4 19 6
The Pale Tree
Sylvari awaken in the Grove and consider it their home. The Pale Tree stands at its heart. Also known as the Mother Tree, she gives love and wise guidance to her sprouts.
— In-game description
Hundreds of years ago, the Grove was the site of a human village, amongst whom was a Shining Blade member by the name of Ronan. Ronan, a soldier and a warrior, went out to war, and in his travels came across a cavern full of seeds the size of a man's fist. With one of those seeds stowed away, Ronan arrived back home, only to find that the villagers, including his daughter and the rest of his kin, had been massacred by mursaat. In grief, Ronan made a vow of non-violence and planted that seed upon the graves of his family. It was this seed, tended by Ronan and the centaur Ventari in a small sanctuary until their passing, that would later become the Pale Tree that anchors the Grove today.
|Omphalos Chamber (instance)|
|The Song Bower||—|
|The Quester's Terrace||
|Dreamer's Terrace (home instance)|
|Garden of Dawn||
|Garden of Dusk||
|Garden of Night|
|Garden of Noon|
|The Sea Rider's Gate||—|
- Omphalos Chamber
Tixx's Infinirarium over the Grove during Wintersday 2012.
- Concept arts
- Although mechanically counting for the Maguuma Explorer, in lore it is part of the Tarnished Coast.
- The Grove shares many parallels to Ventari's Refuge in that it was founded on values of peace and mercy, and that it is also the location of a gargantuan tree.
- Much like the sylvari themselves, The Grove underwent a major redesign very close to the release of the game. In total, The Grove has gone through 3 different iterations.
- The original appearance of The Grove can be seen on the video that explains the redesign of the sylvari. Guild Wars 2 - Growing the Sylvari (From Guild Wars 2's official YouTube)
- The second version of The Grove is much similar to the final third version, the live version, but several elements were cut out from it. Some of these changes were the removal of several sunflowers, a sylvari fountain, the recoloring of the leaves of the Pale Tree from soft yellow to pink, and, most importantly, a complete redesign of the plant-staircases and bridges that connected the different levels of The Grove. This second appearance of The Grove can be seen in the video introduction to the sylvari race. Guild Wars 2 - The Home Soil of the Sylvari (From Guild Wars 2's official YouTube)
- The Gate Assistant and Gate Engineer converse about why the Gate Engineer's golem runs away after the Gate Assistant asks it a some questions. The questions are a reference to Leon's interrogation at the Tyrell Corporation by Holden in the movie Blade Runner.
- The official Home of the Sylvari trailer.