Lord Faren while visiting Southsun Cove.
Swordmaster Faren, after completing his "training" in Verdant Brink.
Lord Faren in Living World Season 4.
I've got my sword, sensible shoes, and my fighting coiffure. What else do I need?
Faren was born to a wealthy noble family and became a childhood friend of Lady Kasmeer Meade with whom he exchanged kisses when they were eight. As a young man, he was "trained" in the art of battle by Swordmaster Bongo the One-Eyed, causing the swordmaster to lose an eye. He also served in the Krytan Ministry for a while before stepping down for "personal reasons".
As an adult Faren resided in Manor Hill in Divinity's Reach near his childhood friends from the nobility, potentially including the Hero of Shaemoor from a noble lineage. He posed for what became known as the coveted Faren wall calendar in 1324 AE.
Faren organized a party in Salma District to celebrate the noble Hero of Shaemoor for defending the village against the centaurs in 1325 AE. Shortly after leaving to inform the servants that he and the hero would leave the party, a group of bandits appeared and captured him in a nearby building. While in captivity, he overheard the bandits mention a farmhouse in Shaemoor where the rest of the hostages were locked up, until he was rescued by the hero.
Faren accompanied the hero to rescue the hostages at the farmhouse, where he proudly claimed to be the best student Bongo the One-Eyed had ever seen. After leading the captured nobles to safety and meeting up with Captain Logan Thackeray, who had mentioned the papermaker Cin Fursarai, Faren told the Hero of Shaemoor that he would be of little help for getting information from Fursarai, due to having threatened the papermaker in the past.
Following the rescue of the nobles, Faren attended a party at Minister Zamon's manor, where he asked the hero to put in a good word for him when speaking to Baroness Jasmina. To return the favor, Faren provided helpful information to prove Zamon's involvement with the bandits who had been kidnapping nobles. During the trial of Julius Zamon, Faren mentioned that he had turned down a bribe from one of Zamon's servants. After the treacherous minister had invoked his right to trial by combat, Faren volunteered to be the hero's second and witnessed the hero killing Zamon after a fierce clash.
Sometime later, Faren met with the hero in the Upper City while wooing ladies, and expressed worry that the hero might try to compete for the ladies' attention. Upon learning that the hero had no intentions to cut in, he warned the hero about a shifty-looking fellow who had been making eyes at them. Faren's advice turned out to be valuable for the hero who later learned that the informant was working for the White Mantle cult who were after the hero's life.
In order to impress Baroness Jasmina, and to mask the fact that he had not been able to get a reservation at the Golden Flower, Faren took her as his date to Carnivale Gambade. Jasmina was less than impressed and did not believe Faren's claims that he knew the Hero of Shaemoor. Shortly after the hero's arrival, they witnessed many of the carnies performing for the audience, including Madame Gilda whose fortunetelling revealed that Faren had been dating not only Jasmina but another woman, Yosalinda, in secret much to Faren's embarrassment and Jasmina's anger. Following Jasmina's hasty departure, Faren witnessed the hero defeating the Pernicious Viper and expressed his amazement at the hero's combat skills. Upon being asked if he had noticed anything unusual at the carnival which the hero was investigating, Faren promised to keep his eyes open while deciding to walk to Yosalinda's house to receive some comfort.
Faren attended the carnival again after receiving an invitation which had ostensibly been sent by the hero. His thoughts were only on Jasmina, and he initially failed to listen to the hero who was trying to tell him that the letter had been forged and he, as well as others attending the carnival, were in great danger as the Ringmaster was planning to hypnotize the audience with the Floating Grizwhirl and make them spread chaos throughout the capital. However, Faren eventually came to his senses and realized the stakes, promising to help the hero and Logan Thackeray fight against the Ringermaster and his co-conspirators.
Upon foiling the Ringmaster's plans, Faren decided to tell Jasmina about how he had helped save the capital. The hero suggested that Faren should consider finding a new girlfriend better suited for him, and Faren seemed receptive of the idea of getting up to three new girlfriends while he was basking in the glory of his newfound fame.
Faren was forced to take a temporary sabbatical to Southsun Cove after Chauncey von Snuffles III failed to achieve first place in the 1326 AE Fanciest Cat competition. While there, he took note of the Consortium's poor handling of refugees and planned to file a formal complaint about the treatment. He attempted to flirt with Kasmeer who ignored his advances, and met with the Pact Commander.
