- This article is about a story instance. For the book, see The Legacy.
- 1331 AE
- Living World Season 4
- A Star to Guide Us
- Venta Pass
Old Command Post
Click to enlarge
Journey into the sanctuary.
- Meet up with Koss and Braham.
- Follow Koss.
- Use a mount to leap across the chasm, and raise the drawbridge.
- Find the entrance to the inner chamber.
- Instruct Kossan to burn the webbing.
- Defeat the spiders blocking your way.
- Spiders remaining: 7
- Proceed into the cavern.
- Instruct Kossan to light the center brazier.
- Defeat the spiders swarming the center brazier.
- Investigate the other braziers with Braham.
- Light all braziers and clear out the hall within 7:00 to make Braham look good.
- Egg sacs destroyed: 0/3
- Defeat the spider broodmother.
- Cover Braham while he burns the webbing covering the brazier. (When Broodmother reaches 75%, 50%, and 25%)
- Return to the center brazier.
- Use a torch to reignite the the [sic]sanctuary's center brazier.
Determine the team's next steps.
- Discuss your findings with the group.
- Hold off the Branded attack outside the chamber.
- Defeat Branded to destabilize the Mist rift.
- Mist Rift Stability
- Defeat the Branded Riftstalker.
- Escort Eir and Snaff to Aurene inside Sun's Refuge.
- Gather around Aurene.
- Listen to Eir and Snaff as they deliver their message to Aurene.
- Quiet the frightened villages so Blish can speak.
- Listen to Blish's idea.
- Clearing the Santuary
Meet up with Braham, Kossan, and Koss inside the instance. Use your raptor to leap across the bridge, then interact with the Drawbridge Mechanism to allow your allies to cross. Make your way south until you reach a corridor blocked by spider webs, and instruct Kossan to destroy them. Several spiders will spawn, freaking out Braham and hinting at how your next ten minutes are going to go.Kossan will attempt to light the brazier inside the Sanctuary, spawning more spiders. After killing a few, Kossan will instruct you to take Braham and clear out the other braziers of webs. A timer will appear, but aside from an achievement, there's no mission penalty for letting it run out. Follow one of the arrows on the map to one of the three braziers and clear out the three Egg Sacs, causing the Colossal Broodmother to spawn. Take her down to 75% and she will burrow away. Braham will start clearing the webs, but his arachnophobia will keep getting the better of him: use your special action skill Braham, focus! to snap him back to his senses.
When he's finished clearing the webs, the Broodmother will return to gobble you both up. This cannot be prevented, and you cannot escape her clutches until she's ready to put you down. Break Free will pop up on your skill bar at random; failure to press it before it moves again will result in you taking damage. The Broodmother will carry you off to one of the other braziers. Bring her down by another 25% and continue as before. When all three braziers have been cleared, the Broodmother will carry you back to the Dejarins. Finish her off along with the rest of the spiders, then light the Center Brazier.
- Fending off the Branded
After your allies have had a chance to chat, head north into the Old Command Post to find a large rift belching Branded enemies into the area. Clear them out and a cutscene will play, spawning a Legendary Branded Riftstalker and two new allies: Eir and Snaff.
The Riftstalker telegraphs its attacks clearly. A storm of AoE will litter the arena; try to avoid these, as they will add stacks of Branded Accumulation — at ten stacks, you will be encased in a Branded crystal. At 66% and 33% the Riftstalker will turn invulnerable and spawn several Branded Pods: destroy these, and any Branded Riftcrawlers that pop out of them if you're not fast enough, to make the Riftstalker vulnerable again.
Once it's dead, follow your allies back into the Refuge to discuss your options and watch another cutscene.
|Legacy||A Star to Guide Us||0|
|Regroup with your allies in the abandoned Sunspear sanctuary.Journal: Legacy Completed||1 Objective completed||0|
|Is It Over Yet?||A Star to Guide Us||1|
| Light all braziers and clear out the hall within the time limit to make Braham look good.Koss was impressed. Braham was happy. Time to never mention this again—for Braham's sake.
Story Instance: Legacy
|1 Objective completed||1|
- Spam Braham, focus! to ensure Braham gets his job done swiftly.
- Eligibility can be tracked via Qualify for Is It Over Yet.
|Not Today||A Star to Guide Us||1|
| Defeat the spider broodmother without being downed or defeated.Nothing is allowed to have that many legs and stay alive.
