Join the Vigil's effort to destroy the dragon crystal.
- Meet Gahn and the Vigil soldiers in the Lawen Ponds.
- Find the Durmand Priory scholars.
- Defeat reanimated corpse of Howl the Brazen.
- Talk to the Order of Whispers' Lightbringer Amanda.
- Recover the vial with the crystal-destroying potion.
- Defeat Necromancer Rissa.
- Destroy the dragon crystal.
- From Howl to Silence Hero Achievement obtained.
Click here to edit the reward data
- All professions
Travel to the Lionbridge Expanse in Gendarran Fields and talk with Rytlock and Gahn. Head into the risen-infested swamp to try to find the Priory scholars. Upon reaching the indicated location, Howl the Brazen, a greatsword-wielding Risen charr warrior will attack. Slay him and speak with Lightbringer Amanda to advance the mission.
Continue to the next indicated location. On the way, a group of risen will appear out of the swamp and attack. Upon reaching the cave where the Priory scholars are, Necromancer Rissa will appear and initiate a dialog. After finishing the dialog, she will summon a group of risen grubs and attack. Slay her, then enter the cave and inspect the Priory bodies to find the potion. Use it on the dragon crystal to complete the mission.
When you enter the instance (only ambient):
- Dinky: The Vigil? That's what I would have picked. We're like brain twins!
- Clawspur: I know a few Vigil soldiers. Not up to our standard, but good fighters.
- Euryale: You and the Vigil? Congratulations. I give you one year before you're running the whole show.
- Maverick: The Vigil is a good choice. Everyone notices you when you're standing on a mountain of corpses.
- Reeva: The Vigil's a bunch of hardened veterans. You'll fit right in.
Talking to your sparring partner:
- Clawspur: No shortage of targets here.
- Save your best efforts for the ones that really count: Howl and the necromancer.
- Dinky: I just heard somebody call Rytlock a "soldier's soldier", but that's what we used to call Howl. Can there be more than one?
- Howl's long gone. When we're done here, there'll be only one again.
- Euryale: This is how it ought to be: the entire warband,fighting side-by-side. Let's see if these new recruits can live up to the standard we've set.
- I know they can. Come on, it's time to close the book on Howl and his amulet.
- Maverick: I hate getting all this swamp muck on my armor. Though I guess you'll be wearing Vigil colors from now on...so I say go ahead and get muddy.
- Just stick close. This isn't over yet, not by a long shot.
- Reeva: I love it when the whole warband goes out fighting. Hate the reason, but you know me: I like to find the up side.
- I'll see the up side after we put Howl and that necromancer down for good.
- Crusader Gahn Towerbreaker: All right, you mongrels, listen up and listen good.
- Crusader Gahn Towerbreaker: The Priory team went in without us. They'll never complete the mission without us.
- Crusader Gahn Towerbreaker: We need to find them and make sure their potion reaches the necromancer's crystal.
Talking to Rytlock Brimstone:
- Rytlock Brimstone: I'm here to support you, Centurion. We need to make sure your position in the Vigil is secure, and that we find Howl the Brazen.
- Good to have you with me, sir.
Speaking with Gahn (cinematic):
- Rytlock Brimstone: I'm glad you're here. The Priory jumped the gun and went in without Vigil support. Gahn has more details.
- Crusader Gahn Towerbreaker: The Priory team took the detector and the crystal-dissolving potion. Our objective is to find them. Ready for your first mission, recruit?
- <Character name>: More than ready.
- Crusader Gahn Towerbreaker: All we're doing is making sure the potion reaches the crystal. They should've given it to us in the first place. Never send a pencil-pusher to do a soldier's job.
- <Character name>: I'm ready to move when you are. And I'm not leaving until Howl, Rissa, and the dragon crystal have all been dealt with.
After the cinematic:
- Crusader Gahn Towerbreaker: Listen up! Those Priory eggheads jumped the gun, but we can't let them foul up this mission.
- Crusader Gahn Towerbreaker: Spread out and search for the Priory team, and watch each other's backs. Now, into the swamp!
