Research and Destroy
Research and Destroy
Join the Priory's effort to destroy the dragon crystal.
- Meet Yahala near Lawen Ponds.
- Investigate the site marked by Yahala.
- Investigate the next site marked by Yahala.
- Defeat  reanimated corpse of Howl the Brazen.
- Defeat Necromancer Rissa.
- Destroy the Dragon Crystal.
After the cutscene there will be a quest icon marked on the map. Just travel there to update the quest. It is possible to avoid most of the undead and killing them is not needed to advance the mission, but there will be undead on top of the marked spots. After reaching the spot another marker will appear, and after that one a third marker will appear. At this third marker is Howl. Kill him and Rissa appears. Kill her then walk up to the dragon crystal in the cave behind her. Use the crystal to apply the poison and complete the mission.
- From Howl to Silence Hero Achievement obtained.
Click here to edit the reward data
- All professions
- Crusader Gahn Towerbreaker
- Korukhan the Blacksmith
- Rytlock Brimstone
- Scholar Yahala Scribepaw
- Chosen sparring partner:
On entering the instance:
- Depending on your sparring partner:
- Clawspur: So, you've joined the scholars, eh? You always were a smart one.
- Dinky: You joined the Priory? All right! I feel smarter just standing next to you.
- Euryale: Joined the Priory, eh? Figures. You're smarter than any ten of them. Congratulations.
- Maverick: The Priory, huh? Smart choice. And once they make you smarter, you'll be livin' large, Maverick-style.
- Reeva: Hey, you chose the Priory! Get out there and show 'em what real smarts look like!
Speaking to Scholar Yahala Scribepaw (cinematic):
- Scholar Yahala Scribepaw: Welcome, Centurion...or rather, novice. We've got the undead detector and the reagent to destroy the dragon crystal. Now that you're here, we'll begin.
- Rytlock Brimstone: Hold on. The Vigil insisted that you wait for them, and I agree. Without backup, you people are vulnerable.
- Scholar Yahala Scribepaw: I see no reason to delay. We have what we need, and our problem gets more dangerous with each wasted moment.
- Rytlock Brimstone: All right, but I'm coming with you. I'd rather have a full Vigil squad with us, but if the centurion has no objections, we'll move out.
- <Character name>: No objections, sir. I'm ready. We'll find the crystal and destroy it. And if we're lucky, we'll also find Howl.
- Scholar Yahala Scribepaw: Then we're all agreed. Now let's show my peers how effective our newest novice can be.
Talking to your sparring partner:
- Clawspur: No shortage of targets here.
- Save your best efforts for the ones that really count: Howl and the necromancer.
- Dinky: I just heard somebody call Rytlock a "soldier's soldier," but that's what we used to call Howl. Can there be more than one?
- Howl's long gone. When we're done here, there'll be only one again.
- Euryale: This is how it ought to be: the entire warband, fighting side-by-side. Let's see if these new recruits can live up to the standard we've set.
- I know they can. Come on. It's time to close the book on Howl and his amulet.
- Maverick: This is a real turning point: you're poised to make a big splash as a Vigil recruit, and I'm poised to become the sexiest legionnaire in the entire charr army...present compant excepted, of course.
- Just remember, Mav: a good leader stops talking every now and then to listen.
- Reeva: I love it when the warband goes out fighting. I hate the reason, but you know me: I like to find the upside.
- I'll see the upside after we put Howl and that necromancer down for good.
Speaking to other NPCs:
- Scholar Yahala Scribepaw: So, to review: this device will call out any large pockets of necromantic energy. That should lead us to the dragon crystal, which we will then destroy with our potion. Ready?
- Ready. Let's go.
- Crusader Gahn Towerbreaker: That was brutal. We lost some of our best soldiers out there.
- This is war—but the Priory is working to win it with fewer casualties.
When approaching Korukhan the Blacksmith:
- Whispers Agent: Multiple undead contacts sighted!
- Whispers Agent: A horde of undead in the swamp!
- Whispers Agent: Too many undead for me to handle.
- Whispers Agent: Disgusting undead everywhere! And they smell worse than the most rotted rot I can imagine.
When approaching Howl the Brazen:
- Scholar Yahala Scribepaw: (groan) I think we just located your fallen comrade. And the amulet he wore.
Upon reaching Howl the Brazen (cinematic):
- <Character name>: Howl! Can you hear me? Do you understand? Give me a sign that you're still you, or I'll have to...look, just say something!
- Howl the Brazen: Hunger...it hungers...WE hunger...
- Rytlock Brimstone: He's gone, Centurion. The corruption's got him. That's not the soldier you knew.
- <Character name>: Yeah...and this thing insults his memory. Howl was a good soldier, and my comrade. I'm not leaving him like this.
After defeating Howl the Brazen:
- Scholar Yahala Scribepaw: I'm sorry about your comrade. You did the right thing, though. At least now he's at peace.
- Necromancer Rissa: You've done well so far, but now you die! Die, and live again as my slave!
- Necromancer Rissa threatens <Character name>.
Interacting with the dragon crystal:
- Unknown: Normal weapons cannot break the extraordinary material of this crystal.
- Apply the potion to the crystal.
After destroying the dragon crystal (cinematic):
- Scholar Yahala Scribepaw: Congratulations! Despite a few hiccups, it turned out well. Your comrade is at rest, and we stemmed the undead tide.
- Rytlock Brimstone: For now. The Orrian dragon won't be so easy, and it's making enough undead to flood the entire world.
- <Character name>: If the dragon is the problem, then we need to treat it like we did the crystal. Destroy it, and we cut off the flow of undead at the source.
- Scholar Yahala Scribepaw: That is the ultimate goal. But we're nowhere near read. We don't know enough to devise and execute a winning strategy.
- Rytlock Brimstone: Don't tell me about dragons, scholar. Ever heard of Destiny's Edge? I was a member. We nearly took down an Elder Dragon all on our own.
- <Character name>: Then share that experience. We have to pool our knowledge if we're going to defeat the dragon.
- Rytlock Brimstone: You're right. The charr can't do this alone. Fortunately, I heard from one of my old guildmates. She wants to meet in Lion's Arch about that very thing.
- Scholar Yahala Scribepaw: Lion's Arch is also your next stop, recruit. There's a Priory contact waiting with your first official mission. It's been a pleasure working with you. Good luck.
- Rytlock Brimstone: I'll keep an eye out for you in the city. If we're lucky, we'll get another chance to fight together. Do the Legions proud, soldier. Dismissed!
Speaking with your allies after the final cinematic:
- Scholar Yahala Scribepaw: Fine work today, Centurion...excuse me, "Novice." You and the Priory are going to be a superlative combination. Good luck in Lion's Arch.
- Thanks, Yahala.
- Clawspur: If I'm in charge, they'd better learn to listen. I don't like repeating myself.
- No worries. They'll adjust to your chatty style in no time. Good luck, Legionnaire.
- Reeva: So, you're off to Lion's Arch to join the Priory now? I think I speak for the whole warband when I say: Boo! Even with the promotion you gave me, this stinks.
- Cheer up, Reeva. You'll have this warband partying over enemy corpses in no time.