My brother's duty and my mother's destiny wouldn't have existed without my grandfather's hunger. If that's so, isn't a prophecy just knowing what must be done and who should do it?
|After defeating her grandfather Kralkatorrik, Aurene ascends as the Elder Dragon of Crystal and Light.|
- Primary article: Glint's Egg
Aurene hatched in the Inner Chamber of Tarir in 1329 AE, a few months after absorbing some of the magic from the surge caused by the Elder Dragon Mordremoth's death. The hatching of Glint's second scion attracted the Elder Dragon Primordus's destroyers which assaulted her sanctum to get to her. Thanks to the combined efforts of the Pact Commander, the Luminate of the Exalted and the being who called himself the mursaat Lazarus, the destroyers were thwarted.
Afterwards, the Commander's allies Caithe and Marjory Delaqua hurried into the chamber to see if anyone was hurt, only to be relieved to see the party safe. The hatchling used her connection to her champion to whisper her name and preferred gender to the Commander who then revealed the hatchling's name as Aurene. Caithe pledged herself to act as the hatchling's guardian during the Commander's absence while Marjory promised to follow Lazarus and see if the mursaat was earnest about wanting to help the Commander's guild, Dragon's Watch, fight the Elder Dragons.
Aurene formed a close bond with the Commander, sending visions of herself through great distances via the mental link they now shared. The Commander stopped by in Tarir in between missions and helped the rambunctious hatchling undergo a series of Exalted tests to teach her valuable life lessons and thus steer her towards the path of goodness rather than selfishness so that she could one day become a great ally to the races of Tyria.
Aurene was agitated by the death of her brother Vlast at the former god Balthazar's hands in 1330 AE, causing distress among the Exalted, Caithe, and the asura Taimi who tried to calm the hatchling down but in vain. After eventually learning to fly inside the egg chamber, the scion was lured down to the Crystal Desert after sensing the Pact Commander's distress during a prolonged duel with Balthazar. As soon as Aurene arrived, however, Balthazar revealed that he had only toyed with the Commander to force Aurene to come to assist her champion as he had found out about the mental link the pair shared.
Following this, the rogue God of War captured Aurene after a brief clash and slew the Commander before her eyes. The hatchling was placed within Balthazar's gargantuan Warbeast machine which the former god had originally intended for Vlast until his sacrifice. Balthazar planned to use the scion of Glint as a power source in order to harm her grandfather, the Elder Dragon Kralkatorrik, due to the resonance the Crystal Dragons shared. He was successful in chasing Kralkatorrik to the Kodash Bazaar where Aurene's power managed to paralyze Kralkatorrik. Before the God of War could deliver the killing blow, however, the resurrected Commander arrived just in time to free the hatchling during the Battle of Kodash Bazaar.
Aurene aided her champion in the final battle against Balthazar by strengthening and shielding the Commander with her magic and using a joint attack which she had learned during her training with the Commander in Tarir. Aurene appeared to absorb some of the power released by the death of the rogue god before leaving the Commander behind and flying off towards Kralkatorrik who had likewise been empowered by the magic unleashed by Balthazar. Some time after the battle had ended, Aurene roared in a distant location, revealing that she had grown once more due to the magic she had consumed.
When a Brandstorm conjured by the empowered Kralkatorrik hit over the Free City of Amnoon, Aurene appeared and fought in the skies against the Elder Dragon's Branded minions such as the Branded Wyvern. When the wyvern landed, Aurene delivered a striking blow after the recharging crystals had been destroyed. Once the battle was over, Aurene landed as well. She gave a prophetic vision to the members of Dragon's Watch and Shadows Agent Kito about an army of Awakened, led by a mysterious figure, assaulting Tyrians from the ancient city of Fahranur.
The Pact Commander sailed to the Domain of Istan to figure out the vision and find a way into Fahranur, and was accompanied by Aurene flying beside the ship. When the Commander was captured by Warden Amala while searching for Spearmarshal Zaeim, Aurene assisted Dragon's Watch and the Sunspears in their assault on the Mordant Crescent Great Hall to liberate the pair. Once freed, the Commander continued the search for Fahranur and asked the scion to protect the Sunspears who were planning to reclaim Champion's Dawn in the meantime. Aurene did exactly that and assisted the Sunspears whenever they launched raids against the Awakened and the Mordant Crescent throughout Istan, laying down air support to cover their retreat where needed.
During the Commander's visit to the Sandswept Isles in 1331 AE, the Olmakhan charr village of Atholma came under attack by Inquest golems sent from the nearby facility of Rata Primus. When the Commander, Braham Eirsson and Rox were about to be overwhelmed in the assault, Aurene arrived to provide air support and cleared a path for them to escort the charr cubs to safety. The Commander managed to convince the surprised Olmakhan to not shoot Aurene down, explaining that the dragon was on their side.
