My wrath is as fierce as my intellect.
— Councillor Phlunt
Councillor Phlunt is an old asura, member of the Arcane Council and dean of the College of Synergetics. Like many other asura, he is arrogant beyond his worth and thinks highly of himself. He sees himself, and his research, above all others though has recently begun to see potential in Taimi. Phlunt acts as the Arcane Council's ambassador to other races, attending political events such as the party Minister Caudecus set up to celebrate the human-charr ceasefire.
When the Pact Commander began to call forth a summit of Tyrian leaders to discuss the issue of the Elder Dragon Mordremoth's rising, Phlunt accompanied Taimi to Omadd's Machine in Dry Top. He initially refused to attend the summit as the Arcane Council's representative unless something was done about the Mordrem vines assaulting waypoints across the continent. When Taimi had built a device to solve the issue, Phlunt used his rank and ties to Taimi's college, the College of Synergetics, to obtain proprietary ownership of her device. Despite initial hostilities from this move, Taimi and the Pact Commander handed the device over, and Phlunt attended the summit begrudgingly.
At the summit, though he was quick to voice complaints, he was also quick to voice the threat that Mordremoth posed. When the Shadow of the Dragon assaulted the Grove, injured the Pale Tree and threatened the lives of everyone present, Phlunt was convinced to help rally asura to aid the Pact in the planned assault on the destructive Elder Dragon.
When Rata Novus was discovered during the campaign against Mordremoth, Phlunt once again used his rank as Taimi's superior in the College of Synergetics to usurp command of researching the lost city. Despite Phlunt's continuous probing of her actions, Taimi had managed to keep the most crucial of information—the Novan's research on the Elder Dragons—a secret so she could analyze it in peace. However, when she discovered that the Elder Dragon Primordus had moved to the Ring of Fire, she informed Phlunt and he, in turn, sent a krewe to Ember Bay to gather research, though most of the krewe had stronger loyalties to Taimi despite the difference in rank.
When Lazarus approached Rata Novus and was revealed as Balthazar, the God of Fire and War, Phlunt "led" (from the rear) the charge of the Rata Novus research krewes against Balthazar's mercenary forces. Having discovered the lab on Elder Dragon research, Phlunt promptly began studying the secret room, admitting that Taimi had pulled many tricks on him and that he could blind himself to certain things.
- Chapter 1: Experiments Gone Wrong
- Chapter 2: Interested Parties
- Episode 3: The Dragon's Reach: Part 1
- Episode 4: The Dragon's Reach: Part 2
- Why do you youngsters never watch where you're going?
Are you a Councilor?
- Where did you imagine you were, some auction house?
Yeah. Got any deals?
- Shut your yap. I don't need to take your sass. Leave me be!
- On my way.
Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend your vast intellect, sir.
- Ah, clever: a self-deferential device to coerce me into further conversation. Well, I won't fall for it!
- No attempt at deception intended, sir. Good day.
Certainly not. This is the Arcane Council chamber, and you must be Councilor Phlunt.
- A pity you showed your hand so early by feigning ignorance as to my title and name. I won't have another word with you.
- Very well.
- I see. I'll be on my way, then.
- Sorry to bother you, sir.
- My ears! It's good to see you.
- What do you require?
- I've forgotten more than you'll ever know.
- The Eternal Alchemy contains every answer.