Lieutenants are hand-picked by the dragons. They're not mindless drones, but intelligent killers, and have the power to corrupt living beings.
Champions, sometimes referred to as lieutenants, are created or corrupted by the Elder Dragons to lead their armies and to reinforce their minions. Dragon champions are of themselves extremely powerful, but they also tap into the inexhaustible power of their masters. An Elder Dragon may have multiple champions at any given time, with the champions' shapes ranging anywhere from draconic to humanoid. The difference between a champion and other dragon minions is that champions are imbued with a much greater amount of the Elder Dragons' will and magic, and possess an intellect of their own with which they act according to their master's wishes. Champions are also capable of spreading corruption much faster than lesser minions or even swarms of minions.
The more powerful champions also seem to play a role in the awakening of the Elder Dragons, Primordus's awakening having been heralded by the Great Destroyer and delayed by fifty years upon that champion's defeat. In this context, these champions are known as heralds. The Elder Dragons use the champions to gather magical energy for their awakening by assimilating more beings into the Elder Dragons' armies.
Occasionally, dragon champions are not referred to as individuals but rather a rank in the Elder Dragons' forces. For example, the Claw of Jormag is not a single individual but a rank of champion whose objective is to harry kodan refugees coming from the north.
List of confirmed dragon champions
- Claw of Jormag, a rank of champion assaulting the kodan sanctuaries in Frostgorge Sound.
- Dragonspawn, a champion that once resided near Hoelbrak. Killed by Destiny's Edge in 1320 AE as one of their first feats as a guild.
- Drakkar, herald and oldest known champion of Jormag, frozen within Drakkar Lake before Jormag's rise. Its current state is unknown.
- Fraenir of Jormag, the highest ranking rimebound Son of Svanir chosen by Jormag to lead the Icebrood assault in Bjora Marches.
- Frostfang, the strongest champion of Jormag, was slain by Asgeir Dragonrender in a single punch. The legendary weapon Frostfang is named after it.
- Kodan's Bane, one of Jormag's personal hunters tasked with destroying the sanctuary Honor of the Waves.
- The Nornbear, a corrupted norn. Slain in 1078 AE by his sister Jora. Revered by the Sons of Svanir.
- The Dragon Beast, a champion working with the Sons of Svanir to draw out the Minotaur Spirit in an attempt to consume it. Killed during Minotaur Rampant.
- Branded Devourer Queen, a lesser lieutenant that controls The Infestation and has been known to corrupt units of Iron Legion soldiers and scouts as well as control an army of Branded Devourers.
- Branded Wyvern, a large wyvern that assaulted Amnoon and battled Aurene. Killed during Eye of the Brandstorm.
- Chief Kronon, Kralkatorrik's first champion of the current dragonrise, an ogre chieftain who laid siege on Ebonhawke before retreating to the Crystal Desert, eventually becoming influenced by an excessive influx of ley line energy.
- Dominus Crystallum, a large wyvern that was captured by the Inquest; it escaped the facility and enthralled local wyverns before flying away.
- Josso Essher, one of the Forgotten who managed the Ascension trials and attempted to purify Kralkatorrik himself, now guards Augury Rock.
- Glint, oldest known champion of Kralkatorrik from the time of the dragons' last awakening. She was presumed by Faolain and Destiny's Edge to have been the herald of Kralkatorrik, but she had in fact been freed of Kralkatorrik's control by the Forgotten during the last dragonrise. She was killed by Kralkatorrik for her betrayal in 1320 AE.
- The Shatterer/Death-Branded Shatterer, Kralkatorrik's strongest champion which patrols the Dragonbrand and commands the Branded there. It was eventually destroyed by Vigil forces and replaced by new Shatterers. After gaining Zhaitan's domain of death, Kralkatorrik reanimated one of these Shatterers into a Death-Branded minion and later raised many more Death-Branded Shatterers to protect him during the Battle of Dragonfall.
- Uldek the Fierce, the former ogre chieftain of the Agrak Kraal who was corrupted while attempting to tame a branded minion. He is tasked to destroy his previous home and all of the ogre inhabitants. Killed during The Lost Chieftain's Return.
