Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons
The dragon cycle that has sustained and blighted Tyria for ages is collapsing. Mortal hearts and choices will define this moment in history—and echo in the future forever. Unlock skiffs, fishing, and your own jade bot, and explore four new zones in the nation of Cantha. You’ll also gain access to free content that continues the expansion's story.
Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons is the third expansion pack for Guild Wars 2. It was announced on March 12, 2020. Its title, along with a teaser trailer, was revealed on August 25, 2020. The release date was on Monday, February 28, 2022 at 17:00 UTC+00:00.
- External source — creating a new account or upgrading an existing account requires the redemption of the serial code
- In-game panel — upgrading an existing account will automatically be applied to the account used to purchase the upgrade
- Editions available
- Standard Edition ($29.99 / €29,99 / £25.99)
- Deluxe Edition ($54.99 / €54,99 / £47.99)
- Ultimate Edition ($79.99 / €79,99 / £69.99)
- Collection Standard Edition ($49.99 / €49,99 / £43.99)
- Collection Deluxe Edition ($74.99 / €74,99 / £64.99)
- Collection Ultimate Edition ($99.99 / €99,99 / £86.99)
|Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons (expansion)||1||1||1||1||1||1|
|Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns & Path of Fire (expansions)||0||0||0||1||1||1|
|Shared Inventory Slot||1||1||1||1||1||1|
|Max Level Boost||1||1||1||1||1||1|
|Additional Character Slot||0||1||1||0||1||1|
|Shing Jea Dragon Boat Skiff Skin||0||1||1||0||1||1|
|Canthan Raptor Skin||0||1||1||0||1||1|
|Identity Repair Kit||0||1||1||0||1||1|
|4000 Gems ($50 / €50 / £42.50 value)||0||0||1||0||0||1|
Upgrading to Deluxe Edition
Players who have bought the Standard version of the expansion can choose to upgrade to the Deluxe version via the Black Lion Trading Company for 2,400 . You cannot upgrade to Ultimate from either Standard or Deluxe.
- Primary article: End of Dragons story
Over two centuries ago, the Empire of the Dragon severed all bonds with central Tyria and Elona. Cantha has its own history of turmoil and triumph, reflected in ancient landmarks, enduring artistry, and modern life. The Jade Wind petrified everything it touched, devastating the southeastern coastal regions. A stone sea holds no food—but it’s absorbed centuries of magic. Canthan innovators have long sought practical applications for the material now known as “dragonjade”, achieving solutions undreamed of elsewhere in the world. New innovations are on the horizon…
Canthan scholars, adventurers, and soldiers have developed unique disciplines for each of the nine professions. Some traditions have been refined over the centuries, while others have adapted to recent technology and changes in the world. Combat specialists from Cantha and abroad will find great opportunities to exchange stories and share knowledge.
Nine new elite specializations, one for every profession
- Guardian: Willbender (offhand sword, stance-like virtues, physicals)
- Revenant: Vindicator (greatsword, Legendary Alliance Stance with dual legends, altered dodge)
- Warrior: Bladesworn (offhand pistol, gunsaber, armaments)
- Engineer: Mechanist (mainhand mace, signets, jade mech)
- Ranger: Untamed (hammer, cantrips, unleash pet)
- Thief: Specter (scepter, shadow shroud, wells)
- Elementalist: Catalyst (hammer, augments, jade sphere)
- Mesmer: Virtuoso (mainhand dagger, bladesong replacing shatter, blades replacing clones, psionic)
- Necromancer: Harbinger (mainhand pistol, Harbinger Shroud replacing Death Shroud, elixirs)
Additional profession: Revenant
- The revenant profession is available with the expansion.
- A third heavy armor profession that channels and controls the power of the Mists.
- Channels the power of great legends from Guild Wars past, and uses those to power the skills it has available.
- When channeling a legend, the player's heal, utility, and elite skills change based on the legend, defining the role the revenant plays in combat.
- The Siege Turtle — a new, two-person combat mount as part of the mastery system
- Two mounts originally from Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire are available, with only the base mastery:
- See also: End of Dragons mastery tracks
- Skiffs — portable boats you can take anywhere
- Fishing — find fish anywhere in the world
- Siege Turtle — two-player mount
- Arborstone Revitalization — revitalize the Arborstone, a new multiplayer hub for story, Strike Missions and other content
- Jade Bots — customize your own Jade Bot with multiple mastery tiers, from lifting you up while gliding, speeding your mounts and skiffs to allowing you to take scenic shots
- Gliding — originally available in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns, its base mastery is available
- Generation 3 of Legendary Weapons — Up your arsenal with new spectacular sets of third generation legendary weapons and precursors.
- All 16 of these legendary weapons are themed after Aurene, with appearances themed after the other Elder Dragons, whose magic Aurene had absorbed, coming after launch.
- Each weapon has to be forged only once, other variants will be acquired via a journey to attune them.
- The precursors and weapons themselves can be put up for sale on the Trading Post and be acquired from there.
- New armor sets and skins — End of Dragons armor
- New weapon sets and skins — End of Dragons weapons
- New attribute combinations — Dragon's, Ritualist's
- New minis — End of Dragons miniatures
- Lead a fierce squad, battle, earn enticing rewards, and be a reckoning force.
- 4 strikes at launch:
- Challenge modes for strikes shortly after launch, as well as additional extra difficulty achievements within challenge modes.
- Strike Missions now award a single currency to be spent on Strike Mission-specific rewards, including any unique drops
- New juvenile pets — Phoenix, Siege Turtle, Wallow, White Tiger
- Community-created event
- Guild hall — Stake a new guild domicile—in re-imagined Canthan nostalgia.