After the golems had been routed, Aurene landed on the cliffs overlooking Atholma and met with the Commander who thanked her for her help. Learning of the Commander's dilemma over how to gather more intel on the heavily guarded Rata Primus and its environs, the scion flew around the area and shared her sight with the Commander, startling the latter with the visual experience. Aurene's scouting revealed a protective shield around Rata Primus, a growing number of Awakened in the area, and a communications tower used to coordinate the Inquest's ground-based facilities and forces. Using Aurene's intel to their advantage, the Commander sneaked into the compounds to disable the shields and had Olmakhan prevent them from being repaired so the Commander could assault Rata Primus directly and search for the asura gate hub which Palawa Joko, the ruler of Elona, was using to send his Awakened forces to invade Tyria.
The assault on Rata Primus ended with the destruction of the gate hub and much of the facility itself. However, Joko managed to acquire the Inquest's Scarab Plague samples and flee after stalling the Commander by sending Commander Lonai, the woman from Aurene's vision in Amnoon, to fight the party. After rescuing Taimi's old friends Blish and Gorrik from the facility and narrowly escaping with Braham, the Commander reunited with allies aboard their corsair ally Sayida the Sly's airship and saw Aurene among them.
When Joko attempted to unleash his modified Scarab Plague on the Free City of Amnoon and sent dozens on Awakened to take out the Commander at the docks, Aurene came to the rescue and incinerated the Awakened while assisting the Commander in stopping the scarabs from spreading. When the Commander traveled to the Domain of Kourna to establish a foothold for the allied army so they could stop Joko's plans to improve the Scarab Plague at Gandara, the Moon Fortress, Aurene followed her champion and helped the allied army in their fights against the Awakened army.
The Commander and Braham sneaked into Gandara via the sewers while the rest of the allied army, including primeval ghosts, focused on fighting the Awakened and stopping the third generation of Scarab Plague from spreading outside the fortress. The pair confronted Joko, only to fall into the lich king's trap. While Joko gloated about his impending victory and prepared to execute both the incapacitated Commander and Braham, Aurene stealthily entered the fortress and attacked Joko, catching the lich by surprise. She devoured Joko and the magic that burst out of his body and snapped at the Commander who tried to approach her. Aurene eventually collapsed from exhaustion, and Canach speculated that absorbing Balthazar's magic might have changed her.
After the Battle of Gandara, Aurene flew around the Elonian countryside and assisted people in need, defending villages and cleaning up the Branded. The scion's dedication to protecting Elona tired her, however, and she eventually collapsed on the Fortress of Jahai during a summit between various factions who were about to decide Elona's future in the wake of King Joko's death. The appearance of the dragon who had killed Joko caused alarm among the factions who had been loyal to the lich king, and threatened to end the peace talks before they could properly begin. Aurene refused to move from the grand hall until the Commander appeared there and convinced the scion to follow Taimi out of the fortress for a stroll.
Kralkatorrik's Branded assaulted the fortress and the rest of Jahai Bluffs through rifts connecting to the Mists shortly after, however, and the Death-Branded Shatterer chased after the scion. As Aurene flew over Crescent's Prosperity, the Branded opened rifts while hunting her and caused the village below to be Branded.
After having successfully evaded the Shatterer, the exhausted Aurene fell out of the sky over Gandara where a party led by Taimi located her and brought her back to Jahai Bluffs. Gathering a few displaced civilians along the way, they entered Sun's Refuge, which the Commander's team had recently liberated from territorial cave spiders led by the Colossal Broodmother, in order to give Aurene and the civilians a safe place to rest in. However, upon thinking back on the timing of Branded attacks coinciding with Aurene's appearances in various locations, the Commander and Taimi came to the conclusion that Kralkatorrik was using his connection to the scion to track her movements from the Mists and send his Branded after her.
Shortly after the revelation, the Branded assaulted Sun's Refuge via another rift, forcing the Commander to take a select few allies to fight the Branded while the rest of the allies stayed in the heart of Sun's Refuge to protect Aurene and the civilians. With the unexpected help provided by the ghosts of Eir Stegalkin and Snaff, the rift was closed. The ghosts had returned with a dire message from Glint herself: Kralkatorrik had begun consuming the magical energy in the Mists after accessing the realm with Balthazar's magic, and Aurene and the Commander needed to enter the Mists to stop the Elder Dragon and have Aurene replace him according to Glint's prophecy before reality itself would be devoured.
Backed into a corner, Aurene revealed a vision to the people present. She showed multiple potential scenarios of their future attempts to defeat Kralkatorrik with varying equipment and allies—including the Pact fleet, the MEGA-LIT cannon, Awakened trebuchets and soldiers, Braham, Caithe, Canach, Rox, Rytlock Brimstone, Taimi in Scruffy, and an enigmatic deadeye priestess who would later be revealed as Zafirah—only for each outcome to end in Aurene's death. Terrified by the vision and pressured by Eir and Snaff's demands, the scion roared in anguish and fled outside, leaving her allies reeling without her.
After attaching a tracker to Kralkatorrik with Blish's help in the Mists, the Commander returned to Sun's Refuge to deliver the news of Blish's sacrifice and pondered where the party should begin looking for Aurene. Much to their surprise Caithe appeared out of the shadows, suggesting that she could help them. After sufficient time had passed for the group to mourn Blish's passing, Caithe let the Commander know about her experiences with Aurene in Tarir and that it was in the scion's nature to go off alone whenever she felt troubled. The sylvari pointed out that Aurene would be ready when the party needed the scion to help them.
