The dragons are not stars in the sky. They can be counted. They can be fought. One day, we will kill the last of them. Only then will Tyria be safe.
Marshal Trahearne of the Cycle of Dusk is the first of the twelve Firstborn and is a sylvari valiant as well as the leader of the Pact. Upon awakening, he was given the Wyld Hunt to reverse the corruption inflicted upon Orr, which he long thought impossible. To this end, he has spent his time traveling Orr alone, and for a long time he and Caithe were the only two creatures to have seen Zhaitan and lived to tell the tale. Throughout his travels, Trahearne has formed many connections with the Orders of Tyria, as well as more withdrawn races such as the tengu and largos. Due to this, and his wealth of knowledge about Orr and the Risen, he is held in high regard by many.
In 1325 AE, Trahearne learned of a fleet of Dead Ships sailing on Lion's Arch. He traveled to Claw Island in an attempt to warn Watch Commander Talon, but was too late to prevent the massacre and barely escaped with his own life with few other survivors. In seeking new allies to help retake the island, Trahearne joined the hero who would come to be known as the Pact Commander in recruiting allies. He took counsel from the Pale Tree who granted him the magical sword Caladbolg and tasked the pair with unifying the Orders of Tyria into a single force.
After using his contacts in the Orders to retake Claw Island, Trahearne forged a Pact from the three factions, and directed them in an offensive against Orr. As Pact Marshal, he established Fort Trinity over the ruins along Terzetto Bay as the main base of operations for the invasion of Orr. As part of the invasion, Trahearne and the Pact targeted the Eyes and Mouth of Zhaitan to blind Zhaitan's forces and starve the Elder Dragon of magic. They later eliminated the Risen's supply of corpses from the Sea of Sorrow's coast, stemming the growth of Zhaitan's army.
The Pact eventually managed to establish a forward base at the foot of the Promenade of the Gods. Upon realizing that Zhaitan could not turn sylvari into its Risen minions and claim their knowledge for itself, Trahearne founded the Pale Reavers, an all-sylvari squad, which he sent on various dangerous missions throughout Orr.
Upon learning of a way to cleanse Zhaitan's corruption and where to do so, Trahearne and the Commander traveled to the Artesian Waters where they defeated the Sovereign Eye of Zhaitan. The marshal performed the Ritual of Purification to reverse the corruption therein while the Commander and eventually other allies fought against a Risen horde to protect him during the ritual.
Trahearne was weakened in the aftermath of the ritual, however, and was forced to recuperate at Fort Trinity while the Pact and Destiny's Edge assaulted Zhaitan in the Ruined City of Arah. With Zhaitan's defeat, Trahearne exclaimed the need to begin planning to win four more "impossible victories" over the remaining awake Elder Dragons while feeling a sense of relief over completing his seemingly impossible Wyld Hunt at long last.
Despite the end of his Wyld Hunt, Trahearne remained as the Marshal of the Pact. In the time after Zhaitan's defeat, he focused on reconstituting the ranks and resources of the Pact, with emphasis on building up its highly effective fleet. He was actively sending scouting parties and establishing research teams to begin the plan of an offensive against the Elder Dragon Kralkatorrik in the Crystal Desert.
During this time Trahearne had received reports about Scarlet Briar's attacks on cities, but did not involve Pact in any official capacity as they did not seem to pertain to Elder Dragon activity. During the quest to end the threat posed by the Tower of Nightmares, the Pact Commander encountered a nightmarish hallucination of Trahearne which the Commander was forced to fight against in the Nightmare Chamber.
Trahearne's plans to go after the Elder Dragons were interrupted by the aftermath of Scarlet Briar's assault on Lion's Arch, however, when Tyrians heard a dragon's roar in the aftermath of the Scarlet's demise. The marshal dispatched Laranthir of the Wild to investigate what had occurred.
Upon hearing that the Pact Commander was to present evidence of the recently awoken Elder Dragon Mordremoth's imminent threat to Tyria, he attended the World Summit in the Grove in 1327 AE. The negotiations were halted when the Shadow of the Dragon, one of Mordremoth's champions, attacked the Pale Tree and the gathered leaders. The beast was driven off after a fierce clash although it managed to severely harm the Pale Tree before fleeing.
