Shoulder to Shoulder
Shoulder to Shoulder is the second story step of No Quarter.
- Push back enemy forces in whatever way you can.
- Meet up with Rytlock and Crecia at the base camp in Umbral Grotto.
- Talk with Crecia.
- Talk to the Blood and Ash Legion reps.
- Feed the hungry sentry.
- Destroy the propaganda speaker.
- OPTIONAL: Destroy speaker with EMP or grenade.
- Obtain War Supplies from the stolen supplies.
- Turn in War Supplies to the quartermaster.
- Check in with Snarl and Galina.
- Fix the broken listening device.
- Investigate suspicious activity in the area.
- Correctly translate the scout scratches.
- Assist with Blood and Ash tasks and events on the west side to aid in the war effort.
- This story step occurs in the Open world. Follow the markers in any order if multiple choices are available. This step can be accomplished while working on the area mapping. While combat is not necessary, it helps in accomplishing the various Legion achievements. Additionally, "taking out" the Dominion scouts, engineers, snipers, etc, also helps add to Union morale.
- Talking to Rytlock
- if ???:
- Rytlock Brimstone: Don't think Smodur liked getting outvoted. With Bangar gone rogue, he figures he's good as Khan-Ur.
- if ???:
- Rytlock Brimstone: All that diplomacy makes my fangs itch. But you seem to do all right with the imperators.
- <Character name>: Don't love mixing politics with warfare. If that's what Crecia's been dealing with all this time, I don't envy her.
- Rytlock Brimstone: Good to see you again, Commander. Hope this goes smoothly, but when has that even been the case?
- You never know. Could be our lucky day. How're the things holding up?
- Ha! I make my own luck. And I'll make Bangar's, too. I haven't talked to Crecia just yet—I figured you'd want to be here for that. But I'm ready for anything, long as I get to do something.
- We'll be back in the thick of it soon enough.
- Hold on, I'll be right back.
- Speaking to Crecia
- Crecia Stoneglow: Commander, Rytlock.
- Rytlock Brimstone: How'd we lose so much ground, Cre?
- Crecia Stoneglow: We were so focused on Bangar, Ryland and his warband took us by surprise. I underestimated him.
- Crecia Stoneglow: Every time Steel gains an inch, one of ours wonders if they chose the wrong side.
- Rytlock Brimstone: No way you could predict how many idiots would buy their crap.
- <Character name>: How are you holding up?
- Crecia Stoneglow: I've got full command of the infantry here. Malice is employing her share of Ash tactics in the forest.
- Rytlock Brimstone: Where do you want us?
- Crecia Stoneglow: Troops need to see you out there. Morale is low. We can't afford any more deserters.
- Crecia Stoneglow: Centurions Edgecrusher and Backdraft are handling support. They'll tell you where you can do the most good.
- Rytlock Brimstone: We're on it, Cre.
- Crecia Stoneglow: I know it's rough out there, Commander. But we just need to keep pushing against Bangar's forces. I know we'll make it. We have to.
- I'll keep at it. Hang in there.
- Meeting the centurions
- Snarl Backdraft: Nice partnering up like this. All that working in the open was making my skin crawl.
- Galina Edgecrusher: That's just allergies. Ah, Tribune Brimstone. Anything we can help you with, sir?
- Rytlock Brimstone: Actually, we're supposed to help you, Galina. Where can we lend a hand?
- Galina Edgecrusher: All over, really.
- Snarl Backdraft: Legion forces are pretty thin on the ground and—
- Galina Edgecrusher: Damn Minister of Morale's got recordings spitting Dominion propaganda all over the place.
- Rytlock Brimstone: Her voice already makes me want to punch something. Smash a few speakers, problem solved.
- Snarl Backdraft: Our scouts have been hitting Dominion supply caravans just beyond camp. They could use some help with that.
- Snarl Backdraft: Plus the supplies will need to get to the quartermaster.
- Galina Edgecrusher: And our sentries have been pulling triple shifts. Be good if you can check on them.
- <Character name>: We'll take care of it.
- Galina Edgecrusher: And we'll be waiting here when you're done.
- Rytlock Brimstone: Think we'll cover more ground if we split up. See you soon, Commander.
- Talking to the centurions again
- Snarl Backdraft: Couldn't get enough of this handsome mug, could you, Commander? And right in front of my mate, you drakehound!
- Ever the card, Snarl. Stay well.
- Galina Edgecrusher: Good to see you, Commander. You're doing damn good work out there.
- What camp things needed doing?
- A few things: grab those supplies and get them to the quartermaster, feed the hungry sentry, and bust up that annoying speaker. Speaker and supply are outside the camp, staff is close.
