Shadowstep is a mechanic that allows the user to move instantly from one location to another. Unlike teleport, most shadowstep skills require a target (some skills require a target area instead) in order to perform a move. Shadowstepping usually allows the player to move horizontally as long the position can be reached normally by moving on the ground without jumping. Unfortunately, it is not uncommon to be completely unable to use a ground targeted shadowstep skill in certain types of terrain, notably on/around many walls in WvW. Shadowstep skills will not activate if a valid path to the target point cannot be found, except when it acts as a stun breaker. Shadowstepping will also ignore Immobile effects and relocate the player, but will not cancel the condition.
Some shadowsteps require their target to be in range to execute, such as Illusionary Ambush, but other shadowsteps will move the player towards their target by up to their maximum range even if their target is out of range, such as Infiltrator's Strike.
Weapon skills that shadowstep
- Symbol of Blades — Sword
- Glacial Blow — Hammer
- Mighty Blow — Hammer
- Advancing Strike — Sword
- Deathstrike — Sword
- Unrelenting Assault — Sword
- Devour Brand — Spear
- Shadow Shot — Dagger
- Shadow Strike — Pistol
- Infiltrator's Return — Sword
- Infiltrator's Strike — Sword
- Infiltrator's Arrow — Short bow
- Ink Shot — Harpoon gun
- Smoke Trail — Harpoon gun
- Death's Advance — Rifle
- Death's Retreat — Rifle
- Measured Shot — Scepter
- Polaric Leap — Sword, when attuned to air
- Axes of Symmetry — Axe
- Axes of Symmetry — Axe
- Returning Edge — Sword
- Dark Spear — Spear
Transform skills that shadowstep
Healing skills that shadowstep
Utility skills that shadowstep
- Judge's Intervention — Meditation
- Merciful Intervention — Meditation
- Flash Combo — Physical
- Repose — Physical
- Phase Traversal — Legendary Assassin Stance
- Call to Anguish — Legendary Demon Stance
- Shift Signet — Signet
- Unnatural Traversal — Cantrip
- Shadow Return — Deception
- Shadowstep — Deception
- Infiltrator's Signet — Signet
- Shadow Swap
- Well of Bounty — Well
- Well of Silence — Well
- Well of Sorrow — Well
- Well of Tears — Well
- Blink — Manipulation
- Illusionary Ambush — Deception
- Mirage Advance — Deception
- Mirage Retreat
Elite skills that shadowstep
Profession mechanic skills that shadowstep
Pet skills that shadowstep
Common skills that shadowstep
Traits that improve shadowsteps
- Vanguard Tactics (Willbender) — Activating Courage grants resistance. Shadowstepping grants resolution and protection.
- Aggressive Agility (Devastation) — Movement skills grant resistance.
- Shadow Savior (Shadow Arts) — After completing a shadowstep, you are healed. Nearby allies are also healed for a larger amount. Only affects thief shadowsteps.
- Guarded Initiation (Acrobatics) — Movement skills grant resistance.
- Hard to Catch (Acrobatics) — Gain endurance when you shadowstep.
- Traversing Dusk (Specter) — Heal allies in the area around you when you shadowstep. Gain shadow force for each ally in the radius. Wells grant resistance on their initial impact.
- Relic of Peitha — After shadowstepping or using a deception skill, fire a blade at a nearby enemy after a short delay, applying torment and increasing your strike damage against that target.
- In the original Guild Wars, there was a mechanic with a similar effect.