A Race to Arms
A Race to Arms
- 1332 AE
- The Icebrood Saga
- Prologue: Bound by Blood
- Bitter Horn
Click to enlarge
- Report what you have learned to Crecia.
- Speak with Crecia.
- Meet Rytlock at the entrance to Shiverpeaks Pass.
- Pursue Bangar Ruinbringer into the mountains.
- Join Rytlock and Crecia in Shiverpeaks Pass.
- Trek up the pass and into the Shiverpeaks.
- Push farther into the mountains.
- Wait for Crecia to relight the campfire.
- Defeat the ice elementals.
Elementals defeated:: x/2.
- Brave the weather and follow Bangar's voice.
- Follow Bangar.
- (Defeat the icebrood construct threatening the Blood Keep.)
- Icebrood Construct
- Follow the torches and retreat to the base camp.
Crecia and Rytlock join you at the start of the instance. There are torches which light the path that have a purpose later on. Follow the path to the archway and round to the right. Endure the conversation between Crecia and Rytlock.
Some ice attacks drop from the sky, you can avoid them. When you get to a bridge, the floor disappears and you fall down. Following the path, Crecia and Rytlock talk more and the ice attacks continue to happen.
The big bonfire lights up, two Enraged Ice Elementals spawn, along with a Tiny Ice Elemental. Some ice balls roll around as you fight the elementals. Beyond, it begins to snow. Ice attacks continue to happen. Bangar's speech echoes down the canyon.
You come to a massive door that's already open. Past that there is a large flat icy area. A cinematic plays with Bangar addressing his troops.
When you go towards the wooden bridge, it turns out to be broken, and an Icebrood Construct spawns behind you along with a Tiny Ice Elemental. During the fight, a wave emanates from the construct. There are balls that roll round it and you get swept along with them. Ice attacks continue to happen.
After the fight, you will get a Frostbite debuff which damages you over time. You have to go back the way you came. Standing in the blue circle next to a torch removes the Frostbite debuff and replaces it with the Defrosting buff.
|A Race to Arms||Prologue: Bound by Blood||1|
|Complete A Race To Arms.Journal: A Race to Arms Completed||Completed A Race to Arms||1|
- Complete the story step.
|Too Slippery||Prologue: Bound by Blood||3|
|Defeat the icebrood construct within the time limit.Story Instance: A Race to Arms||Defeated the Icebrood Construct within the Time Limit||3|
- Kill the Icebrood Construct within 2 minutes 30 seconds.
- Achievement qualification may be tracked via the Achievement Eligibility: Too Slippery effect.
|Untouchable||Prologue: Bound by Blood||3|
|Defeat the icebrood construct without being struck by any spiral ice bombs.Story Instance: A Race to Arms||Defeated the Icebrood Construct without Being Struck by Any Spiral Ice Bombs||3|
- Avoid being hit by the Spiral Ice Bombs - engaging the construct in melee range will improve the odds of getting this achievement as they are created in a large swirling pattern around the boss at about 1000 unit range.
- Achievement qualification may be tracked via the Achievement Eligibility: Untouchable effect.
|Flash Freeze||Prologue: Bound by Blood||3|
|Escape Bitter Horn within the time limit.Story Instance: A Race to Arms||Escaped Bitter Horn within the Time Limit||3|
- Your character will receive the Hypothermia effect which can be alleviated by standing next to a flaming torch.
- Being downed will cause your character to lose eligibility for this achievement.
- Movement speed and teleportation skills will make this achievement much easier - consider adding these skills prior to engaging the icebrood construct. Once the fight starts, you'll be unable to change your skills until after the fight and you are able to get near some torches to apply Defrosting which will temporarily remove Frostbite. The Hypothermia effect also disables mounts during the story step.
- Perhaps the easier way to obtain the achievement is to use gliding. Once the fight with the construct has ended, approach the ledge to the west of the path you came from. Once the Frostbite kicks in, quickly glide down to the closest torch, and wait until your health has mostly refilled. From there quickly rush to the bonfire via movement skills.
