Night of Fires
Night of Fires
- 1330 AE
- Path of Fire
- Night of Fires
- Mekele Bluffs
Sifuri Sand Sea
Click to enlarge
- Investigate Forged camps for signs of Balthazar.
- Speak with Captain Rahim.
- Speak with the cavalier at the northern camp.
- Sabotage cannon emplacements with explosives.
- Speak with the cavalier at the eastern camp.
- Gather intelligence on the Forged at the eastern camp.
- Investigate the cart.
- Examine the armor scrap.
- Investigate the metal plate.
- Examine the Forged corpse.
- Search for Balthazar at his war camp.
- Regroup with your guildmates outside Balthazar's war camp.
- Infiltrate the Forged war camp.
- Optional: Don't allow the sentries to set off alarms.
- Clear the Forged soldiers guarding the inner gates.
- Approach the camp's center.
- Forged Officers Eliminated
- Forged Bastion
- Regroup at the Temple of Kormir.
- Meet Kasmeer at Kormir's Temple.
- Speak to Kasmeer.
- Speak with the robed stranger.
- Herald of Balthazar
- Refugees: alive: XX
- Clergy revived: X/6
- Speak with Kito and your guildmates.
The first part of the mission takes place in the open world. Talk to the two cavaliers indicated on the map. They will each direct you to a Forged camp near them.
In the northern camp, all you have to do is to destroy enough of the respawning cannons. You can use the Forged Ammunition lying around to speed this up, as they can destroy the cannons in one hit.
In the eastern camp, you have to find three pieces of intelligence among many false leads. Running up to a lead will cause you to say something, and the right targets will be highlighted with a green star when you get close to them. There are four possible items that can be found, but only three are needed.
- A cart full of branded rocks in the central area.
- A Forged scrap on top of a crate.
- A metal plate inside a small building.
- A Forged Husk on the western tower.
After completing both camps, move east and enter the story instance where Rytlock and Canach join you. Kill the two guards at the gate, then move through the camp to the indicated target. When you get close to a sentry (marked with an eye symbol), they'll run off toward a Forged brazier to call for reinforcements. Throwing some Forged explosives at them is a good way to stop them dead in their tracks, as it were, as well as cripple and chilled. Everyone else you can kill at your leisure.
After you dispatch the guards at the second and third gate, you're tasked with killing the four marked Veteran Forged Officers. There are again three sentries (also marked on your map) and a lot of Forged to be wary of. If you're having trouble, stay back and pull them towards you at the gate to take them out individually. There's no time limit, so take your time and clear them as quick or slow as needed.
As soon as the officers are dead, a Forged Bastion appears at the center, and any remaining Forged (including sentries) run away. This boss is very resilient (self-applies Protection), has devastating (if slow) ranged attacks, and summons reinforcements. Remove his Protection boon to take him down faster. After he's lost about two thirds of his health, he'll retreat to the central brazier and make a stand there. During this phase, he will also occasionally rotate a complete circle firing groups of projectiles.After beating the Bastion, move northwest to the Temple of Kormir and speak with people there. After a bit of conversation, the Herald of Balthazar will appear and attack you again. After you've hurt her a bit (approximately down to 80%), she moves and starts attacking refugees. Use your Special action skill, Move!, to call nearby refugees to your location and out of the way of her Herald's Doom attacks. After she's down to 25% health, she flees again. Revive the somewhat priests of Kormir to complete the mission.
|Night of Fires||Path of Fire: Act 1||11|
| Complete the Night of Fires mission.Journal: Night of Fires Completed
||Completed Night of Fires||1|
|Leave None Alive||Path of Fire: Act 1||2|
|Defeat every enemy in the Forged camps, not including reinforcements.Story Mission: Night of Fires||Defeated Every Enemy from the Forged Camps||2|
- Kill all officers and trash mobs in the instanced Forge. Once all officers are dead, the other forged will run away, so it's best to leave one officer alive until you've killed all other foes. When the Forged Bastion comes to the central area, you can ignore him and kill remaining foes. Come back and kill him when you're ready to leave the instance.
- Achievement eligibility may be tracked via the Qualify for Leave None Alive effect.
|Lurking among the Flames||Path of Fire: Act 1||2|
|Get through the Forged camps without the sentries setting off any alarms.Story Mission: Night of Fires||Set off No Alarms||2|
- Achievement eligibility may be tracked via the Qualify for Lurking among the Flames effect. This effect is removed if you fail to stop a sentry.
|Shield of Kormir||Path of Fire: Act 1||3|
| Save all twenty of the Elonian refugees from the Herald of Balthazar.Story Mission: Night of Fires
||All Twenty Refugees Saved||3|
- At specific intervals during the fight, beginning at 80%, the Herald of Balthazar will move to one of the groups of refugees in the temple and begin a Herald's Doom attack, killing all of them.
