Tarir, the Forgotten City
Tarir, the Forgotten City
1 9 2 2
Deep in the wilds of Maguuma, under a canopy so thick that midday often seems like midnight, there is a shining golden city called Tarir...
Tarir, the Forgotten City, is the golden city of the Exalted. It was established by the Forgotten around two hundred years ago as part of Glint's legacy and plan to protect the world from the Elder Dragons. During the construction, the Forgotten chose humans from the earliest generation of Zephyrites to test in hopes of them being worthy of becoming guardians of Tarir and the purpose it holds. Those who passed the Forgotten's tests became the Exalted and finished construction of Tarir before going into hibernation for two centuries. During this time, Tarir remained dormant, waiting for Glint's Egg to come near.
The Exalted of Tarir awoke from hibernation in 1328 AE shortly before the Pact Fleet launched over the Heart of Maguuma. The magic built within the city awoke as Glint's Egg came near, ready to fulfill the purpose of guarding the egg.
Beneath Tarir lies a series of chambers made by the Forgotten to test the eventual champion of Glint's Egg. These were left untouched, and unknown, by the Exalted until the egg came near Tarir. Parts of Tarir, especially the Inner Chamber, hold structural resemblance to the Hall of Heroes with its heavy use of gold and stain glass.
Locations and objectives
- Forgotten City Waypoint —
- Points of Interest
- Eastgate —
- Inner Chamber —
- Legacy Pillars —
- Luminate's Throne —
- Masks of the Fallen —
- Northgate —
- Sealed Passageway —
- Southgate —
- Westgate —
- Start the adventure to gain the glint skills, turn around and walk to the cliff behind the vista. Use skill 1 to climb the cliff, followed by skill 3 on the ceiling - glide to the vista from the highest point of the jump.
- Alternately, if you have the springer mount, simply jump to the vista.
- Tarir Vista —
- Exalted Bastion
- Exalted Burnisher
- Exalted Camas
- Exalted Sage
- Exalted Sufa
- Exalted Taon
- Sage Laural
- Sage Renna
- Sage Salim
- Tarnished Bastion
- Tarnished Burnisher
- Tarnished Sage
- Priory Explorer (1): How far is that drop?
- Priory Explorer (2): It looks far. Hm...
- Priory Explorer (1): Do you think you'd make it, even with your glider?
- Priory Explorer (2): Depends on the direction of the wind.
- Vigil Recruit: Have you seen those oversized beasts to the south?
- Priory Explorer: I have! I'm not sure what they are, but they definitely don't look friendly.
- Vigil Recruit: What do you think they eat?
- Priory Explorer: I don't know. I heard the Itzel refer to them as saurians.
- Vigil Recruit: That name doesn’t sound too scary. Maybe they're passive?
- Priory Explorer: (laugh) Then these saurians can eat humans. The charr legions inherit Tyria.
- Historian Landen: What have you found so far?
- Historian Jasmine: What haven't I found? This place is amazing!
- Historian Landen: Have you been able to determine the age of the city?
- Historian Jasmine: Not yet. It's over a hundred years old, for sure.
- Historian Landen: And you were so worried about coming here...This city is astounding.
- Historian Jasmine: I was terrified that the Exalted were somehow related to the Mursaat, but there is no evidence to connect them.
- Historian Jasmine: I was hoping to find more signs of the druids who once inhabited the jungle.
- Historian Landen: Hmmm...
- Historian Landen: These details, the level of craftsmanship... just incredible.
- Bartimus Swordheart: A whole golden city! We could at least break a piece off. No one would notice.
- Obstructor Rora: Be respectful! We can't just walk into their city and start breaking things.
- Bartimus Swordheart: Hmph. We've done it before.
- Obstructor Rora: You look too relaxed. Stay on your toes. We might need to fight soon.
- Bartimus Swordheart: I'm always ready for a fight!
- Bartimus Swordheart: There's not enough treasure to take!
- Obstructor Rora: There's never enough treasure for you. Is that the only reason you came here?
- Bartimus Swordheart: Is there any other reason?
- Obstructor Rora: Where's your sense of wonder? Look around you. This is amazing!
- Bartimus Swordheart: Think we could run into Braham out here?
- Obstructor Rora: We're surrounded by floating, sentient sentinels, and you're just hoping to meet Braham Eirsson?
- Bartimus Swordheart: Do you think we'll run into him, or not?
- Obstructor Rora: (sigh)
- Bartimus Swordheart: Because that'd be something.
