Give Vallus Smokemane an honorable soldier's death.
- Talk to Rytlock in the arena.
- Speak with Vallus Smokemane.
- Face Vallus Smokemane in the Bane.
- Talk to Rytlock in the arena.
Click here to edit the reward data
- All professions
- Warband Hauberk, Duty-Bound Duffers
- Drover Coat, Ragamuffin Toeshoes
- Invoker's Coat, Homespun Espadrilles
Begin the story and talk to Rytlock to enter the arena. The player character and Vallus will exchange some words before fighting. Vallus, being a mesmer, uses illusions to his advantage to outnumber you. When he does summon the illusions, he will cloak away for some time before reappearing to attack. Vallus' strongest ability is his Skritt Transformation, forcing the player to become a skritt for a few seconds. Minion summons and AoE's work exceedingly well in this fight due to the overwhelming numbers clumped together in tight clusters. When transformed, use the basic attack periodically. Too often and you'll be surrounded by the summons, taking damage rapidly. Vallus will occasionally use poison, so time your healing skills.
When the player is transformed, they will have access to two skills:
|1||Slash||½||Strike your foe.|
|2||Throw||1||Throw junk at your foe.|
Speaking to your sparring partner:
- Clawspur: This is nobody's idea of fun. End it quickly.
- Will do.
- Dinky: If this weren't a duel to the death, I'd be rooting for both of you.
- Thanks, Dinky.
- Euryale: Your sire's not half-bad once you get to know him, but duty is duty. We're all behind you on this one.
- Thanks, Euryale.
- Maverick: Well, this could've turned out better, but you made a tough call. I just want to be clear: I would've done the same.
- Thanks, Mav.
- Reeva: Don't think about it. Just get out there and do your duty. I'll be cheering for you, loud and strong, as always.
- Thanks, Reeva.
Talking to the Mane warband:
- Sudia Strongmane: If Vallus had really cared about us, he'd have been in that canyon when we needed him.
- You're fine now and he's not. Quit whining.
- Hasta Sharpmane: Vallus was always an idiot. You stay out of trouble, you toe the line, you stay alive. That's how it is in Emer's warband.
- A leader like that always gets what she deserves. But today, it's Vallus's
- Rurtha Diremane: I think Vallus'sSeparatists. You can't bargain with humans—they ruin everything they touch.
- Humans didn't bring us to this. Emer and Vallus did. Too bad only Vallus will pay for it.
- Arcus Longmane: Even in the fahrar, I knew Vallus was doomed. He hated taking orders—especially when he disagreed. Now it's too late.
- It's too bad it turned out like this, but it's for the best. Your warband will go on.
Approaching Emer and Rytlock:
- Emer Whipmane: This is how it has to be. The law must be served.
Speaking to Emer and Rytlock:
- Emer Whipmane: Remember, Vallus will kill you, given the chance. And then I'd need another way to make him pay for his crimes.
- Don't worry about me, Emer. I'm here to deliver a soldier's death, not die one.
- Rytlock Brimstone: This won't be easy, or pleasant. But you've handled this well so far. Don't falter now. Good luck.
- Thank you, sir.
Cutscene after talking to Rytlock:
- Rytlock: Gladiators, to the arena!
Speaking to Vallus (cinematic):
- <Character name>: Vallus Smokemane, mesmer of the Mane warband: you disobeyed direct orders. You stole from the High Legions. You deserted your comrades in the field.
- <Character name>: For these crimes, you are sentenced to die in this arena. I stand for the legions and will deliver their judgment.
- Vallus Smokemane: I did what I did for my warband. I chose a soldier's life over legion politics. I'd do it again.
- <Character name>: I respect your loyalty, but your ultimate duty is to the legions. Now, fight with honor like the soldier you are, and may we meet again in the Mists.
- Vallus Smokemane: Thank you, Legionnaire. Win or lose, live or die, I'm proud to be your sire.
- <Character name>: Noted. Despite your crimes, you've earned my respect. Now, Father: let's end this.
After the cinematic:
- Vallus Smokemane: You want a fight? You got one!
During the fight:
- Vallus Smokemane: Not bad, cub. But I'm not going down that easy!
- Vallus Smokemane: Your primus taught you well. But I know some tricks, too.
- Vallus Smokemane: Time to kill or be killed. Either way, I'm proud of you. Now let's finish this!
Talking to Rytlock in the arena (cinematic):
- <Character name>: It's over, Tribune. Vallus Smokemane has been punished according to High Legion law.
- Rytlock Brimstone: A hard job, but one you did well.
- <Character name>: Simply protecting the chain of command, sir. History shows it's our key to victory. Without it, we tear each other apart.
- <Character name>: Vallus let loyalty blind him to right action. In the attempts to save one soldier, he endangered many more of us.
- Rytlock Brimstone: Yes. Some people will never understand that's what being a soldier means. But you get it.
- Rytlock Brimstone: Now get your R&R. I'll be sure to call on you again when I've got a complicated situation that needs a swift solution.
Speaking to the NPCs present:
- Rytlock Brimstone: That was rough, but you never wavered. You've earned some down time. just stay close. I'll be sending for you soon.
- Of course. Thank you, Tribune.
- Emer Whipmane: At last, it's over. Thank you, Legionnaire. You probably hate me right now—and I don't blame you—but you should be proud. In the end, justice was done.
- Mists. It was a no-win situation. I just hope Vallus's
Talking to the Mane warband after the cinematic:
- Sudia Strongmane: This is it, then? Vallus dies here, like some caged animal?
- No, he dies like a soldier: armed and able to fight back.
- Hasta Sharpmane: I wish Vallus could've gotten a break, but I understand your choice. Emer was determined to humiliate him and make him suffer before he died.
- I made the choice. It's on me...but thanks.
- Rurtha Diremane: This'll reflect on our entire warband. Vallus is our brother, but it's better he dies here and now, like a soldier.
- That's right. Now step aside — I've got ugly work to do.
- Arcus Longmane: I got nothing to say to you, cub. Vallus did wrong, but this isn't right.
- Doesn't matter what you think. It's happening anyway.