At first, for centuries, I defended my master. But I could hear his thoughts, too, and I knew that if he rose again, all good things would come to an end.
Kralkatorrik is the Elder Crystal Dragon. It is a thousand feet tall and its wingspan easily blocks out the sun, and is described as being about 20 times larger than its scion Glint. It is often referred to as both a hurricane and sandstorm, having the ability to create and even become the latter. It has the power to corrupt anything physical with its breath, turning them into the Branded.
Kralkatorrik, like the other Elder Dragons, is thought to have last awakened 10,000 years ago, around the time of the disappearance of the Giganticus Lupicus, and then fallen back into slumber from consuming all life they could find. Glint, Kralkatorrik's champion and scion, could hear the thoughts of creatures, which allowed her to unravel and stop the plots against her master.
After running out of magic to feast on in the dragonrise, Kralkatorrik fell into slumber in Grothmar Wardowns in what would become known as the Blood Legion Homelands. Its back would be regarded as a mountain as millennia passed and knowledge of the previous dragonrise faded from memory. Kralkatorrik left Glint awake as its herald so she could wake her master up once magic levels had become high enough to be feasted upon again. However, Glint betrayed her master by siding with the mortal races after the Forgotten had freed her from the Crystal Dragon's control.
When Kralkatorrik flew, a terrible storm of black clouds and lightning was formed around its body. The lands that were touched by its golden breath during its flight turned black, now called the Dragonbrand; the plants, animals, and even elementals turned into the Branded—crystalline lifeforms, shadows of their former selves. The Elder Dragon's passing over Ascalon turned Chief Kronon's ogres as well as Almorra Soulkeeper's warband into Branded. Being forced to end her Branded comrades would lead Almorra to eventually form the Vigil. As Kralkatorrik flew past the Stronghold of Ebonhawke and brought the Branded in its wake, Queen Jennah who was visiting the city peeked into the Elder Dragon's chaotic mind only to coil back in terror when Kralkatorrik glimpsed her.
When Kralkatorrik reached Glint's lair, it faced not only its former champion but also Destiny's Edge, an adventuring guild who helped even the odds with coordinated attacks, and knowledge and artifacts that Glint had provided them with. However, due to Logan Thackeray's sudden departure to save Queen Jennah at Ebonhawke, which was assaulted by the newly formed Branded led by Chief Kronon in the Ogre Revolt, the strength of Destiny's Edge was diminished at a crucial moment.
Glint sacrificed herself by luring Kralkatorrik to her in order to place the dragon-blood yoke around her former master's neck as her last act, which in turn allowed the asura Snaff to access and wrestle with Kralkatorrik's mind in order to force the Elder Dragon to land and for Rytlock Brimstone to attempt to slay the temporarily incapacitated Elder Dragon with the Dragonsblood Spear. However, even after killing Glint and being distracted by Snaff, Kralkatorrik managed to locate the asura's position and directed its minions to kill him.
After the Branded had killed Snaff, Kralkatorrik regained control of its body. The Dragonsblood Spear thrown by Rytlock bounced off harmlessly as the Elder Dragon took off and flew to safety.
Kralkatorrik remained in the northern Crystal Desert for roughly ten years, being among the forces preventing movement into Elona for all except the Order of Whispers. Its champions such as the Shatterer continued attacking areas in Ascalon while more and more Branded headed south into the desert to join their Elder Dragon master's side.
The remaining Forgotten in the Crystal Desert, led by Josso Essher, attempted to purify Kralkatorrik of its corruption via a ritual and turn it good like they had done with Glint. However, the attempt ended in a failure, leading to many Forgotten being Branded, including Josso Essher himself.
After being empowered by the magic released from the Elder Dragon Mordremoth's demise in 1328 AE, Kralkatorrik flew off again, moving southwest towards the Domain of Vabbi and extending its Dragonbrand. During this time Kralkatorrik had command over the Death and Plant spectrum from Zhaitan and Mordremoth along with its natural spectrum, Crystal.
The rogue god Balthazar, having been denied the deaths of the Elder Dragons Primordus and Jormag whose powers he had been after, set his sights on the Crystal Dragon in hopes of absorbing its energy and invaded the Crystal Desert with his Forged army in 1330 AE. Balthazar successfully captured Aurene, Glint's second scion, and used her as a battery for his Warbeast. The fallen god had discovered that Kralkatorrik's unique weakness was its own crystalline power that it used when making Branded, which also included Aurene, and Balthazar hoped to abuse the connection between the two to bring down the Elder Dragon.
