Interactive map (Upper level)
My wrath is as fierce as my intellect.
Councillor Phlunt is an old asura, member of the Arcane Council and dean of the College of Synergetics. Like many other asura, he is arrogant beyond his worth and thinks highly of himself. He sees himself, and his research, above all others though has recently begun to see potential in Taimi. Phlunt acts as the Arcane Council's ambassador to other races, attending political events such as the party Minister Caudecus set up to celebrate the Ebonhawke Treaty.
In 1325 AE, he and the rest of the council attended the Snaff Prize competition as judges and rated the inventions of rival krewes of Teyo and the Savant among other entries. Despite facing some obstacles along the way, the invention of the Savant's krewe—the Interspatial Translocator, M.I.G., or VOED—ultimately impressed the judges enough to win the Snaff Prize. He and the other councillors later attended a meeting with the purpose of making Varkk the latest councillor. However, due to the Savant and Zojja's interference which exposed Varkk's crimes with the Inquest, Varkk lost his would-be seat in the council before he could claim it.
Later that year, Councillor Haia attempted to assassinate her fellow councillors with the altered VAL-A Golem. The Savant and Zojja managed to prevent the attempt on the council's lives just in time and exposed Haia's schemes. However, as Haia had not left any evidence behind so that the golem tampering could be traced back to her, the council elected to keep an eye on her in the meantime. The Savant and Zojja also prevented another attempt on the council's lives by the Inquest member Kudu who had intended to flood the council chambers and Rata Sum with the Transatmospheric Converter.
As the Ebonhawke Treaty negotiations had reached a favorable turning point for the charr and humans, Minister Caudecus Beetlestone invited ambassadors of the five major races to his manor for a party celebrating the occasion, which also included Queen Jennah, Captain Logan Thackeray, and Zojja. Phlunt traveled to the mansion as the Arcane Council's representative and was impressed by the design of the sausages that were being served there although he was disappointed that no one wanted to talk to him about his Interstitial Spellholder. He had small talk with the other guests, including the future Pact Commander.
During the party, the artist Uzolan suddenly went rogue and sent a golem to attack the guests while helping the Separatists kidnap Queen Jennah and ambassadors Mia Kindleshot and Sigfast in the ensuing chaos. Phlunt managed to survive the encounter unscathed and eventually learned that the Commander, Logan and Zojja had defeated the Separatists and freed Queen Jennah.
When the Pact Commander began to call forth a summit of Tyrian leaders to discuss the issue of the Elder Dragon Mordremoth's rising, Phlunt accompanied Taimi to Omadd's Machine in Dry Top in 1327 AE. He initially refused to attend the summit as the Arcane Council's representative unless something was done about the Mordrem vines assaulting waypoints across the continent. When Taimi had built a device to solve the issue, Phlunt used his rank and ties to Taimi's college, the College of Synergetics, to obtain proprietary ownership of her device. Despite initial hostilities from this move, Taimi and the Pact Commander handed the device over, and Phlunt attended the summit begrudgingly.
At the summit, though Phlunt was quick to voice complaints, he was also quick to voice the threat that Mordremoth posed. When the Shadow of the Dragon assaulted the Grove, injured the Pale Tree and threatened the lives of everyone present before being driven off, Phlunt was convinced to help rally the asura to aid the Pact in the planned assault on the destructive Elder Dragon. He ordered one of the Peacemakers to spy on Zojja while the Pact set up a forward base at Camp Resolve. However, the Peacemaker had no intention of following Phlunt's orders, and the councillor would be unaware of the deception due to not accompanying the Pact on their mission to the Heart of Maguuma.
When Rata Novus was discovered in Tangled Depths during the campaign against Mordremoth and news of its existence spread following the Elder Dragon's demise, Phlunt once again used his rank as Taimi's superior in the College of Synergetics to usurp command of researching the lost city. Despite Phlunt's continuous probing of her actions, Taimi had managed to keep the most crucial of information—the Novan's research on the Elder Dragons—a secret so she could analyze it in peace.
