hit your foe with a final brutal strike.|
|2||Blood Flame||1½||10||Rev your flamesaw to its maximum and hold it to foes, inflicting massive damage and conditions.|
Deals immense damage to defiance.
Incredibly effective against ice structures.
Flame Legion is not responsible for bodily harm or structural damage caused by this weapon.
|3||Crashing Flame||¾||10||Leap toward your foe and bring down your blade on them, causing a fiery explosion.|
|4||Burning Tide||½||10||Swing your sword toward opponents, delivering a devastating surge of heat in their direction.|
|5||Blood Rush||10||Charge toward your enemy, pulling foes toward you. Gain fury for each target struck.|
Walk with Bangar through the Darkrime Delves, clearing out the Stone Summit as required. He will prompt the player to open ice walls with Blood Flame skill from the special action weapon, and to operate gates/elevators with levers.
Eventually you'll meet up with Almorra to defeat a Svanir champion on a bridge. You will shortly split up to operate elevator levers for Bangar. Unfortunately Bangar and Almorra argue while you are away.
Finish up the mission by defeating Almorra. The ensuing cinematic sees Bangar heartlessly finish Almorra off.
|Darkrime Delver||Visions of the Past: Steel and Fire||1|
|Complete the Darkrime Delves vision.||Completed the Darkrime Delves Vision||1|
- Complete the mission.
|Return to Darkrime Delves||Return to Steel and Fire||0|
|Complete the story mission Darkrime Delves in Living World Icebrood Saga Visions of the Past: Steel and Fire.
||Completed Darkrime Delves||0|
- Complete the mission.
|Delving for Treasure||Visions of the Past: Steel and Fire||6|
|While journeying through Darkrime Delves in the Scrying Pool's visions, explore to find lost treasures.
||Discovered 3 Hidden Chests||1|
|Discovered 6 Hidden Chests||2|
|Discovered 12 Hidden Chests||3|
- Open all twelve chests - see the red dots on the map above and the Delving for Treasure page for full details.
|Fallen from the Summit||Visions of the Past: Steel and Fire||5|
|Scour the area to retrieve intel on hostile forces in the Forging Steel and Darkrime Delves visions.
||Discovered 8 Hidden Records||5|
- There are three books to find in this instance - see the cyan dots on the map above.
|Heating Up the Delves||Visions of the Past: Steel and Fire||5|
|Defeat the hidden champions in the Darkrime Delves story mission.
||Found and Defeated one Champion in Darkrime Delves||1|
|Found and Defeated two Champions in Darkrime Delves||2|
|Found and Defeated the Champions in Darkrime Delves||2|
- The three Champions are located as follows - see also the green markers on the map above:
- Stone Summit Crusher = At the top of a set of mine cart rails in the first large area.
- Ice Beast = On the bridge south of where you meet up with Almorra.
- Ice Elemental = Behind one of the ice walls, to the right of one of the mandatory ice walls, towards the end of the mission.
|Slaver's Extinction||Visions of the Past: Steel and Fire||16|
|Defeat the hostile inhabitants of the ruins in and around Darkrime Delves.||Defeated 10 Targets||1|
|Defeated 100 Targets||5|
|Defeated 500 Targets||5|
|Defeated 1000 Targets||5|
In Darkrime Delves
- Bangar Ruinbringer
- General Almorra Soulkeeper (turns hostile)
- Ryland Steelcatcher (as player character)
In Eye of the North
- Destroyer Crab (summoned by Stone Summit Ranger)
- Veteran Destroyer Crab (summoned by Veteran Stone Summit Ranger)
- Champion Stone Summit Crusher
- Stone Summit Crusher
- Stone Summit Ranger
- Stone Summit Warder
- Veteran Stone Summit Cannoneer
- Veteran Stone Summit Drake Rider
- Veteran Stone Summit Ranger
- Veteran Stone Summit Warder
- Champion Ice Beast
- Champion Icebrood Goliath
- Corrupted Griffon
- Icebrood Elemental
- Icebrood Goliath
- Icebrood Hunter
- Icebrood Kodan
- Icebrood Quaggan
- Icebrood Troll
- Icebrood Warrior
- Icebrood Wolf
- Icebrood Seer
- Veteran Corrupted Griffon
- Veteran Icebrood Claymore
- Veteran Icebrood Colossus
- Bangar Ruinbringer: You seemed quite comfortable out there. A natural centurion.