Balthazar and the Warbeast attacked Kralkatorrik with its own magical essence during the Battle of Kodash Bazaar. They nearly killed the Elder Dragon, had it not been for the Pact Commander who freed Aurene and forced Balthazar to enter the fray in person. As Aurene and the Commander fought Balthazar to prevent the war god from killing the Elder Dragon and destabilizing the magic in Tyria, the recovering Kralkatorrik shot blindly at everyone present on the battlefield.
After Balthazar's death, Kralkatorrik and Aurene absorbed the fallen god's rampant magic, which consisted of the magic of the Maguuma Bloodstone as well as some of the magic of Primordus and Jormag. Newly empowered, the Crystal Dragon flew across the desert once again, carving a new Dragonbrand in its wake.
After flying into the western mountains of Kourna, Kralkatorrik began creating pockets of Brandstorms across the Crystal Desert and Elona, remotely striking locations such as the Amnoon. In these Brandstorms, a new type of Branded augmented with death magic, known as Death-Branded, appeared. These Branded could be created from the dead known as Branded Thralls, an augmentation of Kralkatorrik's powers from consuming Zhaitan's magic. Kralkatorrik had been corrupting living beings in the Dragonbrand before, and could turn the land itself into minions, but it was not able to create minions out of corpses prior to consuming Zhaitan's Death spectrum of magic.
Kralkatorrik also began to send Branded meteorites across Elona, reaching as far south as the Isle of Istan. The Inquest at Rata Primus had begun research into Kralkatorrik's powers, including the new Death-Branded minions, as well as its hive mind capabilities. Though Kralkatorrik had shown forms of hive mind before, upon learning of the Inquest's experiments Taimi theorized that Kralkatorrik had gained this improved hive mind through absorbing Mordremoth's magic. The Inquest's hive mind experiments featured two Branded in mirrored environments where only one was exposed to external stimuli but both reacted; this was notably different from the previous examples of hive mind among the Branded which, like all other Elder Dragons and their minions, showed to be connecting the minions to the Elder Dragon and vice versa, but not minions to each other beyond recognition of being corrupted.
Recordings left by the Forgotten and Exalted in Kesho show that Kralkatorrik's unique weakness is its own crystalline blood, including Glint, Vlast, and Aurene. This weakness is created due to the unique resonance that connects the Branded back to Kralkatorrik, making the Elder Dragon vulnerable to its own minions and corruption. Upon examining pieces of Kralkatite ore mined from Brandstones, Istani scholars have discovered that powdered rose quartz, if charged with a high-energy environment of a storm or a source of concentrated light such as the Astralarium's mirrors, is capable of cleansing Kralkatorrik's corruption by leeching the energy from the Kralkatite and potentially other corrupted material and discharging the cleansed energy into the environment.
- Chapter 4: Order Neophyte
- A Fragile Peace (cinematic only)
- Sorrow's Embrace (story) (cinematic only)
- Kralkatorrik's Ire - Kralkatorrik hurls a crystal meteor at an area.
- Branded Prison - Kralkatorrik's lightning traps enemies in crystal (Beast of War)
Size comparison render of Kralkatorrik (right) and The Shatterer (left).
Render by Ronald Kury.
- Concept art
Guild Wars Eye of the North concept art by Jaime Jones.
Concept art of Almorra Soulkeeper and Kralkatorrik by Levi Hopkins.
Concept art by Zhengyi Wang.
Concept art by Ruan Jia.
- Kralkatorrik's name is similar to the name of the volcano Krakatoa.
- Kralkatorrik's model was created in 2-3 weeks, and inspired by geodes.
- ^ "Chapter: Kralkatorrik", Edge of Destiny by J. Robert King:
- Shrieking, Glint dived onto that back and smashed into Kralkatorrik. Talons tore off scales, and fangs ripped through muscle. Green blood sprayed from it, emerald droplets plunging through the air. Glint vaulted off its back, rose up, and dived again.
- This time, though, there was nothing to strike. The Elder Dragon's flesh had melted into a sandstorm. She tore at it with claws and fangs, but Kralkatorrik was as insubstantial as a dream.
- The dream turned on her. In midair, the Elder Dragon rolled to its back, talons reaching up. Glint tried to loft away, but those claws solidified and grasped her. They pierced her leg and flank and held on crushingly as Kralkatorrik rolled again.
- She flailed but could not escape. She could little breathe. Her lung was punctured and bubbling.
- Kralkatorrik climbed into the sky, hauling Glint away from her lair. Its hissing bulk merged with the storm.
- ^ The Ruined City of Arah (explorable) Jotun path
- Varra Skylark: This is an amazing discovery! The jotun's sky-sweeper shows a stellar match with the last time the dragons awoke.
- <Character name>: When was that last time?
- Varra Skylark: Around ten thousand years ago. You know what this means? The Elder Dragons may have been responsible for the extinction of the Giganticus Lupicus!