- Achievement qualification may be tracked via the Achievement Eligibility: Flash Freeze effect.
|Return to A Race to Arms||Return to Bound by Blood||0|
|Complete the story mission A Race to Arms in Living World Icebrood Saga Prologue.
||Completed A Race to Arms||0|
- Complete the story step.
- Bangar Ruinbringer
- Crecia Stoneglow
- Efram Greetsglory
- Malice Swordshadow
- Ryland Steelcatcher
- Rytlock Brimstone
- Smodur the Unflinching
- When passing All-Legions Commons
- Rytlock Brimstone: Gorrik safe?
- If asura, sylvari, or ???:
- <Character name>: Yes. Rytlock, I think I know where Ryland is. And I think he's—
- Otherwise: [verification requested]
- <Character name>: Yeah. Rytlock, I know where Ryland is. And I think he's—
- Marjory Delaqua: Commander, Ruinbringer is on the move. Malice's spies say he slipped away, headed for the mountains west of the Blood Keep.
- Marjory Delaqua: Looks like several dozen warbands have done the same.
- Rytlock Brimstone: Several dozen?
- Marjory Delaqua: Across legions. All heavily armed. Rytlock's son is with them.
- Rytlock Brimstone: WHAT?
- <Character name>: It gets worse. They're working with the Renegades. I'm on my way to tell Crecia.
- Marjory Delaqua: She's gone too—went after Bangar, and she looked worried. You can probably catch her if you hurry.
- Rytlock Brimstone: I'll meet you at the gateway to the pass, Commander.
- <Character name>: On my way. Jory, round up Braham and the other imperators. I'll let you know where to meet us.
- Meeting Rytlock at Shiverpeaks Pass entrance
- Rytlock Brimstone: It's more than just words now, Cre. He put the Renegades into play.
- Rytlock Brimstone: They're pushing this hate for other races. Building support for something big.
- <Character name>: Did Bangar tell you where he was going?
- Crecia Stoneglow: He's still our imperator. I'm not comfortable with a bunch of armed fighters chasing after him—
- Rytlock Brimstone: Well, that's a no.
- Crecia Stoneglow: He said he was holding a rally for his closest supporters. Ryland...
- <Character name>: Can I at least assume stopping your cub is something you can both agree on?
- Rytlock Brimstone: Come on, Cre...
- Crecia Stoneglow: Let's go.
- When approaching Rytlock and Crecia
- Crecia Stoneglow: Serious storm blowing in. They don't usually come down this far from the mountains.
- Rytlock Brimstone: The cold's only going to slow us down.
- When approaching the pass entrance
- <Character name>: Any idea where Bangar might be headed?
- Crecia Stoneglow: This pass just leads up into the Shiverpeaks. Vigil supply route.
- Rytlock Brimstone: Now you know how it feels.
- Crecia Stoneglow: What?
- Rytlock Brimstone: Getting cut out. Axed from his circle of trust. Just like that.
- Rytlock Brimstone: What did you do? What did you say?
- Crecia Stoneglow: I don't know.
- After approaching the first curve
- Rytlock Brimstone: Most loyal supporters, my ass. Most suicidal more like.
- <Character name>: Not just Blood Legion either. Warbands from Ash, Iron, Flame—
- Rytlock Brimstone: Always had charisma. I'll give him that.
- After reaching the first story checkpoint
- Rytlock Brimstone: That doesn't sound good...
- Crecia Stoneglow: Look out!
- <Character name>: Everyone okay?
- Rytlock Brimstone: Yeah, must've been the weight of all that snow.
- Crecia Stoneglow: Keep moving.
- After exiting the cave
- Rytlock Brimstone: Are those...elementals trapped in the ice?
- Crecia Stoneglow: They used to come down from the mountains sometimes. When we were still in the fahrar...
- Rytlock Brimstone: I remember.
- Crecia Stoneglow: Just like old times.
- Upon approaching an unlit campfire
- <Character name>: Coals are still warm. Bangar's followers must've staged here before heading further up.
- <Character name>: Jory, can you hear me? We're heading up the canyon. How far are you behind us?
