Now watch your tail, and prepare to fight!
- 1 Biography
- 2 Locations
- 3 Story involvement
- 4 Combat abilities
- 5 Gallery
- 6 Notes
- 7 Trivia
- 8 See also
- 9 References
Garm's early life and the fate of the pack of dire wolves that he was born into are unknown. He eventually met with the norn Eir Stegalkin and chose her as his alpha, however. They became an inseparable pair as Eir forged her legend.
The Molten Alliance, consisting of dredge and the Flame Legion, rose after Zhaitan's demise and began raiding charr and norn settlements in 1326 AE. Garm accompanied Eir to Knut Whitebear's loft where the matter was discussed. The dire wolf witnessed Eir's son Braham appearing and asking for the Wolfborn to aid Cragstead, which the Molten Alliance was harassing, only for Knut to deny any help due to the limited number of Wolfborn being busy elsewhere. The Pact Commander arrived in time to witness the brief exchange before Braham stormed off, leading Eir to admit to those present that Braham was her son.
After Braham and the Commander had saved who they could at Cragstead and returned to inform Knut and Eir about what they had witnessed, Garm once again observed the exchange between the respective parties and Braham's disagreement with Knut's decision to not get involved. The dire wolf and Eir later learned that Braham, the charr Rox and the Commander had assisted the Vigil in liberating charr and norn prisoners from molten weapons facilities.
The Pact Commander's investigations led to the discovery that the mad sylvari Scarlet Briar's assault on Lion's Arch, which had involved the Molten Alliance among many other cooperating groups, had redirected the flow of ley lines underneath the city to the Heart of Maguuma to awaken the Elder Dragon Mordremoth. Months later, Mordrem minions appeared in various locations in Central Tyria and sought magic for their master. The Commander had their companions meet with people who were close to the leaders of five notable Tyrian nations in order to convince the leaders to attend a summit at the Grove where the growing threat of Mordremoth would be discussed.
The Commander and Braham met with Eir and Garm in her lodge in 1327 AE and tried to convince her to persuade Knut Whitebear to attend the summit as the norn representative. Eir was skeptical about Knut's involvement, however, as the Sons of Svanir had grown in strength and posed too big a threat for Knut to ignore. In order to sway Knut's mind, the Commander swore to disrupt Svanir operations in Frostgorge Sound by raiding Barrowstead from the south with the Vigil. Braham, Eir and Garm supported the idea and made their way there from the other side.
The raid was successful, and the Vigil dealt a severe blow to the Sons of Svanir. While fighting alongside Eir, Braham had come to see his mother in a new light and began understanding why she had left him with his father Borje to forge her legend. While the Commander traveled to the Black Citadel next to see if Rox had made progress with convincing charr leadership to attend the summit, Braham, Eir and Garm headed back to Hoelbrak to celebrate their victory and bond with a feast.
After the leaders had agreed to fund the Pact's campaign against Mordremoth, Eir and Garm traveled to Camp Resolve in the Silverwastes where the Pact was making preparations to take the fight to the Elder Dragon's territory. Garm witnessed Braham and Eir bonding for the brief moments they had together as well as the Commander's talks with Destiny's Edge. The Mordrem assaulted the camp sometime later, but casualties were minimals thanks to the Commander who managed to signal aerial bombardment of the area to cull the invading dragon minions.
The Pact began preparing faster as a result and launched their fleet in a preemptive strike at Mordremoth and its minions before the Elder Dragon had a chance to amass a new army. All of Destiny's Edge except for the missing Caithe and Rytlock accompanied Marshal Trahearne on the assault to the Heart of Maguuma aboard the Glory of Tyria while the Pact Commander's party was chasing after Caithe who had taken Glint's Egg from them elsewhere.
Unbeknownst to all aboard the Pact fleet, Mordremoth was already strong enough to extend its mental manipulation to the outskirts of Verdant Brink where its voice affected many sylvari who succumbed to the dragon's call. The combined assault of extending Mordrem vines and many sylvari turning against their fellow Pact members led to the destruction of the Pact fleet.
Garm survived the crash but was separated from Eir and the rest of the Pact in the aftermath. He was lost in the jungle and wandered around for months in search of Eir, unaware of her demise in the battle against the Mordrem Vinetooth. Garm's fate remained unknown to the Pact members who focused their efforts on surviving in the jungle and continuing the fight against Mordremoth.