- The other Vigil NPCs salute and leave.
- Crusader Gahn Towerbreaker: I can't give you orders, Tribune, but this is still a Vigil operation.
- Rytlock Brimstone: I'm just here to observe and support. I want to see this through as much as you and the centurion.
Talking to your allies:
- Crusader Gahn Towerbreaker: Should've made the Priory give us the potion. Would've saved a lot of trouble.
Can we use it if we don't know how it works?
- I don't know how gunpowder "works," but that never stopped me. We apply the potion, the crystal's magic stops working. Simple.
- Good point. Let's find those scholars and finish the job.
- Agreed. Let's find them fast and rectify that error.
- Rytlock Brimstone: If we don't stop this, we'll be drowning in the dragon's shamblers. After we take down Rissa, we need to look at the bigger picture.
- Agreed. After Rissa and Howl, the dragon's next.
Fighting through the undead:
- Crusader Gahn Towerbreaker: Hostiles inbound!
Upon finding the risen Howl the Brazen (cinematic):
- <Character name>: Howl! Can you hear me? Do you understand? Give me a sign that you're still you, or I'll have to... look, just say something!
- Howl the Brazen: Hunger... it hungers... WE hunger...
- Rytlock Brimstone: He's gone, Centurion. The corruption's got him. That's not the soldier you knew.
- <Character name>: Yeah... and this thing insults his memory. Howl was a good soldier, and my comrade. I'm not leaving him like this.
Your chosen sparring partner's comments on Howl's state:
- Dinky: Howl? Wow, you look awful. And you smell all...rotty. I like you better when you were dead-dead. No offense.
- Euryale: Burn me to cinders...Howl? No. No way I'm letting one of our warband walk around like this.
- Maverick: Howl? Buddy, you're a disgrace. Sorry, but we got to put you down. You're making us all look bad.
- Reeva: Aww...is that Howl? Sorry, buddy, but you need to go back in the ground.
- Clawspur: Is that you, Howl? Hate so say it, but it's time for you to lay down for good.
Upon speaking with Lightbringer Amanda:
- Lightbringer Amanda: That...hurt. What hit me? Hey, it's the Vigil. I knew you bash-first, ask-later types would come in handy.
And this coming from someone we found face-down in the mire. What happened here?
- We lost track of the Priory team at the crystal. Something went wrong for them...and then for us. I don't remember the details.
- Better than nothing. Stay here. We'll find that crystal.
We live to serve. What happened? How did you get so badly clobbered?
- We were tracking the Priory team. We tailed them to the cave where the crystal is. But then things got really violent, like really fast. That's all I remember.
- Okay. You stay put. The Vigil will take it from here.
Luckily I know when to bash and when to ask. This is a serious problem. We need your information.
- Sorry, I'm still groggy. We tracked the Priory team to the cave with the crystals, but we walked straight into an undead ambush. That's all I know.
- All right. You stand down. The Vigil will take it from here.
Speaking with Lightbringer Amanda again:
- Lightbringer Amanda: I've told you all I know. The rest is up to you.
- I'm on it.
- Rytlock Brimstone: Watch it! Undead headed this way!
Upon meeting Necromancer Rissa (cinematic):
- Necromancer Rissa: Ah, my furry friends. You've come far and accomplished much, only to die and be reborn as my undead slaves!
- <Character name>: You owe me, necromancer... for Howl the Brazen, and everyone else your amulets defiled. I'm going to paint this swamp red with your blood.
- Necromancer Rissa: I doubt it. The dragon crystal has so much power! Besides, I've already imbued the mire with enough toxic magic to kill you where you stand.
- Rytlock Brimstone: She's right, Centurion. We need to deal with her quickly. If the Priory potion is still in that cave, we can still end this.
- <Character name>: "Quickly" is just what I had in mind, Tribune. Come on, let's see if the necromancer can resurrect herself.
After killing Rissa:
- Rytlock Brimstone: Hah! Your new orders are to drop dead and commence rotting.
