Rox's original appearance.
Appearance during The Crystal Dragon.
If I kill Scarlet, I'm in the warband. Definitely.
Rox, previously known as Rox Pickheart and Rox Whetstone, is a charr gladium who works discreetly as a free agent for the imperator's office in the Black Citadel. A good friend of Braham Eirsson, she has lately become a member of the Dragon's Watch guild. Rox has adopted the albino devourer Frostbite as her pet.
|During the campaigns against the lich Palawa Joko and the Elder Dragon Kralkatorrik, Rox decides to leave Dragon's Watch and the High Legions and joins the Olmakhan tribe of charr.|
Rox became a member of the Pick Warband following her leaving the fahrar, and she took the name Rox Pickheart. She and Rytlock Brimstone shared a past with Rytlock being fond of her although the exact nature of their relationship remains unclear. Rox and her fellow warbandmate Nonus Pickaxe were best friends since the fahrar and grew closer over the years.
Rox worked with her warband on mining duties but lost them and her pet devourer Skewer in a cave-in. As a result of the accident she became a gladium and was expected to join a new warband to restore her position in the eyes of fellow charr.
Rox had already been unusually superstitious compared to other people, spitting on the ground for good luck, which Rytlock had noted as one of her many good luck charms since her childhood. She became even more superstitious after the accident that had killed her warband as she survived on almost pure luck.
In early 1326 AE, Rox began trials to join Rytlock's Stone Warband. She was provisionally named Rox Whetstone during this period. Her first assignment as Whetstone was to retake the North Nolan Hatchery from the Molten Alliance. There she rescued a baby albino devourer Frostbite, who became her new animal companion despite her initial reluctance, and befriended the Pact Commander who helped her in her task. She later accompanied the Commander, Braham Eirsson and the Vigil on several raids into the Molten Facilities to free prisoners and dismantle the Molten Alliance's mining operations there.
Rox was part of the official delegation from the Black Citadel during the Queen's Jubilee and tried to lift Braham's spirits after the norn had been dumped by his ex girlfriend Ottilia. Rox came to the defense of Divinity's Reach when it was attacked by a sylvari terrorist who became known as Scarlet Briar. Later, she was given an assignment to track and kill the mysteriously empowered Tequatl the Sunless, and she brought back the beast's tail as proof of her kill.
Rox traveled to the Tower of Nightmares in late 1326 AE with Braham, where she met Kasmeer Meade and Marjory Delaqua for the first time and helped end the schemes of the Toxic Alliance by bringing the polluting tower down. During this time the group learned that both the Molten and Toxic Alliances, as well as the Aetherblades whom Marjory and Kasmeer had been investigating earlier, were all working for Scarlet Briar for reasons that remained unclear at the time.
Following those events, Rox was part of the group that began tracking down Scarlet to end the threat which the mad sylvari's multiracial alliance posed to Tyria. Following her earlier successes, Rox was given one final task by Rytlock: she would be granted automatic membership into the tribune's warband if she killed Scarlet herself. However, Rox passed up her opportunity to do so during the Battle for Lion's Arch in 1327 AE as she chose to tend to Braham whom Scarlet had injured during the final confrontation. Before her demise, Scarlet used her flagship, The Breachmaker, to successfully breach the ley lines underneath Lion's Arch and redirect their magic to the Heart of Maguuma to feed the Elder Dragon Mordremoth, however, leaving the victory over her bittersweet at best.
Fearing Rytlock's wrath and expecting him to kill her for her failure, Rox gave up the name Whetstone and her chance to become a member of the Stone Warband for good. Although she avoided meeting with Rytlock in the following months, she nevertheless believed she had made the right choice putting the safety of her friends over any other ambitions even if it would have repercussions for her in the charr society in the long run.
Once again a gladium, Rox continued to pursue the new threat of the now rising Elder Dragon Mordremoth in the aftermath of Scarlet Briar's attack along with a group including the Pact Commander, Braham, Kasmeer, Marjory and the asuran prodigy Taimi. At some point during this time period she was recruited by Imperator Smodur the Unflinching, or someone in the Imperator's office, to act as a free agent on a discreet mission which she kept hidden from her companions.