Garm was eventually found by Rox who took him back to Hoelbrak just in time for a memorial held in Eir's honor in 1329 AE, months after Mordremoth's demise. The Pact Commander attended the memorial and comforted Garm, offering him something tasty to eat while the dire wolf was cleaned up.
After he had recovered under the norn's care, Garm accompanied Rox and Frostbite to Bitterfrost Frontier where they found Braham searching for a lost, magical jotun scroll. Joined by the Commander in later stages of the search, the group headed deeper inside an ancient cave where they eventually recovered the scroll after defeating its fierce guardian. Garm witnessed Braham lashing out at the Commander after the two had a disagreement over what to do with the threat the Elder Dragons posed.
Garm reluctantly followed Braham to Hoelbrak and saw Braham shooting Eir's bow, which had been enchanted with the jotun scroll, at the Fang of the Serpent which cracked. The act rallied many young and battle-ready norn behind Braham who founded a new Destiny's Edge to keep Eir's memory alive.
Braham, Garm, Rox, and the new Destiny's Edge traveled beyond Bitterfrost Frontier and found Jormag in 1330 AE. As they surrounded the Elder Dragon, however, they suddenly heard Jormag's anguished roar and saw the Elder Dragon return to the ice before they could attack it. Braham immediately suspected that the Commander had been responsible for Jormag's changed state somehow. After the group had returned to Hoelbrak to plan how to get to Jormag, he wrote a letter to Taimi explaining what he had witnessed and asking her about the Commander.
Following the somber return to Hoelbrak, Garm retired. Portals began opening around the settlement a few months later, however, with Awakened invaders pouring out. Garm did not accompany Braham and Rox who entered the portals to find the source of the mysterious invaders.
- Chapter 1: Forging a Legend
- The Great Hunt
- Defeat Our Ancient Foes path
- Protect the Spirits path
- Guard the Mists path
- Chapter 2: Everybody Makes Mistakes
- Chapter 3: Death from Below
- Chapter 4: Order Neophyte
- Chapter 6: The Battle of Claw Island
- Chapter 8: Victory or Death
- Episode 3: Flame and Frost: The Razing
- Episode 4: Flame and Frost: Retribution
- Episode 15: The Nightmares Within
- Episode 3: The Dragon's Reach: Part 1
- Episode 5: Echoes of the Past
- Eir's Companion
- Filthy - during Eir's Memorial in Hoelbrak
- Determined - during Eir's Memorial in Hoelbrak
- Injured - during Eir's Memorial in Hoelbrak
- Garm can be spoken to during The Last of the Giant-Kings story instance, should the player have chosen to seek Wolf's blessing with the quest Twilight of the Wolf.
- Visiting Eir in Stonewright's Steading in Hoelbrak with a norn character results in Garm following the character around the map.
- A book cart in northeast Ebonhawke stronghold includes a child's story told in pictures called "Garm and Friends." It tells the story of a heroic wolf and his companions.
- During some story instances, such as Rumors of Trouble, Garm can be seen running around outside with a wolf pup.
- There is a Lionguard Polearm in the Blood Tribune Quarters in the Black Citadel that mentions Garm and Rytlock Brimstone as the last contestants standing in the 1320 Wintersday Tournament.
- The exact details of how and where Garm and Eir first met, what happened to other dire wolves, and how Garm came to view Eir as his pack alpha remain unknown. It has been suggested that one day this story might be told.
- Garm is a dog who guards the gate of Hel and is associated with Ragnarök in Norse mythology.
- It is mentioned in J. Robert King's Edge of Destiny that Garm's eyes are of a "fire-red" color, yet in the game they are blue.
- Garm has been confirmed to weigh 280 pounds (127kg).
- Associated items
- ^ a b Post by Mark Katzbach quoting Angel McCoy in "Dolyak Express Feb 10, 2014", Old Guild Wars 2 Official Forum (Archived)
- ^ The Flow of Magic
- Taimi: You won't believe what just happened, Commander. Guess. No, never mind, can't wait. Braham sent me a letter.
- Taimi: Would you like me to read it? Of course you would. He says, "Taimi. What did the commander do to Jormag?"
- Taimi: "Destiny's Edge—my guild—had it surrounded, and then... Suddenly, an anguished roar, and it returned to the ice."
- ^ The First City
- Rox: I've been missing my old friends since Garm retired. [...]
- Braham Eirsson: Rox and I were in Hoelbrak trying to figure out how to get to Jormag , since you put him to sleep under a mountain of ice.
- Rox: These portals just started opening up all around the city. Then those..."Awaked," you call them? ...Started pouring out.