Canach's appearance, shortly after awakening, during Meeting the Asura.
Canach's appearance during The Lost Shores.
Canach's appearance during Last Stand at Southsun.
Canach's appearance during the story of Heart of Thorns.
It's high time I walk as my own sylvari for a while.
Canach is a Secondborn sylvari who was initially a Consortium mercenary, arrested for his actions in Southsun Cove and imprisoned in Vigil Keep. More recently, he has served as an operative for the Shining Blade and as an occasional ally to Dragon's Watch.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Locations
- 3 Story involvement
- 4 Combat abilities
- 5 Dialogue
- 6 Quotes
- 7 Gallery
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 References
As a newly awakened sylvari, Canach and a few other Secondborn were captured by an asuran research team lead by Vorpp around 1304 AE. He was cruelly experimented upon by the curious asura, and even used to power a golem with his life-force. Although Canach was rescued by Caithe and Faolain, he was greatly rattled by his experience.
Canach was hired by the Consortium in 1325 AE to map, explore, and begin construction of settlements and tourist facilities at the newly-discovered Southsun Cove. Although his contract prevented him from exploiting animal, mineral, or magical sources on the island, it did not mention local flora, and Canach ordered his team to collect samples of Passion Flowers as they explored.
The team's actions provoked the local karka, who followed the fleeing survivors of the expedition back to Lion's Arch, where they attacked and destroyed Lion's Gate. Blamed by the authorities for his role in the karka invasion, Canach was apprehended in Garenhoff by the Lionguard. To avoid punishment, he offered to help fight the Ancient Karka, but fled at the first opportunity.
Facing life as a fugitive and the freelance "decommissioning" team sent by the Consortium's Subdirector Noll, Canach made a concerted effort to change. He cast himself as a champion of the weak, and, to prove it, sought out and destroyed a Molten Alliance weapons facility.
Canach intended to get even with Noll and liberate the refugees from the Molten Alliance who had been tricked into Consortium settlement contracts on Southsun Cove. He headed back to the island and spread a toxin that aggravated the local wildlife. The civil unrest induced there attracted the attention of a Lionguard inspector, Ellen Kiel, who tracked down the sylvari with the help of the Pact Commander, arrested him, and jailed him at Fort Marriner, before he could destroy any more evidence of Consortium wrongdoing.
During Scarlet Briar's attack on Lion's Arch, Canach was moved from his cell and incarcerated at Vigil Keep. Shortly afterward, an unnamed official from Divinity's Reach offered to buy his release and the sylvari left the keep around the time that Mordrem invaded the Iron Marches.
By 1327 AE, Countess Anise bought Canach's billet and turned him into an agent of the Shining Blade to serve his sentence. Anise used him to distract guests from her clone during a party in Divinity's Reach, leaving her free to eavesdrop. She took Canach with her to the World Summit, teasing him mercilessly, much to his annoyance.
After the attack on the summit by the Shadow of the Dragon, Anise ordered Canach to join the Pact in Fort Trinity to learn more about their plans about the Elder Dragon Mordremoth. Canach later accompanied Caithe on a scouting mission in the Silverwastes, but they were routed by Mordrem until the Pact Commander came to their rescue.
In the Heart of Maguuma, Canach joined the Pact Commander and their party as they cleared a path towards Mordremoth. Like all sylvari, he struggled with the Elder Dragon's call, but his strength of will kept him from succumbing. His curiosity about the Mordrem Guard made him test how exactly the dragon's call affected a sylvari's personality when the party encountered a wounded Mordrem Guard deep within the lost asuran city of Rata Novus, only to be forced to finish off the guard who succumbed to the dragon's call.
Within the dragon's inner sanctum, Canach offered to join the Commander as they delved into Mordremoth's mind for a final battle. Mordremoth spawned a Blighted illusion of Canach to goad his being forced to be a servant one way or another, but Canach declared that he would redeem himself and be his own master. The party eventually slew Mordremoth's mind in the Dream and finished the dragon off in the physical realm by killing the imprisoned Marshal Trahearne in whom Mordremoth had planted one last seed of its consciousness.
Even after Mordremoth's fall, Canach remained under Anise's command for a time. He led a Shining Blade operation in Bloodstone Fen in 1329 AE, tracking down Minister Caudecus who had fled Krytan custody. Though Caudecus revealed his true colors as the leader of the White Mantle, he evaded capture much to Canach's dismay.
Caudecus and the White Mantle eventually laid siege to Divinity's Reach, and Canach was sent to infiltrate Caudecus' Manor. The sylvari was captured and held captive for a time, and was freed when the Pact Commander stormed the manor. Together they were able to bring down Caudecus, and Anise made good on her promise to declare Canach's debt paid. Canach declined the Commander's invitation to a new guild, Dragon's Watch, because he wished to remain independent for a time. However, he mused that his and the Commander's paths would cross again.