Rox grouped up again with Braham, Taimi, Marjory, Kasmeer and the Pact Commander to look into disturbances in the Brisban Wildlands which led them into the Maguuma Wastes and the Zephyrite airships that had crashed there. Following the information they had, she helped track down the Master of Peace and saved him from the rogue sylvari Aerin who was showing symptoms of madness similar to Scarlet.
Rox finally gathered enough courage to confront Rytlock to ask for his help in convincing Imperator Smodur the Unflinching about the threat Mordremoth posed to charr and all of Tyria. She accompanied Rytlock, Smodur and the Commander to the Old Duke's Estate to try to end the Foefire curse with Rytlock's sword Sohothin and a reassembled magical crown and rid Ascalon of the ghosts plaguing it. The ritual had an unexpected twist, however, when Sohothin was swallowed by the Mists, forcing Rytlock to jump after the sword to reclaim it. Rox expressed worry over Rytlock but Smodur comforted her that Rytlock was not one to give up easily and would return to them eventually.
Once the Commander's companions had each convinced their respective racial leaders to attend the World Summit at the Grove to discuss the threat Mordremoth posed, the summit was interrupted by Mordremoth's champion, the Shadow of the Dragon. The dragon's minions injured the Pale Tree while the dragon itself focused on the Commander who was separated from the others. After the Shadow of the Dragon had been driven off and the Pale Tree had been severely weakened due to her injuries, the Commander informed the group about the vision of an egg which was sought after by Mordremoth's minions.
Realizing that the Master of Peace would know more about the mystery, the group decided to go track him down before the dragon minions would catch up to him. They entered Camp Resolve in search of the Master of Peace and witnessed the Pact making preparations to take the fight to Mordremoth before the Elder Dragon had time to strengthen its forces. The group met with various members of Destiny's Edge who were accompanying Marshal Trahearne in the preparations.
While in the camp, Rox was seen talking with the mysterious charr soldier Monti Scythescrape who she seemed to share a history with although both of them refused to elaborate on the matter and tried to direct the conversation elsewhere. When questioned by the Commander, she chose to lie rather than tell the truth although she accidentally let it slip that her mission apparently involved spying on someone whom she did not elaborate upon. The matter was quickly brushed aside by more pressing matters, however, as the threat of Mordremoth loomed ever closer.
The group eventually tracked down the Master of Peace in the Silverwastes and saw him being fatally injured by Mordremoth's minions. Caithe stole the egg from the dying man and fled before anyone could stop her, leaving the group confused. They learned that the egg was apparently important to Tyria's future and should not fall into the wrong hands as it belonged to Glint, a dragon prophet who had begun a plan to save Tyria from the consumption of the Elder Dragons.
Following Caithe's trail, the group ultimately cornered her in a cave in the far Silverwastes. Caithe tried to justify her actions with the egg and revealed the shocking secret that sylvari had originally been intended to serve Mordremoth before the Pale Tree had shielded them from the dragon's influence. The confrontation ended abruptly, however, when the Shadow of the Dragon breached the cave in its hunt for the egg. Once again, the dragon champion separated the Commander from the others, intending to finish the Commander off once and for all. Rox provided help with torches which she occasionally tossed into the arena to remotely assist the trapped Commander who killed the beast with everyone's help.
Caithe had escapeed with the egg once again during the battle, however. Braham decided to hurry back to Camp Resolve before the Pact Fleet's launch to try to talk to Destiny's Edge about Caithe. However, the group was too late as the fleet had already launched with Destiny's Edge aboard it. The fleet was shot down from the sky by Mordremoth who had set up a trap for them, however, and several sylvari turned into Mordremoth's minions and betrayed their Pact comrades after hearing the dragon's persuasive call.
