It is customary for a Claw to step down without a Voice. But I fear if I do, my people will succumb. So I linger—a counterweight to keep what little balance remains.
Cloudseeker is the Claw of Koda of Still Waters Speaking, a kodan settlement in Bjora Marches, where he and his fellow kodan struggle against the temptations of the eerie whispers which plague the region.
Cloudseeker once lead the kodan of Still Waters Speaking together with Ushers-in-Spring, his Voice of Koda. Back then, Drakkar's Lake was a smooth glass and had a voice of its own, a soft whisper, almost inaudible. But as time passed, and Elder Dragons were felled, the whispers grew stronger, Drakkar had awoken. Ushers-in-Spring, being a Voice of Koda, was no stranger to voices in her head. She listened to the whispers, tried to reason with them, but that was her demise. She turned, became another servant of the Elder Ice Dragon of Ice and Persuasion. The kodan of Still Waters Speaking had lost their Voice, and thus, their connection to Koda.
It is customary for a Claw to step down without their Voice, but Cloudseeker puts his people's wellbeing above tradition. He continues to lead the kodan of Still Waters Speaking, standing strong, lest his people succumb to the dragon.
The kodan of Still Waters Speaking have distanced themselves from other settlements, and have become wary of any outsiders. When Crecia Stoneglow and Rytlock Brimstone, following Bangar Ruinbringer's trail, came across this kodan settlement, the kodan imprisoned them until they could verify that their voices were their own, that they had not fallen to the whispers. Shortly afterwards, Braham Eirsson and the Pact Commander, after earning the trust of the kodan by slaying several Sons of Svanir in the area, entered the settlement, had an audience with Cloudseeker, and vouched for the two charr.
Cloudseeker explained to them that Bangar and his army had been spotted in the region, and feared that his judgment was being clouded by the whispers. The Claw revealed the source of the whispers to be Drakkar. More than a champion, Drakkar is the mouthpiece of the Elder Dragon, amplifying Jormag's whispers. Without it, the Elder Dragon cannot whisper beyond its lair. But defeating Drakkar is not an easy task, as Cloudseeker illustrates in his bonfire how the Lost Spirits of the Wild: Eagle, Ox, and Wolverine, have been corrupted by Jormag, and now Drakkar feasts on their infinite magic. If the Commander and allies agree to aid the kodan of Still Waters Speaking, the kodan will then aid them in defeating Drakkar.
After securing the kodan of Still Waters Speaking, Braham claims the power of the Lost Spirits of the Wild, and Cloudseeker honors his word and offers his aid in the battle to come. He instructs the heroes to destroy Jormag's profane idols, scattered all throughout the Marches, which Drakkar uses to heal itself from any damage. At the same time, Jhavi Jorasdottir leads a direct attack on Drakkar, forcing it to retreat away from the lake, into a cavern to the south surrounded by rocks. With Drakkar weakened and cornered between the rocks, the Commander and their allies rally to face the dragon champion, as Cloudseeker pledges Koda, and the Spirits of the Wild, to guide them to victory.
- The whispers tell me I should not trust you. Which is exactly why I dare to.
Where is everybody? (Before earning progress in the "Shadow in the Ice" Mastery meta-achievement.)
- Cloudseeker: My people have grown...distant to one another. Distant to Koda. Unbalanced.
- Cloudseeker: Some left seeking food. Some to rebuild our defenses. Few have returned. Go—find them. Guide them back to Koda.
How is the village recovering? (After earning progress in the "Shadow in the Ice" Mastery meta-achievement.)
- Cloudseeker: Slowly. You have helped the kodan of Still Waters Speaking, but Jormag seeks to undo your work.
- Cloudseeker: As long as Drakkar lives, my people will be tempted by the Elder Dragon and its whispers.
What happened to this village's
- Cloudseeker: Her name was Ushers-in-Spring. She was our connection to Koda, as all Voices are.
- Cloudseeker: When Drakkar awoke, and the whispers grew louder, she tried to respond. Tried to reason. She listened. And she was turned.
- Cloudseeker: It is customary for a Claw to step down without a Voice. But I fear if I do, my people will succumb.
- Cloudseeker: So I linger—a counterweight to keep what little balance remains. I miss her.
What exactly are the whispers?
- Cloudseeker: They are the ever-present temptation of Jormag. The Elder Dragon speaks to any who might listen.
- Cloudseeker: It is one thing to hear the whispers. It's another to heed them. Remember, Jormag does not take. Jormag turns.
- Cloudseeker: Jormag's truth becomes your truth. If you desire power, Jormag will give it to you. And you give yourself to Jormag.
Is Drakkar the source of the whispers?
- Cloudseeker: Jormag speaks. But Drakkar is its mouthpiece. The whispers radiate from it, like heat from the sun.
- Cloudseeker: Kill Drakkar, and you stop the whispers. It is as simple as that.
- I must go.
- Cloudseeker is voiced by Tommie Earl Jenkins.
- Concept art from before the game launched suggests that all Claws of Koda were at first considered for using the same character model Cloudseeker uses. However, Cloudseeker is the first kodan to use this model. All other Claws use regular kodan character models.
- On the contrary, all Voices of Koda do share the same character model, inspired by this concept art.
- Concept art
Concept art by Kekai Kotaki.