Tyria should have known. The signs of the dragonrise were everywhere:
The earthquake that shook Rata Sum.
The tidal wave that carried ships into the streets of Lion’s Arch.
The geysers that erupted in the tundra beyond Hoelbrak.
The pall that hung over the Black Citadel.
Tyria had been wracked by such terrible birth pangs before.
The people should have guessed that a dragon was rising.
— Chapter 27: Dragonrise, Edge of Destiny
Dragonrise is a term used to refer to the cyclic awakenings of the Elder Dragons. Dragonrises occur roughly every 10,000 years, lasting for several centuries before the Elder Dragons fall back into slumber from consuming all of Tyria's available magic. The rises are often accompanied by cataclysmic events as the Elder Dragons' initial activity transforms the very land around them with corruption.
Known dragonrises and their effects
|Jormag||Caused the Dragonstorm that lasted for several seasons and forced the kodan to flee to the north seas.|
At the beginning of Guild Wars 2
|Dragon||Date of most recent awakening||Place of awakening||Effects|
|Primordus||1120 AE||Beneath Central Transfer Chamber, Depths of Tyria||Invaded Quora Sum and other asuran cities, drove the asura and the skritt to the surface, and eradicated many subterranean races entirely.|
|S...?||Unknown||Somewhere in the Unending Ocean||Unknown initial effects. Its advance is speculated to have been the reason why the krait fled to surface waters, which in turn forced the southern quaggans to flee north as the krait captured or killed the royal markissios family and caused the disappearance of the quaggan goddess Mellaggan.|
|Jormag||1165 AE||Somewhere in the lands beyond the Far Shiverpeaks||Created a massive blizzard that laster for four years and buried the northern passes, killed several norn and forced them to flee south in the norn exodus. Caused the disappearance of four of the Spirits of the Wild—Eagle, Owl, Ox, and Wolverine. Forced several kodan to flee south to the Shiverpeak Mountains and caused the creation of a new inland sea in the Far Shiverpeaks. Tore apart Gunnar's Hold with a massive glacier.|
|Zhaitan||1219 AE||Beneath the Ruins of Orr||Caused the Rising of Orr, creating the Great Tsunami that flooded old Lion's Arch and Atholma while turning Dajkah into an archipelago.|
|Kralkatorrik||1320 AE||Kralkatorrik's Emergence Zone, Grothmar Valley||Created the Dragonbrand with his breath, corrupted several beings in Ascalon and sent them to assault Ebonhawke in the Ogre Revolt, killed Glint and Snaff during a battle in the Desert Highlands.|
- ^ Chapter 27: Dragonrise, Edge of Destiny by J. Robert King
- ^ The Ruined City of Arah explorable Jotun path
- Varra Skylark: This is an amazing discovery! The jotun's sky-sweeper shows a stellar match with the last time the dragons awoke.
- <Character name>: When was that last time?
- Varra Skylark: Around ten thousand years ago. You know what this means? The Elder Dragons may have been responsible for the extinction of the Giganticus Lupicus!
- ^ Kodan Snowcaller
- ^ a b The Wisdom and Power of the Kodan
- ^ That Old College Try
- ^ Nanacatl
- ^ Pastkeeper
- ^ The Mostly Harmless Quaggan
- ^ Thyrie Bylund
- ^ A Spirit of Legend
- ^ Gamal
- ^ "Chapter 18: The Calm Before", Edge of Destiny by J. Robert King: "We fought Jormag—gladly we fought it, for norn are made for battle. But never had we fought a beast like this. It was a living blizzard. It and its minions froze us where we fought and buried our lands in snow and ice and tore apart Gunnar's Hold with a massive glacier. It took our lands. It drove us south."
- ^ Sea of Sorrows
- ^ The Movement of the World
- ^ Of Maelstroms
- ^ Edge of Destiny
- ^ The World Summit
- ^ Torn from the Sky