You carry with you the blessings of all the gods. Never forget that.
Kormir is the goddess of order, spirit, and truth. She is the newest of the Six Gods, having risen to power in 1075 AE upon the defeat of the fallen god Abaddon. As a relatively new god to the human pantheon, many ancient records will not mention Kormir at all, except for those that have been revised or written after her ascension. In the present day the Church of Kormir worships the Goddess of Truth. The norn refer to Kormir as a Spirit of Action called Knowledge.
In her mortal life, Kormir was the Spearmarshal of the Order of the Sunspears, an organization whose purpose was to protect Elona. During her tenure, she oversaw the release of Palawa Joko; recruited Sunspears from Tyria, Cantha and the Battle Isles; and led Istan into war against Kourna and its ambitious Warmarshal Varesh Ossa. It was during this war that Kormir was captured at Gandara, the Moon Fortress where The Hunger, one of Abaddon's demons, rendered her blind.
After venturing into the Realm of Torment and defeating Abaddon's generals Vizier Khilbron and Shiro Tagachi, the Sunspears turned to the gods for aid in defeating Abaddon. However, the avatars of the gods only gave Kormir a gift, the nature of which was unclear. After his defeat, Abaddon's power threatened to run out of control and bring about Nightfall regardless, which was when Kormir realized the purpose of the gift. She absorbed Abaddon's power, becoming a goddess.
Following her ascension in 1075 AE, Kormir left her mortal companions with comforting words of wisdom and then departed into the Mists. She made her home in Abaddon's former realm, the Realm of Torment, and turned one of the realm's areas into the Sanctum where she intended to gather all knowledge. Word of Kormir's deeds spread, and a new clergy rose to honor her as the Goddess of Truth. She was venerated as the newest member of the Six throughout Cantha, Elona and Tyria. In the Mists, souls afflicted by Abaddon foretold prophecies of Kormir's eventual turn to darkness.
Although Kormir had saved Tyria by absorbing the defeated Abaddon's rampant magic, the event had released magic into Tyria long enough to lead into the latest cycle of Elder Dragon awakenings with Primordus's stirring. Kormir and her fellow gods discussed the matter and realized that a clash between them and the Elder Dragons would lead to Tyria's destruction regardless of the battle's outcome. Balthazar, the God of Fire and War, disagreed with their decision, however, and wished to face the dragons in combat and threatened the other gods if they stood in his way. This disagreement escalated, leading to the gods imprisoning Balthazar deep in the Mists and taking away his divinity before opting to move deeper into the Mists.
Meanwhile, a fragment of Kormir's former human persona lingered on within her, however, and the Goddess of Truth was torn about leaving her homeworld to face the dragons on its own. Before silencing herself, Kormir offered one final gift to the Order of the Sunspears she once led, by blessing the Sunspear Sanctuary with a protection spell activated through lit braziers, allowing those within the sanctuary to remain hidden. After, she resided in the Sanctum, making sure that she and her librarians would record knowledge of all kinds before she would have to follow the gods on their journey. By the time she discovered that Balthazar had escaped the Mists with Rytlock Brimstone's help and begun a campaign to hunt down the Elder Dragons to absorb their power and have his revenge on the gods, the other gods had already left their realms behind.
Kormir witnessed the arrival of members of the Dragon's Watch guild, including Rytlock, Canach, Kasmeer Meade, and the Pact Commander, to her Sanctum in 1330 AE. She welcomed the visitors and listened to their pleas for the gods' help. The goddess explained why Balthazar was on a path of revenge, the reason for the Elder Dragons' most recent cycle of awakening, and why she and the other gods could not interfere in the battles to come for Tyria's sake. She reassured the group that they already had the means to defeat Balthazar, however, and that they should seek answers deeper in the Crystal Desert. After giving a last reassuring reminder to the visitors that they carried within them the blessings of all the gods, Kormir joined her fellow Gods on their journey, leaving the Sanctum and her last ties to Tyria behind.
And so it came to pass that Spearmarshal Kormir, hero of all Elona, was pulled into the inky blackness surrounding the God of Secrets. And though her sight had been robbed, her body wracked, and her spirit flayed, she remained resolute.
