Smodur the Unflinching
Smodur the Unflinching
The day we run from the Flame Legion is the day we start forging wind-up toys instead of siege engines.
Smodur the Unflinching is the Imperator of the Iron Legion. He is a veteran of many battles and a brilliant engineer and architect, responsible for many advancements that have increased the Iron Legion's strength and influence in Ascalon. As imperator, Smodur is among those who can interrogate, judge, and sentence prisoners of the Black Citadel.
In the past, Smodur joined the Iron Legion and gradually climbed its ranks until he became the legion's latest Imperator. He served together with Ambassador Steelcrusher on a tour of duty out on the Granite Front. At some point Smodur lost one of his eyes; rumors claim that he tore it out in order to intimidate his opponent, which may have earned him the monicker "Unflinching."
Smodur proved himself to be a just, determined and cunning Imperator who often acted as a mediator in arguments between the three High Legions in Ascalon. Following the death of Ferro the Butcher, Tribune Bhuer Goreblade successfully petitioned Smodur to erect a statue in Ferro's honor in the Black Citadel.
During his tenure Smodur had to split his attention between incursions from the Flame Legion as well as the ever-present Ascalonian ghosts created by the Foefire, dividing his forces to deal with these threats. While he welcomed the presence of Ash Legion and Blood Legion reinforcements in Ascalon, he was well aware of the ambitions and ulterior motives of Imperators Malice Swordshadow and Bangar Ruinbringer.
Smodur was considered by some to be the most progressive of all charr. He was part of the truce faction of the charr, working on the Ebonhawke Treaty with the humans upon receiving the Claw of the Khan-Ur which a Vigil group led by Dougal Keane had retrieved from Ascalon City at the suggestion of Queen Jennah and Imperator Malice Swordshadow. While seemingly acting purely out of noble interest, Smodur was also using the opportunity provided by the ceasefire to forge a stronger alliance with humans as a means to strengthen his position as Imperator in Ascalon.
Since the peace negotiations began, Smodur pulled the charr forces back from the gates of Ebonhawke, allowing humans to settle outside the stronghold's walls peacefully. By his decree, non-charr races were permitted to enter the Black Citadel, and human prisoners held in the Gladium Canton were set free and permitted to live in the Citadel if they chose to stay.
Following his acquiring of the Claw, rumors ensued whether Smodur would use the Claw to further his own influence over the legions to become the new Khan-Ur, or if he was hoping to see the ancient artifact, and therefore the legacy of the Khan-Ur, destroyed. Smodur kept the Claw intact, however, and eventually displayed it on his desk in the Imperator's Core.
As Imperator, Smodur presided over the defense quorum held in the Black Citadel's Command Core where high-ranking officers from the three legions convened to discuss the threat posed by the Molten Alliance which had been assaulting settlements in Ascalon and the Shiverpeaks and kidnapping people in 1326 AE. The Molten Alliance was eventually driven back by the Pact Commander, Braham Eirsson and the gladium Rox, and the charr remained vigilant for future acts of aggression.
When Rytlock continuously ignored summons from the brass at the Black Citadel who wanted to know more about his time in the Mists and his new revenant powers, he was stripped of his rank as tribune and charged with dereliction of duty. Members of the Adamant Guard were dispatched to Rata Novus to bring Rytlock back by force if necessary in 1329 AE. Rytlock acquiesced peacefully when confronted, however, and followed the Adamant Guard escort to the Black Citadel where he attended a closed-doors meeting where Smodur was likely present. Following the questioning, Rytlock's rank was reinstated, and he was released from custody with the details of the meeting being classified.
In 1330 AE, the charr defended Ascalon from Awakened raiding parties which appeared out of strange portals. Smodur ordered the legions in Ascalon to stay on alert for subsequent Awakened invasion attempts.
- Chapter 1: Getting the Band Back Together
- Chapter 2: Sins of the Father
- Episode 5: The Dragon's Reach, Part 1
- Episode 5: The Dragon's Reach, Part 2
- In the Command Core
- You don't belong here, <character race>. Move along, before I call a guard, or better yet, toss you out myself.
- Moving along. Here I go. Sorry.
- During Rox: Critical Mission if completed Forging the Pact
- What's a commander of the Pact doing here? I thought you had dragons to fight.
A little bird told me there was a battle brewing.
- Well, it's true. We're planning a war. Your support would be welcomed.
- Thank you, Imperator.
- The dragons will wait, for now.
- Smodur's name is featured in common charr phrases such as "[By] Smodur's [missing] eye" and "By Smodur's guns."
- The track "Smodur the Unflinching" is named after him on the Guild Wars 2 Official Soundtrack.
- Smodur is voiced by Liam O'Brien.
- Associated items
- ^ Minister's Defense
- <Character name>: How do you know the imperator?
- Ambassador Steelcrusher: We served together on a tour of duty years ago out on the Granite Front.
- ^ Tira Quickfury
- ^ Undead Detection Luccia Wildeye: Anytime the Black Citadel is pulled in three different directions, Smodur smacks everyone in the face and shouts "Listen up!"
- ^ The Legions of the Charr
- ^ Originally the Claw of the Khan-Ur could not be found anywhere in the Black Citadel. However, it was added to the Imperator's Core in the A Bug in the System release with no mention in the patch notes, coinciding with the release of the Claw as a legendary dagger.
- ^ Sparking the Flame
- <Character name>: Well, I'm glad you're here, Tribune... Can I still call you that?
- Rytlock Brimstone: Yep, all cleared up.
- <Character name>: And...?
- Rytlock Brimstone: The citadel wanted a report on my Foefire mission and the... magic. Who am I to deny them a great tale?
- <Character name>: AND?
- Rytlock Brimstone: It's classified, Commander. Sorry.
- ^ Fury of the Dead Legionnaire Risa Gallowfoil: By Smodur's missing eye, the battle is in the crypt!
- ^ Unexpected Visitors Ballista Geargrind: You're not one of my soldiers, but by Smodur's guns, you'll act like one!