- Marjory Delaqua: Commander? (static)—idn't understand (static). Where (static)?
- Rytlock Brimstone: Interference from the storm.
- Rytlock Brimstone: We should get this fire going. Signal out location to the others.
- Crecia Stoneglow: I'll do it, but be ready. I can feel the elementals. They've already started to thaw...
- Rytlock Brimstone: Form up!
- After defeating the ice elementals
- Bangar Ruinbringer: Whatever your legion, you're charr first.
- Rytlock Brimstone: Bangar.
- Crecia Stoneglow: We're getting closer.
- Bangar Ruinbringer: You're the chosen few. The ones brave enough to see the truth of where we stand today.
- Rytlock Brimstone: The hell was that?
- Crecia Stoneglow: Sounded like Iron Legion Explosives. Come on.
- While moving up the pass
- Bangar Ruinbringer: We've been held down too long. Declawed. Defanged. Made weak.
- Bangar Ruinbringer: And what do my fellow imperators do? Nothing. And our enemies grow stronger.
- Bangar Ruinbringer: Who can we count on to put our people first? Only us. Only charr.
- Bangar Ruinbringer: That's why I'm calling for a new day. To raise up our kind.
- After entering the Bitter Horn
- Bangar Ruinbringer: There's a whole world out there that wants to keep us down. And you know what they have on their side? An Elder Dragon.
- Rytlock Brimstone: There's Ryland!
- <Character name>: And Braham's bow.
- Bangar Ruinbringer: I know this much: let 'em hold the upper hand, sooner or later they'll play it. You willing to let that happen?
- Bangar Ruinbringer: You want someone else to dictate our future?
- Bangar Ruinbringer: Then it's time to even the odds.
- Bangar Ruinbringer: Let's go get ourselves a dragon!
- (The warbands cheer.)
- Rytlock Brimstone: RYLAND!
- Crecia Stoneglow: He can't hear you.
- When approaching the bridge
- Crecia Stoneglow: They blew the bridge.
- Rytlock Brimstone: Can't lose them.
- Crecia Stoneglow: Wait. I... I feel—
- <Character name>: Behind us! Elemental?
- Crecia Stoneglow: That's—that's an ice construct.
- Rytlock Brimstone: Who cares—we gotta go after Ryland! And Bangar.
- Crecia Stoneglow: Rytlock, if that thing gets down to the keep and the fahrar...
- Rytlock Brimstone: Damn it!
- Upon defeating the Icebrood Construct
- Rytlock Brimstone: We have to keep going. Have to catch them. Stop them.
- <Character name>: The cold's getting worse. We need to get out of here.
- Arriving back at the signal fire
- Marjory Delaqua: Commander! We found your signal fire. Where's Bangar?
- Rytlock Brimstone: Took his followers deeper into the Shiverpeaks.
- Rytlock Brimstone: With your bow.
- Braham Eirsson: What? No... Ryland tricked me?
- Rytlock Brimstone: He's not himself. He's being played. Just like the rest of them.
- <Character name>: He said he was going after a dragon. We need to find Aurene. Warn her—
- Crecia Stoneglow: Not Aurene.
- Braham Eirsson: You gotta be kidding me. He thinks he can...?
- Crecia Stoneglow: "Even the odds..."
- <Character name>: Bangar wants his own Elder Dragon.
- Braham Eirsson: That's a suicide mission.
- Smodur the Unflinching: Knew he was up to something. Never thought he'd use the party to poach our soldiers, though.
- Malice Swordshadow: Renegades have been working that angle for a while. On Bangar's orders, apparently.
- Crecia Stoneglow: I should've seen it. He just needed all the legions in the same place at the same time. Efram...
- Efram Greetsglory: No one's blaming you. If he's really going after Jormag...
- <Character name>: Soon as we find a way through the storm, we'll pick up the trail. And if Bangar can't be reasoned with, maybe Ryland can.
- Rytlock Brimstone: Ryland...
- <Character name>: We'll get him back, Rytlock. I promise.
