Taimi's original appearance.
Taimi's apperance during LWS3.
In research, there's no reward without risk!
Taimi (born in 1313 AE, in late spring or early summer) is an asura studying at the College of Synergetics. An apprentice of the renowned golemancer Zojja, Taimi requires the assistance of a golem named Scruffy to get around, owing to a degenerative disease that prevents her from walking long distances and may spread to other parts of her body as she gets older. Although there is no known cure, this progeny is quick to refuse any offer of pity.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Locations
- 3 Story involvement
- 4 Event involvement
- 5 Combat abilities
- 6 Dialogue
- 7 Quotes
- 8 Related achievements
- 9 Gallery
- 10 Notes
- 11 Trivia
- 12 See also
- 13 References
Taimi was born in late spring or early summer of 1313 AE. An orphan since birth, she became a ward of the Progeny Protective Services, a social agency division in Rata Sum. She showed a brilliant mind from an early age but was physically hampered by a degenerative disease that affected her movement. She enrolled in the College of Synergetics and eventually became the golemancer Zojja's apprentice. During her college days she befriended the brothers Blish and Gorrik.
Taimi appeared at the Marionette's Landing in Lornar's Pass in 1326 AE, claiming to be on an important field experiment for her college. After the defeat of the Twisted Marionette, Logan Thackeray took her to Lion's Arch, where she claimed Braham was her guardian (although the norn denied ever meeting her).
Taimi made several attempts to get Braham to take her back to Rata Sum and got to know the Pact Commander, Kasmeer Meade, Marjory Delaqua, and Rox. She showed an intense interest in Scarlet Briar who had been behind the attacks of the Twisted Marionette and various nefarious alliances, and expressed a desire to meet with her. When Scarlet broke Mai Trin out of Fort Marriner, Taimi who was followed by Braham pursued her into the Edge of the Mists where her golem Scruffy was damaged. As Taimi repaired her golem in the Mists, she and Braham spent time together and got to know each other better.
Since the attack on Lion's Arch, Taimi hung around in the safety of Vigil Keep, hoping to find an eyewitness account of Scarlet in Lion's Arch. She ultimately realized the terror Scarlet had wrought when witnessing the loss of life from the Battle for Lion's Arch although she still acknowledged Scarlet as a genius even if a troubled one. She stayed safely out of Lion's Arch while the Pact Commander's party killed Scarlet aboard the Breachmaker; however, Scarlet still succeeded even in death when her falling flagship managed to redirect the ley lines underneath the city to the Heart of Maguuma where an Elder Dragon's roar was heard.
After the Elder Dragon Mordremoth's awakening in 1326 AE, Taimi and the rest of the team, including the Pact Commander, were called to Dry Top by the Seraph in order to investigate some strange vines growing in the region, as well as the crash of the Zephyr Sanctum. They chased down Aerin, the maddened sylvari saboteur of that crash who perished in the ensuing battle with the team, and later discovered a strange room belonging to Scarlet prior to her visions of the Eternal Alchemy. Realizing that Aerin had showed similar symptoms of madness as Scarlet, they decided to investigate a potential connection between the two.
Being the foremost expert on Scarlet, Taimi took to the artifacts and quickly became absorbed in researching them. She later discovered a secret path to a ley line hub which she assisted the Commander and their group in retaking for themselves. She then continued her research into ley line energy which helped expose the vulnerability of the waypoint system as well as impending Mordrem attacks on both Fort Concordia and Fort Salma. While the Commander was assisted by the rest of the team in resolving those issues, Taimi discovered Omadd's machine, the device Scarlet had used to view the Eternal Alchemy, and sought to use it on herself. After a scuffle with the Commander, however, it was the Commander that was subjected to the mind opening experience instead of Taimi.