- Ryland Steelcatcher: I picked up a thing or two from you.
- Bangar Ruinbringer: You're certainly a much better student than Brimstone. So much wasted potential.
- Ryland Steelcatcher: He doesn't know how to follow orders. From what I've heard.
- Bangar Ruinbringer: Damn right. Times are changing; never know who you can count on these days.
- Bangar Ruinbringer: I need Tribunes at my side who believe in the future I'm building.
- Ryland Steelcatcher: I'll do what it takes to prove myself.
- Bangar Ruinbringer: That's what I like to hear. Not at all like your sire.
One of the following if wandering too far from Bangar:
- Bangar Ruinbringer: Stay as a pack, Ryland.
- Bangar Ruinbringer: Where are you going?
- Bangar Ruinbringer: You lost, Steelcatcher?
- Bangar Ruinbringer: We don't have time for this.
Catching up with Bangar:
- Bangar Ruinbringer: Let's move.
Clearing the first group:
- Bangar Ruinbringer: Sealed up. It'll take something strong to get through this.
- Ryland Steelcatcher: Let me have a crack at it.
Opening the wall:
- Bangar Ruinbringer: A charr-made Sohothin! Better than the real thing.
At the door:
- Bangar Ruinbringer: Get this door open.
- Ryland Steelcatcher: I can get through this.
Opening the door:
- Bangar Ruinbringer: Not bad.
- Ryland Steelcatcher: There's something I want to ask. This Elder Dragon...
- Bangar Ruinbringer: How are we going to tame it? Improvisation. If the commander can do it, it can't be that hard.
- Ryland Steelcatcher: You think the bow will be enough?
- Bangar Ruinbringer: The bow was a rallying cry. The Ice Dragon will know a true champion when it sees one.
- Ryland Steelcatcher: So dragon serves champion? Or does champion serve dragon?
- Bangar Ruinbringer: Jormag will serve me. My charr imperium will reach from the Shiverpeaks to Cantha.
Approaching the next door:
- Veteran Son of Svanir: That charr couldn't have gone very far. Find her!
- Ryland Steelcatcher: Guess we aren't the only ones here. Who are they after?
- Bangar Ruinbringer: I'm wondering that myself.
- Bangar Ruinbringer: Get this gate open.
- Ryland Steelcatcher: Nothing happened. Piece of junk's missing a gear.
- Bangar Ruinbringer: Get the lever fixed so we can move on.
- Ryland Steelcatcher: Bangar's always dangling another opportunity. But if I play my cards right...
- Ryland Steelcatcher: This should work.
Opening the door:
- Bangar Ruinbringer: Surprise, boys.
- Veteran Son of Svanir: There's more of 'em!
- Almorra Soulkeeper: Piss off.
- Almorra Soulkeeper: Bangar! Are there any more of you? The Vigil needs our—
- Bangar Ruinbringer: Almorra...! What are you doing here?
- Almorra Soulkeeper: Svanir bastards kidnapped me and Jhavi. Slaughtered the others.
- Almorra Soulkeeper: They've surrendered to Jormag's whispers.
- Ryland Steelcatcher: "Whispers?"
- Bangar Ruinbringer: The Svanir are norn savages. Troglodytes, nothing more.
- Almorra Soulkeeper: There's no time for this. They still have Jhavi. Help me save the Vigil!
- Ryland Steelcatcher: Hrm...
- Bangar Ruinbringer: Yeah.
- Almorra Soulkeeper: So many lives lost...all because of Jormag's seduction.
- Ryland Steelcatcher: Imperator Ruinbringer has a plan to subdue Jormag. We'll bring the dragon to heel.