Story Instance: Legacy
|1 Objective completed||1|
- While the Broomother has swallowed you, use Break Free as it pops up on your skill bar to prevent her from dealing damage to you.
- Eligibility can be tracked via Qualify for Not Today.
|Unbranded||A Star to Guide Us||1|
| Complete Legacy without being encompassed in Branded crystal.You've never been a fan of that brand.
Story Instance: Legacy
|1 Objective completed||1|
- Don't let your Branded Accumulation reach 10 stacks. Standing in the small AoEs will apply a stack; dodging removes a stack.
- Eligibility can be tracked via Qualify for Unbranded.
|Pod Smasher||A Star to Guide Us||1|
| Defeat the Branded Riftstalker without any Branded pods detonating.Branded pods are not edible.
Story Instance: Legacy
|1 Objective completed||1|
- Two sets of pods will spawn: three at 66%, and six at 33%. A red circular timer will appear above each pod to indicate how long it has until it detonates.
- Destroying all six pods at the 33% phase can be tricky to solo. When the Riftstalker nears 33%, move near one of the edges of the rift so you will be near the first pod when it spawns; you can then make your way through the pods in order to save time.
- Eligibility can be tracked via Qualify for Pod Smasher.
- Awakened Archer
- Awakened Soldier
- Free Awakened Citizen
- Koss Dejarin
- Veteran Mordant Crescent Arbiter
- Kossan Dejarin
- Lord Faren
- Priory Arcanist
- Priory Explorer
- Priory Historian
- Spearmarshal Zaeim
- Vigil Tactician
- Branded Charr
- Branded Human
- Branded Minotaur
- Branded Awakened Mummy
- Branded Awakened Occultist
- Branded Awakened Soldier
- Branded Awakened Archer
- Branded Riftcrawler
- Branded Riftstalker
Entering the instance:
- Koss Dejarin: And you're my...
- Kossan Dejarin: Great-grandson. With a few extra "greats."
- Koss Dejarin: I see...
- Koss Dejarin: You have her eyes.
- Kossan Dejarin: Whose?
- Koss Dejarin: Melonni's.
- Braham Eirsson: Commander. You okay?
- <Character name>: Kralkatorrik is in the Mists. Chunks of another reality are bleeding into ours. We have to fix this, Braham.
- Braham Eirsson: Hey, we will. We always do.
- Koss Dejarin: Let's get this place ready to welcome the survivors. Then...we'll handle the bigger problem.
- Kossan Dejarin: Can you raise that bridge from the other side, Commander? I'll throw the torch to give you a little light.
- Braham Eirsson: Don't we need one over here?
- Kossan Dejarin: I brought a spare. The Order of Shadows always comes prepared.
Interacting with the Drawbridge Mechanism:
- Drawbridge Mechanism: (The lever doesn't budge. Centuries of disuse have caused it to stick.)
- Nothing a good kick won't fix.
After raising the Drawbridge:
- Braham Eirsson: Least we know nobody's been here in a long time.
- Koss Dejarin: Not since I left it, probably.
Entering the Old Command Post:
- Koss Dejarin: Almost there. The Brand did a number on this place, but the inner chamber should be safe enough.
- Koss Dejarin: We can use it as a base from which to form our battle plan. Figure out how to clean up that Elder Dragon's mess.
- Taimi: Commander? We finally found Aurene. She...she fell out of the sky over Gandara.
- <Character name>: Fell out of the sky?
- Taimi: She's fine—but she needs to rest. We're on our way to the sanctuary now with a few civilians.
- Koss Dejarin: Then we'd better get this place ready for her. We need to activate Kormir's fire.
- Braham Eirsson: Activate what?
- Koss Dejarin: Her final gift to us. Used her magic to keep the area safe.
At entrance to the inner chamber:
- Braham Eirsson: Spider webs. 'Cause the problem with this place is it's too cheery.
- Kossan Dejarin: Good thing I brought the right gear. Kournan tar—burns a little hotter. Just give me the word.
Interacting with Kossan:
- <Character name>: Go ahead.
- Kossan burns the wall of spider webs, spawning spiders.
- Braham Eirsson: Spiders. Course. Can't have spider webs without spiders.
- Koss Dejarin: They weren't Branded. What did I tell you? Inner chamber is safe.
Entering Sun's Refuge:
- Koss Dejarin: Behold: the Chamber of the Sun.
- Koss Dejarin: Looks like the current residents redecorated.