As the Commander set off to recruit the world leaders to the World Summit to discuss the threat Mordremoth was now posing, Taimi finished work on her waypoint calibration device despite the snide remarks and overbearing presence of Councillor Phlunt. After finishing the device with the visiting Commander's help, Taimi started the process of recalibrating the waypoint system, which finished with Mordemoth's minions attempting to destroy the device. With the Commander's help, the minions were pushed back, but Phlunt demanded that Taimi hand over her research and knowledge to hold in trust until she graduated from the college. Taimi did not want to give up what she had worked so hard to achieve, so she fled deeper into Dry Top before being cornered by the Inquest. The Commander and Braham fought the Inquest off, and ultimately convinced Taimi to give up the device for the greater good.
Taimi was later invited to the World Summit in the Grove. Due to her golem and her refusal to give it up, she stayed on the lower level and assisted with evacuating and protecting the world leaders when the Shadow of the Dragon led a Mordrem assault on the summit. The Pale Tree was left weakened after the dragon champion had been driven off, but the attack convinced the five races that they needed to pool their resources together and mobilize the Pact to take the fight to Mordremoth before the Elder Dragon would be too powerful to stop.
Taimi moved to the Pact staging ground of Camp Resolve in the Silverwastes where she began studying under the charr engineer Brun Ingotspitter. Later, she was mentioned to have returned to her studies at the College of Synergetics during the downfall of the Shadow of the Dragon. However, as word got out of the Pact fleet's destruction in Mordremoth's surprise assault, Taimi returned to Camp Resolve.
When the Pact fleet was brought down by Mordremoth in 1328 AE, Taimi joined Canach and a few other Pact soldiers in securing the passage into Verdant Brink just beyond Amber Sandfall. With the Pact Commander's arrival, the two had joined alongside Braham Eirsson, Marjory Delaqua, Kasmeer Meade, and Rox, and Taimi learned what had been happening to the party in her absence.
In Verdant Brink, the party encountered Laranthir of the Wild and other Pact survivors and scouted to find Destiny's Edge members who had gone missing after the crash. They discovered that Mordremoth had managed to turn many sylvari to its side, forming the Mordrem Guard, while sylvari who were still loyal to the Pact were struggling with the voice of Mordremoth which was trying to overwhelm their minds.
While searching the jungle for any leads on the whereabouts of Destiny's Edge and Marshal Trahearne, the group encountered the Itzel hylek and agreed to help their village against the Mordrem assault. Taimi advocated for joining the Nuhoch Tizlak in taking the fight to the enemy. Once the Mordrem had been defeated, the Itzel and Nuhoch assisted the party in finding a trail that led to a nearby Mordrem prison camp which contained various Pact soldiers as well as Nightmare Courtiers.
After saving the prisoners, the team found a cell which contained both Braham's mother Eir Stegalkin and Grand Duchess Faolain of the Nightmare Court. Despite misgivings about Faolain's appearance, they freed both women only for the pair to be ambushed by Mordrem Vineteeth, special hunters created by Mordremoth, one of which took Faolain while the other confronted and killed Eir. The party defeated the Vinetooth and left Braham to mourn his mother with Rox as his company, heading deeper into the jungle.
After entering Auric Basin, the party encountered the mysterious Ruka the Wanderer who was also opposed to Mordremoth along with his fellow Exalted. They found Destiny's Edge member Caithe, who was in possession of Glint's Egg, nearby only to witness her being ambushed by Faolain who had been turned into a creature resembling the Vineteeth from earlier. The Commander took the egg and successfully delivered it to safety in Tarir, the Forgotten City while eluding Faolain.
Following Caithe's hasty departure, Taimi became fascinated with the Exalted's magic. After the Commander was separated from the rest by Faolain, the prodigy constructed holodiscs to leave as a trail, which helped the Commander catch up with the party. Upon Scruffy reading strange energy, Taimi left the group in search for it and, with the Commander's aid, reactivated a device that mapped out sources of ley energy across the Heart of Maguuma. This map revealed the location of not only the Elder Dragon Mordremoth, but the lost asuran city of Rata Novus.