Additional releases launched at a later date, which unlock further content for everyone that owns End of Dragons:
First screenshot from End of Dragons
- Concept art
- Primary article: Category:End of Dragons concept art
Shing Jea, "I know you and yet I don't."
Echovald Forest, "Strange familiarity."
Echovald Forest, "A song half remembered."
An unnamed island, "The wheel turns."
Concept art by Salvatorre Yazzie.
Concept art by Matthew Pugnetti.
Siege Turtle concept art by Matthew Pugnetti.
Concept art of a Canthan settlement.
Strike Mission concept art.
- Despite the expansion's name, it has been stated by the developers and the Studio Director that End of Dragons is not the end of the Guild Wars 2 storyline nor the end of the game development.
- Connor Fallon has the title of Story Design Lead on the project.
- Kwan Perng has the title of Narrative Lead on the project.
- The Sunqua Peak Fractal is supposed to give players a first taste of Cantha without spoiling the visit in End of Dragons.
- The fractal originally contained new assets from the End of Dragons expansion; however, they were removed from the final version of the fractal.
- During the Extra Life 2020 charity stream:
- Echovald Forest and Shing Jea were confirmed by Matthew Medina and Tracey West to be explorable.
- It was hinted that there were several easter eggs not yet discovered in the trailer for End of Dragons. Soon after, a flag with an icon looking like the Aetherblades emblem was found, and was confirmed to be correct later during the stream by Rubi Bayer.
- Four beta events were available for all players to participate in between August and December 2021.
- Maclaine Diemer and Lena Raine have returned to compose music for the expansion.
- Pre-purchase became available on July 27, 2021 and accounts that pre-purchased any edition received:
- End of Dragons has managed to outsell Path of Fire, the previous expansion, one month after its release.
- Official Website
- Official Expansion Teaser
- Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons Expansion Trailer
- Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons Gameplay Features Trailer
- Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons Launch Trailer
- Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons Strike Missions, Balance, and Rewards
- Composing the Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons Soundtrack
- Animated version of the Shing Jea Concept art
- Previews and interview
- Guild Wars 2 reveals the Guardian’s new elite spec, Willbender, and new Virtuoso and Harbinger details, Massivelyop.com
- Guild Wars 2's new Siege Turtle could be the best MMO mount yet, Pcgamer.com
- Flameseeker Chronicles: Touring Guild Wars 2’s End of Dragons guild hall, Echovald Wilds, and strike mission, Massivelyop.com
- ‘Guild Wars 2: End Of Dragons’ preview: Cantha is all about togetherness, NME.com
- Hands-on with Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons’ newly unveiled jade bots mastery, Massivelyop.com
- Guild Wars 2 End Of Dragons Preview – Why We're Excited For the Jade Tech Revolution, Gamespace.com
- Interview: Talking Guild Wars 2 End of Dragons’ soundtrack with lead composer Maclaine Diemer, Massivelyop.com
- Guild Wars 2 Developer Interview - Time to Forget The Dragon Cycle, Gamespace.com
- ^ Looking Ahead to Spring, Summer, and the Future, GuildWars2.com
- ^ Watch the Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons Gameplay Features Trailer, GuildWars2.com
- ^ Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons Gameplay Features Trailer, YouTube.com
- ^ a b c d Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons, GuildWars2.com
- ^ a b c Confirmed by Matthew Medina and Tracey West, Twitch.tv
- ^ a b c d Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons Winter Livestream Broadcast Schedule, GuildWars2.com
- ^ Guild Wars 2 Elder Dragon Saga Expansion Sale, Guildwars2.com
- ^ a b Guild Chat 111: Shing Jea Island, YouTube.com
- ^ Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons Launch Month Livestream Schedule, GuildWars2.com
- ^ Guild Wars 2 Live: Summer 2021, GuildWars2.com
- ^ A Closer Look at the Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons Legendary Weapons, GuildWars2.com
- ^ "For players looking for this, End Of Dragons will launch with four strike missions that Arena Net says are “heavily integrated” into the expansion’s story.", NME.com
- ^ a b ArenaNet Studio Update: July 2021, Guildwars2.com
- ^ a b c d e f Names taken from official site and meta data.
- ^ Tweet by Da-Hee Im, Twitter.com
- ^ Comment by Rubi Bayer, Guild Wars 2 Forums
- ^ Comment by Bobby Stein, Reddit.com
- As of now, from what I've been told by those who make these decisions, it's not the end of the game, either. — Bobby Stein
- ^ End of Dragons First Look
- Colin Johanson: As a final note for me, though this expansion is named End of Dragons, I want to be abundantly clear this is not the end of Guild Wars 2. We view End of Dragons as the next big stepping stone for this franchise, and we think the best is yet to come. There is plenty more coming after End of Dragons in Guild Wars 2. We're not going to tell you about any of it today, but we're very excited for you all to get to check it out someday.
- ^ Comment by Bobby Stein, Guild Wars 2 Forums
- ^ Connor Fallon profile, LinkedIn.com
- ^ Kwan Perng profile, LinkedIn.com
- ^ Sunqua Peak: Journey to a Sacred Land, Guildwars2.com
- ^ Sunqua Peak Development, YouTube.com
- ^ Tweet by Maclaine Diemer, Twitter.com
- ^ Tweet by Lena Raine, Twitter.com
- ^ Prepurchase Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons, GuildWars2.com
- ^ ArenaNet Studio Update: The Future of Guild Wars 2, GuildWars2.com