- ^ Comment by Chelsey Shuder, Reddit.com
- ^ Post by Jessica Price in "Swarming y'all with questions", Guild Wars 2 Forums
- ^ "Chapter 26: Seeking the Sanctum", Edge of Destiny by J. Robert King:
- The dragon’s great eyes went gray. "I can hear the thoughts of creatures. I am an oracle. I heard their plots against my master, stopped them before they reached him, killed them in their tracks. But I also felt their agony, their loss. It grieved me."
- ^ "Chapter: Dragonrise", Edge of Destiny by J. Robert King:
- Ferroc Torchtail's hackles rose. He didn't like the look of that mountain—how it hulked there—spiky, scaly, massive...unnatural. He certainly didn't like that his warband was marching toward it. He had a feeling of doom. [...]
- Across the ridge, spikes of stone flexed slowly.
- Rocks sloughed from scaly ribs.
- Talons cracked out of bedrock.
- The dragon rose from the mountain.
- It was the biggest living thing Ferroc had ever seen. It was the mountain—a thousand feet high with a wingspan that shadowed the world.
- ^ "Chapter: Siege and Storm", Edge of Destiny by J. Robert King:
- Queen Jennah of Kryta, staring from a window high in Ebonhawke Keep, peered into the mind of darkness.
- It was unlike any she had wrestled before.
- A sandstorm. A chaos. Bottomless hunger. Endless outrage.
- She glimpsed it for just a moment, but that was enough. In that moment, it had glimpsed her.
- Crying out, Queen Jennah reeled back from the window. Countess Anise caught her, staring in dread at her queen.
- "That's what they look like," Jennah said, panting. Her eyes were like mirrors. "That's what it's like to look into the mind of a dragon."
- ^ "Chapter: Battle of the Crystal Desert", Edge of Destiny by J. Robert King:
- Snaff stared at his reflection in the compound eye of the beast-stared so long that he passed through the reflection and found himself on the other side...
- Within the dragon's mind.
- It was like standing in the eye of a cyclone. All around, a great storm raged, tearing down the heavens and churning up the sands and whirling all in primordial chaos. Tortured coils of cloud mixed with dissolving seas of silt. The winds scoured away rock and rill, tree and blade, flesh and bone-and tossed them all in a crystalline tempest.
- All things were fuel to that storm.
- Everything was a feast to Kralkatorrik.
- How does one fight a hurricane?
- But only now did he understand.
- The center of every vortex is a great emptiness-a hollow longing. The storm tries to fill the emptiness, but the more it hungers, the deeper the emptiness becomes.
- And Kralkatorrik's hunger was insatiable.
- To draw the dragon, Snaff had to become the eye of the storm-to be what Kralkatorrik was not.
- Enraged, the dragon sought this delighted mind, this maddening contentment. The eye of the dragon shifted, fixing on the ruined sanctuary far below.
- That was where it lurked.
- But not for long.
- The minions of Kralkatorrik would root out this intruder.
- ^ The Movement of the World: Order of Whispers
- ^ Desert Gate Guard
- ^ a b The Way Forward
- Sadizi: That was Josso Essher, one of the legacy's main architects. Sadly, he was lost in the attempt to convert Kralkatorrik.
- <Character name>: Wait. "Convert" Kralkatorrik?
- Sadizi: Yes. The Forgotten dared to try, but the hunger of the Elder Dragons is too strong. It proved a tragic failure. [...]
- Josso Essher: Kralkatorrik's unique strength—its power to crystalize objects—is also its singular weakness.
- Josso Essher: Its creations share a fundamental resonance that connects them back to the crystal dragon and makes them vulnerable to each other.
- Taimi: A fundamental resonance that makes them vulnerable...
- Taimi: Whoa! So that's why Balthazar was after Vlast! He needed a scion of Glint to kill Kralkatorrik! But Vlast's gone, so that means...
- ^ Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire—Road to the Desert
- ^ Eye of the Brandstorm
- <Character name>: We should check in with Jory and Kas. See if they've caught up to Kralkatorrik.
- Taimi: They already checked in. Kralk is perched in some mountains. They said it's acting strange...
- ^ Defeat the Branded earth elemental
- ^ Post by Andrew Gray in "Elder Dragons Zhaitan and Mordremoth", Guild Wars 2 Forums
- ^ a b Research Notes
- ^ a b Yasna
- ^ The Astralarium ambient dialogue
- ^ The Road to Rata Primus
- PA Announcer: Imagine! Communications technology enhanced by the unique hive-mind abilities of Kralkatorrik's minions.
- Taimi: What? Their hive mind?
- Taimi: I wonder if that ability is something Kralkatorrik absorbed after Mordremoth's death. Some piece of its magical nature...
- ^ Ronald Kury's ArtStation profile, Artstation.com