- Use the Move! special action skill to lure civilians to your location. It is a shout skill and will lure any refugee in range to your location (at the time you used the skill), meaning all 20 can be moved at once if they're all in range. If you stand a little behind the Herald while she's winding up her Herald's Doom attack and use the skill, the refugees will move to your location behind her. You can then continue to use it to pull them even further away. Since it's a shout, it has a good range, and there's enough time between her attacks to practice and see how far you can reach.
- Giving them Swiftness will help them leave the dangerous areas faster, and it is possible to prevent instant death from the hammer attack with Aegis, but if they remain in the fire they will quickly die from burning.
- As this chapter saves checkpoints at each stage, it is possible to relog after failing, and restart from the Temple of Kormir without having to replay the whole chapter.
- The safest method is going ahead before the Herald ever reaches refugees as she will follow a fixed pattern. When she moves to the first group (which also grants you the skill), follow her and stand behind her at the first group. Use the Move! special action skill while she's winding up to pull the first group of refugees behind her, then keep spamming it while running around the temple to keep all of them following you. All refugees in range will follow you even if they do not have the Shield icons over their heads, and so it's possible to run to each group and gather all 20 of them (there's about 5 groups of 4), and lead them to a spot nowhere near the fight (such as the ramp you came in on) and comfortably fight the Herald for the remainder of the mission without worry. The Herald will be more likely to stick near the spot of her last attack fighting your NPC allies, so this is possible to do solo fairly easily.
- Doing this with a friend can make it easier, as they can focus on damaging the Herald, while you focus on saving the civilians.
- Achievement eligibility may be tracked via the Qualify for Shield of Kormir effect.
|Hidden and Dishonored||Path of Fire: Act 1||1|
|Discover clues about the Herald of Balthazar's past.Story Mission: Night of Fires||Clues about the Herald of Balthazar's Past Discovered||1|
- Read all six Strange Burning Scrolls in the Forged war camp. Refer to the Strange Burning Scroll page for a detailed guide.
- Forged Ammunition
- Forged Cart
- Forged Husk
- Forged Plate
- Forged Scrap
- Metal Anvil
- Metal Crate
- Metal Scrap
- Metal Spike
- Metal Valve
- Scrap Pile
- Strange Burning Scroll
- Speaking to Captain Rahim
- <Character name>: Captain, I'm glad I caught you.
- Captain Rahim: Ahai, Commander! It would seem you've survived the den of vipers in Zalambur's casino.
- <Character name>: Zalambur was reluctantly helpful; he said the Forged had set up camps in the area.
- <Character name>: My team is scouting the main camp, but I need to know where any of the smaller posts might be.
- Captain Rahim: Actually, there are two Forged outposts outside the city walls. They mostly provide reinforcements and tactical support for the main camp.
- <Character name>: It would make sense to take those out before attacking the main camp, then. Kill the cavalry before they can come to the rescue.
- Captain Rahim: And it might cut back their raids on our city. You'll find one outpost to the north, and the other to the east.
- Captain Rahim: I've posted my cavaliers outside them. They can fill you in on what to expect inside.
- Near the northern camp
- Cavalier: Ahai, stranger. Be cautious if you're heading north. The Forged have set up artillery at their camp just ahead.
- <Character name>: The casino owner in Amnoon told me the war god Balthazar rallies his troops at these camps.
- Cavalier: Ah, Zalambur.
- Cavalier: I haven't seen Balthazar come around here, but the Forged are nasty enough on their own—especially now with the cannons and all.
- <Character name>: Well, I can put the Forged and their cannons out of commission.
- Cavalier: Uh, maybe you can leave a couple standing. I really need to keep this post.
- Picking up a Forged Ammunition
- <Character name>: What's this?
- <Character name>: This looks interesting.
- Completing the northern camp (if eastern camp is not completed)
- <Character name>: Just like she said, no sign of Balthazar. But at least there are fewer Forged to threaten Amnoon.
- <Character name>: Maybe I'll have better luck at the other outpost.
- Near the eastern camp
- Cavalier: Psst! Over here!
- <Character name>: Captain Rahim said you could help me. Have you ever seen Balthazar at this camp?
- Cavalier: If Balthazar showed up at this camp, you'd be talking to an empty tent. I'm just here to observe and report.