- <Character name>: What matters is that it's safe from Kralkatorrik.
- Kossan Dejarin: If my history lesson was correct, lighting these fires will activate Kormir's protection spell.
- Kossan Dejarin: Let me know when you're ready. And...you might want to stand back or something. It hasn't been lit in a while...
- <Character name>: Light it.
- Koss Dejarin: Why isn't the outer ring lighting? Webs must be blocking the fire.
- The entrance caves in.
- Braham Eirsson: Uh...what was that?
- Koss Dejarin: Dammit—whatever it was caused a cave-in. We're trapped. Kind of sounded like...
- Spiders spawn all over.
- Braham Eirsson: Oh, come on!
- Koss Dejarin: Blighted little things just keep coming.
- Kossan Dejarin: We'll keep these busy. You check on the other braziers.
- Koss Dejarin: Unless Braham wants to sit this one out.
- Braham Eirsson: Me? Don't be ridiculous. I could stomp 'em all dead in ten minutes flat.
- Koss Dejarin: Ten whole minutes! Leisurely pace.
- Braham Eirsson: Seven! Seven minutes.
- Koss Dejarin: Now you're talking! Kossan, my boy, let's show 'em this family can hold our own!
Approaching one of the side braziers.
- Braham Eirsson: Oh, good. More webs. And now there's egg sacs.
- Braham Eirsson: Ha. That wasn't so bad.
- Kossan Dejarin: Hey, Braham—still okay over there?
- Braham Eirsson: Uh...three more minutes.
- Koss Dejarin: Not a chance.
Using the "Braham, focus!" special action skill near Braham (random):
- <Character name>: You're fine, Braham! Keep fighting!
- <Character name>: Focus on the webs!
- Braham Eirsson: Okay. I got this.
- Braham Eirsson: You can do this, Braham.
- Braham Eirsson: Just a few spiders...
- Braham Eirsson: Oh, spirits, the legs! I need cover!
- Braham Eirsson: Commander, get these things off me!
- Braham Eirsson: Don't let 'em near me!
- Braham Eirsson: Keep 'em away from me!
When the Colossal Broodmother moves Braham and player to another brazier
- Koss Dejarin: Ha! Having fun, Braham?
- Braham Eirsson: You think this is funny?
When the Colossal Broodmother moves Braham and player to a third brazier
- Kossan Dejarin: Again? Should we save him?
- Koss Dejarin: You and I would be standing over that thing's corpse by now.
After relighting all three side braziers:
- Koss Dejarin: Another kill, Kossan? You truly are a Dejarin!
- Braham Eirsson: Glad SOMEONE'S enjoying this.
- Kossan Dejarin: She snuffed out the fire—we'll have to take her down!
After killing the Broodmother
- If completed within seven minutes:
- Koss Dejarin: Seven minutes. Didn't think you'd pull it off.
- Koss Dejarin: Seven minutes, huh?
- Braham Eirsson: Just glad it's over...
- <Character name>: Braham, I didn't know you're—
- Braham Eirsson: I'm not! It's just...Rox always takes care of the spiders.
- Kossan Dejarin: I think we can relight Kormir's fires now.
- Kossan Dejarin: Commander? Do the honors?
- Braham Eirsson: You'll need this. Catch.
After relighting the brazier:
- Koss Dejarin: There. This place has a new purpose. Feels like it needs a new name. I hereby declare thee...Sun's Refuge!
- Kossan Dejarin: Perfect. I hope your friends will be able to—
- The earlier cave-in is opened.
- Taimi: Whoa! What are all these rocks doing here? Oh, hey Commander!
- Taimi: Look, Aurene—we made it. Go ahead and sleep it off.
- Gorrik: Wait... Triangular web structure...bioluminescent traces...
- Gorrik: This lair houses a Lubinella cadentis! They were supposed to be extinct!
- Braham Eirsson: They are now.
- Taimi: Not that I don't like being safe in here, but um, how are we gonna stop the crazy outside?
- Blish: Kralkatorrik's presence in the Mists is destablizing the border between our world and the next.
- Taimi: So, what does that actually mean?
- Blish: I don't want to sound alarmist, but... Reality might...disintegrate.
- Taimi: Well, what does THAT me— Wait. You know what? Never mind; I don't wanna know. Why is Kralk doing this? What's he after?
- <Character name>: That villager said something that stuck with me. Right before the rifts appeared...they saw Aurene.