Upon learning that the Rata Novans had allied with the Exalted before in studying the Elder Dragons, the Commander led Taimi, Braham, and Canach into a detour of the city while the rest of the group continued tracking the surviving members of Destiny's Edge through the jungle. The Commander's party found Rata Novus abandoned, wiped out by the insectoid chak, but Taimi was able to devise how to power the city back up to access their research. Just outside the city's "dragon lab", however, the party had become trapped, and Taimi decided to use Scruffy to reconnect a ley energy conductor, which overloaded Scruffy, destroying the golem. Unable to continue the journey into the jungle without mobility, Taimi decided it was best to remain behind in Rata Novus to look over the city's research and facilities while the rest of the party left to confront Mordremoth.
In the aftermath of Mordremoth's death, Taimi learned of the deaths of Faolain and Trahearne as well as the injuries which Destiny's Edge members Logan Thackeray and Zojja had suffered in Mordrem captivity. By 1329 AE, she revealed the discovery of Rata Novus to her asuran peers. Although many asura followed to rebuild and study the lost city, Taimi kept the concealed dragon research laboratory as her own secret. She began several experiments based on the Elder Dragons, expanding Auric Basin's ley-energy map range across Tyria, and tried filtering different forms of magic through a preserved chak organ which she nicknamed Spencer. With the assistance of Moto, Taimi was able to boot up a virtual reality simulator below Rata Novus where users could practise fighting dragon minions.
Through her readings on ley-energy, Taimi was forced to tell the Pact Commander of foreboding news—the Elder Dragon Primordus had become active and traveled from the Shiverpeak Mountains to the southwest towards the Ring of Fire in search of magic released from Mordremoth's death. In response Taimi intentionally leaked the news amongst the Arcane Council, prompting them to send asuran resources to Ember Bay. She also handpicked a few trusted asuran associates to form the New Novus Krewe which would assist her in studying the Elder Dragons discreetly from more self-serving krewes. During this time Braham sent word to his friends that another Elder Dragon, Jormag, had become active as well.
After leaving dragon lab, Taimi and the Commander witnessed Rytlock being taken in by the Adamant Guard who had been ordered to escort him to the Black Citadel for questioning about his time in the Mists. After Rytlock's departure, Taimi and the Commander saw a scared asuran krewe member Windall arriving from Ember Bay and revealing that the Destroyers now inhabiting the island had changed and gained new, deadly powers. Thinking on Windall's story and her experiments on the chak organ Spencer, Taimi realized that the surviving Elder Dragons may have begun absorbing the magic spectrum of the fallen Elder Dragons Mordremoth and Zhaitan and gained their abilities. To test this theory, Taimi sent the Commander to Ember Bay to gather samples from the changed Destroyers.
Taimi later learned that a young dragon named Aurene had hatched from Glint's egg in Tarir and that the Commander had defended the hatchling from a Destroyer attack with the aid of not only the Exalted but also Lazarus, the last of the mursaat, who had wished to forge an alliance with the Commander in the fight against the Elder Dragons.
After researching the Destroyer samples which the Commander had brought her, Taimi came to the conclusion that her theory of Elder Dragons absorbing the fallen Elder Dragons' influences was correct and learned that the Rata Novan research on Primordus suggested that its magic could be countered by other magic. After a brief talk with the Commander, the prodigy realized that the magic of Jormag, an ice dragon, could potentially counteract the fire magic of Primordus and vice versa. To test her newest theory, she suggested the Commander travel to the far reaches of the Shiverpeak Mountains to gather samples from any potentially altered Icebrood roaming there.
While the Pact Commander traveled to the Crystal Desert in 1330 AE to stop the rogue god Balthazar from killing the Elder Dragon Kralkatorrik and destroying Tyria in the process, Taimi remained in Tarir to watch over Aurene. However, Aurene began acting more and more aggressively over time, and Caithe and the Luminate discussed the issue with Taimi who stayed in contact with the Commander via a remote communication device.
