Fury of the Dead
Fury of the Dead
- 1325 AE
- Personal story
- Getting the Band Back Together
- Village of Smokestead
(Plains of Ashford)
- Preceded by
- Character creation
- Followed by
- Chain of Command
The Tribune's Call
Best Laid Plans
The charr have conquered Ascalon, but ghosts of the humans who lived and died there still fight on. The Black Citadel struggles to put these restless ghosts down permanently, but Ascalon's spirits relentlessly assault the charr.
— In-game description
Defend Smokestead from ghosts.
- Report to Legionnaire Tosia Domesplitter.
- Fight your way to the front.
- Get to the crypt gate.
- Join up with Rytlock Brimstone's unit.
- Destroy the ghostly duke.
Defend the gate
- Defend the gate against the ghosts.
Kill Barradin's ghostly minions
- Ghost waves defeated: x/4
[Group Event] Kill Barradin
Click here to edit the reward data
- All professions
As soon as the introduction cutscene ends, talk to Legionnaire Tosia Domesplitter to get your orders. You will then have to fight your way to Gracchus Krysknife by killing several Ascalonian ghosts, with the help of your warband as well as soldiers of all three High Legions. Krysknife is wounded and is lying on the ground. He'll call you out when you walk near him. Talk to him to trigger a cutscene. You then have to follow the road to the crypt, which is not too far.
Once there, if the gates are closed stay in the area and defend them from the incoming ghosts until they open. If the gate is open when you arrive, the event has already started, you can choose to proceed or wait until the gates close if you wish to see the event from the beginning. The crypt is linear. Follow the other charr until you find Rytlock Brimstone in front of the chamber where Barradin waits. You'll have to defeat three waves of regular ghosts, then fight Barradin's ghost himself. Once he's almost defeated, he becomes invulnerable and possesses the statue at the back of the arena, starting the final boss fight.
Barradin may trigger a powerful AoE attack. Watch out for the several red circles that appear on the ground, and get out of them if possible, or try to dodge out of the way. Another attack of his will fear anyone close enough to him, but isn't too dangerous. Various ghosts will appear around you during the battle. You may want to kill them to help your allies if you can't hit Barradin yourself, or if you want to earn more experience. However, Barradin is the real target. Once his life bar is depleted, the cutscene triggers automatically and the mission ends.
- Ash Legion Scout
- Blood Legion Captain
- Blood Legion Soldier
- Centurion Gracchus Krysknife
- Howl the Brazen
- Iron Legion Engineer
- Iron Legion Marksman
- Legionnaire Aestiva Scribesort
- Legionnaire Risa Gallowfoil
- Legionnaire Tosia Domesplitter
- Legionnaire Urvan Steelbane
- Rytlock Brimstone
Opening cinematic after character creation:
- <Character name>: I am a charr.
- <Character name>: In this world of constant battle, I am the deadliest weapon of all.
- <Character name>: I respect no authority but the clenched fist of my Legion.
- <Character name>: With engines of destruction, we have killed our gods.
- <Character name>: We reclaimed our homeland of Ascalon, and we planted victory banners on the graves of our enemies.
- <Character name>: Yet if we waver, it could slip through our claws.
- <Character name>: Victory. At any cost.
- If Ash Legion:
- <Character name>: I live and die where secrets hide. I thrive where danger dwells.
- <Character name>: I'm a soldier in the service of the Ash Legion. I'm a blade in the darkness
- <Character name>: I've earned the respect of my comrades and forged alliances I can call on in time of need.
- <Character name>: My legion teaches stealth. Patience. Deception. We fight where the Citadel commands, but only to aid the Ash Legion's cause.
- <Character name>: Today, the Black Citadel's combined army will assault the ghosts that plague this land.
- <Character name>: I've been assigned to reinforce the bulwark.
- <Character name>: Let the Blood Legion charge blindly to their deaths. Let the Iron Legion build its machines of war.
- <Character name>: You will find me in the shadows.
- If Blood Legion:
- <Character name>: The Blood Legion is my mother. The Blood Legion is my father.
- <Character name>: We charr are born into battle. We live on the fields of war. And I...I will die fighting.