- Rytlock Brimstone: This looks like the Priory team. Search their bodies: we need to recover that potion.
Examining the bodies:
- Several bottles of the Priory's crystal-destroying concoctions are in a satchel on the body.
- Take a bottle.
Examining the crystal:
- Normal weapons cannot break the enchanted material of this crystal.
- Apply the potion to the crystal.
Cinematic after destroying the dragon crystal:
- Crusader Gahn Towerbreaker: Congratulations, recruit. Your comrade can rest in peace now, and we stopped the undead from flooding this whole region.
- Rytlock Brimstone: There's a lot more coming. The Orrian dragon also makes undead, and it won't stop at a single region. It'll take over the entire world.
- <Character name>: Then we take the offensive. The dragon is our new target, just like the crystal was. We kill it, we cut off the flow of Orrian undead at its source.
- Crusader Gahn Towerbreaker: Agreed. But we don't have the ordnance or personnel to take on the dragon directly. Not yet.
- Rytlock Brimstone: Don't tell me about dragons, soldier. Ever heard of Destiny's Edge? I was a member. We nearly took down an Elder Dragon all on our own.
- <Character name>: Then show us how. We need to work together if we're going to defeat it.
- Rytlock Brimstone: You're right. The charr can't do this alone. Fortunately, I heard from one of my old guildmates. She wants to meet in Lion's Arch about the very thing.
- Crusader Gahn Towerbreaker: Lion's Arch is also your next stop, recruit. There's a Vigil contact waiting with your first official mission. Glad to have served beside you. Good luck.
- Rytlock Brimstone: I'll keep an eye out for you in the city. If we're lucky, we'll get another chance to fight together. Do the Legions proud, soldier. Dismissed!
Warband survivor comments after the cinematic:
- Clawspur: This Ghan's all right. He knows what it's like to have your fur matted with the enemy's blood.
- Dinky: I wonder if there's a Gahn Tower-builder out there, too. Ah, you'd probably just fight.
- Euryale: I like Gahn's approach to problem-solving. Got a problem? Kill it.
- Maverick: Ghan's not a bad guy to follow into battle. He knows how to spread the glory around.
- Reeva: Gahn's kinda cute...for a big, lumbering, humorless goon. Wonder if he's single.
Talking with your allies:
- Crusader Gahn Towerbreaker: I knew you were right for the Vigil. And we need you, too—there's a lot more undead that need killing.
- I'll be ready, Gahn.
- Rytlock Brimstone: We got the necromancer, her crystal, and your fallen comrade. Now let's make sure there aren't more like him. Lion's Arch first, and then the dragons.
Agreed. But remind me: what's waiting for you in Lion's Arch?
- One of my old guildmates wants to bring us back together, see if we can put aside old differences. If so, then we'll have a tough veteran strike team ready to fight the dragon.
- Worth a shot. See you in Lion's Arch.
- Sounds good to me, Rytlock. I'll keep an eye out for you in the big city.
Talking to your sparring partner:
- Clawspur: If I'm in charge, they'd better learn to listen. I don't like repeating myself.
- No worries. They'll adjust to your chatty style in no time. Good luck, Legionnaire
- Dinky: You've got this leadership thing down, boss. I'll never live up to your example. Are you sure about leaving me in charge?
- Absolutely. You can rely on this warband and they can rely on you, Dinky.
- Euryale: Let me be blunt: I'd rather you were staying with us. But if you're my Centurion, this legionnaire is ready to lead our warband to greatness.
- Blunt, Euryale? You? Just go easy on your subordinates. You need them alive.
- Maverick: This is a real turning point: you're poised to make a big splash as a Vigil recruit, and I'm poised to become the sexiest legionnaire in the entire charr army...present compant [sic]excepted, of course.
- Just remember, Mav: a good leader stops talking every now and then to listen.
- Reeva: So, you're off to Lion's Arch to join the Vigil now? I think I speak for the whole warband when I say: Boo! Even with the promotion you gave me, this stinks.
- Cheer up, Reeva. You'll have this warband partying over enemy corpses in no time.