They learned that Aurene was reacting to sensing her brother Vlast's death at the hands of Balthazar, and the trio did their best to try to calm the hatchling down. When Aurene sensed that Balthazar was about to kill the Commander, however, she escaped from Tarir and flew to the Crystal Desert while her caretakers could do nothing but watch helplessly as she departed. Taimi tried to contact the Commander with important information during the Battle of Kodash Bazaar but the distortion caused by the magic unleashed in the clash between Balthazar and Kralkatorrik cut off her signal before the Commander could hear what she had to say.
When Phlunt had all but taken over Taimi's former lab in Rata Novus, Taimi decided to leave. She and Scruffy 2.0 flew to the Free City of Amnoon aboard Ellen Kiel's airship with representatives from Lion's Arch just in time to witness the Commander returning from vanquishing Balthazar. Taimi explained her reasons for traveling to Amnoon before learning that Kralkatorrik had absorbed most of Balthazar's energy. However, the conversation was cut short by Chief Councilor Imann who requested the Commander's presence to the party as the hero.
While the Commander delivered a speech to the eager festival audience, Rytlock filled Taimi in on what had happened in the desert. The sudden arrival of the recovered Marjory lifted the spirits of Dragon's Watch although their joy was cut short when a Brandstorm summoned by Kralkatorrik suddenly hit Amnoon. The storm was over shortly after, however, and Taimi decided to use the calm before the next storm to make one last call to her dragon lab. She pranked Phlunt by sounding like an angered Iron Legion charr before ending the call, feeling less sour about losing much of her research equipment to Phlunt's krewe.
After the defeat of Balthazar, Taimi and Rytlock rendezvoused with the Commander in the Amnoon Southern Outskirts to discuss how to proceed with Kralkatorrik. Their discussion ended abruptly as another Brandstorm formed over Amnoon, prompting the Commander and Rytlock to save the city from the empowered Branded while Taimi stayed behind to run some analysis. As a Branded Griffon was about to attack the Commander during the battle, Taimi appeared and blasted the griffon using Scruffy 2.0's newly installed offensive capabilities. The group members, who were joined by Shadows Agent Kito and Canach, witnessed a shared vision from a grown Aurene that made them aware of the approaching threat of the Awakened and pointed them in the direction of Fahranur, the First City. The Commander then made their way over to the Domain of Istan to investigate the matter.
While the Commander was in Istan, Palawa Joko found and kidnapped Taimi in order to enter an Inquest lab set up in Fahranur so that he could launch his attacks on Tyria using asura gates. Although Taimi was reluctant to share information with him at first, Joko threatened her life and forced her to follow his commands. After learning that Taimi was in danger from an abruptly cut transmission, the Commander rushed to Fahranur along with Canach, Rytlock, and Spearmarshal Zaeim to rescue her. They were later joined by Rox and Braham, who got there via an asura gate that the Awakened had been using to enter Tyria. By the time they reached Taimi, they realized that Joko had overridden Scruffy 2.0's controls to trap Taimi inside of the golem and initiated an oxygen purge in order to suffocate her. Having no choice, the Commander destroyed Scruffy 2.0 to break Taimi out. Although Taimi was saved, the near death experience left its mark on her, and she stopped using her hair bow.
In the time since the Fahranur lab attack, Taimi found the name of an Inquest scientist, Blish, and explained that he was her friend from college. While the Commander infiltrated Lab Sigma-05 in 1331 AE, Taimi learned that Gorrik, Blish's younger brother, had joined the Inquest as well. She expressed worry about the brothers' safety when Dragon's Watch found out that the Awakened had invaded the Inquest complex where the pair had been working in. As Dragon's Watch assaulted Rata Primus, the Inquest's base of operations in Sandswept Isles, Taimi stayed behind on Sayida the Sly's airship and waited for the brothers to be escorted out.
When Taimi saw that Blish had become a golem, she was intrigued by the idea, saying he was "free of life's frailties", while most had reacted with horror or revulsion. After learning that Blish had saved data related to Inquest studies on the Scarab Plague and Kralkatorrik, Taimi recruited the brothers to her krewe. The three of them began working together to study the notes Blish had been able to save on his hard drive.