- Got it. I'll get it done.
- Thank you.
- Talking to Morwen
- Whaddaya want? I've got a lot of hungry people waiting on me, so make it quick.
- There are hungry soldiers—I wanted to get them some food.
- I'm not your nanny! But fine, I suppose a snack wouldn't hurt. Give 'em this.
- Thank you. I'll get this to them.
- Never mind.
- I better go.
- Talking to the Hungry Sentry
- Just my luck. Pulled a double watch. Haven't had a hot meal in days. My stomach is growling louder than a trihorn with a hangnail.
- I've got something that might help. (When holding food from Morwen)
- Damn. Just damn. I can't thank you enough.
- Don't mention it.
- I'll see what I can do. Where’s the closest place to get food?
- That'd be Morwen, the cook. You can find him near the center of camp. He'll be the only thing growling louder than my stomach. Hey...if you see him, get me something to eat?
- I'll check with the cook.
- I'll see what I can do.
- Speaking to the quartermaster after getting supplies
- Make it quick, scrapper. We're in the middle of a war here.
- I’ve got some War supplies for you.
- Nice. I underestimated you, scrapper. Get out there and get us some more beans and bullets, 'specially if it's from the traitors. Grub tastes sweeter that way.
- Understood. I'm out.
- Returning to Snarl and Galina
- Galina Edgecrusher: Thanks, Commander. You beat Tribune Brimstone, but I'm sure he'll be swaggering in any minute.
- Snarl Backdraft: Part of the mission's to collect more intel. But the bugs we planted have been glitchy.
- <Character name>: We'll take any edge we can get. I'll see what I can do.
- Galina Edgecrusher: Keep your eyes open, Commander. We're spread too thin—Dominion keeps slipping past our sentries.
- Snarl Backdraft: They make it hard for our agents to courier sensitive messages to camp—critical intel on enemy troop movements.
- Galina Edgecrusher: Take a smaller version of his cipher key. Translate any coded messages they've left and relay the intel back to us.
- <Character name>: I'll report whatever I find.
- Observing the scout scratches
- You see a pair of strange symbols carved into the tree.
- Examine the signs more closely.
- You examine the scratches: the first is a long vertical scratch and the second is two sets of wavy horizontal lines.
- Try to interpret the symbols.
- If the first symbol is the numerical call sign of the agent, and the second is the direction, what does this set say?
- Agent Five, direction west.
- Agent Ten, direction east.
- Agent One, direction south.
- You’re confident in your choice, and you send the message to Snarl.
Glad to help.
- Examine the symbol again. (returns to “You examine the scratches”)
- Consult the guide to trail markers. (opens 'Charr Trail Script')
- After helping Snarl and Galina
- Crecia Stoneglow: Commander, our strategy is working. We're regaining ground bit by bit.
- <Character name>: Nothing helps morale like winning.
- Crecia Stoneglow: True. But we're still outnumbered. And we've got soldiers who've been alone out there too long.
- Crecia Stoneglow: You've made an impact across camp; now I need you further afield. And watch your back out there, Commander.
- Finishing Legion tasks
- Rytlock Brimstone: Cre. I was crawling through roots and bushes for those centurions of yours—came across a couple of Ryland's officers.
- Rytlock Brimstone: Before I shut them up, I heard them talking about "diving deep for the Dominion." Mean anything to you?
- <Character name>: Sounds like some sort of code. Should we take it to Snarl?
- Crecia Stoneglow: "Diving deep..." That's it! The basin!
- Rytlock Brimstone: Share, Cre.
- Crecia Stoneglow: Malice intercepted a communique. Seems Steel warband has a hidden headquarters. It must be somewhere in the basin.
- <Character name>: If we can find and strike at Steel’s central command—
- Crecia Stoneglow: It'd be like digging our claws back into the territory. I need you to find that base.
- Rytlock Brimstone: On it.
- <Character name>: I'm not too far away from the basin, Rytlock. I'll meet you there.
After the council disbanded, I met up with Snarl Backdraft and Galina Edgecrusher. Two strong personalities to say the least. They showed me firsthand just how desperate things are for our troops on the front line. Retaking territory held by Ryland's Steel warband isn't easy because it's not just the Dominion we're up against. The environment is hostile, morale is low, and there's a chance soldiers just might find one of their warband mates firing at them from the other side of the battlefield. How long can we expect the troops to live under these conditions? Hopefully we won't have to find out. While executing missions for Crecia, Rytlock and I recovered intel on a secret Steel command base somewhere in Breakroot Basin.
— My story