However, when Taimi discovered that the Elder Dragon Primordus had moved to the Ring of Fire in 1329 AE, she purposefully informed Phlunt about it to shift his focus from her to other matters. Phlunt, in turn, sent a krewe to Ember Bay to gather research, though most of this krewe had stronger loyalties to Taimi despite the difference in rank.
When the mursaat Lazarus approached Rata Novus in 1330 AE and was revealed as Balthazar, the God of Fire and War, Phlunt "led" (from the rear) the charge of the Rata Novus research krewes against Balthazar's mercenary forces. Having discovered the lab on Elder Dragon research, Phlunt promptly began studying the secret room, admitting that Taimi had pulled many tricks on him and that he could blind himself to certain things.
Following Balthazar's demise in the Battle of Kodash Bazaar, Taimi had left the Dragon Lab which Phlunt had taken over. While in the lab, Phlunt suddenly witnessed one of the lab's communication devices activating despite being told that Taimi had deactivated all of them prior to her departure. The councillor communicated with someone who introduced herself as a centurion of the Iron Legion. Upon learning that Taimi had seemingly made a profitable deal with the centurion about supplying the legion with golems, Phlunt was eager to receive payment from Taimi's work. However, the centurion pointed out that she hated plagiarists and that she would be sending the golems to assault the lab instead. Phlunt was horrified by the Iron Legion's planned siege, unaware that he had been subjected to a prank call by Taimi.
- Chapter 1: Experiments Gone Wrong
- Chapter 2: Interested Parties
- Episode 3: The Dragon's Reach: Part 1
- Episode 4: The Dragon's Reach: Part 2
- Why do you youngsters never watch where you're going?
Are you a Councilor?
- Where did you imagine you were, some auction house?
Yeah. Got any deals?
- Shut your yap. I don't need to take your sass. Leave me be!
- On my way.
Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend your vast intellect, sir.
- Ah, clever: a self-deferential device to coerce me into further conversation. Well, I won't fall for it!
- No attempt at deception intended, sir. Good day.
Certainly not. This is the Arcane Council chamber, and you must be Councilor Phlunt.
- A pity you showed your hand so early by feigning ignorance as to my title and name. I won't have another word with you.
- Very well.
- I see. I'll be on my way, then.
- Sorry to bother you, sir.
- My ears! It's good to see you.
- What do you require?
- I've forgotten more than you'll ever know.
- The Eternal Alchemy contains every answer.
- Phlunt is voiced by Steve Blum.
- He wears the Dry Bones armor set without the helm and shoulders.
- Phlunt's name is used as a verb when describing the concept of someone else taking credit for one's work.
- During the development of A Bug in the System in Living World Season 4, Phlunt was originally intended to be revealed as a member of the Inquest and one of the main antagonists of that episode, playing a part in the previous draft of that episode's final boss fight alongside another character bearing a similar name to Hadya. Phlunt also had a miniature wearing Inquest gear that was found in the game client's data, but it was not obtainable in game. The aforementioned data was completely removed from the game client by the release of Long Live the Lich.
- ^ Sun's Refuge ambient dialogue
- ^ Return to Camp Resolve
- Peacemaker (1): Phlunt wants me to spy on Zojja for him. What am I? His flunky?
- Peacemaker (2): Phlunt's flunky. Heh. What'd you tell him?
- Peacemaker (1): I lied and said I would. He's too much of a coward to come with us. He'll never know.
- ^ Taimi's Game
- <Character name>: You already have people in the Fire Islands?
- Taimi: I have some more, let's say "trusted associates" there setting up a gate and scouting.
- Taimi: But Phlunt really organized the whole operation. Primordus's movement was something I purposely let slip.
- Taimi: It's good because it keeps him out of my ears for a little while, and it also makes him feel like a big shot.
- <Character name>: Only sixteen years old and you're puppet-mastering one of your superiors...
- ^ Contact Point
- ^ Buried Insight
- Character name>: Point taken. Should I send word to someone back at Rata Sum, let them know you're here?
- Taimi: Uh... No, thanks. I'll take care of that...in, like, a few weeks or so.
- <Character name>: Don't want to get Phlunted again, huh?
- Taimi: Not particularly.
- ^ A glimpse at how the story changed at the start of season 4, Reddit.com