The Icebrood Saga
While all seems quiet in the wake of Kralkatorrik’s defeat, whispers of trouble are stirring in the Northern Shiverpeaks. In this new Living World story, you and your allies will find yourselves at the center of a gathering storm as an ancient and insidious threat slowly reveals itself. Together you’ll face Jormag’s cult, the Icebrood, who have been twisted by the Elder Dragon’s corrupting power.
— Official site
The Icebrood Saga is the fifth season of the Living World, accessible to players who own Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire. It was announced on August 30, 2019, and started with a prologue episode, Bound by Blood, on September 17, 2019.
This article assumes knowledge of the storyline up to and including Living World Season 4, which takes place after Path of Fire.
This saga begins with the four charr High Legions gathering in Grothmar Valley to celebrate the death of Kralkatorrik, while Jormag begins to stir in the far north. Through its promises of power, the dragon has amassed a sizable army of Icebrood.
After the prologue in Grothmar Valley, Rytlock, Braham, and Jhavi Jorasdottir will lead the venture into the inhospitable Far Shiverpeaks, where players will face eldritch abominations, learn about the history of the Spirits of the Wild, and confront Jormag.
- Blood Legion Homelands
- Grothmar Valley - prologue
- Far Shiverpeaks
- Map TBA - in episodes 1 and 2, the map will expand to encompass new stories, activities, and places
- Rytlock Brimstone—Blood Legion Tribune with a nasty temper. Rytlock is best known for the sword that forged his reputation: Sohothin, legendary blade of fire and war. Back home...it's a different story. When his imperator summons him to a celebration commemorating Kralkatorrik's defeat, Rytlock inadvertently helps set into motion a series of events that threatens the future of the charr High Legions.
- Braham Eirsson—Young, headstrong norn Guardian prophesized to slay Jormag and reclaim the Shiverpeaks in the name of his people. After finally making peace with his mother's death, Braham must now face the consequences for cracking the Fang of the Serpent...then failing to deliver on his promises. No pressure or anything.
- Jhavi Jorasdottir—Descendant of the great norn hero Jora...Jhavi has spent her entire life living in the shadow cast by her great-grandmother's legend. As one of the leaders of the Vigil, it's sometimes difficult to differentiate between respect she's earned and respect her lineage demands. Raven might have a few things to say about that.
- Bangar Ruinbringer—Leader of the Blood Legion whose winning smile is all teeth. Despite his reputation as a wildcard among the imperators, the best interests of the charr are close to Bangar's heart. His distrust for humans and the other races of Tyria stems not just from prejudice, but from historic wrongs committed against his people.
- Crecia Stoneglow—Bangar's shrewd Head of Security. Her Flame Legion heritage and innate skill as an elementalist might make some charr cagey, but Crecia's loyalty to her imperator and the legion that raised her is seemingly unshakeable. More ambiguous? Her attitude toward her old warband mate, Rytlock. (Don't talk to her about Sohothin.)
Prologue: Bound by Blood
“Bound by Blood” takes you to Grothmar Valley to join an all-legion rally with the charr.
— Official website
Episode 1 is set in The Far Shiverpeaks, in a map that will expand to encompass new stories, activities, and places over the first and second episodes
— Official website
Dates of free access
The prologue, Bound by Blood, is free for players who own Path of Fire. For the rest of the episodes, logging into the game between the two dates listed would unlock the related episode for free. You can unlock the episodes even if you do not own Path of Fire, but you must have the expansion in order to play them. The dates are as follows:
|Bound by Blood||Always free|