Plan of Attack
Plan of Attack
- 1327 AE
- Living World Season 2
- The Dragon's Reach: Part 1
- Old Duke's Estate
(Plains of Ashford)
Ruins of Oldgate
- Meet with Rox and Rytlock to discuss the summit.
- Meet Rox outside the Old Duke's Estate in the Plains of Ashford.
- Speak with Rox.
- Talk to Rytlock about the summit.
- Explain the threat to Rytlock.
- Ask Rytlock how you can help.
- The crown fragment pulls towards the Ruins of Oldgate in Diessa Plateau.
- Retrieve the first crown fragments from the Ruins of Oldgate.
- Find the first crown fragment after Rhell's machine neutralizes the ghost.
- The crown fragment pulls towards Serenity Temple in Blazeridge Steppes.
- Retrieve the second crown fragment from Serenity Temple.
- Retrieve the second crown fragment after Historian Cerin finishes his research at Serenity Temple.
- The crown fragment pulls towards an old house in the Iron Marches.
- Retrieve Bria's crown fragment.
- The final crown fragment must be hidden nearby. It will be easier to find after Bria's gone.
- Assist Rytlock with the Foefire cleansing ritual.
- Return to Rytlock and Rox in the Plains of Ashford.
- Return the crown fragments to Rytlock.
- Speak with Rytlock.
- Speak with Smodur.
- Speak with Rox.
- Venture deeper into the crypt.
- Talk to Rytlock when you're ready to begin.
- Witness the Foefire cleansing ritual.
- Defeat the possessed statue.
- Speak with Smodur.
- Speak with Rox.
- Lump of Raw Ambrite (5)
- Medium Bag of Geodes
- Zephyrite Lockpick
- Gilded Strongbox (3) (Ascalonian Ghost variant)
- Dragonite Ore (10)
- Pile of Phantasmal Residue
Defeat the possessed statue (80)
- Possessed statue
- Kill the Ascalonian mender before it buffs the statue.
- Possessed statue
The first instance is purely dialogue to introduce the quest.
For each fragment, you will have to complete a different event in Ascalon. Once the event is complete, a Rock Pile will appear, and inspecting it will yield the fragment. If the event was recently completed, it is possible to skip it and get the fragment immediately.
- Defend Rhell Crankmane while he sets up his ghost control machines (16)
- Collect artifacts from Serenity Temple for Cerin (45)
- Defeat Bria to rescue the captured cubs (50)
Get back to the Plains of Ashford for the mission instance proper, Foefire Cleansing. You'll need to fight a few Ascalonian ghosts first, until you reach the Vault. There, you'll have to fight a boss, the Possessed Statue. Most of its attacks affect large areas, and can cause Chill, as well as massive damage. Additionally, Spectral Flames spawn; these enemies move slowly, but are invulnerable, and their explosions cause Burning for a long time, as well as heavy damage and launch. During the battle, ghosts will also spawn, which need to be killed in order to charge Sohothin (6 ghosts required to be killed for each stage of invulnerability). This lets Rytlock take off the Spectral Protection buff that the statue gains when it reaches 50% and 25% health, and which makes it invulnerable. Among the ghosts, the most important targets are Ascalonian Menders which will spawn outside of the room and then slowly walk towards the statue. If they reach it, they will heal and buff the statue, extending the fight, so you should kill them before they reach their destination.
|Not So Buff Now||The Dragon's Reach, Part 1||5|
| Complete the final encounter while preventing the Ascalonian menders from casting buffs.Story Instance: Foefire Cleansing
||Stopped the Menders||5|
To get this achievement, you need to make sure that no mender will reach the statue to heal or buff it. Achievement qualification may be tracked via the Qualify for Not So Buff Now effect.
