The Hero of Istan
The Hero of Istan
- 1330 AE
- Living World Season 4
- Mordant Crescent Great Hall
(Domain of Istan)
Click to enlarge
Infiltrate the prison.
- Meet Sayida the Sly outside the Mordant Crescent Great Hall.
- Allow Sayida to put you in manacles.
- Let Sayida hand you over to the Mordant Crescent.
Escape the cells.
- Speak with Zaeim.
- Find a way to escape your cell.
- Collect your gear.
- Escape the dungeons.
- Defeat Warden Amala.
Leave the Great Hall.
- Get your communicator.
- Give the coin to Sayida the Sly.
- Investigate the commotion outside.
- Defeat the Great Hall defenders.
- Plan your next move with your allies.
|Stop Right There||Daybreak||1|
|Defeat the Awakened guard who goes to check on the riot before he can reach the top of the stairwell.Story Instance: The Hero of Istan||Stopped the Awakened Guard||1|
|The Hero of Istan||Daybreak||0|
|Execute your elaborate plan within the Mordant Crescent Great Hall.Journal: The Hero of Istan Completed||Completed the Hero of Istan||0|
|Thereby Hangs a Tale||Daybreak||1|
|Relive the tales of the imprisoned storyteller.Story Instance: The Hero of Istan||Met the Storyteller||1|
|Escape the dungeons without being spotted by the drunken Awakened.Story Instance: The Hero of Istan||Escaped the Dungeons||1|
- Sayida the Sly
- Sly Brawler
- Sly Cutthroat
- Sly Medic
- Sly Raider
- Sly Sharpshooter
- Spearmarshal Zaeim
- Sunspear Alchemist Recruit
- Sunspear Dervish Recruit
- Sunspear Paragon Recruit
- Cell Bars
- Cell Door Hinge
- Cell Door Lock
- Debris (The Hero of Istan)
- Disgusting Bucket
- Hidden Door
- Remains (The Hero of Istan)
- Strange Stone
- Tattered Book (Library Detective)
- Sayida the Sly: Ah, I was starting to think you'd wised up.
- <Character name>: No such luck.
- Sayida the Sly: Why are we even here? There's no sign of your Shadows agent or his cavalry yet.
- <Character name>: I trust Kito. The cavalry will be here.
- Sly Medic: Uh, Cap'n, these casks are getting heavy.
- Sayida the Sly: Well, I have my crew in position, enough of Mehdi's grog to fell a hydra, *and* a little something for you.
- Sayida the Sly: Do you have my coin?
- <Character name>: You'll get it when we have Zaeim out safe.
- Sly Medic: My back...
- Sayida the Sly: Okay, time to hand you over to the people who want you dead.
- Sayida the Sly: Oi! Captain Sayida the Sly, requesting entrance! I come with gifts!
- Sayida the Sly: Come on, pick up the pace, you miserable excuse for a hero. The warden hasn't got all day.
- Warden Amala: Back for more, Captain Sayida? The Sunspear's bounty wasn't enough for you?
- Sayida the Sly: I only live to give Joko what he wants, Warden Amala. Praise Joko.
- Warden Amala: Praise Joko.
- (The nearby Awakened Soldiers repeat "Praise Joko." in unison.)
- Sayida the Sly: And there's nothing he wants more than the Tyrian hero—in the flesh.
- Warden Amala: Well, I'll be a scarab's breakfast... How did you and your drunken wharf rats manage this?
- Sayida the Sly: Sorry, Warden. Captain's gotta have her secrets.
- Warden Amala: Hmph. Fine. I'll have the gold brought to the front hall. Take it and go. Now.
- Sayida the Sly: Without drinking a toast to the most magnificent Palawa Joko?
- Sayida the Sly: Wonder what he'd do if he heard you refused to honor him.
- Sayida the Sly: We've brought you the finest grog found outside the pleasure halls of Vabbi just for this purpose.
- Sly Medic: It's very heavy.
- Warden Amala: One toast—to honor the most glorious Palawa Joko.
- Taimi: Commander, it's Taimi. Are you there...?
- Warden Amala: Wait. What's that? Quiet, prisoner!
- During a cutscene
- Unknown Voice: Ahai...you in there. Are you dead?
- <Character name>: Not now, Taimi...
- Unknown Voice: Ah. Grog. Sleep it off, then.
- <Character name>: Wait. What happened?
- Spearmashal Zaeim: You're in the holding cells of the Mordant Crescent Great Hall.
- Unknown Voice: Keep it down over there!
- <Character name>: Ugh... Are you...Zaeim? The hero of Istan?
- Spearmashal Zaeim: That is what people call me, yes. And who are you?
- <Character name>: People call me the hero of Tyria.
- Spearmashal Zaeim: Oh—the famous commander. Agent Kito told us tales of how the two of you killed Balthazar.
- Mordant Crescent Jailer (1): Nonshense. Joko killeded Baltushar. He told us sho, himshelf...
- <Character name>: I'm here to rescue you.
- Spearmashal Zaeim: And how is that going?
- Mordant Crescent Jailer (1): You twos better— (hiccup)
- <Character name>: According to plan, believe it or not. Now we need to find a way out.
- Spearmashal Zaeim: It's no use. I've tried everything.
- Mordant Crescent Jailer (2): Shome kinda riot outside. Shunspearsh. (burp) Gonna sheck it out...
- Spearmashal Zaeim: My people are here?
- <Character name>: A friend is bringing some help from the outside.
- Spearmashal Zaeim: What did you do to the guard?
- Spearmashal Zaeim: You're wasting your time. I've tried everything on this lock.
