Gullik Oddsson is a norn of renown known for various deeds across Central Tyria. He is most known for assisting Dougal Keane and Ember Doomforge in retrieving the Claw of the Khan-Ur from Ascalon City, beginning the Ebonhawke Treaty ceasefire. He is the cousin of Gyda Oddsdottir, who died in the Tomb of Blimm while adventuring with Dougal, Killeen, and Clagg.
Only sparse details are known about Gullik's life before 1324 AE. By that point, he was well known for having participated in the Battle of the Burning Pass, killing a mad grawl with his bare hands as a child, single-handedly defeating a score of destroyers in dwarf mines in Dredgehaunt Cliffs, and stormed the Watery Gravestone, killed its captain, and terrorized the Sea of Sorrows after taking command.
He met Killeen in Caledon Forest after being injured while hunting the cats near the ruins for their hides.
Ghosts of Ascalon
After hearing about the death of his cousin Gyda, Gullik got drunk and confronted the asura Clagg who had hired Gyda, who in turn directed Gullik to Dougal Keane. Gullik ambushed Dougal in the middle of the night at the Vigil Centerhouse in revenge for Dougal not sharing the story of Gyda's death. After passing out from a brief fight with the Vigil, Gullik was arrested by the Vigil and brought to General Almorra Soulkeeper, who explained Dougal's mission to recover the Claw of the Khan-Ur from Ascalon City Ruins with the intention of offering his freedom in return for his assistance in the mission. Before she could make the offer, Gullik wholeheartedly volunteered to join the mission in hopes of amending the misunderstanding caused from his drunkenness, as well as because he had grown bored of Kryta.
During the travels, he had grown close to the asura Kranxx and the others on the journey. After reaching Ascalon City, Gullik was swarmed by the Foefire ghosts, and to assist the norn Kranxx threw a grenade intending to clear out the ghosts but the explosion was far greater than expected and when the flames cleared nothing remained. This prompted Kranxx to sacrifice himself by using the Golem's Eye guardian to slam into King Adelbern with enough force to prevent the ghost from reforming long enough for the rest to retrieve the Claw of the Khan-Ur and escape. After the others had retrieved the Claw, Gullik climbed out of the rubble covered completely in his own blood but still hearty. After hearing of what happened while unconscious, he prompted that since they were there, it would be best to take more treasures than just the Claw of the Khan-Ur while the ghosts were still reforming.
- Fields of Ruin
- Secluded Glen (occasional appearance)
- Are you here to pay your respects?
Who are you?
- My name is Gullik Oddsson. My legend is known among the norn. I come here often.
- Greetings, Gullik. Whose grave is this?
- The only legend I care about is my own. Good-bye.
Whose grave is this?
- Her name was Killeen. She was a sylvari of the night cycle, but she was the brightest light my eyes have ever seen.
What happened to her?
- She and I, along with a human named Dougal Keane, a charr known as Ember Doomforge, and an asura called Kranxx tried to cross the Brand. Killeen...didn't survive. I've missed her every day since.
I'll pay my respects with you.
- I'd like that, friend. And I think she would as well.
- You stand quietly with the norn at the foot of Killeen's memorial. After a minute, you depart in a respectful silence.
- I'm sorry for your loss. Good-bye.
- Sounds personal. I'll just be going.
- He wields two Norn Axes.
- ^ "Chapter 14", Ghosts of Ascalon by Matt Forbeck and Jeff Grubb:
- "Wolf's nose!" Gullik said. "This smells worse than the latrines I had to muck out as a young warrior in the Battle of the Burning Pass."
- ^ "Chapter 10", Ghosts of Ascalon by Matt Forbeck and Jeff Grubb:
- "Who is he?" Dougal asked as he pulled himself to his feet.
- "Gullik Oddsson," Killen said.
- Doomforge whistled at this, a strange, low note that emerged not from her lips but her teeth. "The Oddsson? I heard he single-handedly defeated a score of destroyers in the old dwarf mines beneath the Dredgehaunt Cliffs."
- Riona blew out a long breath. "He's supposed to have stormed aboard the schooner Watery Gravestone, slaughtered Captain Deadbeard, and then taken command of the ship to terrorize the Sea of Sirens."
- "Gyda told me he slew a mad grawl with his bare hands when he was only a child, no taller than me," said Killeen.
- ^ "Chapter 20", Ghosts of Ascalon by Matt Forbeck and Jeff Grubb:
- Gullik let out a deep sigh and said, "I met her in the forest of Caledon. I was hunting the great cats there, seeking their pelts, and several of them got the better of me. I was resting beneath one of their strange-shaped trees by the roadside, when she walked along. She asked me if I would like to stop bleeding. I told her I would, very much. She worked her greenish death-magic over my wounds and I regained enough of my life to accompany her to the next haven."
- ^ "Chapter 9", Ghosts of Ascalon by Matt Forbeck and Jeff Grubb
- ^ "Chapter 11", Ghosts of Ascalon by Matt Forbeck and Jeff Grubb
- ^ "Chapter 24", Ghosts of Ascalon by Matt Forbeck and Jeff Grubb
- ^ "Chapter 27", Ghosts of Ascalon by Matt Forbeck and Jeff Grubb