To ease Aurene's anxiety and remind her how much she was loved, Taimi decided to build the scion a comfortable nest in Sun's Refuge. She asked the Commander to collect gifts for the nest from various people, whom Aurene had helped during the party's travels throughout Elona and the Crystal Desert, in preparation for the scion's return.
Following her troubling visions, Aurene used her new Mist-traversing abilities to retreat to a section of Glint's Trials concealed in the Mists. The Commander and Caithe tracked her there in 1332 AE and witnessed her mourning next to the corpse of her mother. After the pair had comforted her, the scion decided to accompany the Commander to the last set of trials Glint had set up in preparation for the final confrontation with Kralkatorrik. Aurene learned to facilitate her absorption of powerful magics and use it to shape and mold Kralkatorrik's Brand crystals, and faced her greatest fear, which manifested as Branded Aurene, together with the Commander.
The scion and her champion ultimately passed Glint's trials by proving their partnership and trust for one another. Aurene was taken to a private area in the lair where she communicated with Glint about the specifics of Ascension which could only be expressed between dragons. Upon returning to the Commander and Caithe and leaving for Thunderhead Keep where their allies were already waiting for them, the scion's scales had gained a faint blue glow, and she was no longer afraid of death.
As the trio emerged from a portal in Thunderhead Keep, they met with Zafirah, who sensed a trace of Balthazar in Aurene, and heard a Zephyrite choir singing a song about Aurene being the hope of Tyria. While the Commander explored the Forge, Aurene stayed with Zafirah and Caithe for a while to get acquainted with the priestess. She eventually joined the Commander in clearing Branded crystals from local dredge pumps to convince the dredge to lend some of their oil supply for the Pact. With the materials ready, the scion helped the Commander forge the first of the many mass-produced albeit inferior Dragonsblood Spears to come for the battle ahead.
After the forging, the Commander learned from the ghost of Gwen Thackeray that Glint's spectral army of Mist Wardens had been overrun in the Mists, and Kralkatorrik had entered the Domain of the Lost where he was scattering and devouring the dead. In the wake of the ghost's visit, a Mist rift opened and brought in a horde of invading Branded. Aurene channeled her power through the Forge's resonance crystal to defeat Kralkatorrik's minions, then shocked everyone by Branding over the residual Brandstorm to stop it from spreading.
As many of the Commander's allies argued about this troubling new power and if the scion could become a liability in the future, Aurene grew frustrated by her inability to speak and defend herself. Caithe finally offered herself to Aurene as a vessel to speak through and stepped into the scion's Brand. The act resulted in teal crystalline flowers blossoming over Caithe as a deep mental and emotional bond joined her and Aurene—an experience far different from the violent subjugation of Kralkatorrik's Branding. Speaking through Caithe, Glint's second scion uttered her first words: "I am not him."
Aurene's gesture reassured her allies, and together they came up with an improvised plan to lure Kralkatorrik into the Forge and use the resonance crystals, boosted by dredge technology and Zephyrite songs, to help destroy him. While the Commander rallied the troops with an inspiring speech, Aurene joined Caithe near the first resonance crystal of the Auditorium deep within the keep. After a few reassuring words from the Commander, the scion entered the Mists only to return shortly after, luring the Elder Dragon to the Pact's trap.
While Kralkatorrik was being distracted by the Pact's attacks, Aurene Branded the Elder Dragon's neck to the wall so he could not force himself deeper into the mountain. With the help of the Zephyrite choir and the dredge's sonic amplifying technology, the scion and her champion unleashed the sounds of three resonance crystals on Kralkatorrik to wound him and attacked him on the revealed weak points every time he became disoriented.
In the final stages of the battle, Kralkatorrik mustered all his strength to annihilate his opposition which stood in his way to Aurene. Channeling the powers of the slain Zhaitan, Mordremoth, Balthazar as well as his own power all at once, the Elder Dragon released a major surge of dragon energy only to be blocked by Braham's shield bubble which Aurene had boosted with her magic. The resulting blast was enough to knock the allied forces down and leave the Commander and Aurene to face the weakened Crystal Dragon in the depths of the keep where they successfully damaged one of his eyes and prepared to deliver the killing blow.
However, Kralkatorrik recovered at the last moment and fired another blast of dragon energy to kill the Commander, only to be countered by the scion who darted in front of it and fired a blast of her own. The resulting explosion destroyed one of the Crystal Dragon's eyes but also caused the scion to be impaled by Branded spikes, piercing her heart and killing her as her visions had foretold. Wounded but victorious, Kralkatorrik managed to shake himself free from Aurene's Brand and returned to the Mists, leaving the injured Commander and the remnants of the allied army to mourn the scion's death.
Child of my child... [...] You are more than I. Death does not stop you. The magics do not torment you. They belong within you.