And so was she joined within the Realm of Torment by fearless allies and great heroes, who stood at her side as she sought to thwart Nightfall. Together did they battle through Fear, and Anguish, and Madness, until at last they stood before the face of the imprisoned god; he who had challenged the Five and lost; he who threatened to break the chains placed upon him by the other gods; he who now sought to bring Nightfall to the world: the dark god, Abaddon.
And so did Kormir and her allies engage the dark god in titanic battle. And through her power, and their combined skill and bravery, and the blessings of the Five True Gods, did Abaddon at last face his ultimate defeat.
Yet the power of a god cannot be destroyed, and Kormir, making a choice that only a mortal could make, did take upon herself the mantle of the Goddess of Truth, with all its power and responsibility, all its dominion and duties.
And so by mortal hands did a new immortal enter creation.
- Act II
- Goddess of Knowledge and Truth
- Path of Fire: Act 2: Goddess of Secrets — Find Kormir's secret room within the library. (2 )
- Path of Fire: Act 2: Seeker of Truth and Knowledge — Find and read all available books and scrolls in Kormir's library. (16)
- The Desolation: Path of the Gods — Kneel at the statues of each human god. (7)
- Information in
gw.dat(the data file for Guild Wars) suggests that the Realm of Torment was renamed to the Redeemed Realm after Kormir's ascension. However, this never made it into canon.
- Kormir's domain in the Mists is The Sanctum, which is located in the Realm of Torment.
- Kormir's name is uttered by humans in common sayings such as "Kormir's scales,", "Kormir's spear," and "May Kormir judge [one's] words justly".
- Blessing of Kormir
- Blessing of Kormir
- Prayer to Kormir
- Church of Kormir
- Journal of Kormir
- Statue of Kormir
- Temple of Kormir
- Associated items
- Armbrace of Truth
- Book of Secrets
- Eye of Kormir
- Icon of the Goddess
- Kormir Statue
- Mini Goddess Kormir
- Mini Kormeerkat
- Mini Sunspear Kormir
- Visage of Kormir
- ^ Biography: Human
- ^ GuildMag Issue 5: Frigid Times, Issuu.com
- Jeff Grubb: The whole question of gods is based upon culture. The humans have tangible, powerful beings that they can interact with—hence, gods. The spirits of the norn also fit that description, so humans would call these beings "gods" as well. Norn would disagree. And describe the human gods as being "Spirits of Action" of the humans—Balthazar is obviously War, and should be spoken of as such. Kormir is Knowledge and calling her Kormir is a quaint human thing.
- ^ Dragon Festival: Finale
- ^ Mad Soul
- "Kormir. How brave you were to join us in the Realm of Torment. How mad you were to choose to never leave."
- "When you walk dark paths, you open your mind to nightmare. Poor Kormir, poor sad goddess raised up to the stars, cursed to see only infinite blackness between them...."
- "A new god is born! A god that will destroy the others and bring about the end of the world! The cycle begins again!"
- ^ Tormented Soul
- "Kormir whispers beneath the world, through the quiet chambers and the dark corridors of reality. Can you hear her?"
- ^ Legacy
- Koss Dejarin: Then we'd better get this place ready for her. We need to activate Kormir's fire.
- Braham Eirsson: Activate what?
- Koss Dejarin: Her final gift to us. Used her magic to keep the area safe.
- Kossan Dejarin: If my history lesson was correct, lighting these fires will activate Kormir's protection spell.
- ^ a b Comment by Bobby Stein, Reddit.com
- ^ A Society Function
- Lord Benjamin: Kormir's scales! This is the most exciting party I've been to in years. I simply must commend our host.
- ^ Crucible of Eternity
- Agent Spire: Kormir's spear, I knew Kudu was up to some bizarre stuff, but that... that's a new one. Let's try to steer clear of that thing.
- ^ Researcher Elspeth Andryan
- ^ A Society Function
- Logan Thackeray: Treason against the crown and citizens of Kryta. May Kormir judge your words justly, and may Dwayna have mercy on you.