Over 250 years ago, when the norn still lived in the Far Shiverpeaks, the lake was treated as forbidden territory. Around 1078 AE, the norn siblings Svanir and Jora were hunting wolves which ran across the lake. As the siblings crossed the lake, they felt an ancient, and bitter cold, power in the area. Svanir performed a simple spell to reveal the nature of the power they felt, which drew Drakkar's attention, and sent Jormag's power into them. Jora resisted the power, and was in turn cursed, incapable of Becoming the Bear, while Svanir accepted the power and was transformed into the Nornbear and a new champion of Jormag.
Around 1165 AE, when Jormag awoke to the far north and made its way south, it shattered and sunk portions of the Far Shiverpeak Mountains, flooding the place with a large inland sea. Drakkar Lake was part of the Shiverpeaks consumed by this sea. Though the body of water has grown greatly, consuming landmarks such as Sifhalla, it is still called Drakkar Lake by the norn, and has since re-frozen by Jormag's draconic ice magic.
- ^ Stéphane Lo Presti and Jeff Grubb, Guild Wars 2 Guru; links broke - image of posts:    
- ^ Jora's Curse
- ^ "Chapter 18: The Calm Before", Edge of Destiny by J. Robert King:
- "Two hundred fifty years ago, a hunter named Svanir and his sister Jora led a band of norn to slay the wolves that ruled Drakkar Lake. They were crossing the frozen waters when a strange presence grasped Svanir's mind. It whispered seductions to him, promised power and prey. It was a voice of infinite hunger and hate, and Svanir listened to it.
- "Jora heard the voice, too, but it terrified her. She refused its dark gifts and tried to drag her brother away, but he struck her and told her she was weak, told her he had discovered the well of power. She fled.
- "Svanir remained to commune with his newfound lord. In time, the voice began to change him. It taught him to hate all living things. It stripped him of his human form and made him a champion—half bear, half norn, encrusted with ice. Svanir wandered the wastes in madness, attacking any who came near. He became a monster that his own sister had to destroy.
- "Over the next hundred fifty years, the voice seduced more norn, and they joined the cult, becoming the Sons of Svanir. They believed they were drawing upon the ancient voice, but in fact it was drawing upon them, gaining the power to rise.
- "And it did rise. One of the Elder Dragons. Jormag was its name.
- "We fought Jormag—gladly we fought it, for norn are made for battle. But never had we fought a beast like this. It was a living blizzard. It and its minions froze us where we fought and buried our lands in snow and ice and tore apart Gunnar's Hold with a massive glacier. It took our lands. It drove us south.
- "And despite the destruction, there are still foolish norn who hear the call of Svanir and seek the power of Jormag. In the end they are reduced to icebrood themselves, flesh wrapped in ice, fed by malevolence and hatred."