Channel legendary powers to slaughter foes and unleash chaos on the battlefield with our brand new profession: the revenant. Enter the field of battle heavily armored and equipped with the otherworldly powers of the Mists.
Revenants channel the power of the Mists. As a soldier profession, revenants wear heavy armor. The revenant profession is available to players who have purchased the Heart of Thorns or Path of Fire expansion.
Revenants can channel the Mists to invoke the powers of certain legendary figures of the past.
Revenants use a resource called energy, which regenerates over time. Activating skills uses energy, some even degenerating energy while active, making energy management critical for gameplay.
The revenant can have two legendary stances equipped, and of these only one can be active at any given time. As well as weapon swapping they can swap between channeling two legends. Channeling replaces the last five skill slots on the skill bar, depending on the current legend: the healing skill, three utility skills, and the elite skill. Revenant traits tend to synergize with the skill set, similar to a skill type.
When channeling a legend, the interface changes slightly to reflect the legend channeled. For instance, when channeling Jalis, ice spikes are seen behind the utility skills, while when channeling Ventari, yellow leaves can be seen.
- Legendary Assassin Stance — Invoke the power of the legendary assassin Shiro Tagachi.
- Legendary Centaur Stance — Invoke the power of the legendary centaur Ventari.
- Legendary Demon Stance — Invoke the power of the legendary demon Mallyx the Unyielding.
- Legendary Dwarf Stance — Invoke the power of the legendary dwarf king Jalis Ironhammer.
- Legendary Dragon Stance — Invoke the power of the legendary dragon Glint. (Herald specialization only)
- Legendary Renegade Stance - Invoke the power of the legendary charr renegade, Kalla Scorchrazor. (Renegade specialization only)
Unique skill types
Due to the unique nature of the Revenant's mechanics, Revenant skills are classified according to their Legend. Thus, each Legend is also a unique skill type. See the above Legends section for more details.
This mechanic also results in Revenants not having access to Common and Racial Skills.
The revenant has five core specializations, and two elite specializations:
- Devastation — associated with Legendary Assassin Stance. Focuses on improving damage to enemies with vulnerability. Benefits sword and dual-wielding.
- Corruption — associated with Legendary Demon Stance. Focuses on critical hits and conditions. Benefits mace.
- Retribution — associated with Legendary Dwarf Stance. Focuses on reducing and returning incoming damage. Benefits when you are struck.
- Salvation — associated with Legendary Centaur Stance. Focuses on healing and support. Benefits staff.
- Invocation — focuses on Fury. Benefits when invoking a legend.
- Herald — focuses on boon sharing based on the facets of Glint. Gains access to shields and the Legendary Dragon Stance.
- Renegade - Gains access to short bows and the Legendary Renegade Stance.
The revenant is a soldier profession and wears heavy armor.
- Axe — Focuses on giving conditions and crowd control foes. Works well with Legendary Demon Stance.
- Sword — Delivers high burst damage, along with immobilize, chill, and slow. Works well with Legendary Assassin Stance.
- Shield — Defensive weapon used to help survivability for you and your allies. Works well with Legendary Dragon Stance. (Herald specialization only)
- Hammer — Functions as a ranged weapon, good for ranged combat, area damage and projectile block. Works well with Legendary Dwarf Stance.
- Short bow — Inflict conditions and damage on foes at long-medium range. Works well with Legendary Renegade Stance. (Renegade specialization only)
- Staff — Supportive weapon with close combat attacks, healing and crowd control. Works well with Legendary Centaur Stance.
The following crafting disciplines can create items that are useful to the revenant:
- Weaponsmith — Maces, spears, swords, axes, shields, hammers.
- Huntsman — Short bow. (Requires Renegade trait line unlocked.)
- Artificer — Staves.
- Armorsmith — Heavy armor.
- Jeweler — Jewelry.
- Chef — Food.
|I fight with my _____ blindfold on to shut out the distractions of the physical world and focus my magical inner sight.|
|Mist Scrim ("mist scrim") — Simple, straightfoward, and utterly effective, this blindfold is preferred by revenants who rely on utility and efficiency to get results.|
|Veil Piercer ("veil piercer") — Form follows function with this blindfold, designed both to cover a revenant's eyes and help punch through the barriers that conceal the unseen.|
|Resplendent Curtain ("resplendent curtain") — The resplendent curtain is for revenants who choose to make a more elegant and stylish impression; because even if they can't see the world around them, it can still see them.|
Battle Stance 
Glint elite skill 
Mallyx elite skill 
Legendary Dwarf Stance, UI swap-to animation 
Legendary Demon Stance, UI swap-to animation 
- In folklore, a revenant is someone who returns from a long absence, often from death or in a supernatural way.
- Rytlock Brimstone is the first revenant.
- A few elements of the revenant's unique mechanics stem from Guild Wars mechanics, such as energy and upkeep. The profession itself bears many similarities to the ritualist from Guild Wars Factions, who could channel spirits from the Mists and often wore blindfolds to help them focus.
- Revenants were originally unable to weapon swap, like elementalists and engineers; however this was changed following player feedback. 
- The Revenant's icon resembles a "third eye", and symbolizes enlightenment. 
- Although they can only use spears, Revenants have 2 underwater weapon slots, allowing them to swap underwater weapons. Also notable, only 2 Legends are currently usable underwater: Assassin and Demon.
- Like the Engineer, Revenant has no access to signets. However, facets expand upon the concept, featuring similar passive (upkeep) and active (blast) interaction, as well as having very similar skill icon artwork. In that way, Herald can be considered a 5-signet Revenant.
- As of the August 8th, 2017 patch, you can have idle conversations with the channeled legends. See each legend's individual page for dialogue.
- Every Revenant's legend has at least one skill which has an upkeep.
- Revenant on the official website.
- Initial overview of the Revenant on the official website.
- Hidden Arcana: Role-Playing the Revenant on the official website
- ^ Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire FAQ
- ^ PAX South presentation analysis in www.eurogamer.net
- ^ a b c d e Image filenames at NCSOFT's press website
- ^ a b c d Guild Wars 2 - Points of Interest: Episode 17
- ^ Forum post by Roy Cronacher
- ^ Forum post by Roy Cronacher