After the attack on the World Summit, Trahearne took the Pact Commander's warnings to heart and shifted all Pact resources against the newly awakened Mordremoth in hopes to counter an anticipated dispersion of Mordrem minions across western Tyria. He established Camp Resolve in the Silverwastes with contributed arms, resources, troops and researchers from each prominent race. Trahearne began investing in a strictly aerial assault on the Elder Dragon with the hopes to avoid another drawn-out war of attrition on the ground, and planned to strike before Mordremoth could muster its minions. To locate the Elder Dragon, the marshal used reports which claimed that Mordremoth's core of power was "somewhere east, or south".
When the preparations of the Pact Fleet were nearly complete, Mordremoth attempted a counter-offensive against Camp Resolve, which failed. Trahearne, flush with victory, called out for the rallying and beginning of the Pact's own offensive. He was then informed that the Pact Commander would not join him in the attack as the Commander was attempting to recover Glint's Egg from a mysteriously absent Caithe who had taken it earlier.
With assistance of Destiny's Edge members Logan Thackeray, Eir Stegalkin, and Zojja, Trahearne led the Pact Fleet aboard the Glory of Tyria in battle against Mordremoth in the skies above Verdant Brink. The battle ended as rapidly as it began, however. Moments after the marshal had called out for the initial volley of fire into the jungle below, massive vines shot out and pierced airships like paper. Chaos spread as sylvari aboard the fleet began to lose their wills and minds to Mordremoth's call. Armed, well-trained, and freshly delivered, the subjugated sylvari overwhelmed Trahearne and Destiny's Edge, and the offensive ended in a complete rout.
Trahearne, Eir, Zojja and Logan went missing after Mordremoth had brought down the Pact Fleet. It was revealed from survivors of the fleet's destruction that the four had been taken prisoner, and placed in a caravan headed south through the Heart of Maguuma. At some point during their transport through Tangled Depths Trahearne, Zojja and Logan created a diversion to allow other captured Pact officers to escape although it came at the expense of his and their own opportunity to flee.
When the Pact Commander, their allies, and remnants of Destiny's Edge finally reached Trahearne in the depths of the Dragon's Domain in 1328 AE, the captured marshal was dangling unconscious and guarded by a corrupted and blighted Faolain. At her defeat, Trahearne was snatched away from rescue by Mordremoth itself, and taken into the dragon's inner sanctum, seemingly as a trap.
By the time the Commander's party reached the sanctum, Trahearne was awake but broken in body and spirit, and unable to survive removal from his eldritch, pod-like prison. Despite this state, he was able to aid the Commander in attacking Mordremoth's weakness — inside the Dream, where the Elder Dragon had been attacking sylvari in their own minds — by acting as intermediary to the Dream. This connection allowed Trahearne to open a portal so the Commander's party could begin the final assault on Mordremoth's mind while other members of the team stayed behind to guard the area from encroaching Mordrem.
After Mordremoth's mind was destroyed and the victors return to the waking world, Trahearne asked the Commander to bring Caladbolg to him while others marveled at their impossible victory and Mordremoth's disappearance from the minds of the sylvari. The revelry ceased when Trahearne announced that the Elder Dragon had left a 'seed' inside his mind that would blossom and allow the dragon to reclaim all it had just lost if not dealt with immediately. Insisting that he would not survive anyway if removed from his pod-like prison, Trahearne asked to be destroyed with the shattered remains of Caladbolg. After a horrible moment when Mordremoth attempted to possess Trahearne's body, the Commander struck Trahearne down and ended Mordremoth permanently at the expense of the marshal's life.
After their return from the Heart of Maguuma, Pact soldiers set up a memorial statue for Trahearne near the entrance of the Grove. Valiant Ridhais, who had seen a vision of Caladbolg in her Dream, sought out the Pact Commander in hopes of using the Commander's help to restore the broken blade. During the quest, the Commander encountered a vision of Trahearne in Caladbolg's Dream in the canopy of Verdant Brink. The spirit of the marshal tested the Commander's worth in battle, thanked them for finishing Mordremoth and entrusted them to take up Caladbolg and protect Tyria.
After dying in the rogue god Balthazar's ambush in 1330 AE, the Pact Commander's soul appeared in the Domain of the Lost where all spirits which experience sudden, violent deaths end up in. While recovering their name and remembering their purpose to be properly judged, the Commander was subjected to fragmented visions of past deeds, during which Trahearne's memory was briefly visible.
