Help the Durmand Priory conduct experiments on the amulet.
- Travel to Scholar's Cleft.
- Meet with Scholar Vivian
- Assist Scholar Fionna's research.
- Assist Scholar Haevris' research.
- Check on Scholar Emberlight and Mr. Cluckers.
- Speak to Scholar Vivian about the test results.
Travel to the Black Citadel to debrief with the representatives of the orders of Tyria.
- Meet with Rytlock and the order reps in Hero's Canton.
- Decide how to proceed.
Click here to edit the reward data
- All professions
- One of the following: Mending Helm, Strong Helm, Penetrating Helm
- One of the following: Mending Mask, Strong Hat, Penetrating Mask
- One of the following: Mending Circlet, Strong Masque, Penetrating Masque
Travel to Scholar's Cleft in Snowden Drifts to begin the mission. Speak with Vivian on the top floor of the building, and she will tell you to assist the other Priory members with their tasks. First help Scholar Fionna by selecting different colored flasks to test. One will explode and ignite fires nearby. Grab a water bucket and use it to put out the fires to complete Fionna's task. Second, speak with Scholar Haevris outside, and he will attempt to smash part of the amulet with a hammer. This will cause a group of undead to appear - slay them to complete Haevris's task. Finally, head back up to the top floor of the building to check with Scholar Emberlight. His chicken, Mr. Cluckers, has become undead - kill it to complete Emberlight's task. Speak with Vivian again, then leave the instance.
- Warband survivor: Clawspur / Dinky / Euryale / Maverick / Reeva
- Scholar Emberlight
- Scholar Yahala Scribepaw
Talking to Scholar Yahala Scribepaw
- Scholar Yahala Scribepaw: Scholar Vivian is one of the Priory's finest minds. If anyone can figure out these amulets, she can.
- Good. I want this settled as soon as possible
Talking to your sparring partner:
- Clawspur: Think they have books on human anatomy here? I want to start spicing up my Ascalonian ghost kills.
- I'll keep an eye out for any reference books we can use.
- Dinky: They say you learn something new every day, so these scholars must have seen a lot of days.
- Old doesn't necessarily mean smart, Dinky.
- Euryale: I smell poultry. What kind of scholar uses birds for undead research?
- As long as they get results, I don't care what kind of pets they keep.
- Maverick: They say learning is the path to self-improvement. Maybe I should read more...but then, how do you improve on perfection?
- Sometimes the best way to learn is to keep quiet and listen.
- Reeva: Well, look what we have here: a whole building full of dusty old scholars and ancient, crumbling books. Or is that dusty old books and ancient, crumbling scholars?
- Howl. Doesn't matter, as long as they can help us figure out the amulet and find
On the way to Scholar Vivian:
- Scholar Yahala Scribepaw: Our best people are working on the amulet. With your help, we'll get results even sooner.
- Scholar Yahala Scribepaw: Frankly, I'm surprised the Vigil was willing to hand over their amulet. They're not usually so cooperative.
- Depending on the NPC present:
- Clawspur: I don't trust things that come out of labs. Especially puppies.
- Dinky: I love the Priory. They're all polite and they've got the best toys.
- Euryale: I don't know, boss. These Priory types are usually too smart for their own good.
- Maverick: If these scholars are so smart, how come they don't shout my name and throw money when I arrive?
- Reeva: I'm dying to ask one of these Priory folk to look at my design for a better mousetrap.
Talking to your allies before approaching Vivian:
- Fionna: One moment, please. I'm still concocting my concoctions, but I'll be ready soon.
- Thanks. I'll be standing by.
- Scholar Emberlight: Pure research may not appeal to a soldier like you, but it gets results. These ancient tests, for example, may be the only reference to Rissa's crystal.
- I like anything that gets results. Carry on.
- Scholar Haevris: Can't talk now, friend. I'm in the middle of picking out the right tool for the job. Give me a few moments and I'll be ready.
On speaking with Scholar Vivian (cinematic):
- Scholar Yahala Scribepaw: Scholar Vivian, I'd like you to meet the centurion who helped collect the necromancer's amulet. I trust your team's analysis is going well?
- Scholar Vivian: We're making good progress, especially since we split the amulet up among three of our best researchers.
- <Character name>: You were able to break the amulet apart? That sounds more like success than progress.
- Scholar Vivian: Each fragment remains functional, though. That tells us Rissa probably struck her amulets from the same original source.
- Scholar Vivian: We're very close to a breakthrough. Check in with each of my team members and you'll see. You might even be able to speed things along.
Speaking to Fionna:
- Fionna: Here to observe? I'm about to test a particularly exciting round of reagents.
Don't let me interrupt.
- Actually, I could use assistance—and a witness. So far it's been a series of failures, but this time I think I've got it.
What can I do?
- I've been dropping silvers of the amulet into different alchemical brews. Pick one of the containers on the workbench. I'll drop a silver in, and we'll observe the results.
Random mixtures sounds dangerous, but if you get results...
- Oh, don't worry! The chances of maiming or death are minimal. The chances of blindness, madness, and slight headache are significantly larger, but I'm petty sure I have cures for them.
- All right, let's do this. But if I blow up, make sure Yahala doesn't take my stuff.
Don't you want to tell me what's in the containers? Or what I should expect?
- I've been approaching this too scientifically, so I'm ready to try something less...controlled. To be honest, I was about to get Mrs. Meowmers to help me pick reagents.
