World versus World
Click to enlarge.
Energy Probe before self-destruction.
Energy Probes are devices that Scarlet Briar created out of Molten Alliance magitech. She spread them across Central Tyria after the destruction of the Tower of Nightmares, using their seismic readings to determine where ley lines are located beneath the surface. When deployed, they were protected by a force field that adventurers could not penetrate, however, after the release of the Twisted Marionette a method around the force field was discovered and members of Scarlet's Alliance were sent out to repair, maintain, and defend the energy probes until they could fulfill their purpose.
Though the Energy Probes' purpose was to locate ley lines, they had the side-effect of disturbing subterranean life and awoke the ancient great three-headed wurm in Bloodtide Coast. Eventually, an energy probe in the depths of Sanctum Harbor located a hub of ley lines, which led to Scarlet Briar's attack on Lion's Arch that devastated the city.
- Diessa Plateau
- Fields of Ruin
- Blazeridge Steppes
- Iron Marches
- Fireheart Rise
- Kessex Hills
- Gendarran Fields
- Harathi Hinterlands
- Bloodtide Coast
- Southsun Cove
- Memory of Old Lion's Arch
- Brisban Wildlands
- Sparkfly Fen
- Mount Maelstrom
- Straits of Devastation
- Malchor's Leap
- Cursed Shore
- Snowden Drifts
- Lornar's Pass
- Dredgehaunt Cliffs
- Timberline Falls
- Frostgorge Sound
- This probe appears to have self-destructed.
Before The Origins of Madness
- On knockback interaction
- What part of "DO NOT TOUCH" was unclear?
- On defeated interaction
- Tsk, tsk. Let that be a lesson to mind your own beeswax.
- The Origins of Madness: Energy Probe Defender Slayer — Defeat 50 energy-probe defenders. Alternately, defeat 50 attackers during the Twisted Marionette battle. (8 )
- The Origins of Madness: Energy Probe Dismantler — Destroy energy probes or investigate energy probe wreckage in different map. (5 )
- Originally added with the Fractured release, with the name DO NOT TOUCH.
- Upon interaction, characters would be launched back and dialogue would appear. Upon the tenth interaction, players would be defeated with a different dialogue pop up.
- During A Very Merry Wintersday 2013 release, they were renamed to Mysterious Probe.
- During The Origins of Madness release, they were renamed to Energy Probe and became destructible objects. They were defended by various members of Scarlet's Alliance and would drop 1-3 Power Core Components after their destruction.
- They had a 10 minute respawn timer after being destroyed.
- Slowly over time from The Edge of the Mists until Escape from Lion's Arch release, the various Energy Probes self-destructed, until all of them had been destroyed (their current state).