The Hero of Istan is the fifth part of Daybreak.
Infiltrate the prison.
- Meet Sayida the Sly outside the Mordant Crescent Great Hall.
- Allow Sayida to put you in manacles.
- Let Sayida hand you over to the Mordant Crescent.
Escape the cells.
- Speak with Zaeim.
- Find a way to escape your cell.
- Collect your gear.
- Escape the dungeons.
- Defeat Warden Amala.
Leave the Great Hall.
- Get your communicator.
- Give the coin to Sayida the Sly.
- Investigate the commotion outside.
- Defeat the Great Hall defenders.
- Plan your next move with your allies.
| Stop Right There
| Defeat the Awakened guard who goes to check on the riot before he can reach the top of the stairwell.Story Instance: The Hero of Istan
|| Stopped the Awakened Guard
| The Hero of Istan
| Execute your elaborate plan within the Mordant Crescent Great Hall.Journal: The Hero of Istan Completed
|| Completed the Hero of Istan
| Tipple Toes
| Escape the dungeons without being spotted by the drunken Awakened.Story Instance: The Hero of Istan
|| Escaped the Dungeons
- Mordant Crescent
- Sayida the Sly: Ah, I was starting to think you'd wised up.
- <Character name>: No such luck.
- Sayida the Sly: Why are we even here? There's no sign of your Shadows agent or his cavalry yet.
- <Character name>: I trust Kito. The cavalry will be here.
- Sly Medic: Uh, Cap'n, these casks are getting heavy.
- Sayida the Sly: Well, I have my crew in position, enough of Mehdi's grog to fell a hydra, *and* a little something for you.
- Sayida the Sly: Do you have my coin?
- <Character name>: You'll get it when we have Zaeim out safe.
- Sly Medic: My back...
- Sayida the Sly: Okay, time to hand you over to the people who want you dead.
- Sayida the Sly: Oi! Captain Sayida the Sly, requesting entrance! I come with gifts!
- Sayida the Sly: Come on, pick up the pace, you miserable excuse for a hero. The warden hasn't got all day.
- Warden Amala: Back for more, Captain Sayida? The Sunspear's bounty wasn't enough for you?
- Sayida the Sly: I only live to give Joko what he wants, Warden Amala. Praise Joko.
- Warden Amala: Praise Joko.
- (The nearby Awakened Soldiers repeat "Praise Joko." in unison.)
- Sayida the Sly: And there's nothing he wants more than the Tyrian hero—in the flesh.
- Warden Amala: Well, I'll be a scarab's breakfast... How did you and your drunken wharf rats manage this?
- Sayida the Sly: Sorry, Warden. Captain's gotta have her secrets.
- Warden Amala: Hmph. Fine. I'll have the gold brought to the front hall. Take it and go. Now.
- Sayida the Sly: Without drinking a toast to the most magnificent Palawa Joko?
- Sayida the Sly: Wonder what he'd do if he heard you refused to honor him.
- Sayida the Sly: We've brought you the finest grog found outside the pleasure halls of Vabbi just for this purpose.
- Sly Medic: It's very heavy.
- Warden Amala: One toast—to honor the most glorious Palawa Joko.
- Taimi: Commander, it's Taimi. Are you there...?
- Warden Amala: Wait. What's that? Quiet, prisoner!
- <Character name>: Wait. What happened?
- Spearmashal Zaeim: You're in the holding cells of the Mordant Crescent Great Hall.
- Unknown Voice: Keep it down over there!
- <Character name>: Ugh... Are you...Zaeim? The hero of Istan?
- Spearmashal Zaeim: That is what people call me, yes. And who are you?
- <Character name>: People call me the hero of Tyria.
- Spearmashal Zaeim: Oh—the famous commander. Agent Kito told us tales of how the two of you killed Balthazar.
- Mordant Crescent Jailer (1): Nonshense. Joko killeded Baltushar. He told us sho, himshelf...
- <Character name>: I'm here to rescue you.
- Spearmashal Zaeim: And how is that going?
- Mordant Crescent Jailer (1): You twos better— (hiccup)
- <Character name>: According to plan, believe it or not. Now we need to find a way out.
- Spearmashal Zaeim: It's no use. I've tried everything.
- Mordant Crescent Jailer (2): Shome kinda riot outside. Shunspearsh. (burp) Gonna sheck it out...
- Spearmashal Zaeim: My people are here?
- <Character name>: A friend is bringing some help from the outside.
- Spearmashal Zaeim: What did you do to the guard?
- Spearmashal Zaeim: You're wasting your time. I've tried everything on this lock.
- Spearmashal Zaeim: Is it true you and Agent Kito also killed two Elder Dragons?
- Spearmashal Zaeim: You might as well just give up.
- After opening your cell
- Spearmashal Zaeim: Aren't you the crafty one. The jailer has the keys on his belt.
- After taking the jailer's key
- <Character name>: I'm going to get us out of here, and then I need you to get me into Fahranur.
- Spearmashal Zaeim: That's a tall order. One thing at a time.
- After freeing Spearmarshal Zaiem
- Spearmashal Zaeim: Thank you, Hero of the Mordant Crescent Great Hall.
