Drakkar is one of Jormag's oldest champions, originally seen frozen beneath the surface of Drakkar Lake. Despite being immobile and frozen, Drakkar was awake beneath the ice and was able to channel Jormag's power and abilities to whisper into the minds of those nearby.
While the norn siblings Svanir and Jora were hunting wolves in 1078 AE, their prey ran across Drakkar Lake. As they crossed the lake, the siblings paused, feeling an ancient, and bitter cold, power in the area. Svanir performed a simple spell to reveal the nature of the power they felt, which drew Drakkar's attention, and sent Jormag's power into them. Jora resisted the power, and was in turn cursed, incapable of Becoming the Bear, while Svanir accepted the power and was transformed into the Nornbear and a new champion of Jormag.
It is unclear if Drakkar was conscious before Svanir's spell, but in the weeks following Svanir's corruption, the lake turned from a empty, barren place to being full of Frozen Elementals and Chilling Wisps, and Myish, Lady of the Lake, patrolling directly over Drakkar's head.
In the century after Svanir's death, other norn were drawn to Drakkar through promises of strength and power, over time forming the Sons of Svanir. Drakkar used these norn to draw power and help Jormag awaken, allowing the Elder Ice Dragon to rise from its hibernation in 1165 AE.
Drakkar has not been heard of since Jormag's awakening.
- Concept art
Drakkar as seen in the original Guild Wars.
- In early development of Guild Wars: Eye of the North and Guild Wars 2, the creature beneath Drakkar Lake was intended to be Jormag. This was changed mid-development as the creature was believed too small to be an Elder Dragon, and was changed to being Jormag's dragon champion.
- Jeff Grubb has also used the name Drakkar Beast when referring to the champion.
- An early concept art was introduced during the The Icebrood Saga announcement, with notes that the appearance presented is not final.
- ^ a b Jora's Curse
- ^ a b "Chapter 18: The Calm Before", Edge of Destiny by J. Robert King:
- "Two hundred fifty years ago, a hunter named Svanir and his sister Jora led a band of norn to slay the wolves that ruled Drakkar Lake. They were crossing the frozen waters when a strange presence grasped Svanir's mind. It whispered seductions to him, promised power and prey. It was a voice of infinite hunger and hate, and Svanir listened to it.
- "Jora heard the voice, too, but it terrified her. She refused its dark gifts and tried to drag her brother away, but he struck her and told her she was weak, told her he had discovered the well of power. She fled.
- "Svanir remained to commune with his newfound lord. In time, the voice began to change him. It taught him to hate all living things. It stripped him of his human form and made him a champion—half bear, half norn, encrusted with ice. Svanir wandered the wastes in madness, attacking any who came near. He became a monster that his own sister had to destroy.
- "Over the next hundred fifty years, the voice seduced more norn, and they joined the cult, becoming the Sons of Svanir. They believed they were drawing upon the ancient voice, but in fact it was drawing upon them, gaining the power to rise.
- "And it did rise. One of the Elder Dragons. Jormag was its name.
- "We fought Jormag—gladly we fought it, for norn are made for battle. But never had we fought a beast like this. It was a living blizzard. It and its minions froze us where we fought and buried our lands in snow and ice and tore apart Gunnar's Hold with a massive glacier. It took our lands. It drove us south.
- "And despite the destruction, there are still foolish norn who hear the call of Svanir and seek the power of Jormag. In the end they are reduced to icebrood themselves, flesh wrapped in ice, fed by malevolence and hatred."
- ^ Drakkar Lake
- ^ a b c Stéphane Lo Presti and Jeff Grubb, Guild Wars 2 Guru; links broke - image of posts:    
- ^ The Icebrood Saga announcement, Twitch.tv