- Bartimus Swordheart: What do you make of all the revenants running around lately?
- Obstructor Rora: Their ability to channel power from the Mists is fascinating.
- Bartimus Swordheart: Hmmm, bet they're pretty good with swords.
- Obstructor Rora: (snort) You aren't smart enough to become one. You'd only wind up trapped in the Mists.
- Bartimus Swordheart: I didn't say I wanted to become one, just curious what you thought of them.
- Bartimus Swordheart: I feel like I need another sword. Do you think I need a new sword?
- Obstructor Rora: (grumble)
- Bartimus Swordheart: Maybe two more?
- Obstructor Rora: (sigh)
- Bartimus Swordheart: You're right, why limit myself?
- Obstructor Rora: Isn't it incredible just to be here, taking all this in?
- Bartimus Swordheart: Yeah... Nothing like swinging a sword around.
- Obstructor Rora: We should stick around and see what we can do to help out.
- Bartimus Swordheart: You think there's something to eat around here?
- Obstructor Rora: Just think, there are bound to be hidden areas all over this city...
- Bartimus Swordheart: (yawn) Well, I'm bored. Want to duel?
- Obstructor Rora: You are the worst person to adventure with, sometimes.
- Bartimus Swordheart: Ever seen Hoelbrak? That's a grand, epic place. Maybe if I grew up on a farm or something, I'd be more impressed.
- Explorer Johan: Leave the Exalted alone!
- Researcher Vera: I'm not bothering him. I've been studying him for a while, and I haven't seen him move once...
- Explorer Johan: He's guarding the city. They were built for this. He may never move.
- Researcher Vera: I'm just going to wait a bit longer.
- Researcher Vera: This is incredible—an entire city hidden in the depths of the jungle!
- Explorer Johan: I know this is exciting, but we have to stay focused. This area isn't safe.
- Researcher Vera: Imagine the knowledge that the Exalted must hold! I wish we had more time.
- Leeneeta passes by two Exalted in the northwest of the northern quadrant of Tarir
- Leeneeta: This is the best day of my life!
- Leeneeta: Shinies!
- Leeneeta: Shinies! So much shinies! Aaaaah!
- Leeneeta: (gasp) So shiny…
- Leeneeta: Shiny, shiny, shiny, shiny!
- Leeneeta: I’m in love!
- Exalted Bastion: I don't understand what they are.
- Exalted Burnisher: They sound like small rodents, but look like large ones.
- Exalted Bastion: What is it doing?
- Exalted Bastion: Every time this animal gets near me, it screams about how shiny I am and runs away.
- Exalted Burnisher: I would not call that a sign of attraction.
- Exalted Bastion: Understood.
- Priory Scribe: I think whatever’s powering this city is connected to those pylons.
- Priory Researcher: Are you suggesting the pylons power this entire city?
- Priory Scribe: Well, I doubt that, but there does seem to be some kind of connection.
- Priory Researcher: I have noticed those giant pieces of enchanted armor around, every time a pylon powers up.
- Priory Scribe: So that’s one connection. But there has to be more than that.
- Priory Researcher: If only we could get the enchanted armor to talk to us. I’ve tried, but there was no response.
- Priory Scribe: Is that so? I bet I can get one to talk.
- Near Luminate's Throne
- Exalted Sage (1): I don’t know how much more we can take. These attacks are wearing us down.
- Exalted Sage (2): I understand your fear. The Mordrem Guard are getting stronger by the hour.
- Exalted Sage (1): Do you think they can breach our walls?
- Exalted Sage (2): I hope not. I’ve heard whispers about the trial rooms being a weak spot of ours.
- Exalted Sage (1): We have extra guards on watch down there. Hopefully that will be enough.
- Resource nodes
- In French, the verb 'tarir' means to dry up, to dwindle.
- Tarir bears a striking resemblance, and may, in fact, be a reference to El Dorado, the mythical lost city made purely of gold, believed to exist somewhere in America during the 16th Century.
- Tarir's architectural design is mostly based on Art Déco, known to be used in order to reinforce verticality, giving the city a stern wondrous quality. It also feature a few pre-colombian references, especially suggesting an approximation to Aztec architecture – which brings it even closer to El Dorado.
- Due to its secluded nature and "superior" inhabitants, Tarir may also be a nod to the hidden elven city of Gondolin, most prominently featured in The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien, edited and published posthumously by his son, Christopher Tolkien.