After gathering to pay tribute to Aurene's corpse some time after the battle, Caithe was heartbroken by Kralkatorrik's crystals piercing Aurene and decided to snap one off, causing a slight tremor. Curious about this sudden effect, a few Zephyrite singers and the Commander agreed to help Caithe in her task, and together they removed another crystal, causing a reaction in Aurene and returning life to Caithe's Branded flowers. The Commander used Aurene's Resonating Blast skill on the remaining Branded spikes on her body; the crystals shattered completely, revealing that the scion was alive once more but could now speak without needing Caithe as a conduit.
Aurene explained that she had been saved because she had consumed Palawa Joko's lich magic at Gandara, which had made her immortal and fulfilled one of the conditions of Glint's prophecy, but she had not been able to heal herself earlier because of the Branded crystal which had pierced her heart. Following the revelation, Aurene urged the Commander to follow her into the Mists to find and drive the injured Kralkatorrik back to Tyria before he could heal himself and devour all reality while the Commander's allies mobilized to rendezvous with the pair to face the Elder Dragon together.
Riding atop the revitalized and now empowered Aurene, the Commander used the scion's skills to track down and attack Kralkatorrik in the Mists, following him from Melandru's Lost Domain to Grenth's Underworld and finally to Balthazar's Fissure of Woe. The aerial battle concluded when Aurene successfully blasted off Kralkatorrik's left wing and forced him through a portal back to Tyria into the Unending Ocean, where the Elder Dragon was buried under what became known as Dragonfall, a landmass of the three god-realm islands torn from the Mists.
Following the return to Tyria, Aurene landed in a newly established Pact outpost on Dragonfall and set off after planning the offensive with Dragon's Watch and Pact command. Inspired by Aurene saving their lives in Thunderhead Keep, several volunteers from various races had founded the Order of the Crystal Bloom to revere her and had come to assist in the battle against the Elder Dragon.
Later, Aurene called the Commander to her after discovering and befriending a new Mists-born species of lesser dragons she called skyscales. Because Kralkatorrik had begun generating constant Brandstorms around his half-buried body and disrupting mechanical devices, the scion suggested that the Commander use one of the skyscales instead to reach Kralkatorrik's severed wing and collect the Elder Dragon's blood to forge a true, upgraded successor to the original Dragonsblood Spear to help in the coming fight. Meanwhile, Aurene would lead the rest of the skyscales to combat Kralkatorrik and his amassing Branded horde. Once the Commander had successfully tested the improved Dragonsblood Spear on a weak point on Kralkatorrik's claw and heard him roar in pain, Aurene responded with a roar of bloodthirsty delight.
Learning that the Pact's attempt to kill Kralkatorrik was failing due to the Elder Dragon consuming a hidden ley line under his body to heal himself, the Commander, Caithe, Zafirah, and Rytlock accompanied Aurene through a cave to his head where they defend Aurene while she sealed off the ley lines with her crystal magic. Meanwhile, the Pact, led by General Almorra Soulkeeper and Pact Marshal Logan Thackeray, distracted the Branded swarm by assaulting the Elder Dragon's exposed body. When the final ley line was closed, the Pact struck at Kralkatorrik, killing his body. However, despite his body's death, energy still remained within Kralkatorrik, and the Commander and Aurene realized they had to fly into the Crystal Dragon's body through his mouth to destroy his heart while the rest of the party stayed behind to defend the ley lines from amassing Branded.
Once inside the Elder Dragon, the pair heard Kralkatorrik address them directly, and Aurene was distressed by sensing her grandfather's pain. As they advanced to Kralkatorrik's core, they learned of the Crystal Dragon's inner torment and regret, and ended up fighting against a manifestation of Kralkatorrik's torment which shielded his heart. To weaken the manifestation of torment, the pair defeated and sealed off facets of magic which Kralkatorrik had absorbed from Balthazar, Mordremoth, and Zhaitan, while Kralkatorrik's calm voice urged the pair on and argued with his violent, tormented side.
In the end, Kralkatorrik's Torment was overpowered, and Aurene came to realize the suffering the Elder Dragon had been through for millennia. As a result, her bloodthirst to see Kralkatorrik die was gradually replaced by sympathy towards her grandfather who had genuinely cared for his family until his torment had made him act against them and cause destruction in his wake. After sharing a brief moment of peace with his grieving granddaughter, the weary Kralkatorrik urged the Commander to pierce his heart with the Dragonsblood Spear so that Aurene may take his place as an Elder Dragon to fulfill the first part of Glint's legacy. Upon consuming Kralkatorrik's magic, Aurene shared one final moment with her champion and their companions before she ascended and flew off into a beautiful sunset, emerging as a fully fledged Elder Dragon of Light to replace her grandfather in the All.
In the revived Festival of the Four Winds that followed Aurene's ascension, several attending Zephyrites talked about Aurene and expressed their relief and pride that they had completed their mission by ensuring that Aurene had fulfilled the prophecy. They also answered visitors' questions about their relationship with the new Elder Dragon of Light and how they had tended to the egg that had once contained her. The Zephyrites built a tribute to Aurene, commemorating their deeds and honoring both the Elder Prismatic Dragon and Dragon's Watch who had saved Tyria from destruction.