|Don't Knock Yourself Out||The Dragon's Reach, Part 1||10|
| Avoid being knocked back or knocked down while staying in the room.Story Instance: Foefire Cleansing
||Avoided Being Knocked Back or Knocked Down||10|
For this achievement, you need to avoid any knockdown attack of the statue. These attacks are either signalized by danger circles on the ground, or caused by the Spectral Flames following you. This is more easily attempted with a ranger, as the Spectral Flames will sometimes follow your pet and can get stuck on spirits, making it a lot easier to avoid them. Achievement qualification may be tracked via the Qualify for Don't Knock Yourself Out effect.
|Strike's Over||The Dragon's Reach, Part 1||15|
| Avoid the power-strike attack without leaving the room.Story Instance: Foefire Cleansing
||Avoided Power Strike||15|
To get this achievement, you need to let three menders in a row reach the statue to buff it. Once the statue is charged, it will attack with its power strike attack which starts a shockwave you will need to dodge through. Note that you will need to complete the battle before the achievement is rewarded but triggering the charged attack once and dodging it successfully is enough to fulfill the achievement requirements. Achievement qualification may be tracked via the Qualify for Strike's Over effect.
- Rytlock Brimstone
- Imperator Smodur the Unflinching
- Neci Quicktemper
- Blood Legion Soldiers
- And allies associated with the open world events.
- Ascalonian Archer
- Ascalonian Captain
- Ascalonian Cultist
- Ascalonian Fighter
- Ascalonian Mage
- Ascalonian Mender
- Possessed Statue
- Spectral Flame
- And foes associated with the open world events.
Talking to Rox
- I'm glad you're here. I was dreading having to do this without backup. I sent Tribune Brimstone a mail asking if he would forward our summit invitation to Smodur.
And his response was to order you to meet in person?
- Yeah. No way around it now. This is too important a cause. I had hoped it wouldn't come to this. I don't want to see his disappointment in me.
- He has nothing to be disappointed about. You did what you had to do.
After talking to Rox
- Rytlock Brimstone: Well, Rox. You're actually showing your face. That shows courage, considering what you're here for.
- Rox: Tribune?
- Rytlock Brimstone: You want me to talk the Imperator into attending your summit, and yet, you disobeyed my order to end Scarlet.
- Rox: I...ahem...I had to make a battlefield decision, Tribune.
- Rytlock Brimstone: If it hadn't been for our friend here, Scarlet would still be out there murdering people and ruining Tyria one step at a time.
- Rox: Yes, Tribune.
- Rytlock Brimstone: At ease, soldier. Excuse me while I discuss this with someone I know I can rely on.
Talking to Rytlock
- I know that look. You don't have to defend Rox, you know?
Well, you sure haven't lost any of your drill sergeant charm.
- I know. I'm rough on her, but somebody has to be. She's too soft inside. She'd have been dead long ago if I hadn't toughened her up.
You going to punish her for not killing Scarlet?
- Nah. I understand why she did it. Besides, she's a free agent now. She and I don't need to see eye to eye anymore. Of course, that doesn't need I'm not gonna give her grief when she needs it.
- (If charr)
She still answers to the
- Sure. But being a free agent means she has her mission and she's expected to figure out how to do it herself. She's on her own.
- Rox has a mission? What is it?
- (If not charr)
What does that mean exactly?
- Ask her. All I can say is that I'm not responsible for her anymore. Anything she screws up doesn't reflect on me. She's on her own.
- Got it. So she told you why we're here? (continues as above)
After talking to Rytlock
- Rox: Tribune, we also have information that will interest you and Imperator Smodur. It's about the Elder Dragons.
- Rytlock Brimstone: I know. Word's reached me that Mordremoth is active.
- Rox: That's an understatement. It's been destroying entire forts. We're not sure how far it can reach. The Black Citadel...
- Rytlock Brimstone: ...has enough to worry about with Branded and Ascalonian ghosts.
Explain the threat to Rytlock
- And if that's not enough, it takes everything else we've got to keep the Flame Legion off our ramps.
Before you know it, you'll be adding Mordremoth to that list.
