Lord Faren while visiting Southsun Cove.
Swordmaster Faren, after completing his "training" in Verdant Brink.
Lord Faren in Living World Season 4.
I've got my sword, sensible shoes, and my fighting coiffure. What else do I need?
- 1 Biography
- 2 Locations
- 3 Story involvement
- 4 Event involvement
- 5 Dialogue
- 6 Quotes
- 7 Related achievements
- 8 Notes
- 9 Trivia
- 10 See also
- 11 References
Faren was born to a wealthy noble family and became a childhood friend of Lady Kasmeer Meade with whom he exchanged kisses when they were eight. As a young man, he was "trained" in the art of battle by Swordmaster Bongo the One-Eyed, causing the swordmaster to lose an eye. He also served in Krytan Ministry for a while before stepping down for "personal reasons". As an adult Faren resided in Manor Hill in Divinity's Reach near his childhood friends from the nobility, potentially including the Hero of Shaemoor from a noble lineage.
Faren organized a party in Salma District to celebrate the hero of Shaemoor for defending the village against the centaurs. Shortly after leaving to inform the servants that he and the hero would leave the party, a group of bandits appeared and captured him in a nearby building. While in captivity, he overheard the bandits mention a farmhouse in Shaemoor where the rest of the hostages were locked up.
Faren later accompanied the hero to rescue the hostages at the farmhouse, where he proudly claimed to be the best student Bongo the One-Eyed had ever seen. After leading the captured nobles to safety and meeting up with Logan Thackeray, who mentioned the papermaker Cin Fursarai, Faren told the hero of Shaemoor that he would be of little help for getting information from Fursarai, due to having threatened him in the past.
He later attended a party at Minister Zamon's manor, where he asked the hero to put in a good word for him when speaking to Baroness Jasmina. To return the favor, Faren provided helpful information to prove Zamon's involvement with the bandits who kidnapped the nobles. During the trial of Julius Zamon, Faren mentioned that he turned down a bribe from one of Zamon's servants, and, after the Minister invoked his right to trial by combat, he volunteered as the hero's second.
Faren was forced to take a temporary sabbatical to Southsun Cove after Chauncey von Snuffles III failed to achieve first place in the 1326 AE Fanciest Cat competition. While there, he took note of the Consortium's poor handling of refugees and planned to file a formal complaint about the treatment. He attempted to flirt with Kasmeer who ignored his advances, and got to meet with the Pact Commander.
Faren was later present at the Queen's Jubilee in Divinity's Reach when Scarlet Briar attempted to kidnap Queen Jennah. Faren, not realizing that the Queen making the opening ceremony speech was in fact a mesmer clone created by Countess Anise, rushed to the Queen's defense only to be kidnapped by Scarlet. Faren was stripped to his undergarments but was rescued from a cauldron in the nick of time by the Pact Comander, Rox and Braham Eirsson who eventually forced Scarlet to flee. The experience with Scarlet left Faren rattled.
When the Pact fleet flew to the Heart of Maguuma in order to locate and defeat the Elder Dragon Mordremoth, Faren accompanied them aboard his airship, Faren's Flyer. However, his airship and several others crashed in Verdant Brink after Mordremoth's surprise attack, causing Faren to be separated from the rest of the passengers onboard. He shed all his clothing except for a leather loincloth, wandering through the jungle for hours although to him it felt longer.
Upon finding the rest of the nobles and his old swordmaster Bongo the One-Eyed, Faren underwent rigorous training in order to become a proper swordmaster. Bongo reluctantly agreed to train him but only so he would never have to see Faren again. Upon the completion of his "training", Faren helped escort the remaining nobles to safety and even attacked a fierce wyvern to show off his skills to his female companions.
Following the demise of both Caudecus and Demmi Beetlestone in the Siege of Divinity's Reach, Queen Jennah appointed Faren as the new Lord of Beetletun. While visiting Lion's Arch in 1330 AE, Faren learned of the Pact Commander's plan to travel to the Crystal Desert in pursuit of the rogue god Balthazar. He offered to accompany the Commander who instead suggested that Faren stay behind to look after the supplies for the Elonian refugees at the docks. Faren agreed and successfully thwarted an organized theft of supplies while the Commander was away.
Faren eventually traveled to the Free City of Amnoon alongside Ellen Kiel's party aboard the Phoenix Dawn and mingled with the crowd which was celebrating the Pact Commander's victory over Balthazar in the Battle of Kodash Bazaar. He welcomed the Commander and explained what he had been up to since they had last talked. While attending the party, Faren had stripped to his undergarments to get his body tanned under the Elonian sun, and refused to put on clothing even at nighttime when the Commander suggested that he do so. He listened to the Commander's speech and enjoyed his time in the party, especially when he got to sample Elonian wine. However, the celebration came to a sudden halt when a Brandstorm conjured by the Elder Dragon Kralkatorrik hit Amnoon.
Although the initial Brandstorm was over quickly, another storm hit Amnoon soon after and brought with it a horde of Branded. Chief Councilor Imann, Zalambur, and the Pact Commander's allies from Kryta evacuated a number of civilians via airship while the Commander, local defenders and the dragon Aurene fought off the invaders. He returned to Amnoon later on to help them recover from the Branded attack, and had been contacted by Logan Thackeray when the new Pact Marshal sent a shipment of aid to further assist Amnoon's recovery in order to facilitate the shipment's supplies. However, when Palawa Joko had infected the ship with the Scarab Plague and Awakened the crew, Faren swore to assist the Commander in assaulting Gandara and bring an end to the lich, claiming that a Krytan needed to be present in the war to take down a tyrant who assaulted Tyrian people.
Wearing ceremonial armor, Faren brought a group of people from Amnoon to join the assault in Kourna, but due to the Scarab Plague's threat to humans he was assigned with maintaining supply routes behind the front lines. At one point during the assaults on Gandara, the assaults stalled due to lack of explosives. Seeing time was of the essence, Faren took it upon himself to bring the grenades over. However, he was ambushed and severely injured, only surviving because Rox and a squad of Olmakhan charr had rescued him.
- Domain of Kourna
- Jahai Bluffs
- Chapter 1: Krytan Politics
- Chapter 2: Shadows of the Past
- Episode 10: Queen's Jubilee
- Episode 11: Clockwork Chaos
- Episode 14: The Nightmares Within
- Episode 3: Long Live the Lich
- Episode 4: A Star to Guide Us
- Defend the Pact encampment against hylek attacks (80)
- Help Faren train to be a swordsmaster (80)
- Escort the nobles to the highland ruins (80)
- Defeat the wyvern so the Pact helicopter can land (80)
For previous dialogue, see here.
- In Verdant Brink during Securing Verdant Brink
- Isn't the jungle air invigorating?
- Pact fleet in an airship?
Faren, what inspired you to follow the
- Well, after Zhaitan fell, it was obvious the Pact was undefeatable! I wanted to cheer them on from the sidelines.
- Oh, Faren. May I ask another question?
- Good-bye, Faren.
So, your airship crashed. What happened there?
- I remember a lot of falling. Then, I woke up alone in the jungle. My only thought was for Jasmina. Magnificent Jasmina! I had to find her.
- May I ask you something else?
- All right, Faren. Good-bye.
- In Verdant Brink during Night and the Enemy
- It certainly gets creepy out here at night, doesn't it? I'm not scared, though. Heavens, n— Eek! What was that noise?
- Calm down, Faren. All is well. Good-bye.
- In Allied Encampment
- We won't let you down, Commander.
- I know I can count on you, Faren.
- In Sun's Refuge
- Greetings, Commander!
I'm surprised to see you up and about. How are you feeling?
- Lord Faren: On the mend, thank you! And... well...Being out of commission for a while gave me some time to think.
- Lord Faren: Perhaps I was... a bit hasty in my heroism. Yes, I saved Elona – perhaps humanity itself – but I endangered my friends.
- Lord Faren: From now on, no more leaping into chaos without a moment of thought. It's time for a new Lord Faren.
You sure you'll stick to that?
- Lord Faren: Commander, I'm wounded. Do I inspire that little confidence?
- Brief pause.
- Lord Faren: Commander?
- Good luck.
- Take care.
- What is it?
- I'm rich, you know.
- My time is precious.
- May Lyssa aid you.
- I'm not sure about this.
- Clockwork Chaos: Raced to the Rescue — Save Lord Faren within first 3 minutes of Scarlet's Playhouse. (10 ) (Historical)
- Verdant Brink: Lord of the Jungle — Heal or enhance Lord Faren to support his training. (5 )
- Lord Faren is quite popular with the ladies. Minister Merula seems to be one of his biggest fans.
- A "Faren wall calendar" was issued in 1324 AE, a now coveted object.
- Lord Faren is voiced by Yuri Lowenthal.
- It is not known whether Faren is his first or last name, despite player assumptions. It seems that Bob Faren is not his name.
- He can be seen wearing only his under garments with a hat with the Mini Festive Lord Faren released during the Wintersday season of 2014.
- He bears a striking resemblance to Masked Roller "F", but their true relationship remains unknown.
- Associated items
- Lord Faren's Rapier Skin
- Mini Festive Lord Faren
- Mini Jungle Lord Faren
- Mini Lord Faren
- Mini Officer Faren
- Mini Southsun Faren
- ^ Ambient dialogue during the Secret of Southsun
- Lord Faren: It's not like we've never kissed before.
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: We were eight.
- ^ Defend the Pact encampment against hylek attacks
- ^ A Society Function Countess Anise: A rascal and incorrigible flirt, but a good man. Spent several years in the ministry, but stepped down for "personal reasons". There's more to that story, but that's all I'll say for now.
- ^ Help Faren train to be a swordsmaster
- ^ Sparking the Flame (Prologue) Lord Faren: Heading for the desert, Commander? Swordmaster Faren, Lord of Beetletun, is ready! Let chaos-bringers and quaggan-kickers alike beware!
- ^ Small Victory (Epilogue) Lord Faren: It's a good thing I stayed behind. Yours truly was responsible for thwarting an organized theft of supplies. Imagine! Without Lord Faren on the case, these refugees would have gone without tanning oil.
- ^ Eye of the Brandstorm Captain Rahim: Imann, Zalambur, and your friends from Kryta evacuated a number of civilians via airship.