After the death of Palawa Joko in the Battle of Gandara, Taimi was present during the meeting between the remaining Elonian leaders at a summit held in the Fortress of Jahai. While the Commander attended the summit, Taimi took Aurene outside, then escorted her from the fortress during the attack by the Death-Branded Shatterer. Once the Shatterer's assault had ended, Taimi asked the Commander to recover data from various areas affected by the weakening of the barrier between Tyria and the Mists and came to a chilling conclusion: the rifts were being caused by Kralkatorrik testing its new abilities with the power it had consumed from Balthazar. She eventually realized that Kralkatorrik was actively hunting for Aurene and that it was using Aurene's presence as a physical anchor through which to invade Tyrian locations from the Mists.
When Blish sacrificed himself to power the tracker in Balthazar's greatsword during the excursion into the Mists, he told the Commander that their group needed to stop keeping secrets. Upon learning of Blish's fate and his last words from the Commander, Taimi revealed that her degenerative disease was no longer in remission and that the pain had gotten worse, and she was not sure how much time she had left.
- Crystal Oasis
- Domain of Kourna
- Jahai Bluffs
- Episode 16: The Origins of Madness
- Episode 17: The Edge of the Mists
- Episode 20: Battle for Lion's Arch: Aftermath
- Special Event: Festival of the Four Winds
- Episode 1: Gates of Maguuma
- Episode 2: Entanglement
- Episode 3: The Dragon's Reach: Part 1
- Episode 4: The Dragon's Reach: Part 2
- Episode 5: Echoes of the Past
- Episode 6: Tangled Paths
- Act I
- Act II
- Act III
- Episode 1: Out of the Shadows
- Episode 2: Rising Flames
- Episode 3: A Crack in the Ice
- Episode 4: The Head of the Snake
- Episode 5: Flashpoint
- Episode 6: One Path Ends
Note: As part of Always Time for Taimi, there is optional dialogue with Taimi during every Path of Fire story step while in the open world.
- Act I
- Act III
- Episode 1: Daybreak
- Episode 2: A Bug in the System
- Episode 3: Long Live the Lich
- Episode 4: A Star to Guide Us
- Hold the line! (34) [Group Event]
For previous dialogue, see here.
- At Sun's Refuge
- Aurene is going to be okay. Right, Commander?
I hope so. I'm worried about her.
- Taimi: Me too. I understand how she feels, you know? I just hope she's okay out there.
What are you doing?
- Taimi: Well...Aurene is under so much pressure right now. So I'm building her a safe place for when she gets scared.
- Taimi: She can stay here when she comes back. She'll come back...right?
- Good, Better, Nest is locked.)
Is there anything I can do? (after asking what is she doing and
- Well, I've written to old friends—people Aurene has helped—all over Elona. They have gifts for her. But they're so far away...
- Good, Better, Nest)
I can visit them. (unlocks
- That's great! It'll remind Aurene of how much she's loved. When she sees everything. When she's back. You know.
- I'm on it.
- That's tough.
What do you think of the nest so far? (once the collection has been unlocked)
- Leaves, branches...I don't know. There must be something else we can add. (before acquiring any of the gifts)
- I'll look.
- It's not bad. Getting to be a place a dragon could love. Wonder what it'll look like when it's done. (before acquiring all of the gifts)
- We'll see.
- This feels like a proper dragon nest. Look at all the love that went into it! She has to come back now, right? (after acquiring five of the gifts)
- I hope so. I miss her too.
- Look at all this! I've never lived anywhere this nice. Or this full of love. No dragon could say no to this. Am I right? (after acquiring all of the gifts)
- You're right.
- She'll be fine.
- Got candy?
- I'm behaving.
- Hm. What?
- Hello, hello, hello.
- Oh, hi.
- It wasn't me.