- <Character name>: I'm a soldier, a ground-pounder, frontline infantry. I face the enemy head-on.
- <Character name>: I've earned the respect of my comrades and forged alliances I can call on in time of need.
- <Character name>: In the Blood Legion, we're taught the meaning of the word "duty." We are relentless.
- <Character name>: Today, the soldiers of the Black Citadel will assault the ghosts that plague this land. I've been assigned to reinforce the bulwark.
- <Character name>: Let the Ash Legion strike from the shadows. Let the Iron Legion build its machines of war.
- <Character name>: I will not stop fighting until the only thing left standing on the field of battle...is me.
- If Iron Legion:
- <Character name>: The Iron Legion's warcry can be heard in the churning of gears and the roaring of siege engines.
- <Character name>: I serve the Iron Legion. I build the future. I forge the weapons of charr supremacy.
- <Character name>: I've earned the respect of my comrades, and forged alliances I can call on in times of need.
- <Character name>: My legion values innovative solutions. Efficient execution. Like our steel, we do not bend.
- <Character name>: Centuries ago, humans stole Ascalon from the Iron Legion. They have paid for that crime in blood, but the usurpers fight us even in death.
- <Character name>: Today, the combined armies of the Black Citadel will assault the ghosts that plague Iron Legion territory.
- <Character name>: I have been assigned to reinforce the bulwark.
- <Character name>: Let the Ash Legion strike from the shadows. Let the Blood Legion die on the field.
- <Character name>: I am part of the machine.
- <Character name>: This is my story.
Approaching Legionnaire Tosia Domesplitter:
- Legionnaire Tosia Domesplitter: Over here, soldier! I've got new orders for you.
- Legionnaire Tosia Domesplitter: Watch your backs! The ghosts have broken through.
- Legionnaire Tosia Domesplitter: Ears up, blades out! We'll wipe these ghosts off the map.
Talking to Legionnaire Tosia Domesplitter:
- Legionnaire Tosia Domesplitter: Just in time, soldier. The ghost army's been bashing that gate for weeks. They've finally broken through. Fight your way to the front and report to Centurion Krysknife for orders.
- For the legions!
After talking to Tosia Domesplitter:
- Legionnaire Tosia Domesplitter: Fight your way to the front lines! Centurion Krysknife is waiting with your orders.
Approaching Centurion Gracchas Krysknife:
- Centurion Graccus Krysknife: Medic! Somebody get me up so I can die fighting!
Cinematic with Krysknife:
- Centurion Gracchus Krysknife: I need your help, soldier. Tribune Brimstone has ordered me to the crypt, but I'm too torn up to make it.
- <Character name>: What's so important that the Blood Legion tribune is there?
- Centurion Gracchus Krysknife: The ghost of Duke Barradin is far more powerful than we thought. His army just broke through our defenses.
- Centurion Gracchus Krysknife: Rytlock's about to fight him head-on. If he succeeds, it'll be weeks before the ghost reforms and we can rebuild our perimeter.
- <Character name>: On my way.
Talking to Centurion Gracchus Krysknife:
- Centurion Gracchus Krysknife: You still here?
I need to know more about Duke Barradin.
- Barradin's a nasty piece of work, even for a ghost. He's the one who provoked the others into attacking Smokestead. Take him out, and this corps will simply drift away.
- What do you know about Tribune Brimstone?
- You can count on me, Centurion.
What do you know about Tribune Brimstone?
- I know that no one's ever kept him waiting on the battlefield and lived to tell the tale. So get down there. It's better to fight by his side than to die by his sword.
- Yes, Centurion.
- Leaving now, Centurion.
Approaching your warband:
- Reeva: Hey! Over here!
- Reeva: I'm keeping score! Loser buys the first round!
- Reeva: Lucky! You always get the fun jobs.
- Maverick: This is your lucky day! You get to pay attention to me!
- Maverick: Waa-hoo! Complete 360! Match that.
- Maverick: Win big so we can brag big!
- Clawspur: I don't like this. The warband's scattered.
- Clawspur: Trouble everywhere. Watch your back.
- Clawspur: I'll be in the shadows.
- Dinky: Here, ghostie-ghostie-ghostie! Dinky's got a little surprise for you!