- Rox: Tribune, the Branded are contained to one region. Mordremoth is quickly spreading across all of Tyria. It has already reached as far as Timberline Falls and Kessex Hills.
- (If charr)
- Iron Marches.
Mordremoth's reached charr lands. I fought its minions in the
- Rytlock Brimstone: That changes things. How bad is the situation?
Bad enough that no one in Tyria can afford to ignore it any longer.
- Rox: That's right. What happens to us if everyone else's armies are destroyed because we charr kept to ourselves? We have to stand together.
And we have to take on the greatest threat first. That's Mordremoth.
- Rytlock Brimstone: You don't have to tell me how dangerous Elder Dragons are. But convincing me and convincing Imperator Smodur are two different things.
- There must be something we can do to convince him.
- (If not charr)
It's sending tendrils outward, underground, growing like a malicious vine.
- Rytlock Brimstone: If that's true, then the Shiverpeaks will block it. I don't see how it could go through solid rock. We'll be protected.
- Fields of Ruin, but there's another cost to ignoring it.
It'll come through the
- Rox: That's right. What happens to us if everyone else's armies are destroyed because we charr kept to ourselves? We have to stand together. (continues as above)
After that conversation
- Rytlock Brimstone: As a matter of fact, that's why I asked you to come in person. I carry Sohothin, my blade. It's said to have the power to reverse the Foefire.
- Rox: Is that true or just a myth?
- Rytlock Brimstone: I plan to test it. After years of research, I've finally found the proper combination of elements to unlock the sword's power.
- Rox: You could rid us of all the ghosts?
- Rytlock Brimstone: That's the idea. We do that, and Smodur will have less to worry about. Then we can convince him to attend the summit.
Ask Rytlock how you can help
- I've researched the ritual, and I learned a lot about Ascalonian history. This story began a thousand years ago, when this ritual was first formulated by the humans' gods—the Six.
Please, go on.
- The Six gave them magic. At the same time, they also gave one of them a magical crown and two magical swords to protect the kingdom.
- Sohothin and Magdaer. And King Adelbern had inherited the crown?
- Exactly. The crown was designed to break into four parts. When the fragments are separated, they're hard to see. This was a safeguard to keep this powerful item from falling into the wrong hands.
And the crown is required for the ritual?
- It is. When Adelbern enacted the ritual with Magdaer, he became a ghost. But the crown was preserved and found by charr who entered the area later. They toyed with it, and the fragments were lost.
And you found them?
- I found one. I'm asking you to find the others. The fragments work like magnets to each other. Once you have one, you'll feel a pull towards the others.
Even after all this time, you're sure they're here?
- I'm hopeful. We need the crown to perform the ritual. Might as well assume they're there.
You, Rytlock Brimstone, are going to perform a ritual?
- If it means I succeed at breaking the Foefire curse, I'd put on a robe and call myself Shaman Brimstone. There's a lot at stake here, my friend.
- Point taken. I'll go find the crown fragments. Rox can help you get set up.
Talking with your allies
- Rox: I could go with you, you know?
- No. This is a one-person job. I'll be back soon.
- Rytlock Brimstone: You're going to have to use your instincts to find the rest of the fragments. I've got to mentally prepare for the ritual. These things always have cleansing and mumbling and relaxation involved.
- Good luck. I'll be back soon.
Gathering the crown fragments
Searching the Rock Pile at the Ruins of Oldgate, Serenity Temple, and Bria's Manor
- The faint glow of a crown fragment shines through the rubble.
- Take it.
Foefire Cleansing instance
- If charr:
- Rytlock Brimstone: You made it. Not that I doubted you for a minute.
- Imperator Smodur the Unflinching: At ease, soldier. Your deeds have reached my ears, as has your invitation.
- Imperator Smodur the Unflinching: If this mission is even remotely successful, I will attend your summit.
- Imperator Smodur the Unflinching: Let's hear your plan, Brimstone.
