Champion Chief Kronon
Champion Chief Kronon
Champion Chief Kronon is a former ogre chief who has been Branded by Kralkatorrik. He led the Ogre Revolt and assaulted the Stronghold of Ebonhawke with a Branded army until he was called south to the Crystal Desert to join Kralkatorrik's horde. Kronon now roams in the Crystal Oasis, fighting anything that is not Branded.
Kronon was once the chief of the ogre tribes near the Blazeridge Gap. His son, Chiefling Ygor, was killed by Logan Thackeray and Rytlock Brimstone in 1319 AE, and Kronon swore to avenge Ygor's death. At the time Kronon was 240 years old, old enough to have buried many sons. He had been born the very year that the Great Destroyer, champion of the Elder Dragon Primordus, had awakened. His great-great-grandsire had been born in the year that magic had come into the world. The greatest of his grandsires had been born before there were any humans.
In 1320 AE, Kronon, his ogre warriors and their hyenas had penetrated deep into southwest Ascalon, only half a day's march from Ebonhawke which they intended to invade in retaliation for Ygor's death, when the Elder Dragon Kralkatorrik awoke and flew overhead. Kronon and his army transformed into Branded by the Elder Dragon's breath, their muscles turned to crystals and their bones to stone.
The Branded chief followed his new master south, to Ebonhawke, where the ogres steamrolled the Iron Legion siege and stormed the gates themselves, laying waste to the Ebon Vanguard. Queen Jennah, who had been visiting Ebonhawke to open the new asura gate, summoned her champion Logan Thackeray to protect her, tearing him away from the battle with Kralkatorrik.
When Kronon arrived, he let out a roar of incoherent rage that shook the walls of Ebonhawke. He led the charge in a pitched battle in the courtyard, with the other side led by Logan Thackeray, who had released a century of charr from the dungeons in order to aid in the defense. Eventually, Queen Jennah herself summoned a tremendously powerful illusion of an Elder Dragon, tricking the ogres into believing their master wanted them elsewhere, and holding the humans and charr transfixed with a glamour, so that the ogres would think that they, too, had been transformed into Branded.
The Branded creature that was once Chief Kronon moved south and began wandering the northern areas of the Crystal Oasis, hungering to serve his Elder Dragon master. In 1330 AE, the refugees in the Zephyrite ruins of Destiny's Gorge placed a champion bounty on Kronon, which adventurers could pick up from the Bounty Board there. Kronon was eventually slain by bounty hunters.
- Defeat the champion bounty (80) [Group Event]
- Unstable Magic Abilities
- Any 2 of the effects granted by Unstable Magic Abilities
- Bleeding Shard
- Massive Smash
- Stolen skills
|Treasure Hunting Kit||Gizmo||Basic||1|
- ^ Chapter 6: Stranger Danger, Edge of Destiny by J. Robert King:
- Chief Kronon's feet pounded the ground, and his heart pounded his ribs. His scar-crossed chest pumped like an old bellows, and he ached-not with the running, but with every father's fear: that his son had stirred up terrible trouble. [...]
- Chief Kronon approached the spot, seeing Chiefling Ygor sprawled out, arms spread and hands open, never to close again.
- Falling to his knees, the chief murmured, "My son. My son. You will be avenged."
- He reached down to the chiefling's belt, which bore the horn he used in the hunt. Chief Kronon pulled the horn from its thong and set it to his lips and blew a long, mournful cry. Then he let his hands fall to his sides and roared into the sky, "You will be avenged!"
- ^ Chapter 27: Dragonrise, Edge of Destiny by J. Robert King:
- Chief Kronon and his ogre warriors and their hyenas had penetrated deep into southwest Ascalon, only half a day's march from Ebonhawke. They had destroyed three human scouting parties already and planned to kill plenty more before storming the fortress. Charr had already laid siege there, but Kronon and his tribal allies would charge across their backs and take the walls of Ebonhawke.
- The life of Chiefling Ygor was worth a hundred charr and a thousand humans.
- What was this, though? A black cloud rolled across the sky, spitting lightning. What kind of storm was this, with eyes that glowed like coals?
- A golden thunderstroke broke across Chief Kronon and his warriors.
- It bathed them. It broiled them. It turned their muscles to crystals and their bones to stone. [...]
- The beam passed on, but the dragon's mind remained. It suffused Chief Kronon's thoughts—gritty like sand. Itchy. It made him forget vengeance for the dead chiefling. It made him only want to follow.
- Chief Kronon watched the beam go. It was heading south, toward Ebonhawke.
- That was where the master was going.
- Chief Kronon flexed crackling arms. "Follow!" he shouted. Even his voice rang like crystal. "Follow!"
- ^ Chapter 31: The Charr Vanguard, Edge of Destiny by J. Robert King:
- A roar of incoherent rage shook the walls of Ebonhawke. Humans clutched their heads and charr and ogres winced back from battle.
- The cry came from Chief Kronon, who stood above the bloodbath with arms outstretched and head thrown back-bellowing. As he brought his head back down, an eerie light shone from his eyes.
- "This can't be good," Logan muttered.
- Chief Kronon howled again, an otherworldly sound like the cry of the Elder Dragon itself.
- That cry was answered by another ogre, and a third and a fourth. All of them were throwing their heads back and bellowing to the sky. Their voices rattled the stones of the keep and made humans and charr drop to their knees. The ogres shuffled toward their chieftain and stood beside him, wailing their lament. The remaining hyenas loped up beside them as well, adding their peculiar cackles to the cacophony.
- ^ Veteran Chieftain Vreega