- Victurus the Shattered, a lesser lieutenant leading his now corrupted charr warband through the Crystalwept Groves.
- Wrathbringer/Death-Branded Wrathbringer, a quadrupedal creature created by Kralkatorrik to replace the Death-Branded Shatterer after its death in Jahai Bluffs. It was sent to attack Thunderhead Keep where it was destroyed. Kralkatorrik later reanimated it as a Death-Branded minion and sent it to protect him during the Battle of Dragonfall.
- Ysshi Hessani, a Forgotten who attempted to purify Kralkatorrik and was subsequently corrupted, now guards the ruined Grand Court of Sebelkeh alongside Pek Rakt Grag and a number of Branded Forgotten Zealots.
- Axemaster Hareth, Blademaster Diarmid, and Stavemaster Adryn, the three nigh-immortal commanders of the Mordrem Guard.
- Axemaster Gwyllion, a powerful Mordrem Guard stalking the canopy of Verdant Brink.
- Blademaster Cadogg, Hammermaster Morthwyl, Stavemaster Anwir, and Spellmaster Macsen, powerful Mordrem Guard making up the Mordrem Tetrad at Ascendant's Ring.
- Blademaster Cellona, a powerful Mordrem Guard defending the Blighting Tree in Morwood Wilds.
- Faolain, originally the Grand Duchess of the Nightmare Court, corrupted by Mordremoth. Killed during Bitter Harvest.
- Mordrem Vinetooth, larger version of other Vinetooths that hunted down and killed Faolain and Eir Stegalkin. Killed during Prisoners of the Dragon.
- Mordrem Vinewrath, a giant flower-like champion of Mordremoth, it serves as a factory of minions in the Silverwastes, encroaching upon Camp Resolve prior to the Pact's failed assault in the Heart of Maguuma. Other Vinewraths exist within Lost Precipice and Gilded Hollow, siphoning on the crystals there.
- Octovines, four large Mordrem infestations attempting to breach Tarir, the Forgotten City and consume its magic.
- Scarlet Briar, herald. Killed by members of the nascent Dragon's Watch in Scarlet's End during the Battle for Lion's Arch, but not before disrupting the flow of magic in such a way to awaken Mordremoth.
- Shadow of the Dragon, originally a creature seen only within the Dream of Dreams by sylvari called to fight the Elder Dragons and their minions. It was first seen in Tyria in 1327 AE when it attacked The Grove during the World Summit in a manner akin to Blightghast's attack on Claw Island, but was driven off by the Pact Commander. It later showed up in The Mystery Cave in 1328 AE attacking the Commander once again. Killed during The Mystery Cave.
- Vinetooth Prime, larger version of other Vinetooths that hunts down Exalted from the Vinetooth Den.
- Wyvern Matriarch, a powerful corrupted wyvern matriarch that patrols the skies above Verdant Brink.
- Destroyer of Life, right hand to Primordus after the destruction of the Great Destroyer. Killed by Destiny's Edge in 1320 AE.
- Destroyer of Hope, lead an assault on Tarir to destroy Aurene after she hatched, but killed by Dragon's Watch during Dragon Vigil.
- Destroyer of Worlds, a lesser lieutenant that was captured by the Inquest and given as a peace offering to the dredge found inside Sorrow's Furnace.
- Destroyer Queen, a lesser lieutenant that using The Feral Dens as her hatching grounds, destroyed in 1325 AE.
- Ignis and Aestus, two powerful lieutenants that watch over the Boiling Sea in Draconis Mons.
- Megadestroyer, a powerful destroyer that attempts to cause Mon Maelstrom to erupt.
- Molten Dominator, a lieutenant that leads destroyers at Ember Bay.
- The Great Destroyer, herald and oldest known champion of Primordus. Slain in 1078 AE after the Transformation of the Dwarves by great heroes of the day, Ogden Stonehealer, Jora, Vekk, and Captain Gwen Thackeray among them.
- Admiral Feiste Bakkir, a lesser lieutenant leading the attack on the Chantry of Secrets after Blightghast attacks Claw Island. Killed during Critical Blowback.