- Rytlock Brimstone: You made it. Not that I doubted you for a minute. Have you met Imperator Smodur?
- Imperator Smodur the Unflinching: I know you by reputation. I've also received your request.
- Imperator Smodur the Unflinching: If this mission eliminates even a portion of the enemy, I will attend your summit.
- Imperator Smodur the Unflinching: What's the plan, Brimstone?
Talking to Rytlock
- You're back. Did you have any luck?
Yes. I found them all.
- Great. Give me the crown.
- (If human)
Hold on. This crown is very important to my people.
- I see. What are you saying? You don't want me to use it?
You must promise you'll give it back to me when this is over.
- When this is over, and the ghosts are gone, I'll put it into your hands myself.
- (If not human)
All right. Tell me more about the ritual.
- It all hinges on Sohothin, my sword. There were originally two of them—Sohothin and another called Magdaer. They were given to the Ascalonians as protection against invasion.
- A couple hundred years ago, Sohothin was wielded by Rurik, son of King Adelbern. He was killed by a Stone Summit dwarf. It came into my care several years ago.
How did you get it?
- Irrelevant. Point is that its partner, Magdaer, is the sword Adelbern used to curse the Ascalonians. I've long suspected that Sohothin is the blade that can break the curse.
Okay. So, how?
- I've had my snout buried in scrolls and books at the Priory. One of the scholars there has been helping me tack together the history. I finally found a reference to the ritual.
And you trust the source?
- It's got an Orrian stamp on it, which makes it so old, it's got to be legitimate. In any case, I have to try. If it works, we'll be free.
Tell me what you need.
- Once we're inside, we need to channel ghost essence into the sword to fire it up. That means slashing a lot of ghosts.
- So, high stakes. Big danger. Sounds like fun. Let's go.
Talking to Smodur
- We may be here on a fool's errand, but it's worth a try. Rytlock has done the impossible before. These ghosts have plagued my people for too long. I spend every day looking for ways to end it.
If this works, it would be a boon for both charr and humans.
- True. It must be infuriating for humans, even those who aren't descended from Ascalonians.
- (if human) It's heartbreaking, especially when I'm forced to kill them.
- treaty signed. (if charr) Maybe it'll help us get the
(otherwise) I imagine it feels like being perpetually stuck in a war.
- Yeah. All the more reason why this needs to work. Your help is not going unnoticed.
- I'd do just about anything for Rytlock or Rox.
Talking to Rox
- Looks like we've got everything we need. That crown you put together is historic. It practically crackles with the weight of Ascalon's ancestors.
If this works, we'll go down in history ourselves.
- Do you think it will? I mean, surely getting rid of all the ghosts can't be this easy.
Who said it was easy? Getting the crown was no stroll.
- And on the other side of that gate, we've got ghosts building up, just waiting for us to come through. I hope their essences can charge Sohothin.
- I guess we'll find out.
After talking to Rox
- Rytlock Brimstone: That should be everything we need to cleanse the Foefire.
- Rox: How do you know this will work?
- Rytlock Brimstone: It'll work...because I said so.
- Imperator Smodur the Unflinching: You're on point, Brimstone.
- Rytlock Brimstone: Yes, sir.
While opening the crypt
- Rytlock Brimstone: We don't know what's down there. Be ready for anything.
- Rox: Frostbite and I are ready to stomp some ghosts.
In front of the entrance to Barradin's Vaults
- Rytlock Brimstone: The tomb is just ahead. That's where we'll test the Foefire cleansing. It's a place of power.
- Rox: I guess there's no turning back once we step through that arch, huh?
- Rytlock Brimstone: You prefer to go back to the fahrar, cub?
- Rox: No, sir!
Talking to Rytlock in front of the crypt
- You have to be ready. This could go in any direction. There's no way of predicting what this ritual will do.
- I'm ready.
Starting the ritual
- Rytlock Brimstone: I hope this works.
- Rox: (spit) For luck.
