Khan-Ur, or the primus imperator, is the title used by the supreme ruler of the charr; underneath the Khan-Ur lie the imperators. The Claw of the Khan-Ur is the weapon of the Khan-Ur; having it is one of the requirements for a charr to become a Khan-Ur, another being performing a great act to show the individual's power.
There has been only one true Khan-Ur, whose name is never mentioned and is only referred to as "the Khan-Ur." The Khan-Ur unified the warbands and had the charr spread throughout the northern reaches of their homeland down into the lands east of the Shiverpeak Mountains. In the early days of the charr empire, the united warbands subjugated or destroyed any and all who dared defy them within their territories with the exception of the Forgotten. With dominance, however, came the inevitable problems. Internal strife, reckless power-mongering, and brutal feuds threatened to tear apart this otherwise secure empire. Only the strong personality of the Khan-Ur kept the charr from falling into squabbling factions.
The arrival of humans on the Tyrian continent changed the balance of power, however, as humanity used magic to their advantage to drive the charr out of Ascalon circa 100 BE. Undaunted, and now truly united against a common foe, the charr prepared to launch a bitter counterstrike, intending to burn everything in their retreat. However, as they planned the assault, the Khan-Ur was assassinated. It is not known who murdered the last Khan-Ur, nor if some legion had been behind the assassination or if was the humans or their gods. With the Khan-Ur's death, however, the legions once more fell into conflict and chaos. In the wake over the power void, the four children of the Khan-Ur squabbled among themselves and ultimately divided the empire into regions controlled by their respective High Legions in their futile attempts to claim the title of Khan-Ur and regain control of all the charr legions.
Although a few charr have attempted to claim the title of Khan-Ur since, none have been able to hold it or unite the charr under a single banner.
- Khan was the title for the Mongol leader, similar to the charr title of Khan-Ur.
- Genghis Khan was a Mongol leader who unified the nomadic tribes of Northeast Asia, and whose bloodline created an empire that covered large parts of Asia, the Middle East, and Europe.
- Khan-Ur in used in various charr phrases such as "By the Khan-Ur's severed claw", "Blood of the Khan-Ur", and "Khan-Ur's bones."
- Associated items
- ^ The Ecology of the Charr
- ^ Timeline
- ^ Introducing Guild Wars 2's Charr, Gameplanet.co.nz
- ^ The Legions of the Charr: Chain of Command
- ^ TowerTalk LoreSpecial: Charr, Wartower.de at the Wayback Machine (archived February 8, 2018)
- ^ Deadly Force Galina Edgecrusher: You did well. I thought for sure that we'd lost Cimmara. You've got the courage of the Khan-ur, you do.
- ^ A Spy for a Spy Yahuk Fellstrike: You look much better now. Blood of the Khan-ur, you saved my life.
- ^ Ghostbore Musket Craze Steelgrinder: By the Khan-Ur's severed claw. That was amazing!
- ^ Scrapyard Dogs Maverick: Khan-Ur's bones! That old lady's a pistol, isn't she? Hilarious!