A fahrar, also known as a crèche, is the charr equivalent of school. A year after birth, a charr cub is separated from its parents and sent to the fahrar of their High Legion. Cubs in a fahrar are taught to unify and encouraged to define their own social structure, thus forcing them into a warband. During this time a Primus is largely in charge of their education and upbringing. Fledgling warbands are given a name to claim, from which the cubs will derive one half of their surnames, such as Fierceshot or Doomclaw.
Officially, parents take no particular interest in their cubs after handing them off to the fahrar: a charr's foremost loyalty is to their legion, and their only family is their warband. In truth, however, charr are as inclined towards caring for their young as other races, and many parents will secretly visit the fahrar or send gifts.
- Blood Legion Fahrar in Blood Keep
- Fahrar of Young Heroes in The Black Citadel
- Unnamed fahrar in Smokestead
- Unnamed fahrar in Nolan
- Unnamed fahrar in Deathblade's Watch
- The training regime for young charr is similar to that of young boys in ancient Sparta.
- A crèche is, among other things, a word for a day care center.
- ^ a b The Ecology of the Charr
- ^ The Legions of the Charr: "Take the wretched thing and be done." Despite her words, she held onto her cub for a moment longer, brushing back the fur from his ears and letting the baby tug playfully at her clawed finger.
- ^ A Kindness Repaid: Olmakhan Villager: We Olmakhan raise our own children. Teach them to fish, and hunt; to fight. And to play! You won't find any fahrars here. Only families.
- ^ An Unusual Inheritance
- ^ Deeper and Deeper
- Primus Sparbreaker: Thought they might be parents looking in. Wondering. Happens more than anyone admits.