- While collecting your gear
- <Character name>: Damn. My communicator's not here... So, can you get me into Fahranur?
- Spearmashal Zaeim: As I said, one thing at a time. Why don't we get out of here first?
- If spotted by a drunken Awakened Soldier while escaping
- Awakened Occultist: Prishoners...shtop 'em!
- Interacting with the door to the Warden's Quarters
- Taimi: Commander, please, are you there...?
- <Character name>: Taimi?
- Taimi: He's got me—I need you...
- <Character name>: I'm coming, Taimi!
- Warden Amala: I knew this had to be a ruse. I'd expect it from you, Commander, but Sayida...Joko would not approve.
- Sayida the Sly: Who needs approval when I've got his gold?
- Taimi: Oh no...he's coming...
- <Character name>: Where is she?
- Warden Amala: He commands that you must die!
- When Warden Amala reaches 70%
- Taimi: Hurry, Commander!
- When Warden Amala reaches 55%
- Taimi: Where are you?
- When Warden Amala reaches 25%
- Taimi: Commander! Why aren't you answering?
- After defeating Warden Amala
- Warden Amala: Sweet release...
- After getting your communicator
- <Character name>: Taimi! Taimi, where are you?
- Taimi: Commander! I-I think it's the city from Aurene's vision!
- Taimi: Oh no, he's coming!
- <Character name>: Who? Who's got you, Taimi?
- Taimi: No, no, stay away! Please...
- Mysterious Voice: Your turn, little one.
- <Character name>: No. It can't be...
- Sayida the Sly: Joko. Sounds like he has a friend of yours. I suppose you'll want help saving her next—
- Spearmashal Zaeim: Not from you. Commander, this pirate is the one who *sold* me to Joko.
- Sayida the Sly: Relax, Sunspear. He'd never pay me twice for the same merchandise.
- <Character name>: We don't have time for this. My friend is in that sick lich's hands. I have to go help her!
- Sayida the Sly: Fine. There is one matter outstanding, however...
- After handing Sayida the coin
- <Character name>: Take your damn coin.
- Sayida the Sly: Your gratitude is...touching.
- Sayida the Sly: That's my cue to get out of here. I suggest you do the same.
- Investigating the commotion outside
- Spearmashal Zaeim: My Sunspears!
- After defeating the Great Hall defenders
- Rytlock Brimstone: Commander! I heard you pulled a Thackeray and got yourself captured. Is that the spearmarshal?
- <Character name>: We've got new problems: Joko's back, and he's got Taimi—at Fahranur.
- Canach: Aurene's vision!
- Rytlock Brimstone: He has Taimi? Let's GO!
- Spearmashal Zaeim: I'll prepare the Sunspears to reclaim Champion's Dawn. Then I'll meet you at the old dock at Issnur Bay.
- Spearmashal Zaeim: Sunspears! Let's liberate Champion's Dawn!
- <Character name>: Aurene! If you can hear me, please protect them!
I met with Sayida and her crew just outside the entrance to the Mordant Crescent Great Hall. She clapped me in irons and escorted me inside.
Sayida handed me over to Warden Amala, and with scores of Awakened looking on, she sweet-talked the warden into a toast to Joko, slyly handing over the spiked grog. All was going smoothly until Taimi called me over my communicator, raising the warden's suspicions. Amala cracked me over the head, and everything went black.
I came to in a dungeon cell next to Zaeim, the Hero of Istan. After the jailer outside toppled over from the spiked grog, Zaeim and I escaped and reached the stairwell leading out of the dungeons.
I must still make it past Warden Amala, and time is of the essence: Joko is back from the Domain of the Lost. And he has Taimi.
Amala put up a difficult fight: a dervish who had once dedicated her life to opposing Joko, she'd been executed and Awakened by the lich. Even under his control, she was still able to channel the power of the gods, but with the help of Sayida and her corsairs, Zaeim and I brought her down at last.
The skirmish outside the prison is still something of a haze: the Sunspears burst through the Great Hall's main gate with Rytlock and Canach to reunite with their Spearmarshal, while Aurene strafed the overwhelmed Mordant Crescent from above.
But it's hard to enjoy our triumph when Joko has Taimi. Zaeim has offered to guide us into Fahranur and has directed us to meet him at a cave on Issnur Bay. There's no time to waste.
— My story
- Each profession has a different way of escaping the cell.
- Revenant: Channels the power of the Legendary Prisoner Palawa Joko to escape the cell.
- Ranger: Uses part of a skeleton as a summoning horn and calls insects to pick the lock.
- Warrior: Channels their rage and punches through the bars.
- Guardian: Uses a Hammer of Wisdom to smash their way out.
- Elementalist: Conjures a Flame Axe to melt the bars.
- Mesmer: Blinks out.
- Thief: Picks the lock.
- Engineer: Uses the various debris to remove the bar hinges.
- Necromancer: Summons a Flesh Wurm to Necrotic Traversal their way out of the cell.
- The imprisoned storyteller is a reference to the position of 'dungeon master' in Dungeons & Dragons, and the third line in its dialogue specifically references the long-running Dungeons & Dragons livestream Critical Role.