Despite Aurene earning the goodwill of many of the people who she had fought with and saved over the past months, some Tyrians were not won over by her actions. During the revived Dragon Bash festival organized in Hoelbrak after Kralkatorrik's demise, some revelers argued that all dragons should be hunted down because destruction was in their nature and they would enslave other races to do their bidding before discarding their subjugated slaves who had outlived their usefulness. The revelers also implied that Aurene could become a threat to the world in the future, while Sons of Svanir had ominous remarks about the Elder Dragon Jormag's growing influence.
Prior to the All-Legion Rally hosted by Blood Legion Imperator Bangar Ruinbringer as the charr's version of celebrating Kralkatorrik's demise, Aurene set about converting Kralkatorrik's Brand Crystals. Aurene's purified Brand was distinct from Kralkatorrik's, Vlast's, and even her own pre-Ascension variety. According to Tribune Crecia Stoneglow, Aurene had converted several Brand scars south of Blood Keep prior to the arrival of Dragon's Watch in the Blood Legion Homelands.
During the festival's opening ceremony, several Branded emerged from the ground and attacked everyone present. Aurene interrupted Ryland Steelcatcher's ceremonial killing of a Champion Branded Devourer, Branding the creature in a large pillar to prevent more Branded from flocking to it. The event heightened tensions at the ceremony, as many charr perceived the new Elder Dragon to be a weapon controlled by the Pact Commander.
Later, while exploring Grothmar Valley, the Commander came across Kralkatorrik's Emergence Zone, which had been purified by Aurene. The Durmand Priory had scholars investigating the site, and the scholars noted that the area was home to the largest swath of Aurene Brand yet. The Order of the Crystal Bloom likewise appeared in Grothmar Valley to study Aurene's Branding.
The Commander eventually got involved in events that revealed Bangar's plan to steal Braham's fire-enchanted longbow, recruit warmongering charr into his Dominion and awaken and subjugate Jormag, whom Balthazar had injured years earlier, as the charr's counter to Aurene. The Blood Imperator viewed the balance of power as asymmetrical, and he intended to balance the scales by claiming Jormag for himself. Jormag, meanwhile, was also spreading their influence over the Far Shiverpeaks, using their champion Drakkar to spread the Ice Dragon's whispers into susceptible minds.
After reuniting with the Blood Imperator and his protege Ryland Steelcatcher, the Commander, Braham, Crecia and Rytlock joined forces with them to defeat the true conduit of Jormag's voice that emerged from within Drakkar: the Whisper of Jormag. Shortly after defeating the Ice Dragon's avatar, however, Bangar announced his intention to not just restore the balance of power but get rid of both the Commander and Aurene so he would reign with the powers bestowed by the soon-to-be subjugated Jormag. Bangar finished his threat by shooting the Commander with the fire-enchanted bow with nearly fatal results, forcing the party to flee from Drakkar's lair after Braham had fought the charr pair off.
The Commander found themself taken to the Eye of the North where Aurene had guided them. The Prismatic Elder Dragon had taken residence at the site, drawn in by the magical visions granted by the Scrying Pool. Aurene revealed that she had been inactive on Tyria due to focusing most of her efforts on repairing the Mists from the damage Kralkatorrik's rampage had caused. She also pointed out that she was aware of Jormag's communication with the Commander and found the Ice Dragon's offers for an alliance curious as she could not ascertain Jormag's motive yet.
While the Commander was recovering in the Eye of the North, Aurene revealed to them a vision in the Scrying Pool. The visions showed the pair Ryland's experiences fighting for Bangar's army as well as the charr pair encountering Almorra whom Bangar had killed in Darkrime Delves after the general had tried to force him to abandon his campaign to awaken Jormag.
Although Aurene had initially viewed Bangar as a mere piece in the puzzle, the vision had shown her that the Blood Imperator's ambitions and role was far more dangerous than even she had foreseen. She told the Commander that while she did not know what Jormag was planning, Bangar had to be stopped. Aurene also stated that the charr were being divided into a civil war due to Bangar's growing influence and that she did not want to intervene directly as she feared that her presence on the battlefield would only make the conflict worse. Instead, the Prismatic Dragon entrusted the Commander with the mission to assist the United Legions and stop Bangar.
Although the Commander's party managed to fight their way into the Frost Citadel in the Drizzlewood Coast to confront and battle Bangar, they were unable to prevent Bangar and Ryland from awakening Jormag. However, the Ice Dragon subverted their expectations by turning Bangar into their latest Voice while rewarding Ryland, who had been more genuine about wanting to awaken Jormag than Bangar who had only wanted to do it to subjugate the Elder Dragon, with the rank of champion. Before departing into the Mists with Ryland, Jormag left Bangar as a gift to the party so the Ice Dragon could communicate with them through him.
After the party returned to the Eye of the North, the former Blood Imperator was placed in a cell which Aurene had enchanted so Jormag could not eavesdrop on their conversations without her permission. Aurene revealed that she had heard ley energy shifting, and she could sense Jormag using the Mists to traverse through Tyria although the Ice Dragon was neither corrupting nor destroying anything. She urged the Commander and their party to prepare the world for the fight to come while she would wait for Jormag's next move.
