- 1328 AE
- Heart of Thorns
- Strange Observations
- Chak Hollow
Click to enlarge
Discover the secrets this area of the jungle holds.
- Search for your friends.
- Find Taimi before something happens to her.
- Use mushrooms to lure saurians from their caves: x/4
- Share the news of Rata Novus with the rest of your party.
- One of three rare recipe books: Viper's Armor Recipe Book, Viper's Weapon Recipe Book, or Viper's Jewelry Recipe Book
- Bag of Auric Basin Supplies (3)
- Golden Backpack Buckle
- Pile of Auric Dust (5)
- Writ of Maguuma Mastery (on first completion only)
After speaking with Marjory, use the Bouncing Mushrooms to leap up the hill and then avoid the glowing spike traps. Getting caught in one will damage and cripple you and spawn a Mordrem Guard Sniper, a Mordrem Healer and a Mordrem Guard Herald or Mordrem Guard Tormentor.
Once you're past the traps, you'll find a pair of Mordrem Controllers nurturing Immature Mordrem Wolves. The wolves die easily but have might and regeneration. The controllers function similarly to the Tormenters, but the pedestals they're standing on apply massive poison debuffs, so ranging them down is the safest bet.
Taimi needs bones, and you're going to use the mushrooms at the cave mouths to draw out the saurians. Bristlebacks, Rolling Devils, or Smokescales can spawn. They come alone and can be handled as they would be normally. Once you've killed four and used their bones on the inactive pylons, you'll reactivate the apparatus and get to watch some lengthy dialogue.
Then reunite with the party. Do not use the available waypoint, as this places you outside of the instance. Instead, escort Taimi out and to the left through a tunnel.
- Available on the first play through
|Strange Observations||Heart of Thorns: Act 2||10|
|Follow Taimi's trail further into the jungle.Journal: Strange Observations Completed||Completed Strange Observations||0|
- Complete the story chapter.
- Available on subsequent visits
|Avoid Traps||Heart of Thorns: Act 2||5|
|Find Taimi without stepping on any Mordrem traps.Story Instance: "Strange Observations"
||Found Taimi without Falling Victim to a Mordrem Ambush||5|
- The spike traps will trigger when active and your character is on them. Time your movements or use teleports.
- The Druid's Ancestral Grace can be used to bypass the traps. Although you will still trigger the traps as a wisp, and the "Qualify for..." effect disappears, you won't be caught up in the traps, and still get the achievement.
- Scale the ledges on the left side of the first set of traps. From there, glide to the right side of the doorway to land on a small spot that will allow you to scale the boulders over the first set of traps. While up top, use jumps and glides to get on top of a boulder that overlooks the area before the second set of traps. Glide down through the tunnel and over the traps.
- Achievement qualification may be tracked via the Qualify for Avoid Traps effect.
|Mordremoth Usurper||Heart of Thorns: Act 2||5|
|Usurp the Mordremoth controllers' positions and use their power to kill Mordrem wolves.Story Instance: "Strange Observations"
||Used Mordremoth's Power to Kill Its Minions||5|
- While the controllers are on the platforms, you will be knocked off when you try to stand on them. The controllers grant might and regen to the wolves, and fire tormenting projectiles and lay down crippling expanding fields. Upon death, they enrage nearby wolves.
- While standing on the platforms, you will be applied with a poison debuff and your weapon skills will be replaced with Focused Corruption. Use that skill to kill the wolves, and optionally the controllers. If the wolves die from other sources of damage, the achievement will fail.
- Achievement qualification may be tracked via the Qualify for Mordremoth Usurper effect.
|Mushroom Conservationist||Heart of Thorns: Act 2||5|
|Help Taimi collect saurian bones without using more than 4 mushrooms.Story Instance: "Strange Observations"
||Trapped Saurians without Using Excess Bait||5|
- Tasty Mushrooms only last for 30 seconds both as a bundle and on the ground. Throwing the mushroom or picking up the thrown mushroom resets the timer. Dropping the bundle using weapon swap destroys the bundle. One mushroom can be used to lure up to 6 saurians by utilizing the timer, allowing a larger margin of error.
- Saurian Bones only last for 60 seconds after killing the saurian. Picking the bone does not reset the timer. Dropping the bundle using weapon swap destroys the bundle.
- Basically, pick up a tasty mushroom, move in to a cave, toss the mushroom at your feet, then pick it up again when the saurian spawns and move to the next cave. After you spawn 4 saurians, you can get rid of the mushroom and kill each one by one and complete the task and achievement.
- Achievement qualification may be tracked via the Qualify for Mushroom Conservationist effect.
- Approaching Marjory
- Marjory Delaqua: Fancy meeting you here. How'd it go?
- <Character name>: Took a little doing, but the egg is secure. Faolain?
- Marjory Delaqua: Still out there, unfortunately. She disappeared before we could take her down; if we could take her down, that is.
- Marjory Delaqua: I'm not sure how that fight would have ended up with you gone.
- Marjory Delaqua: What Mordremoth did to her, changing her into a Vinetooth like that... She packs a punch, let me tell you.
- <Character name>: Yeah, just when I thought Faolain couldn't get any worse... What about Caithe?
- Marjory Delaqua: In typical Caithe fashion, she slipped away during the fight.
