Swift, strong, and agile, raptors are stalwart explorers and great companions for exploring the far reaches of the Crystal Desert.
— In-game description
The Raptor is one of the mounts first introduced in the Crystal Desert in Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire. It is the first mount available to players upon reaching level 10. The raptor leaps swiftly across great distances, making them useful for crossing large canyons. By holding down the hotkey, a leap will continue to its maximum distance. You can also release the hotkey early to drop out of the leap, which consumes less endurance.
Accounts which include any of the expansions: Heart of Thorns, Path of Fire, End of Dragons, or Secrets of the Obscure are granted permanent accountwide access to the basic raptor mount after they reach level 10 on a single character. For Play for Free and Core accounts, each character that reaches level 10 receives a 10-hour trial of the basic raptor mount. Time remaining on the trial can be tracked with the Mount Trial Active effect.
Raptor masteries can still only be unlocked in the Path of Fire expansion.
Prior to the August 2, 2022 update, the Raptor could be unlocked in the course of the first Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire story mission, Sparking the Flame, or in Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons by talking to Strigidae in Cobble Ward in New Kaineng City. It was common for players who owned Path of Fire but did not yet have a level 80 character to have a friend take them through Sparking the Flame to unlock Raptor before reaching that point in story themselves.
When the change was implemented, accounts which missed the initial unlock checkpoint due to their characters already being over level 10 would still get the unlock on the next multiple of 10 level (so, a level 24 character will get the unlock at level 30).
Masteries are not available to players without the Path of Fire expansion.
|Ravenous Strike||291,846||1||Understand the true ravenous nature of the raptor, greatly increasing the damage of Tail Spin.|
|Round Up||261,366||2||Learn to round up foes when using Tail Spin, pulling them in to your location.|
|Canyon Jumping||368,808||3||Learn to leap much farther with the raptor's movement ability, allowing you to traverse even more rough terrain.|
|Ravenous Discipline||1,697,354||4||Master the raptor mount and learn to share the bonus from Ravenous Strike to all mount engage skills.|
- gain decreased fall damage from Masterful Descent
- gain boons when using an engage skill or being knocked off your mount from Nimble Recovery
- gain evasion while using endurance from the Enhanced Evasion
- gain maximum mount health from the Sharing Is Caring
- gain skills from Crystal Champion masteries
Raptors are hardy and swift, and surprisingly easy to train due to their intelligence. They can cross great distances in a single leap, making them the favored mount of many of the desert's denizens. Travelers are advised not to leave the city of Amnoon without obtaining a raptor companion.
|Raptor||Summon and mount your raptor.|
|1||Tail Spin||2||Engage. Leap toward the target location, damaging nearby foes.|
|Leap||Hold to leap forward across great distances.|
|Dismount||Dismount your mount|
List of Raptor skins
- See also: Gallery of Raptor skins
- A raptor has 7312 health.
- A raptor without any mastery upgrades will leap around 800 units in flat ground.
- A raptor with the Canyon Jumping mastery will leap 1884 units with each leap on flat ground. 
- A raptor with the Canyon Jumping mastery will leap 1124 units with each leap on flat ground while at walking pace.
- Applying a dye on this mount changes the color of the scales on the top of its head, back, and tail.
- The raptor can jump two times in a row, each leap consumes one endurance bar when jumping max distance.
- The raptor regenerates its entire endurance bar in 10 seconds.
- The trail raptor cannot be dyed.
- While idle, the raptor will perform several animations:
- The raptor will sit down; your character scratches the raptor's neck, causing it to waggle its foot.
- The raptor jumps up curiously; your character looks around to see what startled it.
- The raptor sniffs the air and then sneezes, shaking its whole body and almost throwing your character off; your character gives it an indignant look and readjusts themselves on the saddle.
- The Raptor's theme is known as "Reins of the Raptor" in the Path of Fire soundtrack.
- It is the only mount theme composed by Maclaine Diemer in the Path of Fire soundtrack.
- Crystal Desert: Dune Rider — Unlock the raptor mount by completing the Seeker's Village task region in Crystal Oasis, and by purchasing a raptor saddle from Aksim. (5)
- Crystal Oasis: Reins of the Raptor — Now that you have your raptor, take it out to help those in need at renown hearts, and gain tasty treats for your raptor as a reward. (5)
- Seitung Province: Daigo Ward Raptor Ride — Ride a raptor from the bell in Daigo Ward to Aurene's cave in under 3 minutes without dismounting or teleporting. (3)
- Seitung Province: Derelict Temple Raptor Ride — Ride a raptor from the bell of the derelict temple to the northeastern lighthouse in under 2 minutes without dismounting or teleporting. (3)
- Seitung Province: Shing Jea Monastery Raptor Ride — Ride a raptor from the bell of the Shing Jea Monastery to the naga camp in under 4 minutes without dismounting or teleporting. (3)
- New Kaineng City: Raptor Runner: New Kaineng City — From the top of stairs leading to the Echovald Forest at the Petrified Woods, ride a raptor to the kirin statue near the Sunjiang Lab in under 1 minute without dismounting or teleporting. (3)
- The Echovald Wilds: Raptor Runner: Echovald Wilds — Ride a raptor from the front entrance of Skygazer Cathedral to Saprophyte's Pond and leap over the ledge into the archway in under one minute without dismounting or teleporting. (1 )
- Dragon's End: Raptor Ride: Chantry of the Crab — Ride a raptor from Chantry of the Crab to the top of Kaolai Tower in under 1 minute without dismounting or teleporting. (3)