Conversations in the Eye of the North
Aurene has shown exceptional abilities even while unhatched. While still in Glint's Egg, she was able to gift her chosen champion, the Pact Commander, with various temporary skills with which to evade danger while denying similar abilities from other people who carried the egg such as Caithe and the Master of Peace.
Both before and after hatching, Aurene has been able to warn of future events in the form of prophetic visions, an ability shared with at least two other members of the Crystal Dragon family: her mother Glint and her grandfather Kralkatorrik. This is seen in her granting the Commander a vision of Zojja and Logan Thackeray in the clutches of Mordremoth, and of her imminent hatching and the coming attack from Primordus's minions while still in the egg. After hatching, she has been able to project these visions to multiple people in her vicinity as seen when she granted a vision of an imminent Awakened invasion from Fahranur, the First City, or when she shared potential future attempts of her and her allies taking on Kralkatorrik only for each variation ultimately leading to her death. She also has the ability to mentally communicate with her chosen champion, sharing her name and preferred gender as well as projecting ghostly visions in front of her champion from a great distance.
Aurene can Brand over existing dragon corruption to purify it as seen with her turning Kralkatorrik's hazardous Dragonbrand into her less dangerous prismatic Brand in Grothmar Valley and beyond. She has the ability to "corrupt" beings and elements into prismatic minions, but unlike other Elder Dragons, she does not violently subjugate beings but "bonds" with them instead. She only "corrupts" those who freely choose to embrace her power as seen with Caithe's transformation where the process was described as "connection" with a deep mental and emotional bond. Caithe's uniqueness as the currently only prismatic champion of Aurene allows her to sense Aurene's inner emotions in a manner that almost overwhelms her.
Due to being exposed to multiple conflicting magics before hatching and during her adolescence, Aurene is suggested to be more resistant to Torment than other Elder Dragons. However, this resistance has been teased to potentially not be permanent if she continues exposing herself to more magic without sharing it via bonding with mortals.
Like other Elder Dragons, Aurene presumably has a unique weakness although it is as of yet unknown whether she has inherited the crystal blood resonance weakness from her predecessor Kralkatorrik or if she has a new unique weakness.
- Domain of Istan (During related events only)
- Domain of Kourna (randomly)
- Auric Basin
- Eye of the North
- Thunderhead Keep
- For story involvement prior to her hatching, see Glint's Egg.
- Episode 1: Daybreak
- Episode 2: A Bug in the System
- Episode 3: Long Live the Lich
- Episode 4: A Star to Guide Us
- Episode 5: All or Nothing
- Episode 6: War Eternal
- Prologue: Bound by Blood
- Coming Home (noticeable by effect only)
- Episode 2: Shadow in the Ice
- Visions of the Past: Steel and Fire
- Episode 4: Jormag Rising
- Episode 5: Champions
- Act I
- Act II
- The Future in Jade (voice only)
- Act III
- Fallout (voice only)
- Act IV
- Weight of the World (voice only)
- Act V
- Clear the Northern Awakened Forces (80) [Group Event]
- Clear the Awakened forces from the courtyard (80) [Group Event]
- Trample scarabs with your mount to contain the outbreak (80)
- Defeat a Ghost Eater and a Mordant Crescent Intimidator (80)
- Escort Melandru's Tears to the Olmakhan camp (80)
- Escort Soul Binders to the Crystal Bloom camp (80)
- Escort Eternal Embers to the Olmakhan camp (80)
- Engage Kralkatorrik (80) [Group Event]
- Adolescent Dragon
- Dragon's Rage - You share in Aurene's power. Gain 5% outgoing damage and damage reduction per stack, to a maximum of 8 stacks. Remaining near Aurene while gaining stacks grants temporary invulnerability. (during To Kill a God)
- Gift of the Scion - Aurene has gifted you a small amount of protective, renewing, invigorating energy. Does not stack. (during To Kill a God)
- Aurene's Fury - Damage from all attacks increased by 20%. (during The Crystal Dragon)
- Branded Lightning Shield (during Descent)
- Coordinated Attack - Combo attack between Aurene(Flaming Breath attack) and Pact Commander(Equipped Weapon).
- Resonating Blast - Pact Commander channels Aurene's Power in explosive blast.
- Enfeebling Flame - Fires a breath of enfeebling flame in front of her.
- Aurene looks up at you adoringly.
- Smile at Aurene to show your affection.
- Play catch with Aurene.
- Give Aurene the dragon hatchling doll.
- Divinity's Reach.
Give Aurene a souvenir from
- One of the following:
- <Character name>: Something special just for you.
- <Character name>: A little something from the outside world.
- Black Citadel. (Same as above) Give Aurene a souvenir from the
- Hoelbrak. (Same as above) Give Aurene a souvenir from
- Rata Sum. (Same as above) Give Aurene a souvenir from
- the Grove. (Same as above) Give Aurene a souvenir from
- Orr. (Same as above) Give Aurene a souvenir from
- Zephyrites. (Same as above) Give Aurene a souvenir from the
- Never mind.