Rox assisted the Pact Commander, Braham, Taimi, Kasmeer, Marjory and the sylvari Canach with entering the Heart of Maguuma after Mordremoth had torn the Pact fleet from the sky, and assisted tracking the whereabouts of Destiny’s Edge. She reunited with Rytlock Brimstone, who appeared from the Mists during a major Mordrem attack. Rox had several questions about the tribune's new revenant magic; however, Rytlock neglected to answer her inquiries. Rox stayed behind with a grieving Braham after Eir’s death from a Mordrem Vinetooth while the rest of the group pressed on deeper into the jungle.
Rox assisted the Commander in tracking the remaining members Destiny’s Edge to Dragon's Stand. After rescuing Zojja and Logan Thackeray from a Mordrem Pod, she protected them along with Kasmeer who used a portal to relocate the injured Destiny's Edge members to a safe location. Rox did not participate in the final battle with Mordremoth which resulted in the Elder Dragon's demise.
Rox returned to Hoelbrak to attend Eir's funeral in 1329 AE after locating Eir's dire wolf companion Garm in the Heart of Maguuma. The Pact Commander invited Rox to the new guild named Dragon's Watch to carry on the work of Destiny's Edge. Following the memorial, Rox left Hoelbrak with Garm to locate Braham in Bitterfrost Frontier. The Commander eventually traveled to the frontier as well and met with Braham, Rox and Garm in an ancient cave which was said to hold a magical jotun scroll similar to the one used by Asgeir Dragonrender that had rendered a tooth from the Elder Dragon Jormag's mouth.
The group eventually located an ice beast guarding the scroll which froze Rox in a block of ice during the battle. Braham got hold of the scroll with which he enchanted his mother's bow and helped the Commander kill the beast, after which Rox was freed from the ice. Witnessing a verbal clash between the Commander and Braham who was furious of Dragon's Watch being formed over continuing Destiny's Edge in honor of Eir, Rox decided to accompany Braham on his quest to kill Jormag to keep him safe.
Rox joined a new Destiny Edge guild formed by Braham and assisted them in reaching and surrounding Jormag. However, due to the activation of Taimi's Machine in Draconis Mons which sent Primordus's magic to hurt Jormag and vice versa, Jormag roared in agony and sank beneath the ice while the guild could do nothing but watch.
After losing their chance at Jormag, Destiny's Edge returned to Hoelbrak to think of their next course of action, and Garm retired. While there, Braham and Rox witnessed strange portals opening and never-before-seen undead pouring out to invade Hoelbrak. After beating back the probing assault, the pair decided to investigate the source of these Awakened and entered one of the portals, ending up in a strange asuran lab before taking another portal which led them in the middle of a would-be cave in which threatened to bury a group of people under a pile of rubble.
After Braham had used his guardian magic to save the group, the pair realized they had stumbled onto the Pact Commander, Rytlock, Canach and an unfamiliar face who introduced himself as Spearmarshal Zaeim. Braham and Rox learned that the Awakened were working for the undead king of Elona, Palawa Joko, and were seemingly pouring out of the ruins of Fahranur, the First City which the Commander's party was presently investigating. Taimi had been kidnapped by what appeared to be Joko himself, and the Commander was trying to save her before she would be harmed. Deciding to set his grudge against the Commander aside for the time being and focus on saving Taimi, Braham joined the Commander as did Rox.
The group eventually fought their way deeper into the city and encountered Inquest technology as well as asura who had been turned into Awakened servants of Joko. In the heart of the complex they discovered Taimi who was trapped within Scruffy 2.0 which had been reprogrammed to not only suffocate her but also force the golem to fight against the Commander as part of Joko's elaborate revenge for being slighted by the Commander in their earlier encounter. While Braham and the Commander faced Scruffy in combat, the rest of the party held off Awakened reinforcements which rushed to the location.