- <Character name>: I'm hoping to find clues on what Balthazar's up to. You can stay here cowering in the shadows if you'd prefer.
- Cavalier: Thanks for understanding. I have seen couriers delivering dispatches. They might contain intel about Balthazar's battle plans.
- <Character name>: I should have sent Rytlock to this camp...saved myself some trouble.
- Approaching the eastern camp
- <Character name>: Where is that intel?
- Approaching random objects
- <Character name>: This looks interesting.
- <Character name>: Aha!
- <Character name>: What's this?
- Interacting with non-intel objects
- <Character name>: No luck. But I'm not giving up.
- <Character name>: Got to keep looking.
- <Character name>: Nothing here.
- <Character name>: No good.
- Interacting with intel objects
- Forged Scrap: This piece of metal appears to be a piece of discarded Forged armor.
Examine the armor scrap.
- This metal armor has been specially treated to withstand heat and fire. The surface is scratched and pockmarked, indicating it has seen battle.
- Do nothing.
- Forged Cart: This cart is filled with a collection of crystals from the Brand.
Examine the shards.
- Although these Brand shards clearly resonate with magic, there is nothing to indicate their intended purpose or why the Forged would be collecting them.
- Leave the cart alone.
- Do nothing.
- Forged Plate: This ornate metal plate appears to have been crafted to fit some sort of machine.
Examine the plate.
- This metalwork is exquisitely detailed and made of dense and resilient alloy. It appears to be a small part of a larger set. Without the other pieces, its purpose is unclear.
- Leave it alone.
- Forged Husk: This Forged husk has been abandoned here, and the ﬂames within the suit of armor have gone out.
Examine the husk.
- Without the elemental and spirit magic animating the Forged soldier, it's just a suit of armor. It appears some sort of ritual must have been used to bind a spirit to the metal.
- Leave the husk alone.
- Completing the eastern camp (if northern camp is not completed)
- <Character name>: No sign of Balthazar or his herald, and no clue as to why he's hunting Vlast. But at least I know a little bit more about the Forged.
- <Character name>: Maybe I'll have better luck at the other outpost.
- Completing both camps (used in place of the normal camp completion dialogue)
- <Character name>: Two camps and still no sign of Balthazar. At least now we won't have to worry about leaving our flanks exposed at the main camp.
- <Character name>: Hopefully Rytlock and Canach had more luck scouting it out.
At Forged Foothold
- Meeting with Rytlock and Canach
- Rytlock Brimstone: Commander, glad you're here. I was getting tired of listening to him complain about the weather.
- If sylvari:
- Canach: All I said is that I find this arid climate to be less than ideal.
- Canach: All I said is that, for some of us, this arid climate is less than hospitable.
- Rytlock Brimstone: I think he's wilting.
- <Character name>: What have you learned about Balthazar's camp?
- Canach: I'm told this is the main Forged camp in the region. It has an extremely heavy troop presence.
- Rytlock Brimstone: Then I say we charge in and take 'em out before they know what hit 'em. Fast and fierce.
- Canach: Or, given that we'll be staggeringly outnumbered, I suggest we use finesse to engage a few at a time.
- <Character name>: Okay, follow my lead. Let's go meet a god.
- If rushed forward without stopping to listen to your companions
- Canach: Uh, might I suggest we pause to discuss our options first?
- Rytlock Brimstone: Right behind you, Commander.
- After defeating the Forged at the gate
- Rytlock Brimstone: Gate's clear. Time to rush 'em and crush 'em.
- Canach: They'll likely have sentries posted inside. I suggest we quietly pry the gate open to avoid their notice.
- <Character name>: All right, Canach, go ahead. We'll cover you.
- Canach: Gate's open.
- Encountering the first sentry
- Canach: We've been spotted. If that sentry reaches the alarm, we'll be swarmed.
- Encountering other sentries
- <Character name>: That sentry's been alerted. Get them!
- <Character name>: The sentry's going for the alarm. Take them out!
- <Character name>: Get that sentry or we'll have the whole camp on us.
- Stopping the sentries
- <Character name>: Okay, sentry's down.
- <Character name>: We stopped that sentry.
- <Character name>: Got that sentry in time.
- Failing to stop a sentry
- Canach: Too late! The sentry hit the alarm. More incoming.
- Clearing the first area
- Canach: All clear out here, but no Balthazar. No telling what's on the other side of this gate.
- Rytlock Brimstone: Only one way to find out. We smash, slash, and trash.
- Canach: Don't you ever just..."engage" an enemy?