- Primary article: Mother's Lament#Ambient dialogue
Aurene's body in The End.
- Concept art
Teenager Aurene early concept art by Kate Pfeilschiefter.
Adolescent Aurene concept art by Zhengyi Wang.
All or Nothing release banner.
All or Nothing wallpaper with Aurene and Glint.
Landfall loading screen with Aurene and the Pact Commander.
- Size comparisons
- Rising Flames: Maintain Aurene's Shield — Don't let Aurene's shield drop below 50% health. (2)
- A Crack in the Ice: Cultural Attaché — Bring Aurene souvenirs from around Tyria to teach her about the cultures of the world. (5 )
- A Crack in the Ice: Gift of Aurene — Collect the 8 parts to create an Aurene mini. (5)
- All or Nothing: Conquer Your Fears — Execute a powerful and cooperative strike on Branded Aurene with Aurene. (1 )
- War Eternal: Celebrity Sighting — Be assisted by a familiar face in the battle of Dragonfall. (0 )
- Jormag Rising: Confer with Bangar — Speak with Bangar Ruinbringer at the Eye of the North. (2 )
- Ruka calling Aurene "Glint's second scion" is in reference to Vlast, Aurene's older brother and Glint's eldest child.
- Despite initially residing in the Inner Chamber of Tarir, Aurene does not show up in the open world version of the chamber and is instead represented as an egg. She can presently only be encountered as a hatchling in Living World Season 3 and Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire story instances and in a special personal instance introduced in A Crack in the Ice. From Daybreak until Descent, Aurene appears as a more grown up dragonling.
- Gorrik refers to Aurene as a "Prismatic Dragon".
- Aurene is voiced by Nika Futterman.
- Aurene has her own leitmotif, called "Aurene's Theme", which was composed by Maclaine Diemer. The song "Aurene, Dragon Full of Light" is centered around her, acting as a secondary theme for her as the savior of Tyria.
- Aurene was named after aurene glass, which has an iridescent, translucent finish, because they share a color palette as stated during the Guild Chat on December 9, 2016.
- The initial art notes for baby Aurene described her as "Cute little female undead baby crystal dragon, infused by the power of Primordus and embeded with Mordremoth's energy".
- The Zephyrites built Aurene and her mother Glint a tribute which stands atop the Labyrinthine Cliffs since Festival of the Four Winds 2018.
- The Path of Fire mastery track Crystal Champion is a reference to the bond between Aurene and her champion, the Pact Commander.
|* In the page promoting the pre-purchase of the Aurene Elder Dragon Premium Collector Statue, Aurene is described as "the gentlest and most beautiful of Elder Dragons."|
- Associated items
- Weapons of the Scion
- Ascended Aurene Clothing Outfit
- Aurene Dye Kit
- Aurene Logo Cape
- Aurene Wings Backpack and Glider Combo
- Aurene's Crystalline Diadem Skin
- Aurene's Crystalline Claws
- Aurene's Prismatic Griffon
- Aurene's Prismatic Raptor
- Aurene's Prismatic Skyscale
- Fuzzy Aurene Hat
- Herald of Aurene Cape
- Herald of Aurene Outfit
- Mini Adolescent Aurene
- Mini Aurene
- Mini Baby Aurene Funko POP!
- Mini Circle of Love Aurene
- Mini Festive Aurene
- Mini Guardian Angel Aurene
- Mini Plush Aurene
- Mini Squire Aurene
- Plush Baby Aurene Backpack
- Scion's Claw
- Scion-Spike Amulet
- Guild Chat episode 45: Baby Aurene, YouTube.com
- Baby Aurene's first Wintersday celebration, Twitter.com
- "Aurene, Dragon Full of Light" sheet music for mixed choir, Cloudfront.net
- Aurene Elder Dragon Premium Collector Statue pre-purchase, GuildWars2.com
- ^ Roaring Flames
- Jormag: Oh, Dragon of Crystal and Light—do I intimidate you?
- ^ Contact Point
- ^ Chaos Theory
- Merchant: We saw that dragon fly overhead—the one who's been helping people.
- Merchant: Next thing we knew, the sky tore open, and then...our home was gone.
- ^ Storm Tracking
- Taimi: But there is no way we can do this without Aurene. We have to find her.
- Braham Eirsson: How? She didn't exactly leave a note.
- Familiar Voice: I think I can help with that.
- Caithe: The priestess was right. You do need better security.
- Caithe: We have a lot to talk about, don't we?
- ^ Sun's Refuge ambient dialogue
- ^ Bazaar Docks ambient dialogue
- ^ Dragon Bash ambient dialogue
- ^ a b Coming Home
- Crecia Stoneglow: The Elder Dragon. One of our scouts spotted it doing...something to the old Brand scars just south of here.
- Crecia Stoneglow: What are its orders?
- <Character name>: Aurene doesn't take orders from us. As for the Brand scars—we believe she's purifying them, for lack of a better word.