After the battle was over and Taimi had been saved, Rox expressed how much she had missed her old friends and how happy she was to be reunited with them. She tried to soften Braham to the Commander although her efforts were in vain due to the norn still holding a grudge. She and Braham also explained what they had been up to, including the brief Awakened invasion attempt on Hoelbrak which had led them to Fahranur to begin with. Worried that Joko gaining Inquest tech would lead to more Awakened invasions of Tyria, the pair decided to stay in Elona and aid the Commander in further investigations about what Joko was actually planning.
When both Jormag and Primordus's respective armies began battling one another and invading territories throughout Central Tyria in 1333 AE, Ash Legion's Imperator Malice Swordshadow and Blood Legion's new Imperator Crecia Stoneglow reached out to the Olmakhan to request their assistance. Although the Olmakhan were suspicious of the idea of United Legions that the two imperators were proposing after a brutal civil war between the legions, as well as an atoning Flame Legion led by the new Imperator Efram Greetsglory joining as allies, the tribe decided to send Rox as their representative to hear the legions' plan. Crecia called the Pact Commander to attend the meeting on Bloodtide Coast as a neutral mediator.
However, the negotiations had to be put on hold when Jormag's icebrood invaded the coast in an effort to reach Lion's Arch from the south. Rox and the Commander barely had time to exchange words as they were soon called to join Crecia and Malice to assist the Lionguard in evacuating survivors and defending the Stormbluff Beacon lighthouse from the invaders.
During the battle, Crecia apologized for the unexpected turn of events. Rox took it in stride, however, reminding everyone that things tended not to go according to plan whenever the Commander got involved, so she had actually expected some sort of surprise. She also promised that, despite misigivings from the Council of Five, the Olmakhan would join the fight as saving Tyria—and the charr race as a whole after the civil war that had nearly cost them everything—was a greater cause than any single faction's needs.
The party converged around a nearby moored Lionguard ship after defeating Tribune Splitwall, the Frost Legion champion leading the invading icebrood. Rox voiced out what Boticca and the rest of the Olmakhan had suspected: that the campaign to unite the legions was Malice's version of the deposed Blood Legion Imperator Bangar Ruinbringer's All-Legion Rally to promote herself as a new candidate for Khan-Ur. Malice was quick to point out that she did not desire the title as she only cared about Ash politics and felt that spying on equals was much more interesting. Malice also complimented Rox on always being reliable much to the latter's delight.
While talking with the Commander, Rox revealed that her and Frostbite's life with the Olmakhan since Dragonfall had been peaceful and that she had heard about what had happened in Tyria since Kralkatorrik's defeat. She admitted to sometimes missing the action although she had come to prefer her new way of life. Rox revealed that she and Braham had been writing letters to one another a year ago and she had noticed that he had changed since their last meeting; she had wanted to give him space upon learning about his involvement with the Spirits of the Wild and Primordus. Rox also expressed hope that the Olmakhan and Efram's new Flame Legion would figure out their new relationship in the months to come as both factions shared the goal of saving Tyria and the charr.
Rox eventually departed from Bloodtide Coast and traveled to the Eye of the North to exchange ideas with other races' representatives and coordinate Olmakhan to assist Tyrians against the invading destroyers and icebrood. While conversing with the Commander, she admitted that ever since losing her mate Nonus, she had been fighting nonstop to distract from the pain and how joining the Olmakhan and learning their way of life had finally allowed her to heal. Rox also pointed out that the one good thing to come out of the charr civil war was new leadership as some of the old guard imperators had held the charr race back from changing with the rest of Tyria.
- Diessa Plateau
- Lornar's Pass
- Gendarran Fields
- Lion's Arch (Under Attack!)