- You're kind of insane, aren't you? Well, at least I outrank the cat. Let's do this.
Choosing the green reagent:
- Fionna: Green? All right. Not my favorite color, despite what you might think. Here we go. Cover your nose.
- Fionna: Well! Aside from making my work area stink, that didn't really do anything, did it?
Choosing the yellow one:
- Fionna: Ah, the yellow brew. This should be interesting. Here goes...
- Fionna: Hmm. That didn't seem to do anything. More dead ends.
Choosing the red reagent:
- Fionna: Red? I love that color! Excellent choice. Okay, here goes nothing...
- Fionna: Oh dear...fire! Quickly, get the water pail before we lose everything!
After extinguishing the flames:
- Fionna: That was exiting! Excuse me while I lay here for a bit. Would you inform Vivian of our results?
Talking to your allies afterwards:
- Fionna: My experiments hardly ever burst into flame, but the Elder Dragons are involved, everything's far more...volatile. Thanks for your help.
- You're welcome. Thanks for your effort.
- Scholar Vivian: I take it from the explosion I just heard that Fionna's experiments are progressing well?
- She seemed happy with the results. The cat felt otherwise.
Talking to Haevris:
- Scholar Haevris: Is it possible to physically destroy the crystal? You're just in time to find out. I'm about to make a breakthrough...with my hammer.
That doesn't sound like a good idea.
- On the contrary—stress testing is always the first step in any demolition project. Now, stand back. Watch me pound this to powder.
- All right. But don't say I didn't warn you.
- Scholar Haevris: That was unexpected. Better destroy them. If they break anything, Vivian'll have my head.
- Scholar Emberlight: Cluckers! I can't believe you ate that.
- Scholar Haevris: Thank you, charr. I'll let Vivian know my results.
- Scholar Emberlight: Good thing I have another ...Cluckers? Cluckers!
Talking to Haevris afterwards:
- Scholar Haevris: Ah, the sweet science of hitting. It's just about force, leverage, skill, and knowing where to hit. That's how you get results!
- Finally, something scholars and soldiers alike can agree on.
- Scholar Emberlight: Help! Cluckers is trying to eat my face. Kill him! Kill him, now!
- Scholar Emberlight: Fool chicken! He was after the other shard I had. I'll miss him. At least he'll be an interesting dissection.
Last conversation with Scholar Vivian (cinematic):
- Scholar Vivian: We've learned a lot about the crystal powering Rissa's amulets. It seems to be Orrian dragon corruption made solid.
- Scholar Vivian: It resonates with death energy. It kills and reanimates the wearer, and then makes them into a focal point for other undead.
- Scholar Vivian: Mr. Cluckers proved that the crystal fragments remain connected and are drawn to each other.
- Scholar Vivian: If we can find the original source of this crystal, Fionna's reagents can nullify it, and we should be able to shut them all down.
- Scholar Yahala Scribepaw: Excellent work, especially in the face of an army of shades and an undead chicken. Now, how do we find the original crystal to nullify it?
- Scholar Vivian: I believe we can cobble together a locator device, synched to the crystal's energy, that would lead right back to the original.
- <Character name>: Do it. We need to find the source...and I need to find my dead warband mate. Thank you, Scholar. Yahala, let's report back to the citadel.
Talking to your allies before leaving:
- Scholar Vivian: This has been productive. We knew the amulets were dangerous, but now we know how dangerous...and we're much closer to discovering a method of destroying them for good.
- I'm glad for that. You and your team have my thanks.
- Scholar Yahala Scribepaw: We've made real progress here today. I have to run the data past my superiors, but I'd say we have enough to start planning our next move.
- Excellent. We should inform Rytlock and the other orders.
Reporting in to Rytlock (cinematic):
- Rytlock Brimstone: Eager to hear your report, Centurion. We're seeing an increase in undead attacks all over the region. Safe to say Rissa's amulets are responsible?
- <Character name>: We've learned that they're connected to the Orrian dragon. They turn their owners into undead and draw other undead to them.
- Crusader Gahn Towerbreaker: The Vigil has one of the amulets stashed in our HQ. Are you saying that my people are in danger?
- Scholar Yahala Scribepaw: You militant types ought to be used to that by now. With so many innocents at stake, the Vigil can defend itself.
- Scholar Yahala Scribepaw: The Priory is working on a way to detect the amulets. We'll use our device to stop the next outbreak before it starts.
- Crusader Gahn Towerbreaker: And if the Vigil falls, who will defend all those innocents it already protects?
- Korukhan the Blacksmith: And while you're working that out, I'll withdraw to confer with my superiors. You have a tough choice ahead of you, Centurion. What's it going to be?
Talking to Yahaha and Gahn:
- Crusader Gahn Towerbreaker: They threaten Vigil headquarters itself. Come defend it with me, and I promise the Vigil will set out in force to collect the necromancer's amulets...and help you find your missing warband members.
Done. I'll help defend your comrades, you'll help find mine.
- I knew I could count on you, soldier. See you at Gendarran Fields, where we'll put these undead down for good.
- I'll be there.
- I need more time to decide.
- Scholar Yahala Scribepaw: The Vigil has no idea what they're doing. Our detector is the only way to save lives and find out what happened to your former warband member. It's the only choice.
I agree. Where do I meet you?
- Outside Junction Haven. I'll have the Priory's locator device. Together, we'll find the next amulet before it does any harm.
- See you there.
- I need more time to decide.