Expansions, short for expansion packs, are paid content upgrades for Guild Wars 2. They introduce new content only available for those who purchase it, including zones, masteries, and elite specializations. They work as standalone products, so you can buy them separately, without needing to own the previous installments to activate the latest release.
Purchase of expansions also provides access to the current Living World content, through which further instances and zones are periodically added to the game. Previous Living World episodes (excluding Season 1) can be purchased for play at any time through the Gem Store.
List of expansions
This is a list of all major releases: the core game, expansions and Living World seasons, ordered by their respective release dates as well as the story order.
- Guild Wars 2 — the core game, released August 28, 2012. Free-to-play since August 29, 2015.
- Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns — first expansion pack, released October 23, 2015.
- Living World Season 3 — began July 26, 2016, concluded on July 25, 2017.
- Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire — second expansion pack, released September 22, 2017.
- Living World — for the seasonal downloadable content.
- Release — for the complete list of game updates.
- Various account upgrades: