Can't Trust a Pirate
Can't Trust a Pirate
- 1335 AE / 1845 CC
- End of Dragons
- Can't Trust a Pirate
- Zen Daijun
- Preceded by
- Your Kind of People
- Followed by
- The Scenic Route
Loading screen called "Zen Daijun Hideaway"
Can't Trust a Pirate is the fourth chapter of the End of Dragons story.
- Find Mai Trin.
- Meet Gorrik and Marjory in Zen Daijun.
- Wait for Gorrik...?
- Investigate the cave for anomalies.
- Try different skills to disperse the hologram.
- Use a combo field and finisher to disperse the hologram.
- Defeat the Aetherblades!
- Explore the Aetherblade den.
- (Defeat Ivan!)
- Capture Mai Trin.
- Find the key.
- Head further into the hideout.
- Confront the captain.
- (Defeat Mai Trin!)
- Captain Mai Trin
- Silence "Scarlet"!
- Interrogate Mai Trin.
- Assess Trin's situation.
- Find material for a blindfold.
- Return to Mai Trin.
- Check on Ivan.
- Activate the console.
- Tale of Adventure
- Bag of Loot (3)
- Canthan Backpack
- if the corresponding elite specialization equipment achievement is active:
- Replaying the story chapter
- Tale of Adventure (5) (once per day)
Meet Marjory and Gorrik in the instance to the south-east of Zen Daijun Temple, who will discuss Aetherblades vanishing in a nearby spider infested cave.
- Searching the caves
Follow them inside and either wait for Gorrik to clean up the signal or charge ahead to kill the spiders. You will be granted the special action Identify. Using the special action on Gorrik or Marjory will award the hidden achievement Can Never Be Too Careful and additional flavor dialogue. From the entrance of the cave, you will find the Aetherblade cog-skull symbol along the right side wall. Use the special action on it to earn Tagging the Tag and advance the story or wait for it to be pushed forward after about 50 seconds, when Marjory spots the symbol herself.
Gorrik will launch into an explanation of the Holosmith tech used, which you can shortcut by performing a Combo to break the hologram. Using the special action Combo Help will remove your Qualify for A Combo of One. Bringing your own combo finisher is essential. Having a skill with a combo field, at least up to the next mini-boss encounter, is necessary if you want to complete A Combo of One. Fight off two Aetherblades, who will run off afterwards and head inside. On the way down one of two Log Boxes can be found, which you can interact with for additional lore recordings. At the back of the cave you will find Ivan berating someone over comms. Before engaging him turn right, into a dormitory, for a second Log Box recording, which awards Log Date 1331.
Fight Ivan and use a skill combo (as before) when he raises his shields. Beware that (as before) using the special action key, if you need a field to combo with, will remove Qualify for A Combo of One. Once he is defeated collect the key from the middle chest in the left hand room and use it on the console by the door behind Ivan. Walk inside and wait for Mai Trin to stumble out and greet you.
- Confronting the Captain
After a series of dialogue, including a confrontation between Joon and Mai Trin, you will be trapped in an arena to fight her. On the northern side of the room an Aurene Empowerment can be found, that grants the effect Aurene's Might. It will make the upcoming bossfight easier, but also preclude you from getting the achievements Derring-Do and Intervention. Eligibility for each can be tracked via Qualify for Sturdy and Qualify for Intervention respectively.
- At 90% health, Mai Trin will begin channeling the mists, using revenant attacks as well.
- At 60% health, several Scarlet Phantoms spawn around the arena, which protect her from damage but are fragile themselves.
- At 30% health she loses control to the Echo of Scarlet Briar: Mai Trin will stand in the centre surrounded by a giant illusion of Scarlet.
- At 10% health a large final attack will occur. This attack covers the entire floor of the arena, except for three small circles rotating in a triangular pattern, two of which will be blocked by another rectangular AoE originating from a Phantom when the Echo's big attack hits, leaving only one safe circle. The safe circles appear one after the other, the last one to appear being the safe one in the story instance version of this fight. For several seconds afterwards the Echo is invulnerable, before you can finish it off.
After vanquishing the illusion, Mai will collapse to her knees. Go to the banner hanging beside the room Mai came out of to tear off a strip and give it to her to make a blindfold, which will help her block out Scarlet's voice. Exit back to Ivan once he gets your attention and listen to the discussion, activating the console when directed.
|Can't Trust a Pirate||End of Dragons: Act I||11|
|Confront a legend.Journal: Can't Trust a Pirate Completed
||Completed Can't Trust a Pirate||1|
- Complete the story mission.
|Can Never Be Too Careful||End of Dragons: Act I||1|
|Scan a friend to be sure they are not hiding anything.||Scanned a Friend to Be Sure They're Not an Aetherblade Base||1|
- At the start of the mission, when given access to the special action key to locate the base, point at Marjory or Gorrik.
|Tagging the Tag||End of Dragons: Act I||1|
|Find the marker for the Aetherblade cave.||Found the Marker for the Aetherblade Cave||1|
- During Investigate the cave for anomalies, find the marker using the special action key (Identify) before Marjory.
- Achievement qualification may be tracked via the Qualify for Tagging the Tag effect.
|A Combo of One||End of Dragons: Act I||1|
|Get through the obstacles without asking for help.||Pulled Off All Your Combos Solo||1|
- During the Find Mai Trin phase, don't use the special action key (Combo Help) - this covers (a) the two aetherblade after the mark, and (b) the encounter with Ivan.
- Achievement qualification may be tracked via the Qualify for A Combo of One effect.
|Log Date 1331||End of Dragons: Act I||1|
|Find the abandoned recording device.||Found the Abandoned Recording Device||1|
- During Explore the Aetherblade den, find the abandoned recording device. This can be done either before or immediately after the encounter with Ivan (inside the room with 3 crates outside it).
|Derring-Do||End of Dragons: Act I||1|
|Defeat the chapter boss without being downed.||Defeated Mai Trin without Being Downed||1|
- During Confront the captain, defeat Mai Trin without being downed.
- Achievement qualification may be tracked via the Qualify for Sturdy effect.
|Intervention||End of Dragons: Act I||1|
|Take out the chapter boss in the alloted time.||Took Out Mai Trin in the Alloted Time||1|
- During Confront the captain, defeat Mai Trin in under 7 minutes.
- Achievement qualification may be tracked via the Qualify for Intervention effect.
- Meeting Gorrik and Marjory
- <Character name>: Marjory, Gorrik—find anything interesting?
- Marjory Delaqua: We were monitoring comm frequencies to see if we could pick up any Aetherblade chatter.
- Gorrik: What we found were strange ultrasonic emissions in this general area.
- <Character name>: You heard a funny noise.
- Gorrik: Well, WE can't hear it, but I believe that's the entire point.
- Marjory Delaqua: The ultrasonic signal coincided with two Aetherblades entering this spider den. They vanished into thin air.
- Gorrik: The spiders didn't attack them. Why? I believe it's because they were using the signal against them!
- <Character name>: Okay. Do you...need me to go in there and kill the spiders?
- Gorrik: Last time you did that, you drove an entire subspecies extinct. I have a better idea.
- Gorrik: If I can match the signal's frequency, I can clear out the spider den without harming them.
- Marjory Delaqua: Okay, just don't take too long.
- Gorrik: Just need to...clean up this waveform...
- Marjory Delaqua: Gorrik.
- Marjory Delaqua: Gorrik.
- Gorrik: Don't—I—please, just—I need to concentrate.
- Marjory Delaqua: (sighs impatiently)
- Gorrik: Almost...got it. Almost...
- If you waited for Gorrik:
- Marjory Delaqua: All right, that's it.
- Gorrik: Wait! WAIT! I got it!
- If you didn't wait for Gorrik:
- <Character name>: We don't have time for this. C'mon, Jory.
- Gorrik: AH! Wait, wait! Just one more second!
- Gorrik: You are incredibly impatient.
- Marjory Delaqua: Yeah, to get to the bottom of this Aetherblade plot. Aren't you?
- Gorrik: Of course. Sorry, I was... Let's find that entrance.
- Marjory Delaqua: Even secret doors have giveaways. Let's take a gander.
- Scanning incorrect areas near your allies
- Gorrik: Not reading anything here. Must be somewhere else.
- Marjory Delaqua: Doesn't fit the ball, Commander. Let's keep looking.
- If you scan Gorrik
- Gorrik: Yes, good. Gorrik confirmed.
- If you scan Marjory
- Marjory Delaqua: Well, you got me. I was the secret Aetherblade base all along.
- Scan the Aetherblade marker
- <Character name>: Over here. Found an Aetherblade marker.
- Haven’t found the Aetherblade marker within about a minute. (one of these)
- Marjory Delaqua: Over here. Found an Aetherblade marker.
- Marjory Delaqua: Hey, look: Aetherblade marker here.
- Gorrik: This wall... It's a hologram made of hard light. Whoever built this is a competent holosmith.
- <Character name>: Must be some trick to deactivating it.
- Gorrik: Okay, so, in short: to make hard light, you need a photon forge. It's the only way to give mass to light particles.
- Marjory Delaqua: I feel like we should be paying you for this master class in holosmith jargon.
- Gorrik: Oh, I love talking about this. Anyway, this forge is custom-built. Impressive—but its emitter has a critical flaw.
- Marjory Delaqua: You said this'd be short.
- Gorrik: Oh. Um. A continuous combinatory assault should overload the forge. Try that.
- If you don't wait for Gorrik to finish his talking
- Marjory Delaqua: Smart thinking, Commander.
- Gorrik: Yes. Well, I was just getting to the part where I suggested doing that.
- Marjory Delaqua: You'll talk faster next time. C'mon.
- Gorrik: Aha! Excellent work, Commander. Come on!
- Veteran Aetherblade Thug: What're you—? It's the commander!
- Aetherblade Taskmaster: We're as good as dead if we keep this up.
- After defeating the Aetherblades
- <Character name>: Taimi, it's me. There's definitely an Aetherblade camp in Zen Daijun.
- Joon: Just like I told you. I'm leaving now.
- Taimi: Wait, wait, wait, what?
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: Where are you going?
- Joon: Mai Trin has a lot to answer for, and she's going to look me in the eye when she does. Commander, I'm on my way.
- Taimi: Uh, yeah—Commander, she's gone.
- Marjory Delaqua: We haven't cleared the camp yet. It could still be dangerous.
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: I'll go with her, don't worry. Taimi, you stay with Aurene.
- Taimi: Not gonna argue with that. Stay safe, Commander.
- The recording device
- Ankka: She's talking to her friend again. It's all bad advice, based on old grudges and past glories. No imagination.
- Ankka: In the Mists, we had to repair our fleet. And we could only get the parts from ourselves. Our past selves.
- Ankka: Lot of people want to kill who they were. The parts they hate. I actually got to do it.
- Ankka: It was disconcerting at first. Then...liberating. Mai Trin never did. It scared her. Should‘ve known then.
- Exploring the Aetherblade den
- Gorrik: Where is everyone?
- Marjory Delaqua: This place definitely has more aether than blades.
- Marjory Delaqua: Oh come on, nothing? Tough crowd.
- Ivan: I'm telling you, it's not enough! The captain was very clear!
- Marjory Delaqua: Sssh! Hear that?
- Ivan: If we're going to strike back at her, it needs to be massive, yes? It needs to be—we need overwhelming force!
- Ivan: What I'm asking you to do is follow orders!
- Ivan: You kill her until she is dead, then you repeat the process! Do you understand?
- <Character name>: Where's Mai Trin?
- Ivan: Commander. What, no dragon this time?
- <Character name>: That's a sore spot we'll be getting back to in a second. Where is Mai Trin?
- Ivan: No. I swore an oath to my captain. I intend to keep it.
- Marjory Delaqua: Mai Trin betrayed her closest friends—how do you know she won't betray you?
- Ivan: That's a lie! It was Ankka! She started this!
- During the fight with Ivan
- Ivan: Her and Renyak and all the others, they broke their oaths! But not me! Not Ivan!
- Ivan: Aha! My hard-light shields are impenetrable. You might as well give up.
- Marjory Delaqua: Bet he's using the same half-assed tech that was blocking the way in here!
- Gorrik: Jory's right, Commander! His photon forge has the same flaw as the one above!
- Ivan: You say "flaw," I say "unique characteristic"!
- Ivan: That does it! Full power to the photon forge! Clear out or get burned!
- <Character name>: Stand down, Ivan. If you do, we can talk.
- Ivan: I won't betray her trust. I'm the only one left who can.
- After defeating Ivan
- Gorrik: Hey! I can override his photon forge!
- Marjory Delaqua: Then do it! Now!
- Ivan: (screams in pain)
- Ivan: You're going to make me talk, eh? I promise you, I won't break as easy as your asuran friend.
- Gorrik: I have no idea what he's talking about.
- Marjory Delaqua: You're going to tell us where your captain's hiding, so we can have a civilized conversation.
- Ivan: I...I can't. I won't tell you where the key is.
- <Character name>: Okay, there's a key. Let's look around.
- Ivan: Idiot! Shouldn't have... Of course, just open the door for them, why don't you? Stupid, stupid!
- The recording device
- Renyak: So...Ivan, you mole-people... You want to steal everybody's things and then give those things to everybody else?
- Ivan: For the last time, I left the moletariate long ago. And your grasp of our revolution is puerile.
- Ivan: We dredge know that the bourgeoisie are stealing the value of your labor for their own profit.
- Renyak: Liar! I do not give you permission to steal my things for redistribution! (hiss)
- Renyak: I worked hard to plunder what I own!
- Ivan: Laissez-faire capitalism will collapse as the rich hoards wealth—then uses that wealth to enslave the rest of society!
- Renyak: Stay back, Ivan! I'm warning you. Stay away from my stuff! (low growl)
- Looking through the crates or walking into the buildings
- Ivan: Aha, see! Ivan doesn't lie. No key! You're playing right into my claws.
- Marjory Delaqua: (groans)
- Ivan: You think I'd hide a valuable key in there? C'mon, I'm a pirate. I've hidden treasure before.
- Ivan: There's nothing in there! In any of those!
- Finding the key
- <Character name>: I'm sorry, you were saying?
- Ivan: Commander, please... Don't hurt her. It's not what you think it is.
- Marjory Delaqua: Don't suppose you'd care to explain what that means?
- Ivan: It's not for me to say.
- Opening the door
- Gorrik: All right, enough—it's time to get some real answers.
- Confronting Mai Trin
- <Character name>: Captain Trin? Show yourself.
- Captain Mai Trin: Oh, this is great. Now I've got the Dragon Champion and Ace Detective Delaqua here to tell me how terrible I am.
- Joon: Mai Trin.
- Captain Mai Trin: Wow, you just—you just brought everyone, huh?
- <Character name>:You can feel sorry for yourself later. What are you planning, Trin? Where'd you send your Aetherblades?
- Captain Mai Trin: Ha. Ha-ha. Me? Send Aetherblades? Why exactly would I do that?
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: I don't know. Why'd you order them to kill Aurene with that magic extractor?
- Captain Mai Trin: It wasn't— I—I mean, I didn't mean to—
- Joon: After all we've been through. Everything I gave you. This is how you repay me.
- Captain Mai Trin: Y—you're right. You can't trust a pirate. I'm done.
- Captain Mai Trin: We should finish this. Now.
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: Hey!
- Joon: What are you doing?
- Captain Mai Trin: Prioritizing targets.
- <Character name>: Stand down and let them go!
- Gorrik: You are in no condition to fight!
- Joon: Listen to them, Mai.
- Fighting Mai Trin
- Captain Mai Trin: I could never...beat you, Commander. Too many...scores to settle at once.
- Captain Mai Trin: Just need a little help. Just a little more.
- Captain Mai Trin: Spend a few years in the Mists, you meet the most fascinating people.
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: Wait, what's happening? What's she doing?
- If playing revenant:
- Gorrik: Commander, she's tapping into the power of the Mists, just like you!
- Any other class:
- Gorrik: Commander, she's tapping into the power of the Mists!
- Marjory Delaqua: A revenant, like Rytlock. It's the only explanation.
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: No. No, this is different. She's not in control of the spirit she's invoking!
- Captain Mai Trin: I need your power. I need more. Please! I can't lose again!
- Marjory Delaqua: Gods—! Scarlet!
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: It's not her! It's a revenant echo.
- Captain Mai Trin: Stop! You... You're taking too much!
- Gorrik: She's losing control! If we don't stop it, it'll kill her!
- Captain Mai Trin: She's too strong! Her voice—that laugh!
- After finishing the fight
- Captain Mai Trin: (gasps) She's gone.
- Marjory Delaqua: Scarlet Briar. You think she could be behind this?
- <Character name>: She died on the Breachmaker. Like Kas said, that was just an echo.
- Captain Mai Trin: I can't hear you... I can't... The laughing.
- Joon: What's wrong with her?
- Marjory Delaqua: Revenants can have a hard time tuning out all the voices from the Mists.
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: Rytlock actually needed a blindfold at first, something to help him focus.
- <Character name>: Give me a minute. I'll come up with something.
- Marjory Delaqua: While you take care of that, I'll relieve the prisoner of her weapons.
- Captain Mai Trin: I can't...can't be trusted.
- Inteacting with your allies while searching for a blindfold
- Marjory Delaqua: I've taken her gun and her blade, but she's still got that monster locked away in her head.
- Gorrik: So that was Scarlet Briar? She lives up to her reputation...
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: This has been a day... Did you find that blindfold, Commander?
- Joon: (sigh) You should have told me.
- Finding the flag
- <Character name>: Okay. This'll make a good blindfold.
- <Character name>: Here. Take this.
- Captain Mai Trin: Oh... Thank you. It's quiet.
- Joon: Mai. Tell us what you ordered your Aetherblades to do. Where are they going?
- Captain Mai Trin: They're about to attack one of your jade processing facilities. But not on my orders.
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: You're their captain.
- Captain Mai Trin: No. I'm not. Ankka mutinied. Took my ships and my crew. Said I was emotionally compromised because of our...history.
- Gorrik: Ankka staged a pirate mutiny.
- Marjory Delaqua: Surprised?
- Gorrik: Not in the least. How do we find her?
- Ivan: You can track them using the ship transponders!
- Ivan: Also: hello, I'm still trapped out here!
- Checking on Ivan
- Captain Mai Trin: Ivan! You didn't leave with the others?
- Ivan: Why would I? When Ivan makes an oath, it's for life.
- Ivan: Commander, you can activate that console. Find where the ships were last spotted.
- Activating the console
- Gorrik: That's...a very wide area.
- Ivan: Ahh, damn. Renyak must've damaged the transponders. It'll show you the rough location, but that's it.
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: "Somewhere around Kaineng" doesn't give us much to work with.
- Captain Mai Trin: Ankka wouldn't just attack any target. She knows what she wants. I can... Let me help.
- Marjory Delaqua: Let you help? How about we help you into a prison cell? Or did you forget about your attack on Lion's Arch?
- Captain Mai Trin: N-no. I...
- Captain Mai Trin: (sigh) I can't undo what I've done...but I can help you find Ankka. Please. Let me do this.
- Marjory Delaqua: You think after today we're gonna trust a word that comes out of your mouth?
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: Jory. You're right. But Ankka has to be stopped—before we have another Lion's Arch here in Cantha.
- Marjory Delaqua: (sigh) Commander, what do you think?
- <Character name>: We'll take Mai Trin with us—under careful watch. And, Captain Trin, one wrong move out of you...
- Marjory Delaqua: ...And you won't live long enough to wind up in Lionguard custody.
- Captain Mai Trin: I understand.
- Marjory Delaqua: Also, I'm keeping your weapons.
- Joon: Okay. I'll talk to some of my associates. If this Ankka is targeting Xunlai Jade, we need to get ahead of it.
- <Character name>: All right. In the meantime, we can head to New Kaineng and—
- Joon: And get arrested for not having a travel permit? You're a Canthan bureaucrat's worst nightmare, Commander.
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: Sounds like you two should pay a visit to the Ministry of Transit.
- <Character name>: All right. You go stop Ankka, and we'll...go to the Ministry of Transit and fill out some paperwork.
- Gorrik: Ministry of Transit. Electrifying.