- Trader's Forum (During Escape from Lion's Arch)
- Lion's Arch (Enemy Controlled) (During Battle for Lion's Arch)
- Trader's Forum
- Grand Piazza
- Kessex Hills
- The Crown Pavilion (zone) (During Queen's Jubilee, Clockwork Chaos, and Festival of the Four Winds)
- Episode 3: Flame and Frost: The Razing
- Episode 4: Flame and Frost: Retribution
- Episode 10: Queen's Jubilee
- Episode 11: Clockwork Chaos
- Episode 14: The Nightmares Within
- Special Event: The Nightmare is Over
- Episode 16: The Origins of Madness
- Episode 17: The Edge of the Mists
- Episode 18: Escape from Lion's Arch
- Episode 19: Battle for Lion's Arch
- Episode 20: Battle for Lion's Arch: Aftermath
- Special Event: Festival of the Four Winds
- Episode 1: Gates of Maguuma
- Episode 2: Entanglement
- Episode 3: The Dragon's Reach: Part 1
- Episode 4: The Dragon's Reach: Part 2
- Episode 5: Echoes of the Past
- Episode 6: Tangled Paths
- Episode 8: Point of No Return
- Act I
- Act II
- Act III
- Act IV
- Episode 1: Daybreak
- Episode 2: A Bug in the System
- Episode 3: Long Live the Lich
- Episode 5: All or Nothing
- Episode 6: War Eternal
- cripple. Barrage - Barrage the target area with a hail of arrows that
- Trap. Heals you and your pet. Place a trap that grants regeneration and cures conditions on allies. Healing Spring -
- evasive retreat. Gain swiftness. This can be used while retreating. Quick Shot - Fire a quick shot in an
- At the Front Line
- Rox: The Olmakhan are brave, but they've never been part of a battle this widespread before.
- Rox: Rytlock and I are organizing them. Luckily, they adapt quickly.
- <Character name>: We're in their debt. They didn't have to answer our call like this.
- Rox: They see it as their fight, too. A communal cause. It's admirable.
- At Olmakhan Camp
- Hey, Commander. Welcome to the Underworld. Come to check in on the Olmakhan?
- What can I do to help?
How are you doing, Rox? Everything all right?
- I'm doing okay, all things considered. Next time you pull an island out of the Mists, I'd really appreciate something with fewer caves and undead.
I didn't really have a choice.
- Ha! Yeah, I guess you didn't. It's okay. As for the other stuff, well...I finally found a home. A family. Not that Dragon's Watch wasn't like a family, but...
You were looking for something else.
- Yeah. I guess I was. I thought I'd be a gladium for life. I never would've imagined something like the Olmakhan. And now...now I'm fighting for them. For this new life.
- We're fighting for it together, Rox.
- I'll...keep that in mind.
- Just making the rounds. Keep up the good work.
- At Eye of the North (during Icebrood Saga: Mobilizing Allies - Olmakhan) first time talk
- Rox: Once, I thought I'd put war behind me. Pretty stupid, huh?
- Rox: But if I don't fight in a moment like this, I may as well have died with my warband.
- Rox: We're doing something right. Weak tribes don't last. I know that much.
- Rox: I just wish strong tribes did.
- Following visits
- No way we're sitting this one out, Commander. The Olmakhan are in the fight. But we could use your help.
- Marshaling the Olmakhan achievement panel) Show me what I can do to help. (closes dialog and opens
How are things with the Olmakhan?
- What a year, eh, Commander?
- How's life with the Olmakhan?
- charr drama?
What do you think of all this
- Ha! Good one. I guess one good thing from the civil war was new leadership. The old guard was holding us back. The charr in general, I mean. The Olmakhan would've been fine.
- It must look very different from the outside.
- Collecting rewards from the bonus event
- Rox: Thanks for helping out. It may not seem like it, but it adds up.
- Rox: I'll tell Boticca you said hello.
- Good to see you.
- Hi there.
- Carry on.
- Combat chatter
- Aw, yeah. Let's go.
- So it goes.
- That'll do...for now.
Concept art by Jamie Ro.