- Spearmarshal Zaeim: The same thing happened in Jahai! The Shatterer attacked after Aurene paid us a visit.
- Taimi: Wait... The data I have on the Mist rifts... Gimme a second...
- Taimi: Oh, no... That's it. Kralkatorrik's attacks—they're all places Aurene was at first. SHE'S the connection!
- <Character name>: That crystal monster—he's HUNTING her!
- Koss Dejarin: Aurene should be safe as long as she stays in the chamber. But these walls are old. We need to fortify.
- <Character name>: Good idea. We can't afford any surprises—
- Villager: Outside! Branded, everywhere!
- Braham Eirsson: They found us! Let's move!
- Kossan Dejarin: We'll protect Aurene! Go!
Heading outside to the Old Command Post:
- Blish: Mist rift—a big one! We need to close it!
- <Character name>: Zaeim, get the civilians to safety! Braham, let's shut that rift.
- Braham Eirsson: Right behind you.
Cinematic during the fight:
- Familiar Voice: Stay alert—we've got a Riftstalker on our tail!
- Braham: Mother?
- Eir Stegalkin: The Riftstalker, Braham! We have to take it down!
- Snaff: Ha! Eat my bullets, you ugly beast!
- Eir: Really, Snaff?
- Snaff: It's been years since I've seen this much excitement. Just let me have this.
- Eir: Focus on those pods! We'll distract the Riftstalker!
- Eir: Braham! Watch it!
- Braham Eirsson: I— Sorry—
- Eir: You're better than this! Focus.
- Snaff: We've almost got it! Keep fighting, team!
- Eir: You never change, do you?
After the Riftstalker is killed:
- Snaff: Well! That's taken care of.
- Taimi: Wait, are you... You're— You're Snaff! You wrote my textbook on comparative golemantic theory!
- Braham Eirsson: Mother— I can't believe—
- If asura:
- <Character name>: Snaff, it's really you...and Eir...but you're both dead. How is this possible?
- If norn:
- <Character name>: Eir... you're dead. We lit your funeral pyre. How is this possible?
- <Character name>: You're... you're dead. How is this possible?
- Eir: You're asking the wrong norn. Look, we can't stay in this world for long. Glint sent us—with a message for Aurene.
- Snaff: Kralkatorrik has begun to consume the magical energy inside the Mists!
- <Character name>: Just like he consumed Balthazar's magic! That explains all the chaos out there...
- Snaff: If allowed to continue unabated, he will devour reality itself.
- <Character name>: Blish was right.
- <Character name>: Aurene is inside. This way.
Heading back inside Sun's Refuge:
- Braham Eirsson: Mother, I...I don't...
- Braham Eirsson: Can we...talk?
- Eir: Braham... We don't have a lot of time. And talking was never our strong suit anyway. What's done is done.
- Eir: I wasn't what you needed. I know that. And I'm sorry, but... I had to be true to myself. I had to follow my legend.
- Eir: I didn't want to leave you behind. Believe me. I knew the cost. But if I'd stayed...what good to you would I have been?
- Braham Eirsson: I'm not asking to change the past. I just, seeing you now... Is it really too late for us?
- Eir: Yes, Braham. It's too late. I'm dead. And anyway, I could never have been the family you needed but don't you see?
- Eir: You have that family. These people love you. They will grow your legend...if you'll just stop trying to drive them away.
- Braham Eirsson: But...
- Eir: And yet, they're still here. Look at that... Let me go, Son. Live your life.
- Taimi: Mister Snaff, sir? Um, can I pick your brain about concave versus convex reflectors in surveyor-golem visual sensors?
- Snaff: You're quite precocious, aren't you? What did you say your name was?
- Taimi: Taimi. Sir.
- Snaff: Ah! Zojja's apprentice. That explains it.
- Taimi: Uh...explains what?
- Snaff: Oh, I've heard great things.
- Taimi: Eeeh!
- <Character name>: Hey, Aurene. How are you feeling?
- Eir: Aurene, I need you to listen carefully. Your mother sent us.
- Snaff: Glint is doing everything she can to hold off Kralkatorrik. But she won't win.
- Eir: She needs you. It's time for you to fulfill Glint's legacy.
- Braham Eirsson: Wait, what does that mean?
- Snaff: Aurene must kill Kralkatorrik and replace him as Elder Dragon.
- Eir: Now.
- <Character name>: No. She can't face Kralkatorrik alone. She isn't ready!
