The Hero of Istan
The Hero of Istan
- 1330 AE
- Living World Season 4
- Mordant Crescent Great Hall
(Domain of Istan)
Click to enlarge
Infiltrate the prison.
- Meet Sayida the Sly outside the Mordant Crescent Great Hall.
- Allow Sayida to put you in manacles.
- Let Sayida hand you over to the Mordant Crescent.
Escape the cells.
- Speak with Zaeim.
- Find a way to escape your cell.
- Take the jailer's key.
- Free Zaeim.
- Collect your gear.
- Escape the dungeons.
Escape the prison.
- Defeat Warden Amala.
Leave the Great Hall.
- Get your communicator.
- Give the coin to Sayida the Sly.
- Investigate the commotion outside.
- Defeat the Great Hall defenders.
- Plan your next move with your allies.
Meet Sayida the Sly south of the Mordant Crescent Great Hall. After a brief discussion, she will make you her prisoner, which applies the Shackled effect, and lead you to the front gate. Warden Amala will emerge from the hall and, once Sayida has made a deal with her, knock you out. You will awaken in a cell room, and Zaeim, another prisoner will give you a brief on what happened. You will need to find a way to escape your cell, with each profession having a different way of breaking out:
- Mesmers can interact with the Cell Bars to gain the Blink skill.
- Rangers can interact with the Remains to gain the Vermin Call skill that can be used to destroy the Cell Door Lock.
- Revenants can channel the power of the Legendary Prisoner Palawa Joko to escape.
- Warriors can channels their rage and punch through the bars.
- Guardians can use Hammer of Wisdom to smash their way out.
- Elementalists can Conjure Flame Axe to melt the cell bars.
- Thieves can pick the lock.
- Engineers can interact with the debris to remove cell bar hinges.
- Necromancers can summon a Flesh Wurm to use Necrotic Traversal.
Once you've made it out of your cell, take the nearby's Jailer's key and unlock Zaeim's gate. Grab your equipment from a nearby weapon rack and join Zaeim in escaping the dungeon.
The path outside will be riddled with Awakened forces - try and avoid their line of sight, indicated by a white radius in front of them. If you are seen (by entering the radius), you will have to fight the Awakened forces. Climb the final set of stairs and unlock the gate. Once you've gone through the gate, you'll enter a large hall, where a fight is taking place between members of the Sly Crew and Warden Amala.
Warden Amala will be transforming throughout the fight, calling upon different human gods. In the first phase (occurring between 100 and 85% health) she will leap across the room, creating circular AoE attacks, as well as occasionally blocking. Once she reached 85% health, she will have a break bar that you can break. If broken, she will be stunned for a short period of time. Regardless, she will call upon Lyssa, creating multiple clones inside the room. An easy way to identify the "real" Amala is by the legendary rank border around her icon in the UI. She will continue teleporting and switching places with her clones until you get her to 70% health, at which point she will call upon Melandru. Attacking with her scythe, Amala will spawn several AoEs that knock back. At 55% health, the power of Dwayna will be called upon, attacking with various lightning AoEs that inflict daze. At 40% health, she will call upon Grenth, using more leaping attacks and grasping hands to inflict bleeding and crippled. As her final phase, which she enters at 25% health, she will call upon Balthazar, forming multiple fiery AoE attacks that can quickly fill up the room. Finish her off and obtain your communicator from her in order to talk to Taimi, who will brief you on what happened before being interrupted by Palawa Joko.
Sayida the Sly will expect payment for her help, so talk to her and give her the coin. Go outside the hall into the courtyard which is being invaded by Awakened forces. Alongside Zaeim, Sunspear and Sly crew members, clear the invading forces. Talk to Rytlock to finish the story.
|The Hero of Istan||Daybreak||0|
|Execute your elaborate plan within the Mordant Crescent Great Hall.Journal: The Hero of Istan Completed||Completed the Hero of Istan||0|
|Stop Right There||Daybreak||1|
|Defeat the Awakened guard who goes to check on the riot before he can reach the top of the stairwell.Story Instance: The Hero of Istan||Stopped the Awakened Guard||1|
- Shortly after beginning your escape attempt from the cell, a nearby Awakened Soldier will slur something about hearing a commotion upstairs and begin walking towards the exit. Break out of the cell, grab your equipment, and kill him before he reaches it. He walks slowly, so you can afford to take your time so long as you don't dally.