- Dinky: I count my kills, but I always lose track after three.
- Dinky: Wish I could go. Kill those ghosts dead...er. Deader!
- Euryale: Hey, you! Wake up and get over here!
- Euryale: Go show 'em how a real soldier fights!
- Euryale: Make our warband proud!
|Talking to your warband:|
Approaching the crypt while gate is closed:
- Legionnaire Urvan Steelbane: Stand down! Forget your orders. No one goes into this crypt unless I command it.
- Legionnaire Urvan Steelbane: Burn Tribune Brimstone! You wait; I'll give the orders here.
Talking to Legionnaire Urvan Steelbane when the crypt gate is closed:
- Legionnaire Urvan Steelbane: Hold it, soldier. Tribune Brimstone's gone into the crypt. Orders are we make sure no ghosts follow him. Which means we don't advance 'til the last one's vapor.
Our warband's been scattered. I'll go round them up.
- Hey, anybody can't keep up gets left behind. Obey my orders or I'll have you split tip-to-tail for insubordination. Is that clear, soldier?
After Defend the Gate event:
- Legionnaire Risa Gallowfoil: Steelbane! By Smodur's missing eye, the battle's in the crypt!
- Legionnaire Urvan Steelbane: 'I'm holding this tactical position. I'm—
- Legionnaire Risa Gallowfoil: Open the gate, or I'll be holding your head. Now! Rytlock needs reinforcements.
Approaching the crypt while gate is open:
- Legionnaire Risa Gallowfoil: Hurry! Tribune Brimstone's fighting Duke Barradin! His orders are to get down there and back him up!
Talking to Legionnaires while gate is open:
- Legionnaire Risa Gallowfoil: Barradin's really got his minions in a rage this time. Tribune Brimstone went down into the crypts to lead the counterattack. So why are you still up here, soldier?
- I'm on my way.
- Legionnaire Urvan Steelbane: What're you doing up here? I don't need your help. Get your worthless tail below. Tribune Brimstone wants you in the crypt.
- Yes, sir!
- Howl the Brazen: Best fight in weeks! You go on — I'll be right behind you.
Talking to Howl:
- Howl the Brazen: I was wondering when you were gonna join the party. They told us to kill as many ghosts as we can. You go on ahead—these are mine. Gotta love this job.
- Catch up as quick as you can, Howl. Brimstone's waiting.
Approaching Rytlock at the doorway to Barradin's crypt:
- Rytlock Brimstone: Fall in, soldiers! It's time to remind these ghosts who's in charge.
- Rytlock Brimstone: We're going to hit Barradin so hard it'll take him weeks to reappear! Move out!
During the fight against Barradin and his minions:
- Rytlock Brimstone: Dig in and stand fast!
- Rytlock Brimstone: Rally to me! Cut them down, stomp them flat.
- Rytlock Brimstone: Pop them like grubs on the griddle!
- Duke Barradin: Filthy animals! You will regret this!
Upon defeating Barradin and making him move to the statue:
- Duke Barradin: I will not be defeated! I will destroy you all!
During the fight against the statue:
- Rytlock Brimstone: You lost this war long ago, and we'll kill you until you get the point!
- Rytlock Brimstone: We burned down his kingdom and buried the ashes! Make him remember that day.
- Rytlock Brimstone: Forward, legions! Finish him.
Defeating the statue:
- Rytlock Brimstone: Mission accomplished. You're heroes now boys and girls, congratulations. Report back to Smokestead.
- Legionnaire Aestiva Scribesort: I heard what you did down in that crypt, soldier. Impressive.
- <Character name>: Tribune Brimstone was calling the shots. I just did my job.
- Legionnaire Aestiva Scribesort: Don't sell yourself short. You were part of the team that took down Barradin and stopped the ghost assault.
- Legionnaire Aestiva Scribesort: Smokestead is safe now, and you helped make it that way. People are still on edge, though. It'd help if they saw someone like you making the rounds, lending a hand.
- Legionnaire Aestiva Scribesort: The quicker we get this place squared away, the sooner the legions can get back to business. You can help. I'd rather have volunteers, but if I have to issue an order, I will.
- <Character name>: That won't be necessary, Legionnaire. I hereby volunteer.