- Snaff: Not alone, Commander. Your fate is entwined with hers. The prophecy hinges on you both.
- Eir: You must take him down—together. And do not tarry. The more you wait, the more powerful Kralkatorrik will become.
- Braham Eirsson: What, you expect them to take down a walking hurricane by themselves? Aurene's still a kid!
- Taimi: Stop it! You're scaring her!
- Snaff: This is why you were brought together. Vlast failed because he didn't have a champion, Commander. He didn't have you.
- Braham Eirsson: Then I'm going, too. They're not doing this alone!
- Taimi: They're not doing it at all!
- Eir: Aurene, look at me. Defeat Kralkatorrik and take his place! It's what you were born to do!
- Taimi: Aurene!
- Braham Eirsson: Mother...?
- Gorrik: What was that?
- Blish: The battle with Kralkatorrik. Aurene has had a premonition. A vision of the future... Of MULTIPLE futures...
- Taimi: The outcome is always the same. No matter what we do...
- <Character name>: Aurene dies.
- Lord Faren: We just came from outside. Aurene broke straight through the Branded crystal. She's...she's gone.
- Villager: Oh gods...not even the dragon will face Kralkatorrik!
- Villager: What are we going to do? We have no way to know when he's coming!
- Spearmarshal Zaeim: Please, everyone, calm down.
- Villager: Calm down? You saw what it's like out there!
- Villager: Kormir, hear my prayer...
- Blish: Actually, I think I can—
- Villager: He comes out of nowhere! I don't want to die!
- Free Awakened Citizen: We already lost a whole village!
- Blish: I have an idea we could—
- Villager: We have to fight back!
- Villager: It's no use! We'll never see him coming!
- <Character name>: Everyone! Blish has something to say.
- Blish: You're frightened, and you have every right to be. But we need to be strong for each other. We need to stay calm.
- Villager: How are we supposed to "stay calm" when an Elder Dragon could attack at any moment?
- Blish: Luckily, handling dragons is what the Pact does best. The commander and I have a plan to keep you safe—
- Free Awakened Citizen: What is it, then? What's the plan?
- Gorrik: Patience! If anyone can think his way out of this, it's Blish. He can do anything.
- Blish: Inaccurate, but thank you. I believe I can create a device that will warn us when Kralkatorrik is coming.
- Blish: And we're going to begin working on it immediately. Right, Commander?
- <Character name>: ...Yes. Of course. Lead the way.
- Spearmarshal Zaeim: I'll send word to the remaining Sunspears, Commander. They should join us here.
- Villager: Are we suppsoed to just...trust him? A golem?
- Free Awakened Citizen: What if we have to leave again?
Talking to Blish:
- <Character name>: You really have a plan?
- Blish: Not yet, but widespread panic had to be averted. However, I have the beginning of one.
- Blish: Mists aside, our most pressing problem is that we don't know when or where Kralkatorrik will appear.
- Blish: But if we were to enter the Mists and affix a tracking device to him, I could create an algorithm to predict his movement.
- <Character name>: Hm. And use it as an early warning system! Evacuate the settlements he's headed toward! But how do we pull this off?
- Blish: Leave the device to me. But we'll need a lure: magic tasty enough to tempt a dragon.
- Blish: Something like... Ah—Balthazar's sword!
- <Character name>: There...might be a problem with that.
- Blish: I know. The sword was lost when you killed Balthazar. It may not even exist anymore.
- Blish: But word is, the Priory is currently surveying the battle site. If anyone can find that sword, it's them. Shall we?
Talking to allies:
- Blish: Ready to hunt down that sword, Commander?
Explain to me why we need Balthazar's sword.
- Blish: Our mother used to entice Gorrik and me into taking medicine by giving us candy. Same theory here.
- Blish: We need Kralkatorrik to ingest the device. Balthazar's sword—and by extension, his tasty magic—is the candy.
- Never mind.
- Braham Eirsson: Sorry. I...need some time to think. Can we talk later?
- Taimi: Aw, dang it! I should've asked for his autograph!
- Gorrik: He's a ghost. Can he even hold a pen?
- Taimi: I mean...he can hold a rifle.
- Gorrik: Besides, hero worship is unhealthy. Only leads to disappointment.
- Taimi: Gorrik, we need to talk about letting people have their fun.
- Lubinella cadentis is a type of spiders thought to be extinct in Tyria. In real life, Lubinella morobensis is the only known species from its genus.