- Chapter 2: Teachings of Ventari
- Act With Wisdom path
- All Things Have a Right to Grow path
- Where Life Goes path
- Chapter 3: Justice for Riannoc
- Chapter 6: The Battle of Claw Island
- The Battle of Claw Island
- Durmand Priory path
- Order of Whispers path
- Vigil path
- Chapter 7: Forming the Pact
- Chapter 8: Victory or Death
- Temple of the Forgotten God
- Through the Looking Glass
- Close the Eye
- What the Eye Beholds
- Estate of Decay
- Starving the Beast
- A Grisly Shipment
- Ossuary of Unquiet Dead
- Further into Orr
- Priory's Plan path
- Whispers' Plan path
- Against the Corruption
- Cathedral of Silence
- Romke's Final Voyage
- The Source of Orr
- Victory or Death
- Episode 4: The Dragon's Reach: Part 2
- Episode 5: Echoes of the Past
- Episode 6: Tangled Paths
- Episode 7: Seeds of Truth
- Episode 8: Point of No Return
- Act III
- The Departing (as a memory)
- Skills (underwater)
- Overhead Smash - Inflicts heavy damage on the target.
- Shield of Absorption. Shield of Absorption - Grants
- Smash - Basic melee attack.
- Spinning Slash - Whirls forward to the target.
After the Pact's formation
- Marshal of the Pact
- Skills (wielding Caladbolg)
- Daybreak Blade - Slash your foe once, then again on the backswing.
- Flashing Arc - Medium range sword attack.
- Electrolyze - Hit multiple foes with arcs of chain lightning.
- Skyfall - Smash your foe, knocking them down.
- Twilight Crash - Knockback all targets in front of you.
- Maelstrom Strike - Thrash foes around you in a spinning frenzy while flinging projectiles.
- Skills (following the ritual in Against the Corruption)
During The Second Vision
- Daybreak Cleave -
- Flashing Crescent -
- Electrolyze - Hits multiple foes with arcs of chain lightning.
- Maelstrom Strike - Thrash foes around user in a spinning frenzy while flinging projectiles.
- Nightfall -
- Putrid Explosion - Explodes a summoned Flesh Golem.
- Skyfall - Smash your foe, knocking them down.
- Twilight Crash - Knockbacks all targets in front of user.
- Before completing the personal story
- Salutations. My apologies for being so brief. There is much that must yet be done.
- After completing the personal story
- My friend! Greeting once again. Even with Zhaitan dead, there is much to do. Around the world, the dragons are rising. We must put them down.
- I am pleased you are here.
- The Pale Tree guide you.
- What's on your mind?
- What troubles you?
- This won't end well.
- Greets during The Second Vision
- Mordremoth is next.
- I hope you're well.
- Hello, old friend.
- You're always welcome here.
- Upon entering combat
- Die by my hand!
- This won't end well—for you. (when engaged during The Second Vision)
- Upon leaving combat
- Never rise again! (after fighting Risen)
- Upon defeat
- A new experience...
- Heart of Thorns: Act 4: Unblighted — Get to Trahearne without triggering any of the Mordrem blighting pods. (1 )
- Prior to obtaining Caladbolg, Trahearne wields a Bandit Baton and a Hard Wood Focus.
- Trahearne wielding the greatsword Caladbolg was not foreshadowing the Reaper elite specialization for necromancer.
- Trahearne wears Snapdragon Epaulets, Dryad Coat, Snapdragon Gloves, Orchid Leggings, and Orchid Boots.
- His Nightmare Court disguise consists of Seer Mask, Nightmare Court Robes, Snapdragon Gloves, Orchid Leggings, and Dryad Boots.
- Trahearne is voiced by Matthew Brenher.
- King Trahern is a legendary King of the Britons in Geoffrey of Monmouth's fictional Historia Regum Britanniae. In Welsh, the name means "incredibly strong"; in Celtic, it means "strong as iron." In Norwegian, the word TrÆrne means "Trees", which bears significant similarity to the name.
- Thomas Traherne was an English poet, clergyman, theologian, and religious writer. A great passion depicted in his work is his love of nature and the natural world. The work for which Traherne is best known today is the Centuries of Meditations, a collection of short paragraphs in which he reflects on Christian life and ministry, philosophy, happiness, desire and childhood.
- Trahearne's favorite poem is "Darkness Pays Orr a Visit."
- Associated items
- ^ Post by Angel McCoy in "[Spoilers]Lore retcon - Wynn, Caithe, Riannoc", Old Guild Wars 2 Official Forum (Archived)
- ^ Lore Interview with Ree Soesbee, March 24, 2016, GuildWars2.com (English translation from the French source at GW2Shop.net)
- ^ Chaos Theory
- Taimi: That's a legendary poem by an Orrian soldier. It was Trahearne's favorite. The final line was lost when the city sank.