Faren was later present at the Queen's Jubilee in Divinity's Reach when the sylvari terrorist Scarlet Briar attempted to kidnap Queen Jennah. Faren, not realizing that the queen making the closing ceremony speech was in fact a mesmer clone created by Countess Anise, rushed to the queen's defense only to be kidnapped by Scarlet. Faren was stripped to his undergarments but was rescued from a cauldron in the nick of time by the Pact Comander, Rox and Braham Eirsson who eventually forced Scarlet to flee. The experience with Scarlet left Faren rattled.
Faren attended a party with nobles and ministers in Divinity's Reach in 1327 AE. While conversing with the Pact Commander, he admitted to only attending the party because of the delicious desserts and ladies. During the party Minister Merula set her sights on Faren who in turn seemed receptive of her advances. Faren and the rests of the guests witnessed the Commander exposing Minister Estelle for spreading false rumors about Jennah's supposed collaboration with Scarlet, and the minister's arrest by the Shining Blade.
When the Pact fleet flew to the Heart of Maguuma in order to locate and defeat the Elder Dragon Mordremoth in 1328 AE, Faren accompanied them with his fellow nobles to cheer them on aboard his airship, Faren's Flyer. However, his airship and several others crashed in Verdant Brink after Mordremoth's surprise attack, causing Faren to be separated from the rest of the passengers onboard. He shed all his clothing except for a leather loincloth, wandering through the jungle for hours although to him it felt longer.
Upon finding the rest of the nobles and his old swordmaster Bongo the One-Eyed, Faren underwent rigorous training in order to become a proper swordmaster. Bongo reluctantly agreed to train him but only so he would never have to see Faren again. Upon the completion of his "training", Faren helped escort the remaining nobles to safety and even attacked a fierce wyvern to show off his skills to his female companions. Although his skills wooed Minister Merula, Baroness Jasmina was less enthusiastic about Faren's bravado although she, too, had to admit that Faren had his moments.
Upon returning from the jungle, Faren presented himself as a skilled swordsmaster to impress the women of Divinity's Reach. In 1330 AE, Faren accompanied Minister Merula to the meeting of ministers in the Upper City. He intended to protect his date should the rogue Caudecus Beetlestone or any of his White Mantle followers, whose resurgence had been widely talked about among nobles, appear there to threaten the guests. When conversing with the Pact Commander who was also attending the meeting, Faren explained that he had not noticed anything suspicious although he had been mostly focusing his attention on Merula. When the festivities were interrupted by a strange explosion, Faren cheered the Commander on, certain that the Commander would save the day.
The Upper City came under assault soon after, however, when the White Mantle and their sympathizers among the guests, led by Caudecus's agent Minister Estelle, finally made their presence known. Faren took Merula to safety and let the Pact Commander, Logan Thackeray, Queen Jennah, the Seraph and the Shining Blade deal with the attempted coup. The Siege of Divinity's Reach ended after forces sympathetic to the queen struck back at the White Mantle's army and routed them at Lake Doric.
Following the demise of both Caudecus and Demmi Beetlestone in the Siege of Divinity's Reach which saw the end of the White Mantle threat, Queen Jennah appointed Faren as the new Lord of Beetletun. While visiting Lion's Arch in 1330 AE, Faren learned of the Pact Commander's plan to travel to the Crystal Desert in pursuit of the rogue god Balthazar. He offered to accompany the Commander who instead suggested that Faren stay behind to look after the supplies for the Elonian refugees at the docks. Faren agreed and successfully thwarted an organized theft of supplies while the Commander was away.
Faren eventually traveled to the Free City of Amnoon alongside Ellen Kiel's party aboard the Phoenix Dawn and mingled with the crowd which was celebrating the Pact Commander's victory over Balthazar in the Battle of Kodash Bazaar. He welcomed the Commander and explained what he had been up to since they had last talked. While attending the party, Faren had stripped to his undergarments to get his body tanned under the Elonian sun, and refused to put on clothing even at nighttime when the Commander suggested that he do so. He listened to the Commander's speech and enjoyed his time in the party, especially when he got to sample Elonian wine. However, the celebration came to a sudden halt when a Brandstorm conjured by the Elder Dragon Kralkatorrik hit Amnoon.