- Almorra Soulkeeper: What did you say?
- Bangar Ruinbringer: You heard him. I'm gonna become Jormag's champion. Bend it to my will.
- Almorra Soulkeeper: That's not possible.
- Bangar Ruinbringer: "There's no time for this." You want to save your precious Vigil or not?
- Almorra Soulkeeper: Exit's up there...
Upon finding the bodies near the area Almorra appeared in:
- Ryland Steelcatcher: They underestimated the general.
Reaching the elevator:
- Bangar Ruinbringer: There's no switch here.
- Ryland Steelcatcher: I'll find it.
If trying to raise the elevator when another player is standing on it:
- The elevator is too rickety to lift more than Bangar and Almorra.
- Hey, everybody off the elevator!
Raising the elevator:
- Bangar Ruinbringer: The one up here's broken. Useless dwarves.
- Bangar Ruinbringer: Find another way, Centurion! We'll meet at the exit.
- Almorra Soulkeeper: Bangar, we need to talk.
- Bangar Ruinbringer: What is it this time?
Upon finding a Vigil corpse below the room with the Champion Ice Elemental:
- This Vigil soldier died from a fall, possibly retreating from a threat.
Must have been a terrible beast.
- The wounds have a thin rim of frost on them, as thought the assailant was attacking with ice.
- The attacker might still be here.
- I'll watch my step.
While finding a cog for the elevator:
- Almorra Soulkeeper: What exactly have you been telling him?
- Bangar Ruinbringer: The truth.
- Almorra Soulkeeper: Your truth. The Vigil, the Pact—we aren't the enemy.
- Bangar Ruinbringer: You aren't allies either. Not with that dragon at the commander's disposal.
Raising the elevator again:
- Almorra Soulkeeper: You haven't changed a bit. Always seeing monsters where there are none.
- Bangar Ruinbringer: At least my eyes are open. The war with the humans nearly killed us off. Funny how you all forget that.
- Almorra Soulkeeper: You forget what you did to our son. Poisoned his will with your bottomless hate. How many more will die like Ajax?
- Bangar Ruinbringer: Don't you DARE say his name! He sacrificed himself for the charr while you were off gallivanting with anyone but.
- Almorra Soulkeeper: Kiss my hairy ass.
- Ryland Steelcatcher: This is getting out of hand. I better get over there before they claw each other's eyes out.
Going through an ice wall:
- Almorra Soulkeeper: Your plan is insane. The last thing Tyria needs is another raging Elder Dragon.
- Bangar Ruinbringer: An Elder Dragon on a leash. MY leash.
- Almorra Soulkeeper: You won't listen to reason. I can't let you do this.
- Bangar Ruinbringer: "Can't let me?" You can't stop me.
- Ryland Steelcatcher: More of you... I don't have time for this!
Jumping into the fight:
- Bangar Ruinbringer: Ryland! She's lost her mind.
- Almorra Soulkeeper: Stand down, Ryland.
- Ryland Steelcatcher: I'm sworn to protect my imperator.
- Almorra Soulkeeper: Wrong choice.
During the fight:
- Ryland Steelcatcher: You won't win this.
- Almorra Soulkeeper: I do not yield.
- (The recovered Bangar walks towards Ryland and the downed Almorra. Ryland sheathes his sword and turns to Bangar.)
- Bangar Ruinbringer: You were my fire, my blood.
- Almorra Soulkeeper: I was nothing to you. The only one you care about is Bangar Ruinbringer.
- Bangar Ruinbringer: Everything I've done is for the preservation of the charr!
- Almorra Soulkeeper: You'll be the end of the charr!
- (A brief and tense silence falls as Almorra and Bangar stare at each another. Bangar breaks the silence with a snarl before he composes himself.)
- Bangar Ruinbringer: No reasoning with a gladium who betrays her own kind.
- (Bangar turns to Ryland and presents him with his dagger.)
- Bangar Ruinbringer: She can't be saved.
- Bangar Ruinbringer: Make it quick.
- (Ryland shakes his head in surprise and backs down.)