- Spearmashal Zaeim: Is it true you and Agent Kito also killed two Elder Dragons?
- Spearmashal Zaeim: You might as well just give up.
Interacting with various objects:
- Cell Bars: The bars are solid iron.
- Mesmer profession only.
Iron? That's it?
- The Iron is very strong.
But there's nothing magic about it? Just iron?
- It's just iron. Strong, solid iron.
This is too good to be true.
- Truly. Iron. That's it.
It's not possible. Through walls? Can't be done.
- The bars are spaced a bit apart. It would take some extra effort, but it might be possible...
This is a Mordant Crescent prison. Escaping can't be this easy.
- Contrary to what some mesmers believe, the best answer is the simplest one.
- Blink Well, here goes nothing... Gain the skill
- No way.
- Best not risk it.
- This is the end.
- It appears there's no way out.
- Surely these bars are impassable.
- Perhaps you should look around.
- Remains: Not much left of the previous occupant.
- Ranger profession only. Gives access to Vermin Call. But this round fragment could work as a summoning horn.
- Keep looking.
- Disgusting Bucket: That water is positively foul.
- Keep looking.
- Strange Stones: These stones have an odd sheen to them.
- Keep looking.
- Cell Door Hinge: Several hinges hold the door in place.
- Keep looking.
- Cell Door Lock: The lock is forged iron.
But the keyhole is large.
- Your fingers are too large to fit, but something smaller could fit inside and work the tumblers.
- See what else is in the cell.
- Perhaps you should look around.
- After opening your cell
- Spearmashal Zaeim: Aren't you the crafty one. The jailer has the keys on his belt.
- After taking the jailer's key
- <Character name>: I'm going to get us out of here, and then I need you to get me into Fahranur.
- Spearmashal Zaeim: That's a tall order. One thing at a time.
- After freeing Spearmarshal Zaiem
- Spearmashal Zaeim: Thank you, Hero of the Mordant Crescent Great Hall.
- While collecting your gear
- <Character name>: Damn. My communicator's not here... So, can you get me into Fahranur?
- Spearmashal Zaeim: As I said, one thing at a time. Why don't we get out of here first?
- If spotted by a drunken Awakened Soldier while escaping
- Awakened Occultist: Prishoners...shtop 'em!
- Interacting with the door to the Warden's Quarters
- Taimi: Commander, please, are you there...?
- <Character name>: Taimi?
- Taimi: He's got me—I need you...
- <Character name>: I'm coming, Taimi!
- Warden Amala: I knew this had to be a ruse. I'd expect it from you, Commander, but Sayida...Joko would not approve.
- Sayida the Sly: Who needs approval when I've got his gold?
- Taimi: Oh no...he's coming...
- <Character name>: Where is she?
- Warden Amala: He commands that you must die!
- When Warden Amala reaches 70%
- Taimi: Hurry, Commander!
- When Warden Amala reaches 55%
- Taimi: Where are you?
- When Warden Amala reaches 25%
- Taimi: Commander! Why aren't you answering?
- After defeating Warden Amala
- Warden Amala: Sweet release...
- After getting your communicator
- <Character name>: Taimi! Taimi, where are you?
- Taimi: Commander! I-I think it's the city from Aurene's vision!
- Taimi: Oh no, he's coming!
- <Character name>: Who? Who's got you, Taimi?
- Taimi: No, no, stay away! Please...
- Mysterious Voice: Your turn, little one.
- <Character name>: No. It can't be...
- Sayida the Sly: Joko. Sounds like he has a friend of yours. I suppose you'll want help saving her next—
- Spearmashal Zaeim: Not from you. Commander, this pirate is the one who *sold* me to Joko.
- Sayida the Sly: Relax, Sunspear. He'd never pay me twice for the same merchandise.
- <Character name>: We don't have time for this. My friend is in that sick lich's hands. I have to go help her!
- Sayida the Sly: Fine. There is one matter outstanding, however...
- After handing Sayida the coin
- <Character name>: Take your damn coin.
- Sayida the Sly: Your gratitude is...touching.
- Sayida the Sly: That's my cue to get out of here. I suggest you do the same.
- Investigating the commotion outside
- Spearmashal Zaeim: My Sunspears!
- After defeating the Great Hall defenders
- Rytlock Brimstone: Commander! I heard you pulled a Thackeray and got yourself captured. Is that the spearmarshal?
- <Character name>: We've got new problems: Joko's back, and he's got Taimi—at Fahranur.
- Canach: Aurene's vision!
- Rytlock Brimstone: He has Taimi? Let's GO!
- Spearmashal Zaeim: I'll prepare the Sunspears to reclaim Champion's Dawn. Then I'll meet you at the old dock at Issnur Bay.
- Spearmashal Zaeim: Sunspears! Let's liberate Champion's Dawn!
- <Character name>: Aurene! If you can hear me, please protect them!
- Each profession has a different way of escaping the cell.
- Revenant: Channels the power of the Legendary Prisoner Palawa Joko to escape the cell.
- Ranger: Uses part of a skeleton as a summoning horn and calls insects to pick the lock.
- Warrior: Channels their rage and punches through the bars.
- Guardian: Uses a Hammer of Wisdom to smash their way out.
- Elementalist: Conjures a Flame Axe to melt the bars.
- Mesmer: Blinks out.
- Thief: Picks the lock.
- Engineer: Uses the various debris to remove the bar hinges.
- Necromancer: Summons a Flesh Wurm to Necrotic Traversal their way out of the cell.
- The imprisoned storyteller is a reference to the position of 'dungeon master' in Dungeons & Dragons, and the third line in its dialogue specifically references the long-running Dungeons & Dragons livestream Critical Role.