- Eligibility may be tracked via Qualify for Stop Right There.
|Thereby Hangs a Tale||Daybreak||1|
|Relive the tales of the imprisoned storyteller.Story Instance: The Hero of Istan||Met the Storyteller||1|
- After breaking out of your cell, head down the stairs to the north and open the cell at the bottom to reveal a skeleton reclining in an armchair. Simply interact with it and read the dialogue through to the end.
|Escape the dungeons without being spotted by the drunken Awakened.Story Instance: The Hero of Istan||Escaped the Dungeons||1|
- Some of the guards will pass out as soon as you approach them; others will remain standing and display a white "field of view" cone at their feet. Avoid these cones as you climb your way out of the dungeon; the guards will occasionally turn or patrol a small area, so take care. Climb on fences and walls when you can to help avoid detection.
- Eligibility may be tracked via Qualify for Tipple Toes.
- Sayida the Sly
- Sly Brawler
- Sly Cutthroat
- Sly Medic
- Sly Raider
- Sly Sharpshooter
- Spearmarshal Zaeim
- Sunspear Alchemist Recruit
- Sunspear Dervish Recruit
- Sunspear Paragon Recruit
- Cell Bars
- Cell Door Hinge
- Cell Door Lock
- Disgusting Bucket
- Hidden Door
- Imprisoned storyteller
- Strange Stones
- Tattered Book
- Weapon Rack
- Sayida the Sly: Ah, I was starting to think you'd wised up.
- <Character name>: No such luck.
- Sayida the Sly: Why are we even here? There's no sign of your Shadows agent or his cavalry yet.
- <Character name>: I trust Kito. The cavalry will be here.
- Sly Medic: Uh, Cap'n, these casks are getting heavy.
- Sayida the Sly: Well, I have my crew in position, enough of Mehdi's grog to fell a hydra, *and* a little something for you.
- Sayida the Sly: Do you have my coin?
- <Character name>: You'll get it when we have Zaeim out safe.
- Sly Medic: My back...
- Sayida the Sly: Okay, time to hand you over to the people who want you dead.
- Sayida the Sly: Oi! Captain Sayida the Sly, requesting entrance! I come with gifts!
- Sayida the Sly: Come on, pick up the pace, you miserable excuse for a hero. The warden hasn't got all day.
- Warden Amala: Back for more, Captain Sayida? The Sunspear's bounty wasn't enough for you?
- Sayida the Sly: I only live to give Joko what he wants, Warden Amala. Praise Joko.
- Warden Amala: Praise Joko.
- (The nearby Awakened Soldiers repeat "Praise Joko." in unison.)
- If alone in the instance:
- Sayida the Sly: And there's nothing he wants more than the Tyrian hero—in the flesh.
- If in party with another player(s):
- Sayida the Sly: And there's nothing he wants more than the Tyrian hero and some co-conspirators —in the flesh.
- Warden Amala: Well, I'll be a scarab's breakfast... How did you and your drunken wharf rats manage this?
- Sayida the Sly: Sorry, Warden. Captain's gotta have her secrets.
- Warden Amala: Hmph. Fine. I'll have the gold brought to the front hall. Take it and go. Now.
- Sayida the Sly: Without drinking a toast to the most magnificent Palawa Joko?
- Sayida the Sly: Wonder what he'd do if he heard you refused to honor him.
- Sayida the Sly: We've brought you the finest grog found outside the pleasure halls of Vabbi just for this purpose.
- Sly Medic: It's very heavy.
- Warden Amala: One toast—to honor the most glorious Palawa Joko.
- Taimi: Commander, it's Taimi. Are you there...?
- Warden Amala: Wait. What's that? Quiet, prisoner!
- During a cutscene
- Unknown Voice: Ahai...you in there. Are you dead?
- <Character name>: Not now, Taimi...
- Unknown Voice: Ah. Grog. Sleep it off, then.
- <Character name>: Wait. What happened?
- Spearmashal Zaeim: You're in the holding cells of the Mordant Crescent Great Hall.
- Unknown Voice: Keep it down over there!
- <Character name>: Ugh... Are you...Zaeim? The hero of Istan?
- Spearmashal Zaeim: That is what people call me, yes. And who are you?
- <Character name>: People call me the hero of Tyria.
- Spearmashal Zaeim: Oh—the famous commander. Agent Kito told us tales of how the two of you killed Balthazar.
- Mordant Crescent Jailer (1): Nonshense. Joko killeded Baltushar. He told us sho, himshelf...