- Blightghast the Plaguebringer, led the assault on Claw Island in 1325 AE and was destroyed when the island was retaken that same year during Retribution.
- Captain Whiting, a corrupted human and former captain of the Indomitable. Killed in 1256 AE by Cobiah Marriner.
- Dzhudin Stormbreak, a lesser lieutenant who attacked the Pact forces while they were excavating the Rankor Ruins. Killed during Forging the Pact.
- The Eye of Zhaitan, a rank of champion composed of the reanimated former monarchs of the Kingdom of Orr. The strongest of them is the Sovereign Eye of Zhaitan, formerly King Reza, which was destroyed during the Source of Orr in 1325 AE.
- Fafnarin the Heartslayer, Horrogos the Soulbreaker and Ogravros the Moondeath attacked the Pact airship the Humble and all were defeated in the skies above Arah during Victory or Death.
- Farnaz, the former priestess of Lyssa of Arah before the The Cataclysm.
- General Azuldin, a lesser lieutenant found with an Eye and Mouth of Zhaitan inside the Temple of the Forgotten God who was killed by the Pact Commander and Sayeh al' Rajihd.
- Ghasem, the former priest of Grenth of Arah before The Cataclysm.
- Herboza the Wretched, a former norn explorer. She was destroyed by Carys and Tegwen during Shards of Orr in 1325 AE, with the help of the Durmand Priory.
- Kaisar, the former priest of Balthazar of Arah before The Cataclysm.
- Labwan the Deceiver, a lesser lieutenant who successfully infiltrated the Pact by posing as Tactician Syska. Killed by the Pact Commander and Trahearne during Delivering Justice.
- Lord Zhim Alarjann, a lesser lieutenant leading the attack on the Durmand Priory after Blightghast attacks Claw Island. Killed during The Priory Assailed.
- Mazdak the Accursed, an ancient ruler of Kryta and a corrupted lich found inside his tomb in the Provernic Crypt. Killed during A Tangle of Weeds, Dead of Winter, or Flower of Death.
- The Mouth of Zhaitan, a rank of champion used by Zhaitan to consume magic. Only two are known to have existed, both were destroyed by Pact forces.
- Morgus Lethe, a corrupted norn and former captain of the Cormorant. Killed by Magnus the Bloody-Handed and the Lionguard with the help of Destiny's Edge in 1319 AE.
- Prince Alhazred, a lesser lieutenant encountered and killed during Further into Orr.
- Prince Ellasal, a lesser lieutenant ruling over the ossuary located near the Cathedral of Eternal Radiance. Killed during Ossuary of Unquiet Dead.
- Prince Nekandezzar, a lesser lieutenant and the wielder of the Crimson Blade. Killed during Blast from the Past.
- Simin, the former priestess of Dwayna of Arah before The Cataclysm.
- Tequatl the Sunless, hylek name for the undead dragon that terrorizes the Splintered Coast of Sparkfly Fen. Increased in power after the defeat of Zhaitan, having absorbed some of its power.
- Thadeus Ghostrite, a lesser lieutenant encountered and killed during The Ghost Rite.
- Vahid, the former priest of Melandru of Arah before The Cataclysm.
- Vizier Ghil Ironghoul, a lesser lieutenant leading the attack on the Vigil Keep after Blightghast attacks Claw Island. Killed during Under Siege.
- Wraithlord, a lesser lieutenant found inside the ruined city of Arah.
- ^ a b c Stéphane Lo Presti and Jeff Grubb, GuildWars2Guru.com; links broke - image of posts:    
- ^ Magic Sucks
- Trahearne: I would be surprised if Zhaitan even bothers with controlling its lesser minions. They do nothing but destroy. [...]
- Trahearne: These seem to be more powerful. They also hold a larger quantity of magic. More of Zhaitan's will, perhaps? [...]
- Trahearne: Indeed, these creatures are acting with more self-will! Zhaitan's infused them with tremendous energy. See how the weapon affects them!
- ^ Ree Soesbee on Wartower.de interview, Youtube.com (video inactive)
- ^ Comment by Julia Nardin in "About the Charr victim complex, and Anet's hatred for Ascalon", Guild Wars 2 Forums