- <Character name>: I'm sure we'll find her soon enough. That one never stays underground for long. Where's everyone else?
- Marjory Delaqua: They're around. Taimi's wandered off, so we're looking for her.
- <Character name>: Here?
- Marjory Delaqua: Yeah, you know Taimi. She does things her own way and in her own time.
- <Character name>: And it does tend to work out somehow. Those holograms back there were ingenious!
- Marjory Delaqua: No one has search up on the hill, if you want to help.
- <Character name>: Great. If you see the others, tell them we'll meet up on the path.
- Searching for Taimi
- <Character name>: Taimi's out here alone? I better find her soon.
- Standing on the controller
- <Character name>: So many Mordrem!
- Finding Taimi
- Taimi: There you are! I've been hoping to show you this!
- <Character name>: Thanks for the trail. What are you doing out here by yourself?
- Taimi: I'm quite capable on my own. And this place is fascinating!
- (one of the following)
- <Character name>: What?
- <Character name>: What is it?
- Taimi: I don't know...yet. But...it's an odd combination of Exalted and asuran magitech.
- Taimi: I think it's a data station, but it's powered down. I noticed that some of the flow connectors have...degraded.
- Taimi: Weather will do that over time. I could repair it and get the magic streaming again if I had the right components.
- Taimi: I just need something conductive...like maluranium wire, corrogen filaments, or saurian bones.
- Taimi: Please, can you help me find some? It'll be SO worth it.
- <Character name>: Saurian bones. Those, I can get for you.
- After reactivating the device
- Kiru: Greetings, I am Kiru.
- Taimi: Whoa! Where did—?
- Kiru: I detected this apparatus coming online and made my way here.
- Kiru: It's been inactive for quite some time. I couldn't locate any corrogen filaments.
- Kiru: Are you two responsible for turning it on?
- Taimi: Yeah, I...uh, we are responsible.
- <Character name>: What are those glowing dots?
- Kiru: Those, egg bearer, are ley-energy concentrations.
- Taimi: Ley-energy concentrations... Hmm. So this is a map? Ah, I see. This one is here, and that one is Tarir. What's this one?
- Kiru: That one is... Ah, it's the jungle dragon.
- Taimi: It's larger than the rest.
- Kiru: The beast is hungry. And judging by the assaults on Tarir, I fear we're caught in its maw.
- <Character name>: All of Tyria is in danger of being swallowed. Consuming so much ley energy... Mordremoth is stronger than I thought.
- <Character name>: Look at what happened to the fleet...
- <Character name>: Troubling to think the jungle dragon is somehow more powerful than Zhaitan.
- Taimi: Troubling? You're freaking me out over here!
- <Character name>: Sorry, Taimi. At least we know where to go to face the dragon now.
- Taimi: Yeah, that makes it better. Next thing you're going to tell me is this other dot is another Elder Dragon!
- Kiru: That one? Why that's your city.
- Taimi: Uh, I think I know where Rata Sum is...
- Kiru: Sum? No... This city is called Rata Novus.
- Kiru: The asura there are our allies; they aided in the construction of this very device.
- Taimi: Novus? Novus! Eureka! Do you know what this means? Do you? By Gadd, we've found it! Are they here now?
- Kiru: You're the first of your kind I've seen since we woke up.
- Taimi: What were they doing here?
- Kiru: They were seeking ways to kill Elder Dragons, and we were seeking greater protection from them. An alliance was natural.
- If asura:
- <Character Name>: It can't be. Can it?
- If charr or norn:
- <Character Name>: Rata what? Explain.
- If any other:
- <Character Name>: Rata Novus? I've never heard of that.
- Taimi: The legendary lost city. What are we waiting for? We should have been there already!
- Taimi: We could find data, magitech, or allies there that could help fight Mordremoth!
- If asura:
- <Character Name>: This could change the tide! Let's get everyone back together.
- If not asura:
- <Character name>: Sounds too good to be true. Let's get everyone back together.
- Kiru: Thank you for reactivating the map. Please tell the Novans to stop by soon, if you visit them. Good luck to you.
- <Character name>: Thank you.
- Rejoining the group
- Taimi: Hey, everybody! There's a lost Rata nearby. We have to go there.
- Taimi: They're doing research on Elder Dragons! They may have magitech to help fight Mordremoth!
- Taimi: Braham! Oh my ears! You're back! I missed you so much! (gasp) You're bald!
- Braham Eirsson: Easy there, Miss Genius. I missed you, too.
- <Character name>: How are you doing?
- Braham Eirsson: I'm okay. I'm eager to get back in the fight.
- Braham Eirsson: I heard Faolain, or whatever she's become, is still alive. I'd like to correct that.
- <Character name>: Rox, what of Zojja and Logan's trail?
- Rox: I actually don't know that we're on their trail.
- Rox: Back in Tarir, we got wind of a Mordrem prisoner caravan and decided to check it out, but I don't think it's theirs.
- Rox: It's not the same amount of prisoners or Mordrem we followed earlier.
- <Character name>: Okay, we head to Rata Novus then.
- Braham Eirsson: Hmmm...
- <Character name>: Braham?
- Braham Eirsson: Oh... I'm following you, Commander. Whatever you think's best.
- If asura:
- <Character Name>: All right. Let's go find this lost rata.
- If not asura:
- <Character Name>: All right. Let's go find this lost city.