- Speaking with your allies
- Rytlock Brimstone: Knew Bangar had a problem with me. But Crecia? It's not like him to leave her behind.
I think Crecia would agree. Something feels off.
- We can't underestimate Bangar, Commander. He's had wild ideas before, and they've worked. He's built a military career out of it.
You think he could succeed in harnessing Jormag's power?
- You kidding? He's bitten off way more than he can chew—but he's not above forcing others to swallow it.
That's a dangerous way of thinking.
- You heard him—this is an arms race and he's feeling like a cornered animal.
We don't need Bangar as an enemy.
- You can't choose who your enemies are, Commander. If it's a fight Bangar wants...
- You're getting ahead of yourself. Don't do anything too rash.
She still has a soft spot for you, even if she doesn't want to take sides.
- Did Cre forget how Bangar twists you in knots for his purposes? I can't believe she doesn't remember what that felt like. And he's even worse now. Couldn't she see what he was doing to our cub?
- centurion. Maybe he's more grown-up than you think.
- He's only a few years out of the fahrar. Doesn't have any idea what he's following Bangar into.
- We're going after them. Worrying yourself sick won't get us there faster.
- It can be hard to see bad intentions in the people closest to us.
- Crecia Stoneglow: Constructs don't create themselves, powerful shamans do. And Flame Legion doesn't work with ice. There's more going on here than we know. We'll need to proceed carefully even once the storm passes.
You think Bangar's working with someone besides the Renegades?
- That's not what I said. When we find Bangar, I'll get a straight answer. There's been too much speculation already.
After all you've heard, you still think Bangar's innocent?
- I think he's been a legion imperator for longer than either of us has been alive. He's always done what he thought best for us. And we've prospered. That's a fact.
He's leading a band of Renegades. That's also a fact.
- Could be that the Renegades have fed him faulty intel. I need answers—but he's my imperator. That's not in question.
Maybe he's not the leader you thought he was.
- Doesn't make him a villain.
- Whatever you say.
You're coming with us?
- They're attempting a dangerous mission. And it's my responsibility to see to the security of my legion and this region. Another dragon walking around Tyria is definitely a threat to all of that.
- I agree.
You must be concerned about your cub.
- Ryland might be young, but he's no cub. He's a strong leader with a mind for strategy and a good head on his shoulders. There's an explanation for all of this—we just need to talk with them.
- If he's going to listen to anybody, it's you.
What about the rest of your legion? What are you going to tell them?
- Only what they need to know: their orders. I'm next in the chain of command, and I need it to remain business as usual around here.
The Renegades are pretty much undermining that as we speak.
- I'll confer with Malice and Smodur about our next steps.
- With Flame cubs in my fahrar and his people still needing sanctuary, he's got a stake in securing Blood Legion Homelands. I trust him to know true charr values from dirty hate-mongering.
- You may be right.
- Braham Eirsson: Stupid, stupid. That bow is my responsibility, and I delivered it right to them. Was it the only reason Ryland was talking to me?
Don't worry, Braham. We'll get the bow back, too.
- He knows I used it to crack the fang of the Serpent. Wonder if Bangar thinks they can intimidate Jormag into cooperating...
He wouldn't be the first to try to take Jormag's power for his own.
- Yeah. The Sons of Svanir have been channeling Jormag's power for a long time. But it comes at a cost. Jormag isn't some tool. Or a pet.
Neither's Aurene—which I told Bangar. Repeatedly.
- You gotta know your bond with Aurene is some kind of miracle. Bangar saw that.
- And now he wants it for himself. Great.
You're not the worst judge of character. What do you think?
- Honestly? He seemed like a good guy—like he was having as much fun as I was. We have a lot in common.
- your mother were good friends.
- Yeah. I thought we could be, too.
- Don't be too hard on yourself.
Forget about Ryland. We still need you. What can you tell me about Jormag?
- My guild and I...we tried to take back the norn homelands. Thought my bow would be able to take Jormag down, but I never got the chance. I failed them.
Where's your guild now?
- I left them back in the Shiverpeaks at the nearest Vigil camp. They weren't happy with me.