Although the initial Brandstorm was over quickly, another storm hit Amnoon soon after and brought with it a horde of Branded. Chief Councilor Imann, Zalambur, and the Pact Commander's allies from Kryta evacuated a number of civilians via airship while the Commander, local defenders and the dragon Aurene fought off the invaders.
Faren returned to Amnoon later on to help them recover from the Branded attack, and had been contacted by Logan Thackeray, when the new Pact Marshal sent a shipment of aid from Kryta to further assist Amnoon's recovery, in order to help facilitate the shipment's supplies. However, when Palawa Joko had infected the ship with the Scarab Plague, Awakened the crew and forced the Commander to stop the plague from spreading into Amnoon with twisted delight, Faren swore to assist the Commander in assaulting Gandara, where Joko had gloated to wait for the Commander's arrival. Faren intended to bring an end to the lich, claiming that a Krytan needed to be present in the war to take down a tyrant who had been assaulting both Elonians and Tyrians.
Wearing ceremonial armor, Faren brought a group of people from Amnoon to join the assault in Kourna, but due to the Scarab Plague's threat to humans he was assigned with maintaining supply routes behind the front lines. At one point during the campaign in the Domain of Kourna, the assaults on Gandara stalled due to lack of explosives. Seeing time was of the essence, Faren took it upon himself to bring the grenades over. However, he was ambushed and severely injured, only surviving because Rox and a squad of Olmakhan charr had rescued him. His actions ensured that Canach could use the explosive to destroy the sentry towers at Gandara Main Approach and allowed the strike force to breach the main gate in the Battle of Gandara, eventually leading to the defeat of Joko and the end of the Scarab Plague.
Faren later joined forces with General Almorra Soulkeeper at the Pact Vanguard camp in Jahai Bluffs and offered his services to Pact officers who suggested he help carry debris to reinforce the makeshift camp's gates against the surrounding Branded. Faren, however, saw such work as not befitting the Master of Swords, and instead chose to pose heroically to bolster the morale of the troops. He later escorted survivors from Branded attacks to Sun's Refuge and informed everyone there that Aurene had fled the sanctuary flying straight through the Branded Crystals. He witnessed Blish and the Commander reassuring their allies shortly afterwards that they were working on a plan to stop Kralkatorrik before it could hurt them or Aurene.
While in Sun's Refuge, Faren told stories of his heroic feats in the Battle of Gandara, only to be dismissed by Spearmarshal Zaeim and others who had heard a different version of the tale much to Faren's dismay. While conversing with the Commander, Faren explained that his wounding had made him rethink his priorities, and he promised to never leap into action again without thinking first. However, much to Faren's horror, the Commander did not seem to be confident in Faren's ability to change his ways.
As news spread about both the Elder Dragon Jormag's latest movements and the increasing activity of Primordus's destroyers in 1333 AE, Faren traveled to the Eye of the North to exchange ideas with other races' representatives. While conversing with the Pact Commander, Faren admitted to having learned from past experience that he could do his best work off the battlefield. His injury from Kourna had healed although his muscles still felt a bit stiff. When he began describing his elaborate stretching regimen to keep limber, the Commander quickly cut him off and moved on.
Faren became a notable patron of the controversial but popular charr author Snargle Goldclaw, and Snargle dedicated the novel The Passions of Faren to him which depicted a chivalric romance between Faren and Mordremoth.
- Domain of Kourna
- Jahai Bluffs
- Divinity's Reach
- Southsun Cove
- Chapter 1: Krytan Politics
- Chapter 2: Shadows of the Past
- Episode 10: Queen's Jubilee
- Episode 11: Clockwork Chaos
- Episode 14: The Nightmares Within
- Episode 3: Long Live the Lich
- Episode 4: A Star to Guide Us
- Defend the Pact encampment against hylek attacks (80)
- Help Faren train to be a swordsmaster (80)
- Escort the nobles to the highland ruins (80)
- Defeat the wyvern so the Pact helicopter can land (80)
For previous dialogue, see here.
- During Securing Verdant Brink
- Isn't the jungle air invigorating?
- Pact fleet in an airship? Faren, what inspired you to follow the
So, your airship crashed. What happened there?
- I remember a lot of falling. Then, I woke up alone in the jungle. My only thought was for Jasmina. Magnificent Jasmina! I had to find her.