- Rytlock Brimstone: (chuckle) You used to do that when you were a cub. C'mon, let's get this over with.
- Rox: Something's happening. These ghosts don't seem to like your sword very much.
- Rytlock Brimstone: They're going to like it even less in a few minutes.
- Rytlock Brimstone: Damn! They're possessing what's left of Barradin's statue.
- Rox: Someone once told me nothing worth fighting for is ever easy.
- Rytlock Brimstone: Ha! You do listen.
- Rox: Only when I feel like it.
When a mender spawns
- Rytlock Brimstone: Another mender. Stop it from reaching the statue.
While fighting the Possessed Statue
- Rytlock Brimstone: Sohothin is charged with the ghosts' power. Let's see how effective this is.
- Rytlock Brimstone: We need to kill ghosts to charge Sohothin.
- Rytlock Brimstone: Sohothin is charged. Let's take that shield down.
Cutscene after defeating the Possessed Statue
- Rytlock Brimstone: Ascalon, I free you from this curse!
- Rytlock Brimstone: I have to go after it. Without it, we'll never end this war.
- Rytlock Brimstone: Go!
After the cutscene
- Rox: I need to go after him!
- Imperator Smodur the Unflinching: The portal is closed. You can't.
- Rox: But—
- Imperator Smodur the Unflinching: Stand down, soldier. He'll be fine. If anything, I'd be worried for the poor souls that get in his way.
- Imperator Smodur the Unflinching: This is his mission, not yours.
Talking to Smodur
- Brimstone will be back. Don't worry.
He took a lot of ghosts with him.
- I noticed. He may not have ended the curse, but he had an effect. And you played a pivotal role. I'll come to your summit for that reason alone.
Even after the cleansing failed?
- This cleansing's not over. Brimstone's dedication to his duty will bring him back. The least I can do is honor his commitment by attending the summit.
That's good. Thank you. You won't regret it.
- Well, I'm not so sure about that, but I'll keep my word. I'll be there.
- I'll see you there, Imperator. Thank you.
What exactly is going on?
- Happened fast, didn't it? Brimstone failed the Foefire cleansing, and lost Sohothin to the Mist in the process. Without that sword, he can't complete the ritual. He had to pursue it.
What can I do?
- Nothing. This cleansing is Brimstone's duty. He'll pull through.
- He took a lot of ghosts with him. (same as above)
Talking to Rox
- What just happened?
It looked to me like that was a portal to the Mists.
- The Mists? I hope so. At least we know you can come back from the Mists. What was he thinking?
He had to go after Sohothin.
- I suppose. At least now we have more hope that the sword might one day break the curse. I guess it's our only chance of getting rid of the ghosts for good.
My thoughts exactly. I just wish he hadn't gone alone.
- I agree. If only the portal hadn't closed so quickly! I suppose there's no way to find him.
No. None. The Mists are vast. Are you all right?
- I will be. My heart is still hammering. I just have to keep telling myself that he'll be fine. He's been in bigger scrapes. Still...
I know. I worry too.
- At least the imperator has agreed to come to the summit. That's one consolation.
- Yes. His presence is important. The charr army is powerful.
Talking to your allies
- Imperator Smodur the Unflinching: Carry on. This foray is over. If you seen Brimstone before I do, send him to the Citadel. I want to hear what he encountered through that portal.
- Will do.
- Rox: Rytlock will be okay. He's been through worse. But that doesn't mean I won't worry until he's back.
- (if already talked to Smodur)
- Hey. Before you leave, take this.
What is this?
- A stone from Duke Barradin's statue. I sure don't have a use for it, but maybe you will.
- I'll pass.
- (if not talked to Smodur)
- I'm sure he'll be fine.
- The name of the "Strike's Over" achievement is a reference to the Monk Strike during which monks, the healer class of Guild Wars, grew tired of being mistreated by dps and tank classes and refused to join player parties to help them complete the difficult Thunderhead Keep mission.