Karma can be obtained from:
- Events (20 -378 , based on event level)
- Hearts (90 -675 , based on heart level)
- Fractals of the Mists (0 -3,400 ; see Fractals of the Mists#Rewards)
- Raid boss chests (10,000 each, affected by modifiers)
- Karma consumables
- Wintersday activities (only during Winter)
- Skyscale Rifts in Bjora Marches (25 per orb)
The amount of karma acquired from the first three sources can be increased by various karma modifiers.
Karma consumables can be obtained from daily achievements, champion loot bags or certain chests, from activities, from Lost Orrian Jewelry Boxes, from Karmic Retributions, and from foes in selected maps. They are sometimes also obtained during special events. The amount of karma from each consumable is fixed and cannot be increased by any means.
There are several ways to increase the amount of karma earned from events and running Fractals of the Mists. These modifiers do not affect karma consumables.
|Achievement Rewards bonus||0-48%+||The upper limit for karma bonus from this source increases as more achievements are added to the game.|
|50% Karma Bonus|| Karma Booster
Extra Life Karma Booster
Communal Boost Bonfire
Candy Corn Gobbler
|50%||1 h|| Obtaining the effect from multiple sources will stack duration.|
Kite Fortune version is randomly obtained and lasts 10 minutes.
Candy Corn Gobbler version is randomly obtained and lasts 15 minutes.
Karma Booster can still be obtained as a reward for reaching level 38.
|Guild upgrades and banners|
|Guild Karma Boost||Guild Karma Banner||5%||30 m||Does not stack with other guild banner effect.|
|Guild Karma Banner Boost|| Guild Karma and Experience Banner
Guild Heroes Banner
|15%||30 m||Does not stack with other guild banner effect.|
|Spirit Banner Boost||Spirit Banner||10%||30 m||Stacks with guild banner effects.|
|Guild Karma Boost||Guild Karma Bonus||3-10%||∞ h||Requires Heart of Thorns; bonus depends on how many enhancements the guild has unlocked|
| Karmic Enrichment
Koda's Warmth Enrichment
|15%||Bonus active while equipped|
|Enhancement|| Peppermint Oil
Tin of Fruitcake
|10%||30 m||Only one utility buff may be active at a time.|
|Explorer's Warmth||Bonfire (Priory Historian Elisa)||5%||3 h||Gained from standing near Priory Historian Elisa's bonfire after Gather wood for the fire for a Karma boost (80) has been completed. Removed when you leave the instance.|
|Boon of the Wishing Well||Wishing Well||2-10%||30 m||Chance to gain one stack when offering coins to the Wishing Well in the Domain of Vabbi, up to 5 stacks. Removed when you leave the instance.|
|Crowd-Favorite Racer||Race in Divinity's Reach||10%||15 m||Complete the race in Divinity's Reach during Wintersday. Removed when you leave the instance.|
|Candy Cane||Candy Cane||10%||1 - 30 m||1 minute per candy cane. Stacks duration up to 30 minutes.|
|Winter's Blessing||Winter's Blessing||10%||1 h||Reward for Wintersday daily achievement Donation Drive.|
|Volunteer's Blessing||Automatic||5%||10 m||Gained by volunteering to move to a new instance of a closing map|
Only 1 food Nourishment effect can be active at a time.
|Birthday Blaster||10%||10 m||0|| +40 to all attributes|
+15% Magic find
|Bowl of Blueberry Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream||5%||30 m||20||Gain Healing Power equal to 2% of your Vitality|
|Bowl of Candy Corn Ice Cream||5%||30 m||5|| Gain Healing Power equal to 1% of your Vitality|
|Bowl of Chocolate Chip Ice Cream||5%||30 m||5||Gain Healing Power equal to 1% of your Vitality|
|Bowl of Ginger-Lime Ice Cream||5%||30 m||35|| Gain Healing Power equal to 3% of your Vitality|
Gain Healing Power equal to 1% of your Toughness
|Bowl of Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream||5%||30 m||50|| Gain Healing Power equal to 4% of your Vitality|
Gain Healing Power equal to 2% of your Toughness
|Bowl of Peach Raspberry Swirl Ice Cream||5%||30 m||65|| Gain Healing Power equal to 5% of your Vitality|
Gain Healing Power equal to 3% of your Toughness
|Bowl of Saffron-Mango Ice Cream||5%||30 m||80|| Gain Healing Power equal to 6% of your Vitality|
Gain Healing Power equal to 4% of your Toughness
|Kralkachocolate Bar||5%||20 m||80|| Gain Healing Power equal to 6% of your Vitality|
Gain Healing Power equal to 4% of your Toughness
|Peppermint Omnomberry Bar||10%||30 m||80|| +30% Magic find|
+40% Gold from Monsters
|Tropical Peppermint Cake||10%||30m||80|| Gain Health Every Second |
|Plate of Island Pudding||10%||30 m||80|| +30% Magic find|
+15% Experience from kills
|Scoop of Mintberry Swirl Ice Cream||10%||30 m||80|| +66% Chance to Steal Life on a Critical Hit|
Maximizing karma gain
The following persistent bonuses can be combined to maximize a character's personal karma gain. This does not include situational or location-specific bonuses such as Boon of the Wishing Well or Volunteer's Blessing.
|Karma Boost (from Karma Booster or Karma-configured Communal Boost Bonfire)||50%|
|Guild Karma Boost||10%|
|Guild Karma Banner Boost (Karma + Experience or Heroes Banner only)||15%|
|Spirit Banner Boost||10%|
|Ascended amulet with Karmic Enrichment||15%|
- Karma merchants, found throughout Tyria.
- Master craftsmen NPCs for high quality crafting recipes.
- Renown Heart NPCs, after completing their required tasks.
- Karmic Converter, a unique item allowing players the choice of one reward per day in exchange for karma.
- The selection of items offered by karma vendors can be affected by local events; in particular, some items are only available after completing certain events.
- During the betas, you could earn karma by completing parts of your personal story, helping others complete their story, or completing renown hearts. This was removed upon release.
- Karma rewards were added to dungeon completion in the October 22, 2012 update.
- Karma was made account bound with the addition of wallet in the Queen's Jubilee release; prior to that, it was character bound.
- Karma consumables are not affected by boosts since the September 3, 2013 update. Each consumable was changed to grant around 50% more karma to compensate for this change.
- 10,000 was added as a raid boss reward in the June 11, 2019 update.
- The karma icon was inspired by the Penrose triangle, an impossible object.