- Flame and Frost: Avenger of the Dispossessed — Followed Up with Rox and Braham (10 ) (Historical)
- Flame and Frost: Hero's Aid — Successfully complete all of the Rox and Braham Living Story instances. (10 ) (Historical)
- Flame and Frost: Rox: Critical Mission — Witness Rox's Meeting with Rytlock. (1 ) (Historical)
- Flame and Frost: Rox - The Hatchery — Help Rox defend the hatchery. (1 ) (Historical)
- Boss Week: She's Over Here! — Meet up with Rox in Sparkfly Fen. (5 ) (Historical)
- Boss Week: Shoe Size: Massive — Help Rox track the dragon in Sparkfly Fen. (5 ) (Historical)
- Tangled Paths: Connect the Dots — Rescue your allies in this order: Rox, Braham, Marjory, and Kasmeer. (5)
- Visions of Sandswept Isles: Vision of Allies: Rox — Somewhere near Jemandi Market in the Sandswept Isles.
- Visions of the Past: Steel and Fire: Visions of the Past: You Made a Friend — Help Rox defend the hatchery...and find a new friend in the process. (1 )
- Rox was introduced with the March 26th 2013 game update.
- Both Braham and Rox have unique facial features not available in Total Makeover Kits.
- Rox was originally voiced by Rachel Robinson. Since the release of A Bug in the System she is voiced by Misty Lee.
- In original scripts for the ending of Living World Season 1, which could be found in the gw2.dat, it was revealed that Rox and Rytlock are half-siblings via their mother who, while dying, had made Rytlock promise to look after Rox. As this is never referenced in content that has been intentionally released to players, it cannot be considered canon, but it undoubtedly informs all the interactions between Rox and Rytlock in Living World Seasons 1 and 2.
- Associated items
- Mini Dragon's Watch Rox
- Mini Rox
- Mini Olmakhan Rox
- Rox's Pathfinder Outfit
- Rox's Quiver Backpack Cover
- Rox's Short Bow Skin
- ^ a b Rox's Tale
- ^ Remembering Scarlet's War
- ^ The Dead End: Advanced Warning
- Kasmeer Meade: What about you, Rox? Anyone special in your life?
- Rox: No. There was once, but he was killed.
- Kasmeer Meade: I'm sorry. Was he in your old warband? Braham said you're a gladium.
- Rox: Braham talks too much. [...]
- <Character name>: Good call. Say, I wanted to ask: How did your...mate die?
- Rox: In a mine cave-in, with the rest of my warband. His name was Nonus Pickflea...I mean Nonus Pickaxe. Pickflea was his nickname. We teased him. We'd been best friends since the fahrar.
- <Character name>: I'm so sorry.
- Rox: We were the Pick warband, best miners in the region. We could turn out more ore in a day than any other warband.
- <Character name>: Was it hard for you, left alone like that?
- Rox: They were my family. I still miss them...every last one.
- ^ Plan of Attack
- Rytlock Brimstone: I hope this works.
- Rox: (spit) For luck.
- Rytlock Brimstone: (chuckle) You used to do that when you were a cub. C'mon, let's get this over with.
- ^ Short Story: Delegation
- ^ Post by Scott McGough in "Short Story: Delegation", Old Guild Wars 2 Forums (Archived)
- ^ Frozen Tide
- Crecia Stoneglow: Malice and I reached out to the Olmakhan. We're spearheading an alliance. Long term.
- <Character name>: Is that something they'd be interested in? I mean, with the Flame Legion back in the picture—
- Crecia Stoneglow: It's a new Flame Legion. We're a new charr. A united charr. The Olmakhan are at least willing to hear us out.
- Crecia Stoneglow: They're sending Rox as their representative, and I'd like you to join us. A kind of...neutral mediator.
- <Character name>: I'd be honored. Haven't seen Rox since Dragonfall— It'll be nice to catch up.
- Crecia Stoneglow: We're meeting south of Lion's Arch. Bloodtide Coast. See you soon, Commander.
- ^ Comment by Eve Eschenbacher, Reddit.com
- ^ SPOILER - GW2 Living Story S1 Ending Dialogue, direct text dialogue taken from the gw.dat, Pastebin.com
- ^ From the cutting room floor: Living Story - Alternate Epilogue, Dialogue files provided by that_shaman, Soundcloud.com