- Ryland Steelcatcher: Is that the—smartest move? She's a hero to a lot of charr.
- (Bangar lowers the dagger. Almorra observes the exchange before her gaze moves from Ryland to Bangar. Despite her heavy injuries, she uses the last of her strength to stand up while she stares into Bangar's eyes.)
- Almorra Soulkeeper: Another son you've lost.
- (Bangar moves the dagger to his right claw and walks towards Almorra with a snarl. He plunges the dagger into Almorra's heart while Ryland gasps in shock. As Almorra dies, Bangar's anger wanes and he lets the general's corpse fall with a ponderous look in his eyes while Ryland lowers his head. The imperator then composes himself, and a cold look returns to his eyes before he turns to Ryland.)
- Bangar Ruinbringer: You're more like your sire than I thought.
- (Bangar turns and walks away, leaving Ryland to look at Almorra's stabbed body.)
After Bangar stabs Almorra:
- Bangar Ruinbringer: Get rid of the body.
- Ryland Steelcatcher: "Some must fight, so that all may be free."
- (A cutscene plays during which Ryland kneels beside the rubble he has buried Almorra under. He lowers his head in respect while Almorra's sword stands on the foreground as a marker for the grave.)
Eye of the North
Upon returning from the vision:
- Aurene: Bangar's dangerous, as you've seen.
- Aurene: He wants to subdue a dragon. Such hubris.
- Aurene: I still don't know what Jormag's plan is, but Bangar must be stopped.
- Aurene: The imperators are gathering the charr legions to meet Bangar on the battlefield.
- Aurene: Speak with Rytlock. A great conflagration is coming—and I'm afraid my presence would only escalate matters...
- Aurene: I won't be able to fight with you this time, Champion. But I'll be here...and in the Mists...
Upon interacting with Rytlock for the first time:
- Rytlock Brimstone: You had me worried. "Observing a formative moment in the past" or whatever Aurene said.
- Rytlock Brimstone: It was like you were awake and asleep at the same time. Talking to yourself, not making sense.
- Rytlock Brimstone: You kept saying names. Bangar. Almorra.
- Rytlock Brimstone: Anyway, seems like you're back to your old Commandery self.
Upon interacting with Rytlock again:
- One of the following:
- Rytlock Brimstone: The commander wants to talk to me? I'm honored.
- Rytlock Brimstone: Things are kind of a mess right now.
- Ryrlock Brimstone: Commander.
You had something you wanted to tell me?
- Rytlock Brimstone: Yeah. Cre's got some updates from the front lines.
- Rytlock Brimstone: Bangar's forces have trekked pretty far north. He's almost made it to Jormag, and when that happens—well, no one knows.
- Rytlock Brimstone: Crecia's got all the imperators playing nice. For now.
- Rytlock Brimstone: Things will only get worse from here. Bangar's a piece of work, but without him there's a power vacuum.
- Rytlock Brimstone: I know Cre can handle herself, but when the fighting gets ugly, she's gonna need our support.
Ryland was there when Almorra... He...he gave her a proper burial.
- Rytlock Brimstone: Is that what you saw in...
- Rytlock Brimstone: Thanks for letting me know. Bangar's got his claws in Ryland like a damn puppet. But Ryland's not him.
- Rytlock Brimstone: I'm glad that Soulkeeper was a warrior to the end. We didn't always see eye to eye, but she's the truest charr there is.
What happened between you and Bangar?
- Rytlock Brimstone: I used to see Bangar as a mentor. That's what he does: makes you feel like he's the only one who sees your true potential.
- Rytlock Brimstone: The fahrar was...rough.
- Rytlock Brimstone: Serving Bangar, becoming his tribune—thought that'd make it all better.
- Rytlock Brimstone: He used that against me. And now he's doing the same with Ryland.
- Rytlock Brimstone: Ryland didn't go through what I did. I made sure of that. But after Bangar sent me away...
- Rytlock Brimstone: I can't help thinking I coulda stopped all this. If I'd just been there.