Along his travels, Canach headed to the Free City of Amnoon after a large number of Elonian refugees had fled to Lion's Arch from the invading Forged army. He began enjoying gambling at Zalambur's casino, where he was reunited with some members of Dragon's Watch, including the Pact Commander. Having placed a bet that the Commander could fell the former god Balthazar whose Forged were terrorizing the desert, he joined the Commander, Kasmeer Meade, and Rytlock Brimstone in fighting the Forged.
During their campaign in the Crystal Desert, Canach developed a friendly rivalry with Rytlock. They participated in the Battle of Kodash Bazaar in which the Commander killed Balthazar although the resulting explosion of magic was absorbed by the dragon Aurene and the Elder Dragon Kralkatorrik who flew off. After returning to a victory celebration in Amnoon, the party were reunited with recently arrived Dragon's Watch members Marjory Delaqua and Taimi although the festivities were cut short when a Brandstorm conjured by Kralkatorrik hit Amnoon.
After the Pact Commander's victory over Balthazar, Canach went all in with his winnings and bets that the Commander would defeat Kralkatorrik as well. When the Commander arrived to help Amnoon during the Brandstorm, Canach assisted in defeating the Branded and rescuing the civilians. After the battle, he remained in Amnoon for a time to help clean up.
Eventually, Canach and Rytlock traveled to the Domain of Istan and fought alongside the Istani Sunspears as they stormed the Mordant Crescent Great Hall to rescue both the Spearmarshal Zaeim and the Commander who had been imprisoned there. The sylvari then joined the Commander in pursuit of Taimi into Fahranur where he planted explosives to destroy a bone wall that blocked their progress. The party eventually saved Taimi, only to learn that Palawa Joko, the undead tyrant of Elona, had seemingly returned and was planning an Awakened invasion of Tyria in retaliation for the Commander's actions in his kingdom during the campaign against Balthazar.
- Kessex Hills
- Lion's Arch
- Gendarran Fields
- Southsun Cove
- Episode 6: Last Stand at Southsun
- Episode 17: The Edge of the Mists
- Episode 18: Escape from Lion's Arch
- Episode 4: The Dragon's Reach: Part 2
- Episode 5: Echoes of the Past
- Episode 6: Tangled Paths
- Episode 7: Seeds of Truth
- Act I
- Act II
- Act III
- Act IV
- Episode 1: Out of the Shadows
- Episode 4: The Head of the Snake
- Act I
- Act II
- Act III
- Controls Mines
- For previous dialogue: Canach/dialogue
- At Dragon's Stand (Heart of Thorns) before completing Hearts and Minds
- I've spent much of my life hating the firstborn, always being compared to them. In our mother's eyes, Trahearne was perfect and none of us could live up to him. But now...
Your opinion has changed?
- With Mordremoth pounding against my willpower, I'm barely holding on. And yet, Trahearne...he flew his airship straight at it. I can only admire him now. We must find him.
Don't worry. We won't abandon him.
- I worry that it's already too late. Mordremoth will have its hooks in Trahearne's body and mind much deeper than it will in Zojja and Logan. Its what we sylvari were designed for.
- We'll find a way. We...have to.
- At Dragon's Stand (Heart of Thorns) after completing Hearts and Minds
- Mordremoth is gone. I no longer hear its summons. I no longer feel the scratch of its will against my mind.
- (If sylvari)
- We sylvari have grown beyond what we were created for.
- (If not sylvari)
It would seem you sylvari have grown beyond what you were created for.
- So it would appear. The Pale Tree endowed us with the willpower to choose our own fates. This victory will bring on a great change for the sylvari...for me.
What will you do now?
- (sigh) I must return to Countess Anise and report our victory. She'll be pleased, and I'll take advantage of her goodwill to broach the topic of releasing my billet. I yearn to be completely free.
- Good luck, my friend. I wish it for you.
- Hello again. It's good to see a familiar face. Got time to talk?
- State your business and let me get on with mine.
- I'm sorry, but I don't do small talk.
- Don't bother me. I'm thinking
- My fighting skills are for hire, but I'm selective about my employers.
- What is it? Oh, I see. Greetings.
- Concept art
Concept art by Jamie Ro.
- Canach is voiced by John DiMaggio.
- Canach has had numerous armor changes throughout the story:
- During The Lost Shores he is seen having a mixture of various pieces of the sylvari Cultural armor and wielding a Pirate Cutlass and Kryta's Embrace.
- After Last Stand at Southsun he is wearing the Oaken armor (without the helmet) and a pair of Heavy Fused Gauntlets whilst wielding the same weapons.
- During Heart of Thorns story, Canach loses the gauntlets, and wields a Chain-Whip Sword and a Shield of the Moon (it is not mentioned on how he acquired them).
- Past Living World Season 3, and up until current events, Canach wears the Verdant Executor Outfit whilst wielding the same weapons.
- Associated items