- May I ask you something else?
- All right, Faren. Good-bye.
- After the Pact helicopter leaves during Securing Verdant Brink
- Wait! Hold on! The ship's coming back, right?
Yes, um, probably. More than likely. So, what are you going to do now?
- The Pact will send another airship. I know they will. Until then, I'll keep my dear Jasmina safe...and fend off that insufferable Minister Merula.
- May I ask you something else?
- You'll be fine, Faren. Good-bye.
Will you and the others be safe?
- Safe enough! After all, I'll be here to guard them. Right?
- May I ask another question?
- I guess so. Take care.
- You'll be fine, Faren. Good-bye.
- During Night and the Enemy
- It certainly gets creepy out here at night, doesn't it? I'm not scared, though. Heavens, n— Eek! What was that noise?
- Calm down, Faren. All is well. Good-bye.
- Greetings, Commander!
I'm surprised to see you up and about. How are you feeling?
- Lord Faren: On the mend, thank you! And... well...Being out of commission for a while gave me some time to think.
- Lord Faren: Perhaps I was... a bit hasty in my heroism. Yes, I saved Elona—perhaps humanity itself—but I endangered my friends.
- Lord Faren: From now on, no more leaping into chaos without a moment of thought. It's time for a new Lord Faren.
You sure you'll stick to that?
- Lord Faren: Commander, I'm wounded. Do I inspire that little confidence?
- (Brief pause.)
- Lord Faren: Commander?
- Good luck.
- Take care.
- Ahai, as they say in Elona! I heard the call for heroes and naturally answered. I've learned from past experience that I can do my best work off the battlefield, so here I am.
How's your injury?
- From Kourna? Seems so long ago, doesn't it. All better now, though on certain mornings the muscles feel a bit stiff. Have to maintain my stretching regimen to keep limber, if you—
- Yes, I know what you mean.
- Take it easy, Faren.
- What is it?
- I'm rich, you know.
- My time is precious.
- May Lyssa aid you.
- I'm not sure about this.
Wintersday greetings from Lord Faren.
- Clockwork Chaos: Raced to the Rescue — Save Lord Faren within first 3 minutes of Scarlet's Playhouse. (10 ) (Historical)
- Verdant Brink: Lord of the Jungle — Heal or enhance Lord Faren to support his training. (5 )
- Lord Faren is voiced by Yuri Lowenthal.
- It is not known whether Faren is his first or last name, despite player assumptions and the existence of Lord Humphrey Faren. It seems that Bob Faren is not his name.
- Lord Faren seems to be quite popular with the ladies. Minister Merula seems to be one of his biggest fans, even owning the coveted "Faren wall calendar" issued in 1324 AE.
- Faren bears a striking resemblance to Masked Roller "F", but their true relationship remains unknown.
- Associated items
- Lord Faren's Rapier Skin
- Mini Festive Lord Faren
- Mini Jungle Lord Faren
- Mini Lord Faren
- Mini Officer Faren
- Mini Southsun Faren
- ^ Ambient dialogue during the Secret of Southsun
- Lord Faren: It's not like we've never kissed before.
- Lady Kasmeer Meade: We were eight.
- ^ Defend the Pact encampment against hylek attacks
- ^ A Society Function
- Countess Anise: A rascal and incorrigible flirt, but a good man. Spent several years in the ministry, but stepped down for "personal reasons". There's more to that story, but that's all I'll say for now.
- ^ a b Party Politics Minister Merula: Oh, yes! I know all his favorite restaurants, venues, and shops. I even have the coveted Faren wall calendar of 1324 AE!
- ^ Help Faren train to be a swordsmaster
- ^ Sparking the Flame (Prologue)
- Lord Faren: Heading for the desert, Commander? Swordmaster Faren, Lord of Beetletun, is ready! Let chaos-bringers and quaggan-kickers alike beware!
- ^ Small Victory (Epilogue)
- Lord Faren: It's a good thing I stayed behind. Yours truly was responsible for thwarting an organized theft of supplies. Imagine! Without Lord Faren on the case, these refugees would have gone without tanning oil.
- ^ Eye of the Brandstorm
- Captain Rahim: Imann, Zalambur, and your friends from Kryta evacuated a number of civilians via airship.
- ^ Pact Vanguard ambient dialogue
- ^ Sun's Refuge ambient dialogue