- <Character name>: I'm here to rescue you.
- Spearmashal Zaeim: And how is that going?
- Mordant Crescent Jailer (1): You twos better— (hiccup)
- <Character name>: According to plan, believe it or not. Now we need to find a way out.
- Spearmashal Zaeim: It's no use. I've tried everything.
- Mordant Crescent Jailer (2): Shome kinda riot outside. Shunspearsh. (burp) Gonna sheck it out...
- Spearmashal Zaeim: My people are here?
- <Character name>: A friend is bringing some help from the outside.
- Spearmashal Zaeim: What did you do to the guard?
- Spearmashal Zaeim: You're wasting your time. I've tried everything on this lock.
- Spearmashal Zaeim: Is it true you and Agent Kito also killed two Elder Dragons?
- Spearmashal Zaeim: You might as well just give up.
- After opening your cell
- Spearmashal Zaeim: Aren't you the crafty one. The jailer has the keys on his belt.
- After taking the jailer's key
- <Character name>: I'm going to get us out of here, and then I need you to get me into Fahranur.
- Spearmashal Zaeim: That's a tall order. One thing at a time.
- After freeing Spearmarshal Zaiem
- Spearmashal Zaeim: Thank you, Hero of the Mordant Crescent Great Hall.
- While collecting your gear
- <Character name>: Damn. My communicator's not here... So, can you get me into Fahranur?
- Spearmashal Zaeim: As I said, one thing at a time. Why don't we get out of here first?
- If spotted by a drunken Awakened Soldier while escaping
- Awakened Occultist: Prishoners...shtop 'em!
- Interacting with the door to the Warden's Quarters
- Taimi: Commander, please, are you there...?
- <Character name>: Taimi?
- Taimi: He's got me—I need you...
- <Character name>: I'm coming, Taimi!
- Warden Amala: I knew this had to be a ruse. I'd expect it from you, Commander, but Sayida...Joko would not approve.
- Sayida the Sly: Who needs approval when I've got his gold?
- Taimi: Oh no...he's coming...
- <Character name>: Where is she?
- Warden Amala: He commands that you must die!
- When Warden Amala reaches 70%
- Taimi: Hurry, Commander!
- When Warden Amala reaches 55%
- Taimi: Where are you?
- When Warden Amala reaches 25%
- Taimi: Commander! Why aren't you answering?
- After defeating Warden Amala
- Warden Amala: Sweet release...
- After getting your communicator
- <Character name>: Taimi! Taimi, where are you?
- Taimi: Commander! I-I think it's the city from Aurene's vision!
- Taimi: Oh no, he's coming!
- <Character name>: Who? Who's got you, Taimi?
- Taimi: No, no, stay away! Please...
- Mysterious Voice: Your turn, little one.
- <Character name>: No. It can't be...
- Sayida the Sly: Joko. Sounds like he has a friend of yours. I suppose you'll want help saving her next—
- Spearmashal Zaeim: Not from you. Commander, this pirate is the one who *sold* me to Joko.
- Sayida the Sly: Relax, Sunspear. He'd never pay me twice for the same merchandise.
- <Character name>: We don't have time for this. My friend is in that sick lich's hands. I have to go help her!
- Sayida the Sly: Fine. There is one matter outstanding, however...
- After handing Sayida the coin
- <Character name>: Take your damn coin.
- Sayida the Sly: Your gratitude is...touching.
- Sayida the Sly: That's my cue to get out of here. I suggest you do the same.
- Investigating the commotion outside
- Spearmashal Zaeim: My Sunspears!
- After defeating the Great Hall defenders
- Rytlock Brimstone: Commander! I heard you pulled a Thackeray and got yourself captured. Is that the spearmarshal?
- <Character name>: We've got new problems: Joko's back, and he's got Taimi—at Fahranur.
- Canach: Aurene's vision!
- Rytlock Brimstone: He has Taimi? Let's GO!
- Spearmashal Zaeim: I'll prepare the Sunspears to reclaim Champion's Dawn. Then I'll meet you at the old dock at Issnur Bay.
- Spearmashal Zaeim: Sunspears! Let's liberate Champion's Dawn!
- <Character name>: Aurene! If you can hear me, please protect them!
- The imprisoned storyteller is a reference to the position of 'dungeon master' in Dungeons & Dragons, and the third line in its dialogue specifically references the long-running Dungeons & Dragons livestream Critical Role.