12 17 5
The Imperator's Core.
Built upon the ruins of the human city of Rin, the Black Citadel is the headquarters of the charr legions in Ascalon. Commanded by Smodur the Unflinching, Imperator of the Iron Legion, the great city is dominated by the huge metal-shod sphere at its center.
— In-game description
The Black Citadel is a zone in the Ascalon region and the capital city of charr. It is the headquarters of the Iron Legion and is built upon the ruins of Rin in Ascalon; it is the charr capital closest to the homelands of the other races in the game. The citadel is where the Iron Legion tests and manufactures items for the other legions and associated allies, including tanks, vehicles, and various types of armament. The city's arena, The Bane, sits near the center, in the shadow of the Imperator's Core where the citadel's leadership offices are.
The city itself is governed by a set of pragmatic laws, which keeps it running like clockwork. These are enforced by the ever vigilant and efficient Adamant Guard.
4 Points of Interest that appear on the map to be within the Imperator's Core and one that appears to be outside the Imperator's Core are actually within instances accessible through the Imperator's Core:
|Great Imperial Smelter||
|Hero's Canton (home instance)|
|Iron Legion Arsenal|
|Nolani Academy Ruins||
|Ruins of Rin||
|The Command Core (instance)|
|War Wagon Prep Deck||—|
- Ruins of Rin (southwest corner of the ruins)
- Ligacus Notos (south of the vista on the lake's west bank, on land; follow the path)
- Concept art
Tixx's Infinirarium over the Black Citadel during Wintersday 2012.
- Unlike other multilevel capital cities, all levels are merged onto a single map screen and not displayed as separate levels.
- Old concept art and trailers revealed a much larger and detailed city than the one currently presented in game.
- There is an old Halloween area in the north west corner of the city from Blood and Madness. It used to be that the map could be broken out of and reentered it by relogging under it. The bug was fixed in a bug fix introduced in autumn 2017.