- ^ Researcher Grunn
- ^ Longeye's Landslide ambient dialogue
- ^ Prized Possessions
- Ruka the Wanderer: You said you felt the hatchling's power. Channel it to push through the vines.
- <Character name>: This energy, it reminds me of the Zephyrite crystals, but it's stronger.
- Ruka the Wanderer: Glint's offspring has chosen you. Channel this gift to get the egg to safety. [...]
- Character name>: You could have tried to take the egg. Why didn't you?
- Ruka the Wanderer: I don't want to possess the egg. I want to protect it. It chose you as its bearer.
- ^ City of Hope
- <Character name>: What? I think the egg...showed me that.
- <Character name>: Mordremoth is using Logan, Zojja, and Trahearne... If we don't get to them soon, we'll be fighting an army of them. [...]
- <Character name>: But now I need to rejoin my friends. Mordremoth is still a threat, and the egg just showed me how dire that threat is.
- ^ Old Foes, Old Ghosts
- Rhoban:: Hey! Where'd you float off to just now? You all right?
- <Character name>: I just had a vision. A pretty ominous one.
- Rhoban: A vision? You sure it's not just the heat playing tricks on you?
- <Character name>: This was no hallucination. I have to get back to Tarir as soon as possible.
- ^ a b Dragon Vigil
- <Character name>: The egg called to me. Is everything okay? [...]
- <Character name>: You've been a lot of things, Caithe, but you've never been an enemy of this dragon.
- Caithe: I'll lay down my life for... What should we call it?
- <Character name>: Her. Her name is Aurene.
- Caithe: You decided that quite fast.
- <Character name>: It wasn't a decision. I just...knew.
- ^ Eye of the Brandstorm
- Taimi: Did everybody see that? I'm not the only one that saw that, right?
- <Character name>: Aurene... I don't understand. That was... What was that?
- Rytlock Brimstone: It wasn't good.
- Canach: The screams...
- Shadows Agent Kito: I don't know about the rest of it, but the city? Looked a lot like Fahranur.
- ^ Legacy
- Gorrik: What was that?
- Blish: The battle with Kralkatorrik. Aurene has had a premonition. A vision of the future... Of MULTIPLE futures...
- Taimi: The outcome is always the same. No matter what we do...
- <Character name>: Aurene dies.
- ^ Precocious Aurene
- <Character name>: Aurene? What are you doing out here?
- <Character name>: That was...odd. Must've been some sort of projection. [...]
- Luminate: Ah, Commander. Excellent timing—I was just about to send word. Aurene has been calling for you.
- <Character name>: Yes, I know. She's been appearing to me. Much like she is right now.
- Luminate: Aurene? What are you talking about?
- <Character name>: And she's gone. Didn't you see her?
- Luminate: Interesting... I saw nothing. You must've made quite an impression on her. It's as if she's chosen you to light her path.
- ^ The Crystal Blooms
- Canach: Oh, good—another dragon that can corrupt sylvari.
- <Character name>: Caithe, are you...YOU?
- Caithe: Oh, I'm me. We were right—she DOES need both of us. Now I know what my role is. And it's...humbling.
- Taimi: I thought dragon minions couldn't be corrupted by other dragons! Is it 'cause her egg absorbed Mordremoth's magic? How—
- Caithe: Taimi, it's all right. She asked, and I accepted. This isn't corruption—it's connection. [...]
- <Character name>: What's it like, Caithe? What's SHE like?
- Caithe: Like...the sunlight. Does that make sense?
- Caithe: I can feel her love for you. Her trust. It's so intense, it's almost painful. You're where she draws her strength from. [...]
- Story journal: Caithe finally offered herself to Aurene as a vessel to speak through and stepped into Aurene's Brand. The result was astounding: teal crystalline flowers blossomed over her as a deep mental and emotional bond joined them—an experience far different from the violent subjugation of Kralkatorrik's Branding. Speaking through Caithe, Aurene uttered her first words: "I am not him."
- ^ Descent
- Kralkatorrik: You are more than I.
- Kralkatorrik: Death does not stop you.
- Kralkatorrik: The magics do not torment you.
- Kralkatorrik: They belong within you.
- ^ Scion & Champion
- Glint: You will see, Scion, that absorbing magic comes naturally. But the power, its temptations...they exact a price.
- Glint: Champion, this magic is powerful and dangerous. Share the burden so she can absorb it. [...]
- Glint: Good. Power has many uses, Scion. By choosing to share it and heal wounds, you strengthen your bond with mortals.
- Glint: Remember that bond. As the power grows, so will the dangers. And the temptations.
- Glint: More powerful still, and more dangerous...
- Glint: Well done. When Elder Dragons gorge on magic with abandon, the world falls out of balance. We have no choice but to act.
- Glint: To use power responsibly is to know when and how to share it—and when not to use it at all. Now continue to the next trial.
- ^ Living World Magazine
- ^ Comment by Eve Eschenbacher, Reddit.com
- ^ Aurene by Ronald Kury, ArtStation.com
- ^ Prepurchase Your Elder Dragon Aurene Collector’s Statue, GuildWars2.com