We're headed up that way. Maybe your guild can help us track Bangar.
- I'm sure its not as bad as you're making it sound.
- Marjory Delaqua: This is bigger than just some charr politics. There are vendors here from all over. Word will spread. An imperator leading Renegades? That's just fuel for the Separatists' fire.
Guess it's too much to hope the snow will slow down the gossip.
- Optimism, Commander? Kasmeer can debrief Logan on what's happened here. He'll be able to keep the more volatile human factions calm while we go after Bangar.
See if she can get him and Malice to share information with each other.
- Might be a tough sell, but will do. We're going to have to work together again, humans and charr and everyone else, to make sure this powder keg doesn't explode.
- I agree.
- Malice Swordshadow: As I said, Kralkatorrik's death left a void to be filled by fear of the next threat. Bangar was enough of a strategist to take advantage of that fear.
Where will you send your spies now?
- We need intel on how long Bangar's had this relationship with the Renegades. And how far-reaching his plans are.
So you don't know what we can expect next either?
- I know this kind of unrest opens a power vacuum. Some have been known to press that kind of advantage.
- Smodur. Right. Let's keep an eye on things.
What do you suggest we do about that?
- Step lightly until we can be sure to avoid the landmines Bangar and his Renegades have planted.
What are the odds that he's left saboteurs and sleeper agents behind?
- Pretty high. Ferreting them out of all legion ranks must be a priority. And how Crecia responds may determine the future of the charr.
She was Bangar's head of security...can we still trust her?
- Crecia's just as stubborn as every high-ranking Blood officer, but with more intelligence than most. Now that her eyes have been forced open, I think she'll make the right calls.
- I hope so.
- Smodur the Unflinching: Don't worry, Commander. I have experience putting down Renegades. Don't see why Bangar and his rabble of traitors should be any different.
No doubt. But, Imperator, maybe you should keep a foot in the homelands...
- Yes, yes, you're right. It's time to reassert command and get ahead of the message here. Despite Bangar's determination to prove otherwise, charr engineer more than just war.
- Let's try to keep it that way.
- Ebonhawke treaty back?
Will Bangar's hand in this Renegade rebirth set the
- Deals I broker don't fail. I'll do what I've always done: mitigate Bangar's mess and prepare for the future.
- Right. The future.
He's stoked fears and hatred. It'll take finesse to undo his handiwork.
- I'm aware. Bangar's shortsighted, rarely thinks beyond the battle. But he's reminded me never to underestimate a field veteran. It won't happen again.
- Bangar fooled us all. No one saw this coming—not even Crecia.
- Efram Greetsglory: Didn't think penance would be easy...but I never expected this.
No one would blame you if you took your cubs and left.
- We don't run from a fight. One thing Bangar got right: charr are stronger when we come together. I meant what I said to Crecia. It's long past time for the Flame Legion to rejoin the fold.
- Good luck.
Looked like some Flame were spoiling for battle—they flocked to Bangar.
- Being a refugee is hard. It's swallowing pride, constant disrespect. They missed being seen as equals. And yeah, they missed the fight—that's our nature. But they chose the wrong side.
I can't see how the side awakening Jormag could ever look like a winner.
- Ice Dragon or no, hate's a hard habit to break. Mark my words, there's a fight ahead, no matter what. I can't let this kind of ideology grow roots in my legion again. I won't.
- Good to know.
So, what will you do?
- Far as I'm concerned, the truce still holds. I'll stay here, lend Crecia a hand where I can. This isn't the time to hide or be silent. It's time to be decisive.
Glad you're sticking around.
- Word of advice? Hate's not a one-legion problem. It spreads, quiet and quick. Starts to seem reasonable to otherwise rational minds. Like an infection.
- Infections can be cured.
ONE SOLUTION was as the NPCs talk at the end - run to the edge until you get the warning sign that you will be kicked, then come back just a bit and run to the edge again, repeat until end and it should work. https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/61845-bug-a-race-to-arms-bound-by-blood-story-mission-dc-at-ending/