- Look at me. I'm taller than you. (When inside Scruffy)
- Greetings, organic creature. Just kidding, it's me in here. (When inside Scruffy)
- I'm bored. Let's do something. (When inside Scruffy)
- Built this thing myself. Check it out—classic vintage parts. (When inside Scruffy)
- Ever combine limbic crystals and arcane reducers? I have! (When inside Scruffy)
- Combat chatter
- Woooo! Let's rumble. (When inside Scruffy)
- Edge of the Mists: Raiders of the Lost Parts — Find and retrieve Taimi's golem parts from the Edge of the Mists. (15) (Historical)
- The Dragon's Reach, Part 2: Defender of the Tiny — Protect Taimi from taking any damage while she controls her recalibration device. (15)
- The Dragon's Reach, Part 2: Mischief Maker — Urge Taimi to yell at Braham during the recalibration device demonstration. (5)
- Heart of Thorns: Act 2: Mushroom Conservationist — Help Taimi collect saurian bones without using more than 4 mushrooms. (5)
- Crystal Desert: Always Time for Taimi — Call Taimi and update her on your desert adventures after each step. (5 )
- Daybreak: You Left This — Find Taimi's hair bow and return it to her. (1)
- A Star to Guide Us: Good, Better, Nest — Collect at least 5 gifts for the nest Taimi is building. (3)
- Concept art
Taimi's Hologram in The Predator's Path.
Taimi's Hologram in Taimi's Game.
Taimi without her ribbon in The First City.
- Taimi was introduced with the January 21, 2014 game update.
- Whenever the player brings up a dialogue window with Taimi during Living World Season 2 while she is riding on or inside Scruffy, the window shows artwork instead of the usual in-game portrait. This is due to how the dialogue window takes a snapshot of the model's head for the portrait, which in this case would be Scruffy's head rather than Taimi's due to them being one NPC model.
- Taimi and Zommoros are the only NPCs ever represented by artwork in the dialogue window.
- Dialogue windows with Taimi while she is in Scruffy 2.0 do not present artwork, but instead display Scruffy 2.0's model.
- The identities of Taimi's parents have remained unknown to this day although exploring them in the future is a possiblity.
- Braham initially thought Taimi's name was Tiny.
- Taimi is voiced by Debi Derryberry.
- Taimi has her own leitmotif, called "Taimi's Theme", which was composed by Maclaine Diemer.
- Taimi was named by Angel Leigh McCoy after a 95-year-old Finnish woman she had befriended who died during Taimi's development.
- Taimi means 'seedling' or 'sapling' in Finnish.
- Associated items
- Mini Dragon's Watch Taimi
- Mini Holographic Taimi
- Taimi's Dye Kit
- Taimi's Hair Bow
- Taimi's Outfit
- Token of Taimi's Gratitude
- ^ Guild Wars 2 - Developer Behind the Scenes: All about Taimi, YouTube.com
- ^ a b Edge of the Mists
- Taimi: I was born this way. My legs were never strong enough to carry me very far. Don't pity me, though. I hate pity. And I don't need it because I do just fine for myself.
- <Character name>: I can see that. Can your legs be cured?
- Taimi: That remains to be seen. The degenerative effects of my condition may spread to other parts of my body as I get older, but for now it's just the legs.
- ^ Edge of the Mists
- <Character name>: So you're an orphan?
- Taimi: That's right. I've been a ward of the Rata Sum social-agency division—Progeny Protective Services—since I was a baby. But neither that nor my legs ever slowed me down much.
- ^ Notes from Rata Novus
- ^ a b Contact Point
- ^ Post by Mark Katzbach quoting Bobby Stein in "Dolyak Express Feb 10, 2014", Old Guild Wars 2 Official Forum (Archived)
- ^ Edge of the Mists
- Braham Eirsson: What's your story anyway, Tiny? How does a little thing like you get into such big trouble?
- Taimi: It's Taimi. And I'm a progeny prodigy. I've got important people fighting for the right to be my teacher.
- ^ Post by Scott McGough in "Taimi's Voice...", Old Guild Wars 2 Official Forum (Archived)