- Approaching the Crucible of Consecration
- Veteran Forged Officer: How dare you misbelievers interfere with our work?
- Veteran Forged Officer: You are nothing before Balthazar!
- Defeating the Forged Officer
- <Character name>: That's one officer down. This is the main camp—there's got to be other officers inside. Let's go get them!
- Rytlock Brimstone: With any luck, we might even get a look at this so-called god.
- <Character name>: If he's not here, we should let him know we stopped by. Leave no Forged officers standing.
- Canach: Fast and fierce.
- If sylvari:
- Rytlock Brimstone: Now you're talking!
- Rytlock Brimstone: Yeah! What the plant said!
- After eliminating all Forged Officers
- Canach: What is that thing? There, in the central hub.
- Defeating the Forged Bastion
- Canach: And stay down!
- Canach: Balthazar's tin soldiers are getting bigger and nastier.
- Rytlock Brimstone: I've seen worse from Iron Legion cubs.
- <Character name>: You can tell him that in person, Tribune, but we've got to find him first.
- Canach: Camp's clear, but no sign of Balthazar or his herald.
- Rytlock Brimstone: The so-called god of war seems to be better at hiding than fighting.
- Canach: Careful. Graveyards are full of soldiers who underestimated their enemies.
- <Character name>: We should meet up with Kasmeer and decide where to go from there.
- Canach: The Temple of Kormir's right up this hill.
At Temple of Kormir
- Approaching the Temple of Kormir
- Canach: I don't believe I've ever been inside a human temple before.
- Rytlock Brimstone: You'll be fine. Just don't spit on the floor, blow out any candles, or let anyone hand you a pamphlet.
- Rytlock Brimstone: Just trust me on this.
- Approaching Kasmeer
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: Kormir, I ask that you guide me through this difficult...Oh, I didn't see you enter.
- <Character name>: Sorry, Kas. I didn't mean to interrupt your prayers.
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: It's okay, she will understand. I hesitate to ask, but...what happened at the Forged camp?
- <Character name>: No sign of Balthazar or his herald. I'd hoped you might come back to Amnoon with us to speak with Chief Councilor Imann.
- Robed Stranger: Commander—I regret the intrusion, but I must speak with you.
- <Character name>: Who are you? And how do you know who I am?
- Robed Stranger: I know more about you than just your title. But, please, we should speak in a more private setting.
- Speaking to the Robed Stranger
- <Character name>: Okay, you have my attention.
- Robed Stranger: I am Kito, and I believe I can help you. You're looking for Vlast, the crystal dragon being hunted by Balthazar, yes?
- <Character name>: How do you know what I'm looking for?
- Robed Stranger: The Order of Shadows has eyes and ears throughout the Crystal Desert. And you haven't exactly been a quiet presence here.
- <Character name>: "Order of Shadows"? I know the Order of Whispers.
- Shadow Agent Kito: We share history. But deep disagreements about our goals and methods tore the original order apart.
- Herald of Balthazar threatens <Character name>.
- Herald of Balthazar: Commander! I understand you visited our camp.
- Engaging the Herald of Balthazar
- <Character name>: Everyone, this thing targets civilians. We've got to protect these people.
- Herald of Balthazar: Why do you waste your energies fighting a god? Join him, and fight the dragons instead.
- Herald of Balthazar: These innocents cower in the glory of Balthazar's light.
- Herald of Balthazar: I send them on to be made worthy. To be strengthened. To be Forged!
- <Character name>: I won't let you touch them.
- Herald of Balthazar: You dare defy the god of war? The fires of Balthazar will consume you all!
- <Character name>: Look out!
- Using the Move! special action skill
- <Character name>: Come to me! I'll protect you.
- <Character name>: Move! Run to me!
- <Character name>: This way! Hurry!
- <Character name>: Over here!
- Defeating the Herald of Balthazar
- Herald of Balthazar: Balthazar, by your will, protect me!
- <Character name>: Don't let her escape!
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: Wait! We have to revive the faithful before the fire gets them.
- Canach: The herald can wait.
- <Character name>: Fair enough.
- After reviving the clergy
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: Her power... She's nearly as strong as a god herself.
- Canach: She sees your determination to protect the innocent as a weakness—one she can exploit.
- <Character name>: The path to Balthazar runs through his herald. We can't give up the chase.
- Shadow Agent Kito: Commander, our goals are aligned. The Order of Shadows wants to work with you.
- Shadow Agent Kito: Meet me at Makali Outpost, north of here. I can help you track the Herald from there.